IGNORED

Buying a new motorbike

gogo dog

Yep, as I said, got to have a visa but a Tourist Visa is OK.

I'm out in the ocean off Indonesia. I will probably go to Jakarta airport then fly to Thailand in a little under 2 weeks. Can I get a visa at Jakarta airport?

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm out in the ocean off Indonesia. I will probably go to Jakarta airport then fly to Thailand in a little under 2 weeks. Can I get a visa at Jakarta airport?

No, not in the airport, unless it's possible for an agent to do that - dunno.

You could get one if you went into Jakarta, from the Thai Embassy or through an agent - your Passport has to go in to be stamped.

Not related I know, but does a honda click have a low fuel warning light? From empty on the guage it takes 2L but I think I read in the book the fuel capacity is 3.6L?

Well my GF read it because its in thai of course :)

I think you're right. HERE

Honda Click

Honda Click-i Tune UpFront disc brake, spoked wheels, 110cc, PGM-FI (fuel injection)

Price 44,000 Baht

Honda Click-i Tune UpFront disc brake, alloy wheels, 110cc, PGM-FI (fuel injection)

Price 46,000 Baht

Honda Click-i Tune Up B.O projectFront disc brake, spoked wheels, 110cc, PGM-FI (fuel injection)

Price 46,000 Baht

Honda Click-i ForwardFront (combo) disc brake, alloy wheels, 110cc, PGM-FI (fuel injection)

Price 47,500 Baht

Honda Click-i Forward B.O projectFront (combo) disc brake, alloy wheels, 110cc, PGM-FI (fuel injection)

Price 49,000 Baht

A very handy link back to the Thai motorcycle page(s) - Thanks

Is buying on the never never an option - say 20k down and balance over a year or

not really worth the drama

Ta 001_Thank_You5.gif

Is buying on the never never an option - say 20k down and balance over a year or

Ta 001_Thank_You5.gif

Was that you being subtle - I see the link wasn't working?

I've fixed it now, but the one in your quote won't work of course.

No, I don't think you'll get credit unless you have a Work Permit perhaps - better just buy second hand if you can't afford new.

Might as well do Yamaha while I'm at it LINK

Yamaha Fino

Yamaha Fino FashionFront disk brake, spoked wheels, 115cc,

Price 44,500 Baht

Yamaha Fino SportyFront disk brake, spoked wheels, 115cc,

Price 44,500 Baht

Yamaha Fino DiscoFront disk brake, spoked wheels, 115cc,

Price 44,500 Baht

Yamaha Fino PremiumFront disk brake, alloy wheels, 115cc,

Price 44,500 Baht

Yamaha Fiore

Yamaha Fiore

Yamaha Mio

Yamaha Mio ZFront disk brake, spoked wheels, 115cc

Price 41,500 Baht

Yamaha Mio ZRFront disk brake, spoked wheels, 115cc

Price 41,500 Baht

Yamaha Mio MXFront disk brake, spoked wheels, 115cc

Price 43,500 Baht

Yamaha Mio GT 125125cc

Price 44,000 Baht

Yamaha Mio RR 125125cc

Price 44,000 Baht

Yamaha Mio MX 125125cc

Price 46,000 Baht

Yamaha Nouvo

Yamaha Nouvo MX 2009Front disk brake, spoked wheels, 115cc,

Price 49,000 Baht

Yamaha Nouvo EleganceFront disk brake, spoked wheels, 135cc,

Price 55,000 Baht

Yamaha Spark

Yamaha Spark RXFront disk brake, spoked wheels, 135cc,

Price 47,000 Baht

Yamaha Spark RX 135iFront disk brake, alloy wheels, 135cc,

Price 52,500 Baht

Yamaha X-1R

Yamaha X-1RFront disk brake, spoked wheels, 135cc,

Price 46,000 Baht

Yamaha X-1RFront disk brake, alloy wheels, 135cc,

Price 48,000 Bah

Was that you being subtle - I see the link wasn't working?

Not at all - clicked on one of the Honda links and it worked perfectly

Thanks

I can recommend the Honda Wave I bought mine 2 years ago i Think I paid around 34K and i hadno problems - very nipping and easily handles two even three people. I have just sold it for 20K and lookimg to upgrade to the new honda CBR 250.

• 2 weeks later...

As a scoot I am also happy with my Yamaha X1r 135cc (conventional clutch and gears) but they don't import it into Thailand any more AFAIK (Thais like one hand free).

If I had to buy a new scoot today I'm sure it would be the Yamaha Spark 135cc CDi.

