IGNORED

Buying a new motorbike

gogo dog

I've decided its time for me to buy a new bike. I spent B30,000 last year renting, that could have gone a long way to paying for a new one. Most of these prices are from Mityon who have branches all over Pattaya. I overheard the salesman say "Ha murn, saam paan" when a Thai girl asked the price of the Nouvo Elegance (he had earlier quoted me B53,000) so I don't think Mityon are dual pricing.

Honda Dream 125, utilitarian and solid, good value, will probably still be running when all the other bikes have died.

Honda Wave, economical, reliable and well made semi auto, the Thais love them, you can't really go wrong. Should be easy to sell.

Honda Wave X 100/125 the cheaper base model, nice looking exhaust.

Honda Wave S 100/125 the standard model.

Honda Wave I 125 fuel injected, Honda claim 6% less fuel consumption.

Honda NEW Wave 110 PGM-FI, came out around February 09 with fuel injection. Kick start model is great value for money.

Honda Click, as easy to ride as it gets, nippy off the mark, accelerates well up to about 50 kmh. Now an old model so there could be good deals out there.

Honda NEW Click, came out about September 08 with fuel injection & restyled bodywork.

Honda CZ-i a budget version of the Wave, fuel injected, the most economical bike here. Honda claim 57Km/Litre, very good value for money.

Suzuki Step, good value for money, accelerates very well.

Suzuki Hayate, similar to the Nouvo but pulls much more strongly, big comfy seat, has a high C of G, so feels a bit top heavy 2 up going slowly. Good value.

Yamaha Nouvo MX, the original auto. Sluggish off the line but pulls well when the Click has run low on puff. A bit pricey.

Nouvo Elegance, 135cc Liquid cooled, avant garde styling. The largest frame, good for taller/heavier riders. I've not ridden one but would guess they go well.

Suzuki Skydrive, this appears to be the replacement for the Step, Fuel injected it should go very well.

Honda Wave 100 B36,000

Honda Dream 125 B39,500 elec start

Honda Wave X 125 B40,500 kick start

Honda Wave X 125 B43,000 elec start

Honda Wave S 125 B45,000 elec start

Honda Wave I 125 B45,000 kick start

Honda Wave I 125 B48,000 elec start

Honda NEW Wave PGM-FI 110 B34,000 kick start

Honda NEW Wave PGM-FI 110 B38,000 elec start

Honda CZ-i B37,000

Honda Click B46,000 cast wheels (now an old model, may be some good deals available)

Honda NEW Click FI B44,000 spoked wheels

Honda NEW Click FI B46,000 Combi brake

Honda NEW Click FI B48,000 Combi brake, cast wheels

Honda Air Blade B52,000 (now an old model, may be some good deals available)

Honda NEW Air Blade FI B55,500 Combi brake, cast wheels

Suzuki Step 125 B37,000 (now an old model, may be some good deals available)

Suzuki Hayate 125 B46,000 spoked wheels

Suzuki Hayate 125 B49,000 cast wheels

Suzuki Skydrive 125 B45,000 spoked wheels

Yamaha Mio B39,500

Yamaha Nouvo MX B48,000

Yamaha Nouvo Elegance B51,000 spoked wheels

Yamaha Nouvo Elegance B54,000 cast wheels

Pricing on some of the older models could be out of date.

The Suzukis have a 3 year / 30,000 Km warranty. The service interval is 4,000Km with drive belt replacement at 30,000Km

Registration, plates, insurance, transfer etc B1,000 at Mityon.

You can buy insurance against theft from Mityon for B2,000 for 1 year or B2,400 for 2 years.

I would be particularly interested to know if the prices nearby (Chonburi, Sri Ratcha, Satahip etc) are any cheaper.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I personally bought a Suzuli Step (37,000baht cash) 2yrs ago,

been brilliant, never let me down yet, I am a big lad and having

the 125cc engine makes all the difference, tried many bikes b4

I bought.

I'm thinking of buying a bike, but as I'm only going to be staying a few months. Anybody think it would be wise to buy a bike and then sell it before I leave? I'm looking to cut costs here.

I'm thinking of buying a bike, but as I'm only going to be staying a few months. Anybody think it would be wise to buy a bike and then sell it before I leave? I'm looking to cut costs here.

Depends how long you are staying. You can rent from about B2,500 a month. If you decide to buy, your best bet is a probably Honda Wave. The Thai's love them, it should hold its value well and be easy to sell. If you are staying a bit longer you could always consider a Platinum. B20,000 but don't expect much when you come to sell it.

Thanks Bryan. Do you have any prices? I'm leaning towards a Wave 125S or Suzuki Hayate but could easily be swayed by some good prices. I'll try and get myself down to Sattahip.

Look at the new Yamaha neuvo's. 135 cc engine, fully auto. About 50k new. Personally i have a cbr150. A bit more power and big enough to handle these roads with out getting your fillings rattled out but still small enough to get around town and park. Big difference when on Suk rd going out to Bansarae

Well thanks chaps for the great info here on bikes and pricing as will be having to buy a bike wen there more permanantly.

