IGNORED

Tough New Policy for Visa Runs

Scumbag

Out of curiosity, do most people feel / believe that the TIMING of this change has anything to do with the recent change in Government?

Or has it been something that (perhaps) Immigration has been considering since they re-instated the land-border 30 day visa exemption (for most Western Passport holders) several months ago?

In the end it doesn't really matter, but it seems like a lot of these decisions are sudden and rather "knee-jerk" in nature.

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the end it doesn't really matter, but it seems like a lot of these decisions are sudden and rather "knee-jerk" in nature.

Welcome to Thailand....lol

I don't believe that this has anything to do with the government because as far as I can tell there are no new laws. All they are doing is stating that they are going to enforce the law.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

I would always be leaving on a tourist visa. But I've seen people turned away from the consulate in Vientiane before and they've had to return to Thailand on an exemption stamp.

I am no expert, leaving on a tourist visa you are not doing a back to back visa exemption (famous last words) so you should be ok for a visa exemption, if need be.

Out of curiosity, do most people feel / believe that the TIMING of this change has anything to do with the recent change in Government?

Or has it been something that (perhaps) Immigration has been considering since they re-instated the land-border 30 day visa exemption (for most Western Passport holders) several months ago?

They've been hounding the land crossing visa dodgers for several years.

The recent reversal from 15 days to 30 days for G7 countries was odd, but probably not really to suit most of us.

in any case they were still trying to limit the number of back-to-back crossings but it was messy.

Now they've closed the door, so everyone must get a visa to be legal.

The situation for air crossings after 12th Aug isn't yet clear, but they won't want to upset genuine tourists.

The obvious answer, as they are predicting on Thaivisa, is to copy Cambodia and introduce a 30 day Visa on arrival for about 1000 Baht.

The Thai immigration officials have long been griping that for all those land crossings, Cambodia collects $20 a time and Thailand gets nothing.

A 1000 Baht Visa would solve everything as far as I can see.

I'm sure they could still waive the fee for some nationals.

I can feel a  30 day 1000 Baht tourist visa coming on!  Just like Cambodia!

Ditto

How will someone fare visiting Thailand 3 times a year  for a period no longer than a month stay per visit, will we still get a visa on entry for 30 days or will this change?

Look at Vietnam, their visa is a hassle to get and expensive and their tourism is booming.

How will someone fare visiting Thailand 3 times a year  for a period no longer than a month stay per visit, will we still get a visa on entry for 30 days or will this change?

They haven't said yet - they'll make another announcement by Aug 12th.

Most guesses are for a 30 Day Tourist Visa for c. 1000 Baht - could be VoA or e-Visa - nobody knows yet.

A 30 day visa exemption!

I am in the same boat and don't think it will be a problem!  We are legitimate sex tourist!  Not someone doing a border run every month. 

Russian denied entry at Phuket International Airport over 'visa' crackdown

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/725407-thailand-live-monday-12-may-2014/#entry7808754

x1_201459171632449_ZvuZiOcLieZyqkSAEZlTtAAbkLNCjHvZeMrPhfkD_jpeg_jpeg_pagespeed_ic_DVdhuJul-H.jpg

Mariia Sgibneva, 26, hoped the sharing her story might raise awareness and prevent others from unexpectedly being denied entry into Thailand. Photo: Mariia Sgibneva / Facbook

PHUKET: -- A Russian national was denied entry into Thailand by Phuket International Airport Immigration officers on April 21 and detained until she could be deported the next morning.

Full story: http://www.thaivisa....visa-crackdown/

Non native English writing poster, not using a spell checker !! 

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/725407-thailand-live-monday-12-may-2014/#entry7808754

attachicon.gifx1_201459171632449_ZvuZiOcLieZyqkSAEZlTtAAbkLNCjHvZeMrPhfkD_jpeg_jpeg_pagespeed_ic_DVdhuJul-H.jpg

Mariia Sgibneva, 26, hoped the sharing her story might raise awareness and prevent others from unexpectedly being denied entry into Thailand. Photo: Mariia Sgibneva / Facbook

PHUKET: -- A Russian national was denied entry into Thailand by Phuket International Airport Immigration officers on April 21 and detained until she could be deported the next morning.

LOL, judging from that picture she might have been 26 about 10 years ago.

This whole situation makes me a little uneasy about doing any overland visa runs while leaving all my stuff in Thailand. I'm only planning on doing one anyway, so if I understand the new rules I should be ok. Still though, there is something uncomfortable about sudden changes to the rules and having to rely on some random Thai border guard to enforce them properly. Do not like.

My idea : 

- the targets of the immigration are the "low-class" tourists/unofficial residents that can only afford a visa run to increase a stay

- if you make a 3-month visa at the immigration office (or via an agency) for 9.000 - 12.000 bahts and then you make a visa run, I guess you won't have any problem. Then : repeat.

- if you make a 3-month visa at the immigration office (or via an agency) for 9.000 - 12.000 bahts and then you make a visa run, I guess you won't have any problem. Then : repeat.

Legally you need to obtain a visa outside of Thailand. Here lies the risk because if you travel to another country and they refuse to issue a visa you may be stuck (if they tighten further in August).

