IGNORED

Buying a new motorbike

gogo dog

Hello there good gents hope all is well. I just finished reading the thread and so much useful info and data. What motorbike would you recommend for a heavier person. I am around 130kilos. Thank you for your time and response. Ya'll take care and be safe.

Robert

I would avoid a Click, Mio, Fino, Step or Skydrive. They only have a single sided swinging arm and single spring/damper. Your best bets for a heavier rider are a Nouvo, Hayate or Wave. You can buy heavy duty spring/damper units for less than B2,000 which will make the bike handle much better 2 up.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Im a long time X-Pat here and I love Bikes...What I have noticed over a few Years is the tried and true regulag carb chain driven seem to go 100,000 KM with little maintenance..This is why I have Never seen a motorbike Taxi but an automatic...

The Automatics are rather new Technology..Injection even more so..Dust,Dirt,Muddy conditions affect these injectors...Especially rural dirt roads...

Automatics get lousy gas mileage and seem to start grinding and making Noise when they get in the 20,000 KM zone..There cool and the Girls LOVE them BUT just future headaches and expense in the near future...I saw a MIO just yesterday with 30,000 KM on the clock could not cross the road with jumping and grinding in the Transmission...It was ready to fall apart..

I go with what the Mechanics say about these bikes..Sexy and modern but a real headache in the near future...

I am surely not a bike expert but could this not be mainly the reason because no good maintenance and replacing the necessary mechanic a the proper intervals?? as whee now many just drive KM's until something falls off or break down......; checkups??? T.I.T. !!!

Non native English writing poster, not using a spell checker !! 

....keep in mind that to buy a NEW 125cc powered motorscooter in

Pattaya, you are looking at roughly 50k baht....or $1k-1500 USD.

Depends which bike you get...

Dunno the exchange into baht or Oz dollars.

Check your own bike prices in your home country to get a rude awakening!

I checked out NEW scooter prices in USA...50cc moped for $4,500 USD, or $153k baht!

Another shocker today...a 250cc VESPA, new was $6200 USD, or 211k baht!

Scary indeed.

One can purchase a new Kawasaki D-Tracker for 150k baht.

IE...scooters are a deal in Prathet Thai, get one!

ALL girls like it in the Ass. Not all know it....yet!

Hello there good gents hope all is well. I just finished reading the thread and so much useful info and data. What motorbike would you recommend for a heavier person. I am around 130kilos. Thank you for your time and response. Ya'll take care and be safe.

Robert

A man of your size theres only one to really consider..Honda Phantom...

No place on the Planet like Pattaya..Don't let your meat loaf

Thinking of buying a bike.

I like the idea of the Honda Wave 125 i because it doesn't stand out and will last forever. BUT, 2 things I don't like about the wave I have now (which is old as hell 125 s).

1. small frame - I am 6' 1" and the hayate is much more comfortable.

2. no drink holders and not enough room under the seat for my helmet - 2 great things about the hayate.

Price difference isn't too great I don't think - something like 40k versus 50k. I am really torn, but I guess will have to go with the hayate so I can store my helmet nice and dry and keep my bottle of water handy.

Any manuals that are as comfy and convenient as the hayate?

lads....have a question about lane splitting or what its like to

ride a bike in Thailand?

Check out the following classic...be sure to pay attention to the right rear view mirror to

take in the TG filming all.

Head to the loo prior to watching this vid.....the guy does a nice job.

Not for the faint of heart...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwsonBNntgE

I have a new Kawasaki Kaze 130CC..Faster then the 125 Hondas..Gas tank in the front fairing so theres No tank under the seat..Lots of storage under the seat and has chain drive and 4 speed gear box...The CG is good and it handles well in the city...Lots of power for this bike...

No place on the Planet like Pattaya..Don't let your meat loaf

lads....have a question about lane splitting or what its like to

ride a bike in Thailand?

Check out the following classic...be sure to pay attention to the right rear view mirror to

take in the TG filming all.

Head to the loo prior to watching this vid.....the guy does a nice job.

Not for the faint of heart...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwsonBNntgE

this is interesting but nothing to do with buying a new motorbike

el jefe..

true...not much about buying a bike...but if you have an accident riding like this..you would be looking for a new ride!

LOL!

How's the bike prices holding up? Or down?

The other day i decided to get a new bike, so today myself long with another board member we went shopping.

We were really unsure what to buy but were tossing between Yamaha Elegance or Suzuki Hayate or Honda Airbalde

I read all the posting on the board, also did alot of research on the net and still could not decide.

Anyhow, once we were in the shop this is what we found

1. Honda AirBlade-Yes it is a good ride, and everything else people say, however the negs are

- It is only 110cc

- No cup holders or hook to carry groceries

2. Yamaha Elegance-Is as good as everyone writes, the only negatives we could find was

- The price, the most expensive bike in its class

- Suspension slightly hard compared to Suzuki Hayate.

