IGNORED

Buying a new motorbike

gogo dog

I'm undecided on my next bike..Between the PCX and the Elegance I think...The PCX has the same Honda Wave/Dream 125CC engine for Twice More Money...Wimpy Engine in my opinion and not enough Power especially with 2 people...A strain to keep up with Traffic if you were taking a trip to Koh Samed south of Rayong or Further...

If Honda had put a 150CC or Larger engine in this big body Bike Sales would Be so much better in my opinion..It then would be much more desirable for me to buy one...

The way they have it now I'm buying a Honda Wave on a Buffalo Body..555555

No place on the Planet like Pattaya..Don't let your meat loaf

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last year I bought an old kickstart Honda wave 100 for 7,000 baht.

Years ago I used to ride a Honda 90 back and to to work in the UK (Fine for a 10 mile run, although I did look a bit strange with a full face and belstaffs) - while my Suzuki GT750 stayed in the dry.

Had loads of fun, chamfers on the legshields, generally being a hooligan - and not many cars beat me away from the lights.

While I'm past the chamfers on the legshields and being a hooligan, I have to say that the wave is still enjoyable around Pattaya - you don't need anything much bigger in town - I'm 90kg, and it pulls OK. If you're quick on the gearchanges, and can get to the front of the queue at the lights then you're still one of the first away. It seems to be unburstable.

Only problem with it is that the previous owner had put these fashionable skinny tyres on it - makes it very skittish, and I don't like them - I'll change them back to standard at some point.

I guess my point is that for trips to the bar, and the odd bit of shopping with the (Thai) wife on the back, the wave is fine. Anything bigger is a bonus.

Just my three hape'orth.

There are only 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't !!!

I have been doing a lot of research on the net.

Thinking about Suzuki Hayate 125. Air cooled, generally water cooled is better. Can be good as air cooled is simpler. Fuel injected. 16inch spoke wheels standard but alloys available for a few more thousand baht. Not sure if they are tubeless tyres.

Read that the alloys can take tubless tyres, not sure if they are supplied when you upgrade to the rims though.

Anyone know if they have the injected Hayates in stock in Pattaya?

I am exceedingly happy with my D-Tracker (assuming I still have it) for its power and compactness and ability to cope with speed humps, potholes and sleeping dogs.

As a scoot I am also happy with my Yamaha X1r 135cc (conventional clutch and gears) but they don't import it into Thailand any more AFAIK (Thais like one hand free).

If I had to buy a new scoot today I'm sure it would be the Yamaha Spark 135cc CDi.

For some reason it hasn't been mentioned in the comparisons, but it is very popular here and the price is low (about 47k?) relative to some of the full autos mentioned.

The Spark is semi-auto i.e. kick down. If you live here you'll know they can go like the wind and just check what one of the very few factory trained mechanics rides (Thepprasit Rd shop).

IMO it scores highly on style, but it doesn't have much underseat storage, so a back box is handy.

From Wiki' .............................

Yamaha T135 is an underbone motorcycle. It is also known as the Spark 135 in Thailand, Sniper in the Philippines,Jupiter MX in Indonesia, 135LC in Malaysia, Exciter in Vietnam, and T 135 Crypton X in Greece. It is made by Yamaha Motor Companyand powered by a liquid-cooled 134.4 cc (8.20 cu in) 4-stroke engine. It is considered a better fit for circuit racing than its rival Honda Sonic 125 and the Suzuki Raider 150 and is one of the fastest 4-stroke underbone motorcycles in the South East Asia.

In 2008, the fuel-injected version of the Yamaha Spark 135 was launched for the Thailand market, making it the second underbone motorcycle using fuel injection after the Honda Wave 125i. There are 3 main Yamaha factories that assembles T135. These are Indonesia, Thailand and newest is Philippines.[citation needed]

In 2011, the Yamaha Y135LC was facelifted with a new instrument panel. The transmission of the Malaysian manual clutch variant was revised to 5-speed transmission from the previous 4-speed.[1]

The Spark has the same T135 engine as several other Yamahas (eg Elegance) but so far it's the only CDi model.

