Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Tough New Policy for Visa Runs

Scumbag

Sorry guys but I really cant see what the issue is - just get a multiple entry visa before you travel to LOS - they are not THAT expensive.

All the"Ah but what ifs"  and the "Maybe if I"s are eliminated by doing something so utterly simple.

The Thais want to crack down on foreign criminals, vagabonds and illegal workers not genuine tourists, legitimate workers with a work permit or people on a retirement visa.

The language school study visa used by many to obfuscate the legal requirements live in LOS, mostly to stop people staying and illegally working rather than actually studying. has been clamped down on so why not this ?

I guess if someone is trying to live, or spend a long time, in Thailand on a limited budget then the minibus to nearest border every 30 days was an easy and cheap option. Then that became 15 days. Now being stopped (supposedly). In addition, the 'official' rules can be different depending which consulate you ask and, as TiT, they are often ignored anyway - especially if you know someone who can pay the appropriate tea money to the right person.

All part of life in TLOS. I love the place, but it is completely corrupt and utterly chaotic :-)

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Phew last day in Thailand is Aug 11, so this won't affect me this trip, next trip will just get multi-entry visa in Canada at the Thai embassy/consulate in Montreal.

Question: what if you marry a Thai? Can get residence based on that?

Just thinking that foreigners night start marrying locals for visa reasons....

It qualifies you for a non-imm O visa and extensions of stay.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

I guess if someone is trying to live, or spend a long time, in Thailand on a limited budget then the minibus to nearest border every 30 days was an easy and cheap option. Then that became 15 days. Now being stopped (supposedly). In addition, the 'official' rules can be different depending which consulate you ask and, as TiT, they are often ignored anyway - especially if you know someone who can pay the appropriate tea money to the right person.

All part of life in TLOS. I love the place, but it is completely corrupt and utterly chaotic :-)

I take your point and understand the principle of shifting sands but mate they will give you a multiple entry visa at the Thai Embassy in London without batting an eyelid - if your passport is full of single entry stamps just get new one.

If your on the ground there that's obviously useless advice though and I totally understand what your saying about tea money but its their country not ours.

In the beginning was the word and the word was "In" :ThumbUp6:

Well that method as always been exceedingly popular in the UK alas - sham marriages and also the fake Language schools as well

Wow! That really screws the visa run companies.

They need to charter airplanes now, eh?

They need to charter airplanes now, eh?

Even the Visa run companies that arranged flights/hotel/visas in Penang, Malaysia won't survive the August 12, 2014 update to the new rules.

If this shit lasts that long.

Lets hope its just a rumour without any connection to the truth, because 30 days would most def. fuck up peoples agenda.

Jerry, time to work out arrangement with someone on sharing an apt in PP, alternating 30 day shares, eh?

Will you be leaving Thailand on a tourist visa or a visa exemption?

I would always be leaving on a tourist visa. But I've seen people turned away from the consulate in Vientiane before and they've had to return to Thailand on an exemption stamp.

I take your point and understand the principle of shifting sands but mate they will give you a multiple entry visa at the Thai Embassy in London without batting an eyelid - if your passport is full of single entry stamps just get new one.

If your on the ground there that's obviously useless advice though and I totally understand what your saying about tea money but its their country not ours.

My comment about tea money was a statement about how things are, rather than a criticism. It's the way things are done in TLOS and it's up to us to adapt and deal with it.

Like you, if I want to stay more than 30 days I can get a visa from the consulate. If I want to make a few trips in a year, I can get a multiple or multiples without problem. If I decide to live there for a while (if only :-) then I can get an O/A as I'm an old fart now.

I was just making the point, as you also said, that this could be a problem for those now in Thailand especially as some consulates in the area (eg Vientiane) have been known to refuse visas seemingly on a whim!

I think we basically agree. We just came at it from different angles!

Sorry guys but I really cant see what the issue is - just get a multiple entry visa before you travel to LOS - they are not THAT expensive.

All the"Ah but what ifs" and the "Maybe if I"s are eliminated by doing something so utterly simple.

The Thais want to crack down on foreign criminals, vagabonds and illegal workers not genuine tourists, legitimate workers with a work permit or people on a retirement visa.

The language school study visa used by many to obfuscate the legal requirements live in LOS, mostly to stop people staying and illegally working rather than actually studying. has been clamped down on so why not this ?

Spoken like a person not staying here, am I correct?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Daryle

so the longest I foresee being able to stay in Thailand in the next couple of years is 3 months, and I can get a 3 month tourist visa, yes?

If the rules for US passport holders are the same as UK, get a tourist visa in the nearest Thai Embassy or Consulate to you that gives you 60 days. This can be extended for a further 30 days in Thailand for a fee. Entry must be within 90 days of getting the visa.

Alternately, get a double entry tourist visa and pop over the border after 60 days to get a further 60 days. This can also be extended for 30 days if you want to stay longer.

Which is kind of the point of the new rules. Thailand wants long stay people on proper visas.

My belief is that the thai gov sees long stay "tourists" as not contributing much to the economy, when the ones with money that do contribute can easily get a retirement or investor's visa.

Not saying I think it's right or wrong! Just that I believe that's how it is.