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

That's how we got this  :-  http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/226176-visa-companycould-arrange-visa-renewals-for-foreigners-without-them-needing-to-leave-the-country-for-a-fee-of-6000-thb/#entry2659582

I'm not affect by this ... yet ... but since I plan to spend a lot more time in Thailand in the future topics on Visas tend to get my attention. I have also had a fair amount of experience with Visas and Work Permits in 3 SEA countries already (Taiwan, Singapore, Philippines), I have encountered a number of rule similarities, and enforcement differences (Singapore being the strictest and Philippines on the other end). However, all three countries had a similar rule for dealing with people entering as tourist with a Visa Exemption, which is different than a Visa on Arrival, I believe. 

In Singapore, the Filipinas push the Visa limits the same as many BMs seem to do, but for different reasons of course. Singapore, has a law that anyone entering on a tourist Visa Exemption can remain in the country for a maximum of 90 days out of any 6 month period. Taiwan and Philippines have a similar rule, but the numbers are a bit different. It took me some looking but I found the same rule in Thailand, and it matches Singapore. I've included the link below as well as a copy of the text. If this is already well known then I apologize, but it doesn't look like a new rule, but starting to enforce an existing one.

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15380-Questions-&-Answers-on-Thai-Visa.html

Nationals of the United States of America and 41 other countries are eligible

to travel to Thailand, for tourism purpose, with the exemption of visa and

are permitted to stay in the Kingdom for a period of not exceeding 30 days.

Therefore, you do not need a visa.

However, please make sure that you are in possession of a passport valid for

at least 6 months, a round-trip air ticket, and adequate finances equivalent to

at least 10,000 Baht per person or 20,000 Baht per family. Otherwise, you may be

inconvenienced upon entry into the country.

Furthermore, foreigners who enter the Kingdom under this Tourist Visa Exemption Scheme may re-enter and stay in Thailand for a cumulative duration of stay of

not exceeding 90 days within any 6-month period from the date of first entry.

It's the one you don't hear that gets you, and the one you don't see coming that traps you.

:WinkGrin1:

attachicon.gifx1_201459171632449_ZvuZiOcLieZyqkSAEZlTtAAbkLNCjHvZeMrPhfkD_jpeg_jpeg_pagespeed_ic_DVdhuJul-H.jpg

One down...

Furthermore, foreigners who enter the Kingdom under this Tourist Visa Exemption Scheme may re-enter and stay in Thailand for a cumulative duration of stay of

This policy was put in place years ago and enforced for a short period of time. It was put into place for the same as this new one, i.e. stop people from abusing the system. It has not been enforced for a long time.

This new policy is different because (up until 12 Aug) you can only have two back to back visa waiver entries (with the second being at a land crossing). Hence the worst case scenario is someone initially arriving at a land crossing will only be allowed to stay in Thailand for a total of 30 days without satisfying the immigration officer that he/she did not just leave to extend their stay. The way I am reading it after 12 Aug people will not be able to get two back to back visa waiver entries.

Can only wait to see what the next announcement on or before Aug 12th brings.

This policy was put in place years ago and enforced for a short period of time. It was put into place for the same as this new one, i.e. stop people from abusing the system. It has not been enforced for a long time.

This new policy is different because (up until 12 Aug) you can only have two back to back visa waiver entries (with the second being at a land crossing). Hence the worst case scenario is someone initially arriving at a land crossing will only be allowed to stay in Thailand for a total of 30 days without satisfying the immigration officer that he/she did not just leave to extend their stay. The way I am reading it after 12 Aug people will not be able to get two back to back visa waiver entries.

Well, you guys know a hell of a lot more about Thailand than I do, but it all smells the same to me. The Thai Visa notice, the Phuket crackdown, and the Russian article above all mention excessive back to back visa runs. With a 30 day exemption and two visa runs you get 90 days, which is what the rules say. Even the articles claim an 3 visa run rule, which would be 120 days assuming a 30 day stamp, unless they are counting initial entry as one. They all seem to imply that you can do it a couple of times, but too many breaks the rules, and that is what it says on their website. I have been unable to find any other reference in the Thai immigration pages other than that. 

I will sit back and watch how this plays out as it is interesting.

It's the one you don't hear that gets you, and the one you don't see coming that traps you.

:WinkGrin1:

I let my visa lapse and have done 2 re-entries via air. I also did one re-entry via land (multiple entry visa) 4 months ago. I was planning on going over land to Cambodia and back soon which would give me just enough time until my flight to the states. Based on what has been said, I should still be allowed to do one over land re-entry? Thoughts?

I let my visa lapse and have done 2 re-entries via air. I also did one re-entry via land (multiple entry visa) 4 months ago. I was planning on going over land to Cambodia and back soon which would give me just enough time until my flight to the states. Based on what has been said, I should still be allowed to do one over land re-entry? Thoughts?

A re-entry on a tourist visa? or a 30/15 visa exemption?

Personally I'd fly back in.

You forgot to quote me on" Visa Exemption" But I am sure you will take credit somewhere along the lines for it!

I wonder if this will affect the many Lao citizens with passports who currently get a 30-day stamp at the border and can do monthly border runs to stay in Thailand indefinitely. It must be obvious that most of them are working illegally, but I've never heard of them being refused a 30-day stamp. I believe the arrangement is reciprocal for Thais (with passports) entering Laos.

Archived