IGNORED

Buying a new motorbike

gogo dog

Hi

Ooops sorry just seen the original post there mate!!!

Thanks for info and looks like new FI models out for Honda Click now so when is the new FI Airbalde out then????

Cheers 4 the info ta

You cannot escape the spell or the lure of the Thai darkside Kyrano!!! Posted Image

A quote by Oscar Wilde " A cynic recognises the cost of everything, and the value of nothing"

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hmmm cant see the update info mate????

New Airblade out yet???

Would be nice to know and servicing and warranty too.

Cheers

The fuel injected Air Blade is in the showrooms now.

I have added servicing & warranty info for Suzuki to the OP . As far as I know it is 3 years / 30,000Km for Honda but I'm not sure.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm looking to upgrade from the Click to something else. One of the new 135cc/LC Yamaha's was parked beside me yesterday and I noticed it has large ridge where you put your feet. The older Scooters have a large flat area here that allows you to put large items like cases of water, etc. Other than that it looked very nice.

Had a Suzuki last year and must agree the acceleration is superior to the Honda.

I actually sat down on one of the Skydrives the other day, while waiting for them to tune up the brake lights on the cargo box. I will say, that for only having one shock, the bike was surprisingly sturdy. It almost felt like sitting on my Hayate, just a slightly more comfortable seat. The gauge panel and look of the bikes are pretty damn slick lol. Unfortunately the one I seen was solid white, so not the greatest color choice IMO.

I did notice something while comparing the Suzuki Hayates, Honda Airblades, Yamaha Nouvo Elegance, and the Skydrives, as well as the new Hinda Clicks.

Only 3 of the bikes had speedo's that read up to 160kmph, the Hayate, Nouvo Elegance, and the Skydrives. All the other bikes only topped off the speedo at 140kmph. So I imagine that the 2 Suzukis, and the Elegance are probably the 3 fastest cruising bikes for long drives, with the Hayate more aimed at performance, and the SkyDrive and Elegance aimed at comfort, making for much better bikes for casual riding.

I'm looking to upgrade from the Click to something else. One of the new 135cc/LC Yamaha's was parked beside me yesterday and I noticed it has large ridge where you put your feet. The older scooters have a large flat area here that allows you to put large items like cases of water, etc. Other than that it looked very nice.

Had a Suzuki last year and must agree the acceleration is superior to the Honda.

If you want a flat foot area I would suggest the Skydrive. I suspect Yamaha and Suzuki will bring out fuel injected versions of the Nouvo and Hayate before too much longer, if you are not in a hurry to replace you bike I would wait for one of these.

Speede75 claims to have purchased a Hayate for B41,000 see HERE

the best overall bikes in Thailand are Honda Wave series, for the extrem motor solidity and the fuel economy.

look the taxis motorbikes and thai families, they have all a Honda wave, because it's the best bike you can have, it's an institution in Thailand.

since all my trips, i tried many bikes because i like to change the models, for an automatic bike, the best for me it's an Air Blade, not the fastest for sure, but for the comfort and the security, no doubt for me Air Blade win.

I don't care to have a fast bike or not, all the bikes in Thailand are fast and maybe the Air Blade can't go over 100 Km/h but it's so far enough for me, i don't want to go in a hospital bed...

when i will be an expat, i will buy a Honda Wave R series with an electric starter, easy to sell, easy to upgrade, fast, a very long life, not so expensive and the honda quality.

• 1 month later...

hi all, all good info on here......i have decided to purchase the new Yamaha 135cc in Feb 09. what is best, spoke wheels or cast. i would of thought that the spoke wheels are stronger...any thoughts??????

hi all, all good info on here......i have decided to purchase the new Yamaha 135cc in Feb 09. what is best, spoke wheels or cast. i would of thought that the spoke wheels are stronger...any thoughts??????

Hi Fileep, the cast wheels usually add about B3,000-B3,500 to the cost of the bike. The spoked wheels will rust quite quickly if not kept clean and will require more maintenance to keep them true but will be cheaper to fix if they become buckled or damaged. As for strength, I really don't know.

hey gogo dog,

i just googled 'what is stronger'....spoked or cast....the winner is spoked by far......it sort of makes sence really, you dont see any off road bikes with cast wheels, and with the way pattaya pot holes seem to jump out at you, i think i will be getting spoked wheels with the 135...and saving some valuable beer coupons as well........everyones a winner!!!!!

Not sure about the others but with the Honda Air Blade & Click with the Alloy/Cast wheels you also get a better braking system what they call a Combi brake the left brake lever operates both brakes 60/40 the right operates the front brake only they claim better braking performace allowing you to stop quicker there is also a parking brake. Thats why I chose the Alloy wheels for the better brakes couldn't care less what they looked like.

Al.

