Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Buying a new motorbike

gogo dog

I notice one of the reasons why most of u find fully auto bikes having a higher fuel consumption is greatly due to how u ride the bike.

1) Set the idling a lil lower when cold.

2) Go easy on the throttle when u move off

3) check(when cold) air pressure regularly and refill(best when tires are cold cuz hot air have higher pressures) on tires every 3rd day

If the above fails....

Lose weight.

Cheers !

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought myself a Hayatte. I had a hard time deciding between that one and the new Sky drive (injection) model of the Hayatte. But when it came down to it i took the older model since the sky drive lacked the storage space under the seat. There you could store a pack of smokes and thats about it. The Hayatte has room for a helmet and then some. Has great tourque, does over a 100km/h if u wanna go that fast. Downside is the size of the gas tank. Regular stops at the gas station is required but having had it now for 6 months, thats also the only downside i see with it!

Worth every bath i paid for it (close to 46k i think it was)

I bought myself a Hayatte. I had a hard time deciding between that one and the new Sky drive (injection) model of the Hayatte. But when it came down to it i took the older model since the sky drive lacked the storage space under the seat. There you could store a pack of smokes and thats about it. The Hayatte has room for a helmet and then some. Has great tourque, does over a 100km/h if u wanna go that fast. Downside is the size of the gas tank. Regular stops at the gas station is required but having had it now for 6 months, thats also the only downside i see with it!

Worth every bath i paid for it (close to 46k i think it was)

Check the size of the petrol tank, I think it's 4.9L for the Hayate. When the fuel gauge reads empty see how much fuel it will take. A friend's Hayate still has nearly 2L in the tank when the fuel gauge says empty.

The CBR-150 is a nice bike even if the design is dated. Bought mine 3 years ago, now has 57000 trouble free kilometers on it. Top speed is about 140, top cruising speed about 130, so it's fast enough. It also has a large 10 liter gas tank, so it does not need to be filled so often. I often ride mine all the way to Bangkok. The worst problem with these is the seat, your butt really hurts after a 2 hour ride. Mine cost 59K new, but I hear they're now going for about 67K. These also have the luxury of going fast when you need to, in case you want to get away from a drunk driver or anything else.

DON'T BUY ONE OF THOSE 19990 bikes from that clown on third road. I bought one for my Thai girlfriend, the idea was that since she only rode 30 kilometers a week, it would be sufficient. It was not, absolute junk with many problems. It was so bad I let her sell it for 5000 baht with only 1500 kilometers on it, then bought her a new Honda CZI, which, of course has been flawless.

Bobr...ya got me laughing with your post!

'That clown' is Platinum Motors and run by a guy named Bobby.

Don not know him personally, seemed like a nice enough guy.....

I was curious about those 19k bikes on 3rd Rd near Soi X-yte, but realized something hadda be wrong.

Thanks for the head's up.

He also sells a small dirt bike, air cooled, 150cc Looks like a Honda knock off from Taiwan.

I stopped various owners of this bike about Pattaya and inquired as to how they handled, good quality, etc.

No one had anything good to say about them, that they were complete junk and the worse ride they had ever had!

So yeah, stick to a Suzook Hayate or Honda Wave.

Have heard guys in town rant against Nuovos, that they do not age well. Come to think of it, I rented

a real junker last trip and it was a Yamaha Nuovo. I returned it ...early!

ALL girls like it in the Ass. Not all know it....yet!

I regularly get 140kms out of my Suzuki Hayate, but doing a quick calculation, based on the 4.7 litre tank, I should be able get around 160-170 kms running it almost empty.

DON'T BUY ONE OF THOSE 19990 bikes from that clown on third road. I bought one for my Thai girlfriend, the idea was that since she only rode 30 kilometers a week, it would be sufficient. It was not, absolute junk with many problems. It was so bad I let her sell it for 5000 baht with only 1500 kilometers on it, then bought her a new Honda CZI, which, of course has been flawless.

That China Junk you cant give away..No one wants them and you get what you pay for.