I wish there was an easier way to stay long term in Thailand. In Panama, I had to fly out for three days, every two months! Luckily I had good money, and the people I worked for paid for it anyway. I'd go to new places in Central or South America every two months, and they wouldn't care if I stayed 5 days, instead of the required 3.

I'm 99% sure I'll be moving to Thailand on a retirement visa, so it won't be an issue for me. However, if I can't for some reason, I'll fly over to the Philippines for a week, party there, reconnect with old friends, then come back.

My comment about tea money was a statement about how things are, rather than a criticism. It's the way things are done in TLOS and it's up to us to adapt and deal with it.

Like you, if I want to stay more than 30 days I can get a visa from the consulate. If I want to make a few trips in a year, I can get a multiple or multiples without problem. If I decide to live there for a while (if only :-) then I can get an O/A as I'm an old fart now.

I was just making the point, as you also said, that this could be a problem for those now in Thailand especially as some consulates in the area (eg Vientiane) have been known to refuse visas seemingly on a whim!

I think we basically agree. We just came at it from different angles!

If I came across with a negativity is was certainly not meant

Jerry, time to work out arrangement with someone on sharing an apt in PP, alternating 30 day shares, eh?

30 days would work out fine for me .... you're interested ... 555 .

Seems to me there are a lot of posts by people with Visas who are unaffected....................

........whilst a lot of Visa dodging, border running dodgies who will be affected are keeping quiet.   :hello09:

No problem Beerburgerbonk. Just thought you thought I was being negative, maybe :-)

Problem with having text conversations with people you don't know. My tongue in check comments in other posts have probably been taken the wrong way by some people! I do have a rather dry sense of humour.

I'd let you buy me a beer in Pattaya anytime.

Damn. Quote button not working again nor post button. Can only post by going into extra options screen!

image.jpg

Seems to me there are a lot of posts by people with Visas who are unaffected....................<br /><br />........whilst a lot of Visa dodging, border running dodgies who will be affected are keeping quiet. :hello09:

<br /><br />The people most impacted, I think, are the ones that don't think ahead, live for the moment types... Who basically extend their holiday as much as possible.... <br /><br />Will affect other types too... Remember speaking to some English teachers on one visa run... Their school did not 'officially' employ them for the first month or so, therefore had to rely on short term Visa extensions... One guy showed me his passport laughing at the amount of stamps...<br /><br />Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk<br /><br />

Yes but when I do I stay legally within the boundaries of Thai law - is that wrong ?

Perhaps that's a tad harsh but its true - I came back in March having spent just under 6 months in LOS on a multiple entry visa and when I return later this month it will be on another multiple entry one, I may even change to a retirement visa, again its one I'm entitled to under Thai law as I fall within the criteria.

Is there something wrong with adhering to a countries laws ? or are they perhaps just inconvenient ?

I'm really not having a go but just am saying it how it is - this is not anyone's country other than the Thais and if they cant make their own rules in their own country - well something,s seriously wrong isn't it ?

No problem Beerburgerbonk. Just thought you thought I was being negative, maybe :-)

Problem with having text conversations with people you don't know. My tongue in check comments in other posts have probably been taken the wrong way by some people! I do have a rather dry sense of humour.

I'd let you buy me a beer in Pattaya anytime.

Damn. Quote button not working again nor post button. Can only post by going into extra options screen!

Sweet :GoldenSmile1:

Yes but when I do I stay legally within the boundaries of Thai law - is that wrong ?

Perhaps that's a tad harsh but its true - I came back in March having spent just under 6 months in LOS on a multiple entry visa and when I return later this month it will be on another multiple entry one, I may even change to a retirement visa, again its one I'm entitled to under Thai law as I fall within the criteria.

Is there something wrong with adhering to a countries laws ? or are they perhaps just inconvenient ?

I'm really not having a go but just am saying it how it is - this is not anyone's country other than the Thais and if they cant make their own rules in their own country - well something,s seriously wrong isn't it ?

My point was it doesn't impact you, hence why your flippant comment. If you cant see the potential impact for others just read some more!

It doesn't impact me either as I have resources and I'm not eligible for a retirement visa for another decade unlike you, but I'm happy to change the scenery when required.

Daryle

My point was it doesn't impact you, hence why your flippant comment. If you cant see the potential impact for others just read some more! It doesn't impact me either as I have resources and I'm not eligible for a retirement visa for another decade unlike you, but I'm happy to change the scenery when required. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've read all the posts on this topic and I really don't think that any of my remarks could be deemed as flippant - factual yes - but flippant no.

If any of them have come across to you, as a person who is also totally unaffected by Thais deciding on Thai laws regarding visa requirements in their own country for foreign nationals, it was unintentional.

I must though point out my own feelings if the same type of situation was transposed to our own country's .

"Its not fair they wont let me stay there to work illegally or break their visa laws" - I would have less than zero sympathy - honestly would any of us ?

Again I'm not being flippant merely factual - come to my country and both respect and abide by our laws, why should any other country be different ?

30 days would work out fine for me .... you're interested ... 555 .

sure, does Yanni come with the apt?   555!

Archived