IGNORED

Tough New Policy for Visa Runs

Scumbag

Well, you guys know a hell of a lot more about Thailand than I do, but it all smells the same to me. The Thai Visa notice, the Phuket crackdown, and the Russian article above all mention excessive back to back visa runs. With a 30 day exemption and two visa runs you get 90 days, which is what the rules say. Even the articles claim an 3 visa run rule, which would be 120 days assuming a 30 day stamp, unless they are counting initial entry as one. They all seem to imply that you can do it a couple of times, but too many breaks the rules, and that is what it says on their website. I have been unable to find any other reference in the Thai immigration pages other than that. 

I will sit back and watch how this plays out as it is interesting.

I think the manner in which the Thais deal with this issue confuses things for many people. The situation in Phuket (including the Russian) appears to be the result of a local policy change where this is national approach.

Likewise this idea of being able to stay 90 days in 180 days on the visa waiver stays is also confusing. It was true for a while but hasn't been enforced for years. We shouldn't even be discussing it but it appears that the policy is still detailed in some places. I believe this was never a rule but a policy. For sure this new policy replaces that one

This new policy and the older 90 days in 180 days are based on the requirements for the visa waiver program. The program allows stays in Thailand with no visa for 'tourism purposes'. It is not meant for someone to reside in Thailand. Many people have been doing just that and that is what they are targeting.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You forgot to quote me on" Visa Exemption" But I am sure you will take credit somewhere along the lines for it!

WTF are you on about?

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

I wonder if this will affect the many Lao citizens with passports who currently get a 30-day stamp at the border and can do monthly border runs to stay in Thailand indefinitely. It must be obvious that most of them are working illegally, but I've never heard of them being refused a 30-day stamp. I believe the arrangement is reciprocal for Thais (with passports) entering Laos.

Currently Lao citizens are only entitled to a 15 day visa exemption sames as Australian citizens!

http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/vientiane/en/consular/consular_check/

This crackdown is yet another brilliant bit of wisdom from the Thai authorities at a time when the country has seen a decline in tourist numbers due to the current political turmoil, which is likely to get much worse in the coming months. Just in time, perhaps, to deter more tourists from coming at the start of the high season.

Whether this is targeted at long term ex-pats living on the cheap or not, I would have thought the Thais should somehow looking to stimulate tourism not stymie it. A classic example of biting the hand that feeds you. The words Thai and logic shouldn`t be in the same sentence!

Some of the upper class Thais think that having too many Falahng illegally working in the LOS is causing problems, and this is a pretty good solution, if they really enforce it.

up to you

Currently Lao citizens are only entitled to a 15 day visa exemption sames as Australian citizens!

http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/vientiane/en/consular/consular_check/

No. Lao citizens with a passport get visa-free entry to Thailand and can stay for 30 days. My Lao girlfriend has been doing this for 5 years without incident, other then getting through passports at a rapid rate!

I think the manner in which the Thais deal with this issue confuses things for many people. The situation in Phuket (including the Russian) appears to be the result of a local policy change where this is national approach.

Likewise this idea of being able to stay 90 days in 180 days on the visa waiver stays is also confusing. It was true for a while but hasn't been enforced for years. We shouldn't even be discussing it but it appears that the policy is still detailed in some places. I believe this was never a rule but a policy. For sure this new policy replaces that one

This new policy and the older 90 days in 180 days are based on the requirements for the visa waiver program. The program allows stays in Thailand with no visa for 'tourism purposes'. It is not meant for someone to reside in Thailand. Many people have been doing just that and that is what they are targeting.

Before 1995 many nationalities got 15 days non visa entry then it was changed to 30 days . In about 2006 due mainly to concerns about criminals and illegal workers doing border rums a 90 days in 180 days stay limit for non visa entry was introduced . It was discontinued after about 6 months as it was too difficult to administer and it was replaced by a simpler system of only giving 15 days at land borders 

Now that's been relaxed again by G7 passport holders being exempted from the 15 days limit at land borders . its not clear what the reasons are for only extending it to G7 countries. NOTE - Some embassy and consular websites have not been updated and still have the old rules.

Right... if i fly into Thailand from the UK and fill one of them 30 days visa forms they hand out on the flight.

and i stay in Thailand for say 28 days on holidays then i fly back home to the UK.

How long must i wait to fly back into Thailand on a 30 day visa ?

Dayo...

No. Lao citizens with a passport get visa-free entry to Thailand and can stay for 30 days. My Lao girlfriend has been doing this for 5 years without incident, other then getting through passports at a rapid rate!

