Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Buying a new motorbike

gogo dog

i have a to year old honda clik 110, do enybody knows if i can get a insurens after its two years old? i asked the insurens company

for my car but he say they can not insure the bike after its two years. crasy if you asked me..

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When you get your road tax from the licence place on Highway 36, there a loads of places just outside the main gate - basic insurance should only cost about 350/400 bht.

• 1 month later...

hi chaps,

just back from few wks in patts last month which went all too quickly.

i rented a suziki hayate (1000bt p/wk usual rate) and found that it was very smooth and quicker than the honda airblade as been mentioned by a few posters here b4.

the hayate is 125cc compared to the 107cc on the airblade and both hav decent storage under seat but the hayate has hook for shopping bags too.

hav friend who bought a brand new hayate for 50k bt inc insurance and 2 helmets this year so bit cheaper aswell and if i was buying a brand new mbike this would take some beating so the suzikis the fav at the mo!!!.

cheers

You cannot escape the spell or the lure of the Thai darkside Kyrano!!! Posted Image

A quote by Oscar Wilde " A cynic recognises the cost of everything, and the value of nothing"

i have a to year old honda clik 110, do enybody knows if i can get a insurens after its two years old? i asked the insurens company

for my car but he say they can not insure the bike after its two years. crasy if you asked me..

All Bikes need insurance..I have bikes more then 35 Yrs old and all have insurance..Any accident with no Insurance and your Screwed...

No place on the Planet like Pattaya..Don't let your meat loaf

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

The new Honda PCX 125.

post-3633-126301984999_thumb.jpg

I bought one a few weeks ago.

To say the least i think its the best machine on the market but it is little pricey!

Positives

-Very smooth ride

-Good acceleration

-Very Very economical, about 250km to one tank

-Huge under sit compartment

-Excellent brakes

-Wider wheels, better ride especially on the freeway.

-Very stable at 100km/hour

Negatives

-Steering wheel very "assisted"

-No hook for carrying bags or to hang helmet

-No cup holder

-Can not be modified to have hook put on

-Little expansive compared to others

All in all, if you have the money, get it-it is a pleasure to ride!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psvL2eYQ7YM&feature=related

There are three sides to every argument: your side, my side and the right side.

Thank God I'm an atheist.

Thanks for the review Alex. How does the PCX compare with the Nuovo Elegance in the areas of performance, handling and stability?

Thanks for the review Alex. How does the PCX compare with the Nuovo Elegance in the areas of performance, handling and stability?

In my opinion PCX is much much better

Performance

-PCX is faster and more responsive

-Can not feel gear changes

-Faster acceleration

-Huge difference in petrol consumption. PCX is much more economical then Nuovo

-PCX smoother ride

-Excellent suspension. Going over the bumps on Nuovo you can really feel it, while on PCX hardly noticeable even when you go over the bumps at high speed

Stability

-Definently more stable then Nuovo, Taking PCX on free way and getting to 100k/h is not a problem and it drives smooth

-PCX has a wider wheel so it sits more solid on the road and not as slippery when wet -unlike Nuovo

-Handling

-As much as i love riding PCX, i will say that in my opinion Nuovo's handling is slightly better, the steering wheel is more stable. For example going between the cars on Nuovo is easy, on PCX at times i find it hard to balance it.

-Having a passenger on PCX is "easier ride" then Nuovo. I found having someone ride with me on Nuovo at times was little challenging to steer, while on PCX is not a problem, even when the passenger is around 100kg

-I have not noticed much change in brakes between the two, but in PCX breaks seem little smother then Nuovo

I also had problems at times starting Nuovo in the mornings, while PCX is not a problem at all

I think also worth mentioning, PCX comes with alarm as standard, not a big deal but if some one was trying to steal it, they will have hard time with it, not to mention the noise.

General appearance, i also prefer PCX as pretty much all of the insides are covered

The only real problem i have with PCX is the fact that it does not have any hooks or cup holders so carrying shopping or bags is impossible. So your shopping is limited to the amount which you can fit under the seat.

Under the sit compartment fits 2 half size helmets and still have room, i say its double the size compared to Nuovo.

Petrol Tank capacity is double to Nuovo, not that big of a deal, but you can go for longer rides without having to worry about gas. Also trips to gas station have decreased to once every 15 days or so and i always fill up when tank is half full.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psvL2eYQ7YM&feature=related

There are three sides to every argument: your side, my side and the right side.

Thank God I'm an atheist.

• 1 year later...

Anyone done any pricing research lately?

I've decided its time for me to buy a new bike. I spent B30,000 last year renting, that could have gone a long way to paying for a new one. Most of these prices are from Mityon who have branches all over Pattaya. I overheard the salesman say "Ha murn, saam paan" when a Thai girl asked the price of the Nouvo Elegance (he had earlier quoted me B53,000) so I don't think Mityon are dual pricing.

Honda Dream 125, utilitarian and solid, good value, will probably still be running when all the other bikes have died.