The nice looking Automatics Suck gas and the drivetrain on many causes flat tires and excessive noise..

Best deals are the standard shifters with chain drive and regular carbs not the Fuel injectors..If your outside town most shops can repair a chain driven bike with a regular carb and the savings in gas mileage will soon pay for itself..

No place on the Planet like Pattaya..Don't let your meat loaf

buttmint > do you know what is the real difference between the Wave Series : R, S, i, X ...

R is possibly Racing ?

I : injection

S : Standard ?

X : Xtrem ?

but what is the real signification ?

That China Junk you cant give away..No one wants them and you get what you pay for.

The nice looking Automatics Suck gas and the drivetrain on many causes flat tires and excessive noise..

Best deals are the standard shifters with chain drive and regular carbs not the Fuel injectors..If your outside town most shops can repair a chain driven bike with a regular carb and the savings in gas mileage will soon pay for itself..

How does the drive train cause flats?

buttmint > do you know what is the real difference between the Wave Series : R, S, i, X ...

R is possibly Racing ?

I : injection

S : Standard ?

X : Xtrem ?

but what is the real signification ?

The R is now discontinued. See the first post in this thread for an explanation of the X, S & I. One dealer told me the X has a smaller frame but I have been unable to confirm that.

How does the drive train cause flats?

Not sure but many mechanics think this also..I bought a Nuevo when they first came out several Yrs ago..Flats once to twice a week--No nails just flat tires...Im a little guy so weight was not an issue...

New Rims-Tubes-Tires did not solve it...The Yamaha Dealership was clueless but told me this is a Big problem in the Automatics...

The R is now discontinued. See the first post in this thread for an explanation of the X, S & I. One dealer told me the X has a smaller frame but I have been unable to confirm that.

Yes i believe the X superceded the R.

MaGik...

yeah, the R has been discontinued.....

even the dealers themselves are uncertain of all the various models they have on hand.

If you have a bike currently and live in Pattaya, suss out the various dealerships in Pattaya, Ban Chang

and Rayong. Just make sure you have all your Pattaya numbers in hand first.

Generally, it is not worth the extra distance. Might be a fun challenge for some.

I rode my shitty rental scooter (Nuovo) up to Sri Racha, checking out dealers all over the place.

The Pattaya ones were better and less expensive!

I like Mityon the best. You will range about and do your own homework. Think in terms of future

oil changes and servicing. Do they have a good crew on hand? Enough English speaking ability?

Do a Google Search.

Type in "Honda Wave" and begin sussing. Read the Wikipedia link, very good.

The 125cc engine has better bearings internally. Other goodies.

There are cheerleaders on both sides of the Injection issue. I've got a Wave i model and love it.

Runs smooth. No hiccups.

Really, if you weigh less than 100 kgs, you could pick up a nifty Honda Wave 110cc

with PGM-F1...this is Honda's fuel injection....price range is at 36-38k.

The less expensive Honda Waves 125cc are less expensive because they are kick start only.

Hey, spend the extra 3k baht and get an electric start. I have both types of starters and use both regularly.

But on some hot day at Foodland and you've got groceries all over the damn place, loaded up with

your gal and her cutie friend, you're sweating and the LAST THING you wanna do is have to kick start your ride!

No shit.

If you are in Pattaya, buy a good helmet at the Mityon Motors that is located at Pattaya Tai and Sai Sam (3rd Rd).

OR...if you know your helmet size, have a buddy bring you a good helmet from farangland.

There are many good close-out models on various moto websites, but they do not ship to Prathet Thai.

And...very important....count on hauling your helmet wherever you go! I know, can be a bummer.

I hadda cool O'Neal MX helmet and it got pinched at Tukcom one early eve, cost new was about 4700b. Ouch.

Noodles has lost a decent helmet, cost a whopping 550b. Noodles currently holds the Ptty-Addicts record of

TWO HOURS from purchase time to getting nicked!

If you can beat this record, please post!

Noodles' helmet disappeared while his bike was parked at Carrefour...outside.

better to park within the parking structure. Free parking and the sun won't bake your ride.