-Important to note for shorter people-If you under 168cm tall, you will have difficulty reaching the ground

3. Suzuki Hayate- same as other 2, great bike. The negatives we found was

- Styling is little boring, even though it is personal taste, but i think making it little more sporty would make a huge difference

- Not very popular with Thai people or foreigners, so to resell could be little harder

- Motor warranty is only 3 years compared to Yamaha Elegance 5 years

- Funny enough, even though it is June 2009, no 2009 models available, only 2008

-Important to note for shorter people-If you under 168cm tall, you will have difficulty reaching the ground

We ended up buying Yamaha Elegance and got a pretty good price 53000 for 2009 model with mag wheels plus a good 1000 baht helmet.

The other difference in ride itself, Hayate is more softer on the bumps around town, but Elegance is better for long trips

Hope this helps some people to make up their mind, i know it was driving me crazy.

PS. I am really unsure how someone managed to buy Hayate for 41000, the cheapest price for 2 bikes we could get was 46000, with mags 49000

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psvL2eYQ7YM&feature=related

There are three sides to every argument: your side, my side and the right side.

Thank God I'm an atheist.

The other day i decided to get a new bike, so today myself long with another board member we went shopping.

We were really unsure what to buy but were tossing between Yamaha Elegance or Suzuki Hayate or Honda Airbalde

I read all the posting on the board, also did alot of research on the net and still could not decide.

Anyhow, once we were in the shop this is what we found

1. Honda AirBlade-Yes it is a good ride, and everything else people say, however the negs are

- It is only 110cc

- No cup holders or hook to carry groceries

2. Yamaha Elegance-Is as good as everyone writes, the only negatives we could find was

- The price, the most expensive bike in its class

- Suspension slightly hard compared to Suzuki Hayate.

3. Suzuki Hayate- same as other 2, great bike. The negatives we found was

- Styling is little boring, even though it is personal taste, but i think making it little more sporty would make a huge difference

- Not very popular with Thai people or foreigners, so to resell could be little harder

- Motor warranty is only 3 years compared to Yamaha Elegance 5 years

- Funny enough, even though it is June 2009, no 2009 models available, only 2008

We ended up buying Yamaha Elegance and got a pretty good price 53000 for 2009 model with mag wheels plus a good 1000 baht helmet.

The other difference in ride itself, Hayate is more softer on the bumps around town, but Elegance is better for long trips

Hope this helps some people to make up their mind, i know it was driving me crazy.

PS. I am really unsure how someone managed to buy Hayate for 41000, the cheapest price for 2 bikes we could get was 46000, with mags 49000

good writeup. was the dealer on Pattaya Dai and 3rd road.

Do you need to have a license to ride a motorbike in thailand? or is there a CC limit like in America? (in America the usual limit depending on state is 50cc)

Do you need to have a license to ride a motorbike in thailand? or is there a CC limit like in America? (in America the usual limit depending on state is 50cc)

Need to have a Thai License after living here for more than something like 2-3 months - the letter of the law. For first few months and holidays, should have an international motobike license. but, if your home license is in English, it may be ok in some places. e.g., got my car license here based solely on my california DL.

driving without a license is a 400 baht fine. Only stopped once and they confiscated my motobike keys till i returned from the police station having paid the ticket.

• 2 weeks later...

I've ridden a lot of bikes here in Pattaya and rented quite a few Airblades. They include the Honda Phantom, Honda Click, Yamaha Mio, Yamaha Fino, Nouvo 115 c.c. MX (which I owned for 3 years), the Nouvo Elegance 135 c.c. (which I presently own), Honda Waves, and even a Honda 400 c.c. Shadow Harley look a like.

For driving in Pattaya and similar environments the Yamaha 135 c.c. Elegance is the king. It is a superb piece of machinery. Here's my review motorbike review

Jack Corbett

I've ridden a lot of bikes here in Pattaya and rented quite a few Airblades. They include the Honda Phantom, Honda Click, Yamaha Mio, Yamaha Fino, Nouvo 115 c.c. MX (which I owned for 3 years), the Nouvo Elegance 135 c.c. (which I presently own), Honda Waves, and even a Honda 400 c.c. Shadow Harley look a like.

For driving in Pattaya and similar environments the Yamaha 135 c.c. Elegance is the king. It is a superb piece of machinery. Here's my review motorbike review

A very detailed review Jack but no mention of the Suzuki Hayate.

I've heard the under seat storage in the Elegance gets very hot, can you confirm this?

A very detailed review Jack but no mention of the Suzuki Hayate.

I've heard the under seat storage in the Elegance gets very hot, can you confirm this?

Had my elegance for about 3 weeks and haven't noticed that.

As for Elegance versus Hayate (which i rented for 3 months), I would say the Hayate is faster and suspension is better for small potholes and small speed bumps; but, my hayate used to bottom out on large speed bumps occasionally and my elegance hasn't. The Elegance is more stable feeling though.