Honda Wave, economical, reliable and well made semi auto, the Thais love them, you can't really go wrong. Should be easy to sell.

Honda Wave X 100/125 the cheaper base model, nice looking exhaust.

Honda Wave S 100/125 the standard model.

Honda Wave I 125 fuel injected, Honda claim 6% less fuel consumption.

Honda NEW Wave 110 PGM-FI, came out around February 09 with fuel injection. Kick start model is great value for money.

Honda Click, as easy to ride as it gets, nippy off the mark, accelerates well up to about 50 kmh. Now an old model so there could be good deals out there.

Honda NEW Click, came out about September 08 with fuel injection & restyled bodywork.

Honda CZ-i a budget version of the Wave, fuel injected, the most economical bike here. Honda claim 57Km/Litre, very good value for money.

Suzuki Step, good value for money, accelerates very well.

Suzuki Hayate, similar to the Nouvo but pulls much more strongly, big comfy seat, has a high C of G, so feels a bit top heavy 2 up going slowly. Good value.

Yamaha Nouvo MX, the original auto. Sluggish off the line but pulls well when the Click has run low on puff. A bit pricey.

Nouvo Elegance, 135cc Liquid cooled, avant garde styling. The largest frame, good for taller/heavier riders. I've not ridden one but would guess they go well.

Suzuki Skydrive, this appears to be the replacement for the Step, Fuel injected it should go very well.

Honda Wave 100 B36,000

Honda Dream 125 B39,500 elec start

Honda Wave X 125 B40,500 kick start

Honda Wave X 125 B43,000 elec start

Honda Wave S 125 B45,000 elec start

Honda Wave I 125 B45,000 kick start

Honda Wave I 125 B48,000 elec start

Honda NEW Wave PGM-FI 110 B34,000 kick start

Honda NEW Wave PGM-FI 110 B38,000 elec start

Honda CZ-i B37,000

Honda Click B46,000 cast wheels (now an old model, may be some good deals available)

Honda NEW Click FI B44,000 spoked wheels

Honda NEW Click FI B46,000 Combi brake

Honda NEW Click FI B48,000 Combi brake, cast wheels

Honda Air Blade B52,000 (now an old model, may be some good deals available)

Honda NEW Air Blade FI B55,500 Combi brake, cast wheels

Suzuki Step 125 B37,000 (now an old model, may be some good deals available)

Suzuki Hayate 125 B46,000 spoked wheels

Suzuki Hayate 125 B49,000 cast wheels

Suzuki Skydrive 125 B45,000 spoked wheels

Yamaha Mio B39,500

Yamaha Nouvo MX B48,000

Yamaha Nouvo Elegance B51,000 spoked wheels

Yamaha Nouvo Elegance B54,000 cast wheels

Pricing on some of the older models could be out of date.

The Suzukis have a 3 year / 30,000 Km warranty. The service interval is 4,000Km with drive belt replacement at 30,000Km

Registration, plates, insurance, transfer etc B1,000 at Mityon.

You can buy insurance against theft from Mityon for B2,000 for 1 year or B2,400 for 2 years.

I would be particularly interested to know if the prices nearby (Chonburi, Sri Ratcha, Satahip etc) are any cheaper.

Kawasaki D-Tracker 250 cc - 152k Baht.

post-34565-0-34188300-1317038215.jpg

A Thai guy would be riding that like he stole it (because he did) soon after you purchased it.

A Thai guy would be riding that like he stole it (because he did) soon after you purchased it.

Hmmmmm well not yet and not this week, because it's in Cambodia.

In the meantime, it's the best bike I know for riding out here.

What do you ride, a rental? rolleyes.gif

Kuffki gave a good evaluation. I put about 20K kms on my Elegance then purchased a new PCX and love it. I really enjoyed the Yamaha Elegance too. Some of my observations are:

- Better fuel economy on the PCX and getting well over 250 kms between fill ups (50% bigger tank on the PCX) - I hate waiting in gas station line ups! I am averaging over 125 mpg. (Imperial)

- More stable on highway and feels like a bigger bike. Wider tires are better when going over uneven surfaces, potholes etc. In dirt and sand the wider ties outperform.

- Better suspension - I put the aftermarket shocks on the back so I can take 2 large people easily.

- Many aftermarket accessories available for the PCX. I also had 2 large carry hooks installed because I liked the one on my Elegance (150 baht each).

- Handled the deep floods last month very well - my Elegance conked out in less water.

A few pluses for the Elegance in comparing the 2 bikes:

Elegance - is narrower and easier to park.

- turns sharper at very low speeds.

- has a kick starter if needed.

- less expensive.

If didn't mind spending the extra 20K baht on the PCX - I buy a new bike after 2 years and it was a nice move up and I think it will have good resale as they are getting very popular.

Hmmmmm well not yet and not this week, because it's in Cambodia.

In the meantime, it's the best bike I know for riding out here.