I have property there with Thai registerd company and have blue book so is that all i need to buy a bike???

I kind of liked the Honda Airblade and Yamaha Nouvo and Nouvo Elegance as the extra power wud come in handy on Sukh rd, plus those bikes have decent storage and performances too but i suppose fuel consumption is a big factor now with the crazy oil prices.

Anybody has any reports/reccom on the above bikes???

Cheers

You cannot escape the spell or the lure of the Thai darkside Kyrano!!! Posted Image

A quote by Oscar Wilde " A cynic recognises the cost of everything, and the value of nothing"

Guest azcowboy

I’m curious if anyone can answer my question. I’m in Thailand on tourist visa(run). If I buy a bike and have it registered to my friend’s name (he’s on retirement visa), what documents do I need to carry? Is that possible to add my name to the insurance card as a second driver?

I don’t have thai DL but I do have an international DL.

Best bike ever! 135cc makes a lot of difference. Brand new cost 58k bath, I’m looking for a used one but can’t find it anywhere yet.

az, have you had a ride on one? I would appreciate a review if you have. I don't think you will find many secondhand as they have only been out for about 4 months.

Well thanks chaps for the great info here on bikes and pricing as will be having to buy a bike wen there more permanantly.

I have property there with Thai registerd company and have blue book so is that all i need to buy a bike???

I kind of liked the Honda Airblade and Yamaha Nouvo and Nouvo Elegance as the extra power wud come in handy on Sukh rd, plus those bikes have decent storage and performances too but i suppose fuel consumption is a big factor now with the crazy oil prices.

Anybody has any reports/reccom on the above bikes???

Cheers

Hey sticky, some brief reviews in my post above and some posts I made in your thread here http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/-t177...st&p=254182

I don't know how well the Elegance goes but it should quick for a scooter, the salesman at Mityon told me they use a lot of fuel. I wold not get an Airblade, if you want something that goes well look at the Suzuki Hayate.

Guest azcowboy
az, have you had a ride on one? I would appreciate a review if you have.

Yes, I’ve rented a brand new Yamaha Neuvo's in last May for 7k bath/m. Actually, I have rented it out for one-day-test-drive purpose (300 bath) but the bike was so good that decided to keep it for a full month even though the price was too high for my budget.

To start with, the bike has an outstanding motor. There is not many bikes with 135cc and injector on Thailand’s market, and this motor is really, really good. Along the way, the engine feels very smooth and refined. Compared to the Honda Wave, the Nuevo's engine feels like last-generation technology. There is no vibration in the bars even on high RPM and long-distance cruising feels like you are riding a 4 cylinder motorcycle.

You cab snap a Nuevo into corners as you on a true motorcycle. None of the taxi riders can cut or pass you, the Nuevo so far is the faster’s bike on a street, and the automatic transmission switching the gears without any delay.

It’s feels like much bigger bike, even though it has the same wheels size, the new Nuevo IS bigger then others motorbikes.

The bike provides ultimate riding performance, it’s goes smooth and quiet and after the Nuevo I have a bad time riding another bike.

There is only one thing holding me to withdraw 58k bath from my bank account and run to the near Yamaha dealer: I don’t feel secure when I leave the bike on a parking lot even with an external locker...

Yes, I’ve rented a brand new Yamaha Neuvo's in last May for 7k bath/m. Actually, I have rented it out for one-day-test-drive purpose (300 bath) but the bike was so good that decided to keep it for a full month even though the price was too high for my budget.

To start with, the bike has an outstanding motor. There is not many bikes with 135cc and injector on Thailand’s market, and this motor is really, really good. Along the way, the engine feels very smooth and refined. Compared to the Honda Wave, the Nuevo's engine feels like last-generation technology. There is no vibration in the bars even on high RPM and long-distance cruising feels like you are riding a 4 cylinder motorcycle.

You cab snap a Nuevo into corners as you on a true motorcycle. None of the taxi riders can cut or pass you, the Nuevo so far is the faster’s bike on a street, and the automatic transmission switching the gears without any delay.

It’s feels like much bigger bike, even though it has the same wheels size, the new Nuevo IS bigger then others motorbikes.

The bike provides ultimate riding performance, it’s goes smooth and quiet and after the Nuevo I have a bad time riding another bike.

There is only one thing holding me to withdraw 58k bath from my bank account and run to the near Yamaha dealer: I don’t feel secure when I leave the bike on a parking lot even with an external locker...

Thanks azcowboy, where did you hire the Nouvo Elegance from? I will have to try one for a day or two. Did it use a lot of petrol?

I got a price of B53,000 + B1,000 registration from the dealer on the corner of soi Buakao and Pattaya Tai.