It is very popular in the Philippines and Malasia under several different names, where it is extensively raced. As a result, there are lots of after market parts.

This review is from India :-

New Yamaha Spark 135 Motorcycle 2011 Fuel Economy, Mileage & Average

The expected mileage of Yamaha Spark is around 30 to 40 km per liter of petrol.

The fuel tank capacity of New Yamaha Spark is 4 liter which is not impressive but keeping in view the smart and compact dimensions it is justified.

New Yamaha Spark 135 Bike 2011 Appearance, Design & Colours

The most distinguished advantage Yamaha has over its competitors is design of Yamaha Two Wheel machines and same is true for Yamaha Spark because of its stunning design and eye catching looks. Yamaha not disclosed the details about the colours of Yamaha Spark but keep in touch with us and soon you will find updates about available colours of this bike.

New Yamaha Spark 135 Bike 2011 Handling, Control & Safety Features

Yamaha Spark is blessed with Front Single-piston disc and rear drum brakes along with front Telescopic fork and rear Monoshock suspension system which makes perfectly secure and safe bike. Due to latest safety and comfort features Yamaha Spark 135 provides an excellent driving experience along with perfect handling and control. Overall New Yamaha Spark 135 Bike is amazing upcoming stepthrough Motorcycle of company.

New Yamaha Spark 135 Bike 2011 Specs, Specifications, Features

• Engine Type Forward-inclined single cylinder SOHC 4-valve 4-stroke water-cooled
  • Displacement 134.4 cc
  • Compression Ratio 10.9:1
  • Maximum Power 8.45 kW (11.49 PS) @ 8,500 rpm
  • Maximum Torque 11.65 N•m (8.59 ft•lb) @ 5,500 rpm
  • Cylinder Bore 54.0 mm
  • Stroke 58.7 mm
  • Ignition
  • Starting Electric and kick
  • Wheel Base 1245 mm
  • Tyre Size
  • Wheel Type Alloy

The Spark looks good and the specs look good too. How big is it though? Have mainly been looking at PCX, Hayate and Nouvo Elegance because I thought they were the larger Scooters more suited to larger people. I am about 100kg.

The Spark looks good and the specs look good too. How big is it though? Have mainly been looking at PCX, Hayate and Nouvo Elegance because I thought they were the larger scooters more suited to larger people. I am about 100kg.

As I said, the Spark has the same 135 cc engine as the Elegance, so power isn't an issue and it can outdrag the others you mention.

I believe the wheelbase is the same - not sure about seat height but I think so.

It is a racier looking bike with an underbone frame, which makes it look quite slender and there's not much storage (nearly none) under the seat.

The X1r I have is a Spark variant with conventional clutch/gearbox, lower set bars, fold back footpegs and rear disc - maybe it does look smaller, like a Sonic looks smaller than a Wave, but it doesn't feel smaller riding it.

The X1r came with spoked wheels, so I upsized the rims and tyres to CBR150 size. It can touch an estimated 140 on a really good day - 120 is better.

The Spark comes with cast alloys, but there are lots of aftermarket options.

I'm trying to get down from 96 kg but there's certainly no issue about that 135 cc engine hauling that sort of weight. A 40odd kg Thai can always outdrag a 100 kg farang from the lights on scoots.

If you think a bulkier looking bike camouflages someone's weight then that bulbous armchair looking PCX is probably your best choice. rolleyes.gif

There's nothing wrong with Suzuki (or Kawasaki) but in Thailand I'd say it's between Honda and Yamaha.

It really does depend what your criteria are.

As I've said, the Spark (RX model) would be my current choice for a proper scoot with a pedigree.

Read that the alloys can take tubless tyres, not sure if they are supplied when you upgrade to the rims though.

Anyone know if they have the injected Hayates in stock in Pattaya?

The shop on the corner of South Pattaya Road and Soi Buakhao has some in stock.

The shop on the corner of South Pattaya Road and Soi Buakhao has some in stock.