Don't shoot the messenger!

post-82617-0-41284400-1399901382_thumb.png

Right... if i fly into Thailand from the UK and fill one of them 30 days visa forms they hand out on the flight.

and i stay in Thailand for say 28 days on holidays then i fly back home to the UK.

Currently you don't have to wait at all.

That might change after the Thais meet again on 12 August about Immigration policies, but for now no worries if you are flying in with a round trip ticket and adequate funds for your stay. 

That is THE question and no one seems to know as yet. Announcement meant to be made before they bring in 'new' policy at airports (whatever it may be) on August 12.

If there's a problem for regular tourists then we'll probably meet some BM's at the Thai Consulate in Cardiff. :-)

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

The information that you post confirms what Brewster posted i.e. Lao citizen can use the visa waiver exemption program. I know that Malaysians can get 30 days stays at immigration points on the Malaysian border so it's likely that people from Lao can do the same on their border. The information that you posted earlier is targeted at other nationalities.

attachicon.giflaos.PNG

I don't know where your link is from but it's wrong. As I've said, I know many Lao citizens who do regular border runs to Cambodia from Pattaya and get stamped into Thailand for 30 days.

Citizens of Laos are permitted to stay up to 30 days under the Bilateral Agreement with Thailand if entering via international airport or through a land border checkpoint from the 2 other neighboring countries, e.g., Myanmar and Cambodia.

http://laos.siam-legal.com/

And, as always, Wiki is your friend...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_requirements_for_Laotian_citizens

Are you for real?

I don't know where your link is from but it's wrong. As I've said, I know many Lao citizens who do regular border runs to Cambodia from Pattaya and get stamped into Thailand for 30 days.

Citizens of Laos are permitted to stay up to 30 days under the Bilateral Agreement with Thailand if entering via international airport or through a land border checkpoint from the 2 other neighboring countries, e.g., Myanmar and Cambodia.

http://laos.siam-legal.com/

And, as always, Wiki is your friend...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_requirements_for_Laotian_citizens

http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/vientiane/en/consular/consular_check/  straight to the horses mouth, which has been down for 3 days!

Are you for real?

He means visa waiver rather than visa, but otherwise a perfectly reasonable question!

If someone is travelling to TLOS several times a year will they be caught out by the new policy, even if it isn't really aimed at them.

If someone arrives at Swampy for the 4th time in 8 or 9 months will they be given the visa waiver stamp or will they have to start getting a visa before travelling?

This isn't clear as yet but it's a question that needs answering at some point!

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

Are you for real?

i would say it was a fair question, seeing how things might change and as some of the more experienced on here say it is an unknown quantity till the announcement on the 12th.

Unless you know what the announcement will be.

The information that you post confirms what Brewster posted i.e. Lao citizen can use the visa waiver exemption program. I know that Malaysians can get 30 days stays at immigration points on the Malaysian border so it's likely that people from Lao can do the same on their border. The information that you posted earlier is targeted at other nationalities.

How does that confirm what Brewster posted?  So it is likely!

How does that confirm what Brewster posted?  So it is likely!

You need to read into the subject a bit deeper than you have been. The 15 days at land crossings is not put in place to stop people from neigbouring countries from utilising what has been granted to them. I will repost what Brewster posted:

As I pointed out the same is true for Malaysia.

As far as Thai immigration goes the experience of people crossing the boarder trumps anything that is posted on ANY website. That is why I am always doubtful of any information until people start reporting experiences.

You need to read into the subject a bit deeper than you have been. The 15 days at land crossings is not put in place to stop people from neigbouring countries from utilising what has been granted to them. I will repost what Brewster posted:

As I pointed out the same is true for Malaysia.

As far as Thai immigration goes the experience of people crossing the boarder trumps anything that is posted on ANY website. That is why I am always doubtful of any information until people start reporting experiences.

And more  NEW  latest confusion ;

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/725610-thailand-visa-crackdown-banning-walk-in-visa-runs-to-begin-august-13/#entry7813037

Non native English writing poster, not using a spell checker !! 

That is just what I would like to know, I was supposed to be getting a condo next month for a year, will be making a trip to Thailand every other month, for 26 days, but also fly out and back in that time to visit other countries, using thailand as a base for travelling and just chilling out was the plan, I'm not so sure now what to do now  ;(

Get a multi entry visa from your embassy for you travel,more expensive , but that's what they are wanting everybody to do,

Archived