Not sure about the others but with the Honda Air Blade & Click with the Alloy/Cast wheels you also get a better braking system what they call a Combi brake the left brake lever operates both brakes 60/40 the right operates the front brake only they claim better braking performace allowing you to stop quicker there is also a parking brake. Thats why I chose the Alloy wheels for the better brakes couldn't care less what they looked like.

Al.

In most situations and especially for inexperienced bikers the combi brake is a big plus. The new fuel injected Click is available with spoked wheels for around B46,000.

• 1 month later...

I'd go for the new Honda AirBlade, less petrol consumption and much more resistant, hence, Honda it's been known for it's resistance against humidity, have had a Nouvo, was always a pain in the ass to start it after a rainy night

Gogo Dawg et Moto Crew...

good post, lotsa good info.....

1 April 2009

Yeah, I did the Rental Math as well and if you are sticking around Pattaya, it PAYS to purchase your own bike.

I read your post up on various bikes after I bought my NEW Honda Wave i 125cc from Mityon.

Not smart to learn how to ride a motorbike in Thailand.

Better to learn in your home country. Learn here and you can die all too easily.

Thailand is great to ride if you have experience under your belt. And a few get-offs.

Yes, you are correct, 48k baht.

The "i" stands for fuel injection.

I paid extra for oversized nitrogen-filled rear shocks, 1500b. Got a freebie front grocery basket and U-shaped guard.

And 2400b for theft insurance for 2 years.

You get red tag for two months. Then you get your white tag and green book.

No getting around this two month hiatus. Official Thai stuff. If you get pulled over...you show the cop your

sales receipt!

CAUTION: tell all TGs you are renting bike!

If they find out you own a new scooter, they will up their rates.

ALL TGs figure that if they boomed you, you owe them every baht!

Figure this out and welcome to Thailand!

If one is a newbie to Pattaya and uncertain of whether to rent or buy...rent a scooter with auto trans.

You'll have your hands and eyeballs filled with getting about town, avoiding accidents from all the distractions.

And figuring out everything.

Just wait until you are rubber-necking at some stunner running across in front of you and you'll know what I mean.

I rented Yamaha Nuovos, Suzook Hayates, Honda Airblades and they were all good and fine bikes--except ANY bike with auto trans will SUCK gas.

It isn't the cost of gas, rather the frequent stops and fill ups. The limited range.

A drag.

One is ALWAYS filling up their auto trans bike with gas. Another pain in the butt to be avoided.

I then crossed off automatics off my list.

If you weigh over 100kgs, NO WAY are you going to get anywhere on a Yamaha Mio or Honda Click.

Those are chick bikes, with one single rear shock. No way.

This left me with a semi-atuomatic. Of course, I wanted a NEW Kawasaki D-Tracker.

A fine 250cc machine with plenty of range and power, 150k baht. Ouch.

About $4200 USD.

But the D-Tracker is a bit big for traffic during rush hour in Pattaya.

Ideally, one needs THREE bikes in Pattaya:

1) Pedal Bicycle

2) Scooter, 125cc or so.....

3) Long Range Bike: CBR 150 or Kawasaki D-Tracker 250cc, etc.

Give a skip to any Harley. That is akin to riding a sofa.

But the Kawasaki D-Tracker has lousy PHF: Pussy Height Factor.

That is, pussy likes to LEAN onto a seat, no matter what outfit.

And the Kawasaki would give everyone a pussy show of their beaver.....ie...the SEAT is too high!

I know...the gals are all boomsing all...so who cares about the seat height?

TGs do...that's who!

The D Tracker is a fine ride, but the TGs will find the seat height a stretch.

So...I sprung for a NEW Honda Wave i 125cc. Fine bike.

I did my homework on USED 125cc and they were all wrecks.

I found a few bikes shops with used 125cc with a Thai engine remodel...3 baht of fresh black spray paint all over the engine case....and under 5k kilometers.

A joke.

These Honda Wave hold their value and anything worth purchasing was pang mak mah...so I bought new.

Yes...am happy with my Wave....tons of torque......great acceleration.

There's a reason why this bike is the Number#1 choice of Thai taxi drivers.

Very good semi-automatic trans, a breeze to operate.

Supposedly 71km per kilometer. With a four liter tank, this would come out to 280 km poer tankful!

Not there yet.....keep ya posted.

'Mint

ALL girls like it in the Ass. Not all know it....yet!

Yes, you are correct, 48k baht.

The "i" stands for fuel injection.

I paid extra for oversized nitrogen-filled rear shocks, 1500b. Got a freebie front grocery basket and U-shaped guard.

And 2400b for theft insurance for 2 years.

You got a good deal on that BM.

I remember the same bike in Sattahip was 50,600 and that was during a promotion.

my tg in pattaya wants to buy a new motorbike, the Yamaha Fino. Anyone know of a good dealership she should check out? How much below retail can you get a deal for?

my tg in pattaya wants to buy a new motorbike, the Yamaha Fino. Anyone know of a good dealership she should check out? How much below retail can you get a deal for?