Thanks for the info.

Still can't decide.

If I go an auto it will be the fuel injected Hayate.

Also now looking at the Spark and Shogun.

I think the Spark and Shogun both have limited under seat storage. Maybe I could get a custom seat made with a bigger cavity that would also give me a better sitting position as I am 185cm/6 foot 1

I have too much time with no beer or women at the moment so researching and thinking about Scooters is keeping me sane.

There are different models of the Spark. The 135 with fuel injection seems to be about the quickest scooter around. I have heard they are a bit thirsty and as you say have very little under seat storage.

There are different models of the Spark. The 135 with fuel injection seems to be about the quickest scooter around. I have heard they are a bit thirsty and as you say have very little under seat storage.

If I went for a Spark would get the 135 with fuel injection. Also now looking at the Suzuki Raider 150. My mate tells me that they have no under seat storage at all though.

I think I am going to go for the Hayate, lower compression ratio means you can use pretty much any fuel. While being the fastest does sound tempting I just need a runaround and something practical.

Anyone know if you need to get a licence first or can you buy and register a bike beforehand?

I feel our choice of Bikes are Pathetic..Honda Wave 125 is the same as it was 20 years ago..Baskets in the front but if you put a bag in the basket your headlight is blocked..Few have just a little under seat storage..Spark--Wave have None..PCX is Underpowered..Big Body with a Honda Wave Engine 125..Whimpy especially for pulling up Hills with 2 people..

Mostly Girly Bikes like the Mio-Scooby-Icon Etc all over the place..Tiny tires and Small engines with no storage just minimum...

60 Million Bike riders in Thailand and Look at the Pathetic choices we have....Looks like Yamaha or Honda would pull there heads of of there asses and give us more choices to pick from..Imports are Taxed to death..Suzuki has a Crap Resale value...There colors came through when they took over the Junk Tiger bike..

Philippines has many Small bikes especially Honda with at least 155 CC Engine...Power to get out of the way of the Busses and trucks...Made in Manila so it can be made here as well...

No place on the Planet like Pattaya..Don't let your meat loaf

If I went for a Spark would get the 135 with fuel injection. Also now looking at the Suzuki Raider 150. My mate tells me that they have no under seat storage at all though.

I think I am going to go for the Hayate, lower compression ratio means you can use pretty much any fuel. While being the fastest does sound tempting I just need a runaround and something practical.

Anyone know if you need to get a licence first or can you buy and register a bike beforehand?

How much is the Hayate?

Also you don't need a license to buy, but you will probably need a Certificate of Residence from the immigration. I would advise getting a license, stops a lot of hassle when you get stopped by the law

Guys,

How much approximatively for a Honda Click (last model) second hand and Suzuki Hayate ?

I can go to Sattahip if necessary to buy cheaper.

Thanks.

Re storage, the solution is a back rack with small Givi top box.

I doubt you'll find a new Suzuki Raider 150. Assembly in Thailand of the old generation model ceased in 2007 and the new one, which you might like, is presumably an import.

The Spark T135 and the Raider are competitors elsewhere in Asia in the underbone category (lots of VDO on YouTube).

There is nothing wrong with the Hayate auto AFAIK but it isn't a big seller here, so if you buy new and then sell you may take a bigger hit than with a Honda or Yamaha.

Bike shops usually won't take PX, but Mityon gave me a decent price for my Spark against an X1r.

Anyone considering good second hand Yamaha Nouvo look HERE

How much is the Hayate?

Also you don't need a license to buy, but you will probably need a Certificate of Residence from the immigration. I would advise getting a license, stops a lot of hassle when you get stopped by the law

Edit: Sorry, these prices are old. Just found this after I read a post from Splitpin.