For some reason it hasn't been mentioned in the comparisons, but it is very popular here and the price is low (about 47k?) relative to some of the full autos mentioned.

The Spark is semi-auto i.e. kick down.

Can you get a Spark with conventional clutch and gears? Does a semi auto have a foot rear brake or is it a hand lever? Cheers

Can you get a Spark with conventional clutch and gears? Does a semi auto have a foot rear brake or is it a hand lever? Cheers

The Sparks are all semi auto with no clutch lever. Only the X1r has conventional clutch and gearbox. They are basically the same bike otherwise, though the X1r has other sportier bits, including fold back footpegs and rear disc brake.

Semi autos (well the Spark anyway) have conventional rear foot brake, but drum not disc.

It's usually only full autos that have front and rear hand lever brakes.

I prefer the X1r, but with future re-sale in mind, the Spark is much more popular and saleable, plus it has CDi.

For future re-sale I would limit myself to either Honda or Yamaha scoots here.

I had not ridden a bike in years and hired a scooter last time there. Full auto, my feet were looking for pegs, trying to change gears and brake. Grabbed the rear brake lever a couple of times thinking it was a clutch to change gears. Got used to it after a couple of days though.

I had not ridden a bike in years and hired a scooter last time there. Full auto, my feet were looking for pegs, trying to change gears and brake. Grabbed the rear brake lever a couple of times thinking it was a clutch to change gears. Got used to it after a couple of days though.

For many people, especially novices obviously, the 'twist & go' scoots are ideal in Pattaya's traffic.

As a bike riding experience they are a non event and I didn't want to lose the habit as I planned a bigger bike anyway at some point. Getting away from the lights on an auto can work well, but you have no engine breaking or choice about what gear you're in when the going gets slippery with sand or water. With conventional or semi-auto (kick down) like the Spark you have those.

All the Japanese auto's are very well made, but if you're going to have an expensive problem it's likely to be the gearbox/drive and that makes them a risky second hand buy. Also, make sure your choice of auto' has a decent kick start. Electrical problems or flat battery can be a pain and you can't bump start an auto'.

I first heard that from a Thai guy who ran a scoot hire business on Second Road. He bought second hand but never auto's or without a kick start. All his autos he bought new and sold off after one year (warranty?) before the expensive problems came.

Resale price will be dictated by popularity/demand. Look around at what the majority of people, including motor taxi guys, are riding. If you fancy something 'a bit different' then accept that you might take a bigger hit later. Even then, the prices are such that buying beats renting hands down.....if you're here long term.

The Honda PCX has proved popular with big farang, but that's your market when you come to sell. The m/bike taxi guys won't touch them or generally any auto. They prefer something like the ubiquitous Waves etc, but the Spark is a good compromise and they see them as a step up - look around.

The choice is yours. :GoldenSmile1:

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a Hayate today. Paid 53,200 with cast wheels and 2 years insurance. Got 2 helmets, 2 t-shirts and a jacket.

Got residency certificates with only visa exemption stamp as well. I read in another thread that they are meant to be free but they ask for 200 baht per certificate. So I filled out the forms and had my passport photocopies ready. When my number came up to go to desk 7 I also had my baht ontop of my paperwork. Told No problem come back in morning to pickup certificates. Easy.

Oh yeah, will post a review of the bike and reasons I went for this one in a few days.

Ta :001_Thank_You5:

I did it once because i got 0% over 6 months but it's not really worth the effort IMO. Be careful if you go for a 2 year finance deal as the interest is VERY high like 2% a month. I though the sales rep had got it wrong and it should be 2% a year but no it's per month. I guess most thais buy on HP but end up paying 50% more for the bike.

• 1 month later...

Bought a Spark RXi a week ago. Bike is quick, gets up to 80km/hr in 2nd. It looks shit hot. Under seat storage can hold about 3 packets of smokes and no hooks for bags. More fun to ride than my Hayate but a little bit impractical.

Bought a Spark RXi a week ago. Bike is quick, gets up to 80km/hr in 2nd. It looks shit hot. Under seat storage can hold about 3 packets of smokes and no hooks for bags. More fun to ride than my Hayate but a little bit impractical.

IMO one of the best bikes out there, but although it doesn't add to the look much, a small size removable Givi topbox is almost essential.

If you want something a little bigger I can recommend the Honda 'Phantom'. I bought one new a couple of years ago and can highly recommend it. Cost about 100k with extras, sort of looks like a poor mans 'baby harley'! Very comfortable even with 2up for longer trips. It has a 200cc engine.

Bought mine from Mityon on Thepprassit Road, between Jomtien and Tesco Lotus.