Guest azcowboy
where did you hire the Nouvo Elegance from? I will have to try one for a day or two. Did it use a lot of petrol?
Soi 13 and Beach Rd, near Walking Street. The gas mileage is pretty good. I’m not sure but close to 110MPG

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a 6 mo. old slightly used, repo Yamaha Mio, 125cc, for 33,000 baht total out the door price, incliding tax, insurance, registration fees, and 2 nice helmets, from "Bobby" at Platinum Motors on 2nd Rd. in Pattaya. The new retail price on this bike is over 55,000 baht, and it's a very reliable machine. Bobby told me he gets several repo's like this every day which he sells at a considerable discount to new. I've had mine about 6 months now and it runs great!

• 1 month later...
I bought a 6 mo. old slightly used, repo Yamaha Mio, 125cc, for 33,000 baht total out the door price, incliding tax, insurance, registration fees, and 2 nice helmets, from "Bobby" at Platinum Motors on 2nd Rd. in Pattaya. The new retail price on this bike is over 55,000 baht, and it's a very reliable machine. Bobby told me he gets several repo's like this every day which he sells at a considerable discount to new. I've had mine about 6 months now and it runs great!

You can buy a brand new Mio for around B40,000. They are not 55k.

Well interesting reading here.

Rented a Honda Airblade for a month in july and was impressed with performance and handling seemed fairly smooth.

By the way anyone can reccomend any other motorbike hire places that rent any of the 3 below at good prices??

Looks like a 3 horse power race then between;

1. Honda Airblade

2. Yamaha Nouvo

3. Yamaha Nouvo Elegance

Wonder which has best fuel economy and performance???

Cheers

You cannot escape the spell or the lure of the Thai darkside Kyrano!!! Posted Image

A quote by Oscar Wilde " A cynic recognises the cost of everything, and the value of nothing"

Well interesting reading here.

Rented a Honda Airblade for a month in july and was impressed with performance and handling seemed fairly smooth.

By the way anyone can reccomend any other motorbike hire places that rent any of the 3 below at good prices??

Looks like a 3 horse power race then between;

1. Honda Airblade

2. Yamaha Nouvo

3. Yamaha Nouvo Elegance

Wonder which has best fuel economy and performance???

Cheers

Hi Sticky

Most rental shops will let you have a newish Nouvo MX or Air Blade for B3,000 per month. I've not ridden an Elegance so I don't know how well they go but they have had favourable reviews elsewhere. Don't forget the Suzuki Hayate, I've ridden two of them, they do go well and are a good price.

If you want economy go for a Honda Wave I. If you want performance go for the Yamaha RX135 (these are both semi-autos)

See here for reviews on the Elegance

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=1859271

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=1876359

I would recommend a Honda Airblade.A litter bigger,more storage and a comfortible seat for 2.

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it

helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but

at the very least you need a beer."

-Frank Zappa

I bought a Yamaha Mio and have been really pleased with it. I do prefer the Honda Airblade but it's a lot more money, if I lived in Thailand permanently I'd have paid the extra.

I’m curious if anyone can answer my question. I’m in Thailand on tourist visa(run). If I buy a bike and have it registered to my friend’s name (he’s on retirement visa), what documents do I need to carry? Is that possible to add my name to the insurance card as a second driver?

I don’t have thai DL but I do have an international DL.

I registered mine in the shop's name - saves a lot of hassle and they prefer it that way. No Thai DL means no insurance according to my broker. I believe the compulsory government insurance scheme is still valid though.

Be scene and not herd.

Check out the new Kawi 250 babyninja. Not a bad bike. I think it goes for about 140k Baht which is a bit steap for a 'round town bike but it is a good option if you are looking for something that will keep up with the traffic on the highway. You can find them at the Kawi big bike shop on Ramma 9 in BKK though I am sure there is a spot in Pattaya to since you are nearer the plant where they make 'em in Rayong.

"Don't trouble trouble, 'till trouble troubles you." ---- Unknown

"Damn if I'da known it was gonna be that kinda party, I'da stuck my dick in the mashed potatoes" --- The Beasty Boys (Ill Communication)

Ok thanx chaps,

Looks like wil try to rent an Airblade or Nouvo Elegance nxt time am in Patts which is Feb.

Like said before was impressd with Airblade and form what hav read review wise theres gonna be an new Airbalde thats more powerful/fuel efficient the fuel injected one.

SO wil rent for now and poss buy when the FI model comes out later.

Thanks again for replies.

Cheers

Does any1 know where can rent this bike from with the "assistant"!!!!

lolhttp://newsfilter.org/video/48344/Sexy_Asian_Lady_Mai_fucks_on_a_4_wheeler_and_a_mountainside_part_1/

That will do nicely for a week hehehe

Cheers

Does any1 know where can rent this bike from with the "assistant"!!!!

http://newsfilter.org/video/48344/Sexy_Asi...ainside_part_1/

That will do nicely for a week hehehe

Cheers

Archived