Go-Go-Dog: lub your avatar! Most excellent! Great Topic thread.....

As ever great info here chaps!!!!

Looks like the new fav value auto bike is the Suziki Hayate so wil be renting 1 when i get back into town to try it out!!!!

Its a half way house between the Airblade (110cc) & Elegance (135cc).

Just wondered is there any new models of the Hayate yet apart from the optional mag wheels version???

Can you get good rental price of 2800-3000bt p/mth rental on these too these days???

Cheers,

You cannot escape the spell or the lure of the Thai darkside Kyrano!!! Posted Image

A quote by Oscar Wilde " A cynic recognises the cost of everything, and the value of nothing"

Sticky...

there is a new Hayate out, called the SkyDrive.

I believe that this is Suzook's fuel injected engine.

Cool thing about Suzuki's is that they have well-thought out cubbyholes inside

the mud shield that protects your legs. You can stash cameras, water bottles, etc.

The Honda Wave is lacking any of these nifty features. Hayate does have a sizeable truck space

under the seat.

If you are going low season, low ball the operators. Proposed 2k baht per month.

They don't like and counter? Begin walking.

They'd rather have their bike making some money than zero. If it is just sitting there, it is less than

zero. Check air pressure in tyres. Rental bikes are supoosed to air themselves up by themselves, doncha know?

Renting various motorbike models is an excelletn way to suss out what each particular rider likes,

given their personal demands.

Auto tranny bikes are also called "Twist 'n Go's." You twist the throttle and GO!

Have fun! Wear your helmet.....

Yamaha Elegance: I do not have personal experience but have chatted with various owners.

Most seemd very happy and pleased with their bike.

Anyone else have good/bad feedback with the Yam Elegance?

Im a long time X-Pat here and I love Bikes...What I have noticed over a few Years is the tried and true regulag carb chain driven seem to go 100,000 KM with little maintenance..This is why I have Never seen a motorbike Taxi but an automatic...

The Automatics are rather new Technology..Injection even more so..Dust,Dirt,Muddy conditions affect these injectors...Especially rural dirt roads...

Automatics get lousy gas mileage and seem to start grinding and making Noise when they get in the 20,000 KM zone..There cool and the Girls LOVE them BUT just future headaches and expense in the near future...I saw a MIO just yesterday with 30,000 KM on the clock could not cross the road with jumping and grinding in the Transmission...It was ready to fall apart..

I go with what the Mechanics say about these bikes..Sexy and modern but a real headache in the near future...

If I were staying for a few months or more I would buy a good secondhand Wave and then sell it.

This is a pretty good site to check:

http://www.motorcycle.in.th/staticpages/in...ycle_Price_List

This guy might end up selling his Honda CLick for 30k Baht

http://www.motorcycle.in.th/classifieds/in...090516161811178

Am I worthy of being a Soi Prisoner you tell me?

Zero to Hero

for 50k they are all disposable anyway

Better to be daring and cool, than timid and uncool! Life's journey is not about arriving at your gravesite in a well preserved condition, but rather dropping into it in a long sideways skid, totally worn out, and shouting "Holy Shit...What a ride" - Indian Larry

Buttmint, the Skydrive is a small framed, single sided swinging arm design similar to the Step, Click and Mio. I think it is intended to replace the Step. It's the best looking bike by a long way and with the fuel injected 125 engine it should go well.

thx for the clarification Go-Go-Dog.

How's the heat in Pattaya? You jumping from aircon to aircon until night finds you?

thx for the clarification Go-Go-Dog.

How's the heat in Pattaya? You jumping from aircon to aircon until night finds you?

It's been pretty warm with quite a bit of rain here since you went home. Got a bit of a road trip lined up for next weekend, we'll put some pics on the board next week.

Hello there good gents hope all is well. I just finished reading the thread and so much useful info and data. What motorbike would you recommend for a heavier person. I am around 130kilos. Thank you for your time and response. Ya'll take care and be safe.

Robert

Becareful, The toes you step on today might be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow... Arriba Arriba Cabrones!!!

Archived