The Hayate's cup holders and room under the front hook (for shopping bags) are nicer too.

I'd say for just around town the Hayate is the winner, but to run up to Ban Chang and Rayong might be nicer on the Elegance. Although I notice without good protective gear, you won't be driving over 100 km/hour anyway, so I don't know how helpful the extra power is.

My dream bike would be a Honda Wave 125i with nice cup holders, more under the seat storage and room for shopping bags in the trough in front of the seat. Most important, a bigger frame so I don't look too ridiculous :MonkeyFight:

Thanks. I've ridden the Suzuki for a short distance and felt it was a knockoff of the Yamaha MX 115 c.c. model I had at that time. Wheelbase, tire size, etc were all the same. It has a 125 c.c. engine to the Nouvo MX's 115 c.c. which is actually 113 c.c.'s but I never found any horsepower figures for it. The bike felt no faster than my Nouvo MX but it was not broken in either. I think it's a good bike and definitely superior to Mio's, Finos, Honda Waves, and Honda Clicks because of its heavier frame, larger tires, and twin springs in the rear so what I've said in my review about the Nouvo and Air Blade applies to it as well. One will not find nearly as many dealers for it as one will find for Honda and Yamaha though. It is air cooled like the Nouvo MX and not Liquid cooled like the Air Blade and Nouvo Elegance. The benefits of air cooling versus Liquid cooling is an interesting subject but I do know that once companies such as Honda started introducing Liquid cooling on motorcycles horsepower and longevity both went up. So I'm thinking that when Honda introduced Liquid cooling on the Air Blade it was upping the ante over Yamaha, but it didn't work out as the Yamaha would still outperform the Air Blade .

Liquid cooled engines are quieter and the Air Blade is definitely quieter than the Nouvo MX. But when Yamaha came out with the Elegance it got the best of both worlds. That is the quietness and overall smoothness of the Air Blade with a killer engine that can really perform. And while Yamaha was at it I think their engineers sat down and closely studied the handling abilities of both bikes, and concluded that the Air Blade was the superior handler in many respects (but not all), then decided, how can we make the Nouvo turn quicker and more precisely so it's more Air Bladish, while still offering the best handling qualities of the MX, then they increased the seat height while pushing the seat closer to the front wheel along with God knows what else, and the end result was handling superior to even the Air Blades.

As far as how hot the luggage compartment is, I really can't say other than to comment I've had no issues with it although I'd prefer a proper portable cooler for keeping my beer cold.

Jack Corbett

As for Elegance versus Hayate (which i rented for 3 months), I would say the Hayate is faster and suspension is better for small potholes and small speed bumps; but, my hayate used to bottom out on large speed bumps occasionally and my elegance hasn't. The Elegance is more stable feeling though.

The Hayate's cup holders and room under the front hook (for shopping bags) are nicer too.

I'd say for just around town the Hayate is the winner, but to run up to Ban Chang and Rayong might be nicer on the Elegance. Although I notice without good protective gear, you won't be driving over 100 km/hour anyway, so I don't know how helpful the extra power is.

My dream bike would be a Honda Wave 125i with nice cup holders, more under the seat storage and room for shopping bags in the trough in front of the seat. Most important, a bigger frame so I don't look too ridiculous :)

Cup holder are important especially if you have a Burger King hat on.

:)

I think I will need stronger shocks, two paper bags, a big bottle of whiskey, and after the deed some serious mental professional help to forget.

My dream bike would be a Honda Wave 125i with nice cup holders, more under the seat storage and room for shopping bags in the trough in front of the seat. Most important, a bigger frame so I don't look too ridiculous :D

Do you think bigger frame will help you NOT to look to ridiculous??? LOL

Got Elegance same time as El_jefe fromt he same shop, actually bought it together,He copied me and got the same color. :)

The seat does not get hot, but everything inside the seat does :)

How did you manage to get El_jefe's photo ?

He usually does not go to Burger King, i always though he was McDonald man :)

How did you manage to get El_jefe's photo ?

He usually does not go to Burger King, i always though he was McDonald man :)

I heard he changed to Burger King now that he has the 'Hamburger Hook' and 'Cup Holder' on the new bike. Moving on up!

• 2 weeks later...

Go-Go Dog and fellow moto dudes...

just found out an odd tidbit..the Honda Wave i 125cc

bike has a ceramic-coated piston.

This is usually reserved for race engines and high performance mods.

hmmmmmmm?

Go-Go Dog and fellow moto dudes...

just found out an odd tidbit..the Honda Wave i 125cc

bike has a ceramic-coated piston.

This is usually reserved for race engines and high performance mods.

hmmmmmmm?

LOL, you had better start saving up for that turbocharger and nitrous oxide kit :)

• 2 weeks later...

anyone buy a new bike recently?

what are used bikes renting for in the off-season currently?

Archived