I'm not sure of the price of the fino, I think they are around B43,000. The best deals are to be had well out of town, I was quoted B2,100 less for a CZ-I in Bang Chang.

I'm not sure of the price of the fino, I think they are around B43,000. The best deals are to be had well out of town, I was quoted B2,100 less for a CZ-I in Bang Chang.

I was at the motorshow last week in bkk, they were going for 36k, so there are deals to be had.

Well Gogo-Dog have u gone for ur bike yet????

Seems youve done & researched very well over the last yr about bikes so was wondering what youve gone for or what you lookin at gettin now???

I rented a Honda Airblade when was there in Feb and like some earlier posters mentioned its bit thirsty on the gas!!!!

But theyve got new Fuel injected Airblade out now so shud be more efficient now but more exp then Suzikis .

Friend of mine had Suziki Hayate 125 auto and looked and performed far better then my Airblade too as bigger 125cc engine .

They seem favorite now with Airblade if i was buying one it would be between these 2 with fule being more of an issue now.

Cheers

You cannot escape the spell or the lure of the Thai darkside Kyrano!!! Posted Image

A quote by Oscar Wilde " A cynic recognises the cost of everything, and the value of nothing"

Hi Sticky, I ended up buying a Step so my GF could ride it, the larger bikes are too big for her. At B37,000 it was much cheaper than a Mio or Click. It's a good little bike and goes well, I've already done 5,500Km. The only problem is I'm rather on the heavy side and with another fat farang on the back the rear suspension is nearly on the stops.

I thought it would be useful for anyone else on the board contemplating buying a bike to keep this thread up to date. The new Skydrive is fuel injected and I suspect Suzuki may put that motor in the Hayate soon, that will be the auto bike to get.

I would like to get a bigger cruiser type bike to do a bit of touring on. I like the Dragstar 1100 but they are a bit pricey.

I would like to get a bigger cruiser type bike to do a bit of touring on. I like the Dragstar 1100 but they are a bit pricey.

gogo dog, have you considered a Phantom? I think they are about 86k new but i saw a 3 year old one in Ban Chang a few days ago for 48k. They are only 200cc though and might be a bit under powered if you are looking at 1100's.

Newbie and farang-bound motor heads:

You will not believe the used bike market in Thailand: junk or brand new.

That is a grave generalization and sadly, mostly true. I thought--erroneously---that one could find

exactly what one wants, if one was willing to dig enough. Not so.

To get exactly what one wants, you've gotta buy new. Else you are buying someone else's problems.

You could also be buying a stolen bike! Welcome to Prathet Thai, where anything goes.

Auto Trans bikes: yes, I agree, the Suzuki Hayate 125 was my fave bike amongst the auto trans bikes I rented.

Lotsa power, blew all away starting off from the light.

My Honda Wave i 125cc purrs right along, like a cat. Lotsa power, much fun.

I have four Thai chicks on it the other night and did not bottom out the springs.

Life is good.

Noodles...word has it around the campfire that

you are the proud owner of a used Honda Wave 100...if true, you like it so far?

• 3 weeks later...

....another point in the good-used vs new motorbike dept:

REGO or registration.

When you go through a dealer and buy NEW, the hassles are greatly reduced.

You pay about 1200 baht and this INCLUDES one year of basic accident insurance(1k baht) (req'd) plus the red/white plate shuffle(200b).

The dealer gives you a Pattaya RED plate to roll out the door and hab fun with your new bike.

Yes, you NEED a proof of RESIDENCY letter from Soi 5 Immigration to process all.

You get a typed out letter from whatever hotel you are staying at.

Make multiple copies.

Have plenty of passport pics on hand.

Take all and passport (with Thai visa, do'h) to Soi 5 in Jomtien.

You pay 200b and leave paperwork. Return 24 hours later and you pick up this residency letter with

all the appropriate stamps and signatures. Thais love paperwork. Just get into it.

Be polite. Mai pen rai. It's their Kingdom, not yours.

Sounds difficult, is not. Quite easy.

You take this letter to wherever you bought your motorbike!

In my case, Mityon Motors on Pattaya Tai.

Note your day and DATE that you brought all documentation in to their shop.

Why?

Two months from this date, you return and trade in your red plate for a WHITE permanent plate.

No charge at the 2 month mark.

You also receive your venerated green book at this time, showing ownership. You will need this green book if you

plan on scooting over to Cambodia and Vietnam.

BEAR in MIND...no motorbike over 200cc is allowed in Vietnam.

Check out their own visa regs.

If you purchase your motorbike from a private party, you are in for a possible cluster fuck.

Is the bike stolen? Did they sign the paperwork with blue ink (preferred) or blakc ink (looks like photocopy).

Are you changing jurisdictions?

If so, bend over.

Is the selling party the SAME as the name on the title?

If not, then Thai IDs have to be certified.

Even more headache.

Unless you actually know the selling party quite well, imho, buy new.

Mint

Archived