Last Updated Sunday, 07 February 2010 @ 10:42 PM ICT

Got these from http://www.motorcycle.in.th/

Suzuki Hayate 125 (UW125S-G) 125cc, 4-stroke, automatic, front disc brake, spoked wheels

Price 47,500 Baht

Suzuki Hayate 125 (UW125SC-G) 125cc, 4-stroke, automatic, front disc brake, alloy wheels

Price 49,500 Baht

Suzuki Hayate 125i (UW125FS-I) 125cc, 4-stroke, DCP-FI (fuel-injection), auto., front disc brake, spoked wheels

Price 49,500 Baht

Suzuki Hayate 125fi (UW125FSC-I) 125cc, 4-stroke, DCP-FI (fuel-injection), auto., front disc brake, alloy wheels

Price 52,000 Baht

Suzuki Shogun 125 (FL125S-G) 125cc. 4-stroke, kickstarter, front disc brake

Price 39,500 Baht

Suzuki Shogun 125 (FL125SD-G) 125cc. 4-stroke, electric starter, front disc brake

Price 42,500 Baht

Suzuki Shogun 125 (FL125FS-I) 125cc. 4-stroke, DCP-FI (fuel-injection) kickstarter, front disc brake

Price 44,500 Baht

Suzuki Shogun 125 (FL125FSD-I) 125cc. 4-stroke, DCP-FI (fuel-injection) electric starter, front disc brake

Price 47,000 Baht

Suzuki Raider R 150 (FU150S-D) 150cc. front and rear disc brake, spoked wheels, kick starter

EOL Price 52,360 Baht

Suzuki Raider R 150 (FU150SD-D) 150cc. front and rear disc brake, spoked wheels, electric starter

EOL Price 54,500 Baht

Honda Wave 125i Front disc brake, kickstarter, 125cc, PGM-FI (fuel injection)

Price 45,500 Baht

Honda Wave 125i Front disc brake, electric starter, 125cc, PGM-FI (fuel injection)

Price 48,500 Baht

Honda Wave 110i AT Front disc brake, electric starter, 110cc, CV-Matic transmission, PGM-FI

Price 44,900 Baht

Honda PCX Front disc brake, spoked wheels, PGM-FI (fuel injection)

Price 69,800 Baht

Honda PCX Front disc brake, spoked wheels, PGM-FI (fuel injection) ?

Honda PCX Front disc brake, alloy wheels, PGM-FI (fuel injection) ?

Yamaha Nouvo MX 2009 Front disk brake, spoked wheels, 115cc,

Price 49,000 Baht

Yamaha Nouvo Elegance Front disk brake, spoked wheels, 135cc,

Price 55,000 Baht

Yamaha Spark RX Front disk brake, spoked wheels, 135cc,

Price 47,000 Baht

Yamaha Spark RX 135i Front disk brake, alloy wheels, 135cc,

Price 52,500 Baht

Yamaha X-1R Front disk brake, spoked wheels, 135cc,

Price 46,000 Baht

Yamaha X-1R Front disk brake, alloy wheels, 135cc,

Price 48,000 Baht

Anyone considering good second hand Yamaha Nouvo look HERE

This looks pretty good. Would probably do me until they bring out an elegance with fuel injection.

Is it hard to transfer ownership? What is needed and any advice on the process would be great.

hotdogs

Those prices are well out of date, 2009 I think they were last updated, a new Honda Wave 150 is B53K now in the Pattaya dealers

hotdogs

Those prices are well out of date, 2009 I think they were last updated, a new Honda Wave 150 is B53K now in the Pattaya dealers

Thanks, I didn't realise. I went and had a closer look after your post. Found this "Last Updated Sunday, 07 February 2010 @ 10:42 PM ICT"

I edited the post. Sorry about that.

Edit: Honda Wave 150? What else is new/out lately that I haven't come across yet?

This looks pretty good. Would probably do me until they bring out an elegance with fuel injection.

Is it hard to transfer ownership? What is needed and any advice on the process would be great.

There are threads on it somewhere, but basically you need a Residence Certificate from Jomtien, for which you need to have a valid Visa (not Visa Waiver) copy copy Passport and something with an address on it.

Then it's up to you and Graham. You could use an agent but personally I would say both go up to Traffic on Rayong Road and get everything checked and the book changed and hand over the cash and you're off.