What do you ride, a rental? rolleyes.gif

It's a dirt bike with bark busters, road tyres and a carry/storage box on the back. I think it actually looks more gay than my rented Click. :GoldenSmile1:

Go along with you there Gerry Had an Elegance, then late last year changed to a PCX much better bike all round especially on fuel consumption

Spent the weekend on this ,it was scary....280Kmph on the highway 7 made me cum in my pants....This is now my favourite bike in the world it's awesome!

post-4087-0-91013400-1317630264.jpg

Anyone done any pricing research lately?

No but here are a few updates.

The Wave 125i got some new graphics about a year ago, I don't think there were any other changes, price is around B50,000.

The Suzuki Hayate got fuel injection about 9 months ago along with a slight price rise.

Suzuki and Honda have introduced the Jelato and Scoopy respectively. Cashing in on the popularity of the Fino, neither look as good as the Fino.

I just bought a new Click i. 47500. Base model with the spoked wheels. Mag wheel model was 51000

Perfect bike for me. Has cup holders and plastic bag hook. Im so glad I didnt buy an air blade now which lacks these I believe.

Lets be honest. No one looks cool on a scooter so better to get what suits your needs.

Did just over 100km for 2L of fuel.

I have been doing a lot of research on the net.

Was going to get the Honda PCX 125. Have read though that some parking places wont take them or charge more as they consider them too big. I like the alloys and the wide tyres but they are only 14 inch and tubed. It has fuel injection. No shopping hooks. Looks good for a scooter. Expensive at around 74,000 baht.

Thinking about Suzuki Hayate 125. Air cooled, generally water cooled is better. Can be good as air cooled is simpler. Fuel injected. 16inch spoke wheels standard but alloys available for a few more thousand baht. Not sure if they are tubeless tyres. Shopping hooks. Looks ok. Around 53,000 baht.

Leaning towards Yamaha Nouvo Elegance 135. Main downfall no Fuel injection, has a carby. 16 inch tubeless alloys. Shopping hooks and bars near the back of the seat to hook straps on to. Looks ok.

I am going to have to check them out more when I get back. Let me know if any info I have is wrong.

Pcx info is incorrect. Have had one from the day it hit the market- never refused or charged more.

Either someone got scammed, or he/she is an Internet troll.

I have been doing a lot of research on the net.

Was going to get the Honda PCX 125. Have read though that some parking places wont take them or charge more as they consider them too big. I like the alloys and the wide tyres but they are only 14 inch and tubed. It has fuel injection. No shopping hooks. Looks good for a scooter. Expensive at around 74,000 baht.

Thinking about Suzuki Hayate 125. Air cooled, generally water cooled is better. Can be good as air cooled is simpler. Fuel injected. 16inch spoke wheels standard but alloys available for a few more thousand baht. Not sure if they are tubeless tyres. Shopping hooks. Looks ok. Around 53,000 baht.

Leaning towards Yamaha Nouvo Elegance 135. Main downfall no Fuel injection, has a carby. 16 inch tubeless alloys. Shopping hooks and bars near the back of the seat to hook straps on to. Looks ok.

I am going to have to check them out more when I get back. Let me know if any info I have is wrong.

I was told that the Yamaha Nouvo will come out with the 135 water cooled Fuel injected Engine for 2012....Tubeless tired are a giant plus...Yamaha Dealer told me this~~

No place on the Planet like Pattaya..Don't let your meat loaf

I was told that the Yamaha Nouvo will come out with the 135 water cooled Fuel injected Engine for 2012....Tubeless tired are a giant plus...Yamaha Dealer told me this~~

Sounds like a good idea.

The 135cc Injection has been in the Spark for 3-4 years and it's much better than the carb' version.

I can't think why they didn't make the X1r and the Nouvo Elegance Injection too, unless it's a marketing thing.

I assume you mean the Elegance?

I've had 2 Nouvo Elegances and i think they are great. Cast wheels with tubeless tyres are better. I agree the PCX looks good but can be tricky parking in tight spaces. The only problem with the carb on the Yamaha is if you leave it for a few days it requires a few attempts to get started, otherwise no problem, same as the fuel injection. I checked the mpg on my new one and got 105 mpg.

I've had 2 Nouvo Elegances and i think they are great. Cast wheels with tubeless tyres are better. I agree the PCX looks good but can be tricky parking in tight spaces. The only problem with the carb on the Yamaha is if you leave it for a few days it requires a few attempts to get started, otherwise no problem, same as the fuel injection. I checked the mpg on my new one and got 105 mpg.

Nothing wrong with the Elegance (except the name lol) but my old Injection Spark ran much crisper , cleaner, responsive whatever versus my X1r with Carburettor ( x 2).

I did about 20k on each so I'm judging it on that plus what a couple of Ele' owners have told me. I don't like full autos myself, but the T135 engine is a good one whatever Yamaha put it in.

The PCX has never appealed to me. It looks a bit bulbous and I just can't deal with the kiddy looking handlebars sprouting out back there. I wouldn't choose to have the engine cut out automatically at lights thanks, but other than that it appears to go well.

Archived