I recently started a whiskey diet......I've lost three days already!

i would not buy any of the above heaps of crap. Get yourself a second hand honda phantom. Much more comfortable

and actually has a reasonable driving position compared with the other ones which in my opinion are death traps!

I've driven bikes in thailand for 10+ years

Always remember that when a Thai woman calls you darling she is speaking Thai not English!

i would not buy any of the above heaps of crap. Get yourself a second hand honda phantom. Much more comfortable

and actually has a reasonable driving position compared with the other ones which in my opinion are death traps!

I've driven bikes in thailand for 10+ years

Dismissing all the bikes which probably about 90% of Thailand (and Asia generally?) chooses to buy and ride as "heaps of crap" sounds pretty stupid to me.

The Phantom suited some riders with aspirations of riding a pseudo chopper but they really have no street cred' at all. Do you have those fringed leather panniers and tool roll on yours LOl.

On the face of it they are a bigger bike, with the accompanying parking disadvantages, but performance is pretty poor.

Finally, as you've said , get a second hand one, because

The Honda Phantom TA200 is a single cylinder Thai-made "chopper" motorcycle. It was known in Australia as the TA Shadow. Production of the TA200 was stopped in Thailand on 3 March 2010.

Maybe they weren't very popular?

This thread, as the title says, is about buying a new motor bike.

People who are looking to buy a new motor bike usually have reasons for that which preclude second hand ones - crap or not.

For a start, you can't get First Class Insurance on bikes over 2 yo AFAIK. :hello09:

Dismissing all the bikes which probably about 90% of Thailand (and Asia generally?) chooses to buy and ride as "heaps of crap" sounds pretty stupid to me.

The Phantom suited some riders with aspirations of riding a pseudo chopper but they really have no street cred' at all. Do you have those fringed leather panniers and tool roll on yours LOl.

On the face of it they are a bigger bike, with the accompanying parking disadvantages, but performance is pretty poor.

Finally, as you've said , get a second hand one, because

The Honda Phantom TA200 is a single cylinder Thai-made "chopper" motorcycle. It was known in Australia as the TA Shadow. Production of the TA200 was stopped in Thailand on 3 March 2010.

Maybe they weren't very popular?

This thread, as the title says, is about buying a new motor bike.

People who are looking to buy a new motor bike usually have reasons for that which preclude second hand ones - crap or not.

For a start, you can't get First Class Insurance on bikes over 2 yo AFAIK. :hello09:

feck me - the TA Shadow - didn't know they still made that anywhere in the world oh that's right they don't :GoldenSmile1:

did a quick search of bikesales.com.au and found four http://www.bikesales.com.au/all-bikes/results.aspx?

Ns=p_IsPoa_Int32%7C0%7C%7Cp_RankSort_Int32%7C1%7C%7Cp_HasPhotos_Int32%7C1%7C%7Cp_Make_String%7C0%7C%7Cp

04 seems to be last one available - could be wrong on that - was once b4 in my life :LMAO1:

would be interesting if that put everyone in pattaya was on that type of bike - would probably cut numbers in half after day one

anywho haven't ridden seriously for five years and I'm way :Offtopic2:

feck me - the TA Shadow - didn't know they still made that anywhere in the world oh that's right they don't :GoldenSmile1:

04 seems to be last one available - could be wrong on that ........................

04? Couldn't make your link work.

There may still be a few NOS models gathering dust out there if anyone fancies an obsolete relic - sorry, piece of history?

04? Couldn't make your link work.

There may still be a few NOS models gathering dust out there if anyone fancies an obsolete relic - sorry, piece of history?

if u go to http://www.bikesales.com.au

do a search on Honda - then drop down list to TA shadow -- should get 4 hits

• 1 month later...

I bought a Hayate today. Paid 53,200 with cast wheels and 2 years insurance. Got 2 helmets, 2 t-shirts and a jacket.

Got residency certificates with only visa exemption stamp as well. I read in another thread that they are meant to be free but they ask for 200 baht per certificate. So I filled out the forms and had my passport photocopies ready. When my number came up to go to desk 7 I also had my baht ontop of my paperwork. Told No problem come back in morning to pickup certificates. Easy.

would like to read your review of this bike in this thread mate and why you decided to buy it compared to the other choices available??

"There's plenty more prostitutes in Pattaya" ©2012™

"Only Newbies go home when planned" ©2012

"I don't run a gogo, i run a dance academy" Â©2014

"Sauna and milkshakes a winning combination" Â©2015

Facebook Group ::: Pattaya Bar Crawls and Parties

Archived