As a neutral, I would say he's aiming a little bit high, but I imagine he'd listen to a sensible offer.

hotdogs

Did a lot of searching and the only 150 Waves I found were ones that people had modified. Did you mean 125?

Did a lot of searching and the only 150 Waves I found were ones that people had modified. Did you mean 125?

I think you're right. HERE

Honda 2011 Scooter and Motorcycle Models

Honda Dream

Honda Dream 110i (ND110K)Front-Rear Drum brake, kickstart, 110cc, PGM-FI

Price 38,500 Baht

Honda Dream 110i (ND110M)Front-Rear Drum brake, Electric-Start, 110cc, PGM-FI

Honda Wave

Honda Wave 110iFront-Rear Drum brake, kickstart, 110cc, PGM-FI

Price 34,000 Baht

Honda Wave 110iFront disc brake, kickstarter, 110cc, PGM-FI (fuel injection)

Price 36,000 Baht

Honda Wave 110iFront disc brake, electric starter, 110cc, PGM-FI (fuel injection)

Price 38,000 Baht

Honda Wave 125iFront disc brake, kickstarter, 125cc, PGM-FI (fuel injection)

Price 45,500 Baht

Honda Wave 125iFront disc brake, electric starter, 125cc, PGM-FI (fuel injection)

Price 48,500 Baht

Honda Wave 110i ATFront disc brake, electric starter, 110cc, CV-Matic transmission, PGM-FI

Price 44,900 Baht

Honda PCX

Honda PCXFront disc brake, spoked wheels, PGM-FI (fuel injection)

Price 69,800 Baht

Honda PCXFront disc brake, spoked wheels, PGM-FI (fuel injection) Honda PCXFront disc brake, alloy wheels, PGM-FI (fuel injection)

Honda Air Blade

Honda Air Blade iFront disc brake, spoked wheels, 110cc, PGM-FI (fuel injection)

Price 53,000 Baht

Honda Air Blade iFront (combo) disc brake, alloy wheels, 110cc, PGM-FI (fuel injection)

Price 56,000 Baht

Honda Air Blade i B.O ProjectFront (combo) disc brake, alloy wheels, 110cc, PGM-FI (fuel injection)

Price 57,000 Baht

Honda Click

Honda Click-i Tune UpFront disc brake, spoked wheels, 110cc, PGM-FI (fuel injection)

Price 44,000 Baht

Honda Click-i Tune UpFront disc brake, alloy wheels, 110cc, PGM-FI (fuel injection)

Price 46,000 Baht

Honda Click-i Tune Up B.O projectFront disc brake, spoked wheels, 110cc, PGM-FI (fuel injection)

Price 46,000 Baht

Honda Click-i ForwardFront (combo) disc brake, alloy wheels, 110cc, PGM-FI (fuel injection)

Price 47,500 Baht

Honda Click-i Forward B.O projectFront (combo) disc brake, alloy wheels, 110cc, PGM-FI (fuel injection)

Price 49,000 Baht

Honda CZ

Honda CZ-iFront disc brake, spoked wheels, 110cc, PGM-FI (fuel injection)

Price 36,500 Baht

Honda Scoopy

Scoopy i 110 CuteFront disc brake, spoked wheels, PGM-FI (fuel injection)

Price 43,300 Baht

Scoopy i 110 FunFront disc brake, spoked wheels, PGM-FI (fuel injection)

Price 44,300 Baht

Scoopy i 110 PrestigeFront disc brake, spoked wheels, PGM-FI (fuel injection)

Price 44,800 Baht

No licence required to purchase a bike (although it would be wise to get one), you will also need a residency certificate. I think you may need a visa but am unsure about that.

There are threads on it somewhere, but basically you need a Residence Certificate from Jomtien, for which you need to have a valid Visa (not Visa Waiver) copy copy Passport and something with an address on it.

No licence required to purchase a bike (although it would be wise to get one), you will also need a residency certificate. I think you may need a visa but am unsure about that.

Yep, as I said, got to have a visa but a Tourist Visa is OK.

Archived