IGNORED

Tough New Policy for Visa Runs

Scumbag

Looks like there is a new round of a new policies for those staying in Thailand on non-visa stays (ie 30 or 15 day stays). It is already being enforced with promises of further restrictions in August.

This does not affect anyone who has a visa.

From Thai Visa

Final crackdown for border runners - New strict Immigration regulation in force from today

BANGKOK: -- From today, foreign nationals residing in Thailand will no longer be able to exit and then re-enter the kingdom via a land border crossing in order to gain another 30 or 15 day stay in Thailand.

Thaivisa has been in contact with the Immigration Bureau who confirm the new regulation starts from today Saturday May 10, 2014.

This latest news follows reports from earlier in the week of  an Immigration crackdown at the  land border checkpoint in Ranong.

Non-Immigrant Visa or Tourist visa holders with remaining entries on their visa can exit and enter Thailand as before.

However, these new measures are targeting foreign visitors without a visa who are regularly entering and exiting the kingdom every 15 or 30 days as a way of extending their stay in Thailand.

From today visitors can only enter into Thailand via a land border once, after that they will be refused entry to the Kingdom and are advised to fly out and return with a visa obtained from a Royal Thai Embassy or Consulate in a neighbouring country or overseas.

The Immigration Bureau has also confirmed to Thaivisa.com that further restrictions are to be enforced from August 12, 2014.

It is understood that the new regulation is to prohibit back-to-back border runners who stay for an extended time in the country without a proper visa from a Consulate or Embassy abroad or an extension of stay granted by the Immigration Bureau in Thailand.

With regards to the new restrictions on land border crossing, which as mentioned above are effective as of today, a number of Thaivisa members have confirmed to us that these restrictions are being enforced at the Mae Sai border crossing in Chiang Rai province, with some members commenting they are stranded at the border unable to enter Thailand.

The reports from Mae Sai have also been confirmed to us by Khun Tony, Managing Director of Puchlee Travel Company in Chiang Mai, who is a minibus service operator from Chiang Mai to the Mae Sai border.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've only read about the Phuket border crossing getting more difficult. http://www.thephuketnews.com/immigration-clarifies-phuket-visa-run-%E2%80%98crackdown%E2%80%99-46155.php

Yes, but this in addition to that and not specific to the one boarder crossing. The text mentions that situation but indicates that this is the policy at all land crossings. TV are reporting that some of their members are stranded outside of Thailand after doing border runs today.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

Wow! That really screws the visa run companies.

So now what ? :(

Get a Visa or presumably fly back in for 30 days visa waiver ( Edit - only until 12th Aug 2014 - presumably for back to backers ???)..............

.............or go home?   :Circle_Sharks:

following this with great interest, thank you for the update.

I have a feeling this won't last.

I've lost count of the number of knee-jerk decisions Thai authorities have made over the years and then backed off when it's pointed out how much damage those decisions were causing.

This clearly wasn't thought through, but that's not really surprising. 

I used to go on those visa runs and I can't imagine what it would have been like to get refused re-entry. Those guys stuck at the border today probably have stuff in their hotels/condos like clothes, computers, cash, etc. Probably a few with motorcycles. What a friggin' nightmare.

The Immigration Bureau has also confirmed to Thaivisa.com that further restrictions are to be enforced from August 12, 2014.

It would appear that this will be to restrict, "out - in" flights. That being;  flying to say Singapore and getting a return flight so as to enter on a 30 day permit issued on arrival. It would appear that if immigration are of the opinion that was the purpose of your back to back flights you will be refused the 30 day on entry permit.

It is true that such policies are introduced and sometimes after a while not enforced, the question is always how long is awhile ? Those on retirement visas, marriage visas, multi-entry O and B visas, valid education visas or 3/6 month visitors will not be affected, this time.

I can feel a  30 day 1000 Baht tourist visa coming on!  Just like Cambodia!

I got 40-Days coming up in Thailand, was gonna do van border run to Cambo on day 28 get 15-Day extenstion and be all goos. This says one land border crossing is ok but will there still be service providers? What would be the point of them being in business for the one-off guys like me, think its probably not economically viable. So now I guess will try the Thai embassy in Tokyo or do a trip to AC for a few days, both scenarios I was trying to avoid. Fuck I hope this gets more clear/stable come August

There was discussion about that not long ago..mmmm

I got 40-Days coming up in Thailand, was gonna do van border run to Cambo on day 28 get 15-Day extenstion and be all goos. This says one land border crossing is ok but will there still be service providers? What would be the point of them being in business for the one-off guys like me, think its probably not economically viable. So now I guess will try the Thai embassy in Tokyo or do a trip to AC for a few days, both scenarios I was trying to avoid. Fuck I hope this gets more clear/stable come August

A tourist visa would be the best option. You may be able to apply by post.

Yep would not surprise me

Would raise a lot of cash for the Thai government without a lot of work

Go get a multi visa to get around this if on a tourist visa or have a few days in PP

I have a feeling this won't last.

I've lost count of the number of knee-jerk decisions Thai authorities have made over the years and then backed off when it's pointed out how much damage those decisions were causing.

This clearly wasn't thought through, but that's not really surprising. 

What "damage" will the regulations cause?  

From TV

attachicon.gifTV.PNG

So reading that it appears that after 12 August anybody who does a border run will be refused entry whether they have done one before or not. Until then people will have one warning before they are refused entry.

So reading that it appears that after 12 August anybody who does a border run will be refused entry whether they have done one before or not. Until then people will have one warning before they are refused entry.

I interrupt that as one warning at the airport until the 12 August and at land borders now.  Maybe the title of this thread should be changed as it is for the 15/30 visa exemption. 

Maybe the title of this thread should be changed as it is for the 15/30 visa exemption. 

I thought about that but it would make the title too long.

Maybe, but the free visa on arrival is actually is positive for the tourism. It will also mean that all countries that have the free visa exchange with Thailand would made it mandatory for Thais to apply and pay for a Visa when they travel to them, so this would bite them in the ass. No country would ever let it be onesided , and the so called "easy money" could actually be a loss overall, when put alltogeher. 

Wondering after August 12th how long you have to stay outside of Thailand after your last exit to be able to fly back in

to Thailand on a visa waiver again . What will be considered 'back to back' visas , 3 days , one week , one month ... ?

How many holidays are you allowed to have in Thailand in one year on visa waivers ... 3, 5, 7 ... ?

Wondering after August 12th how long you have to stay outside of Thailand after your last exit to be able to fly back in

to Thailand on a visa waiver again . What will be considered 'back to back' visas , 3 days , one week , one month ... ?

How many holidays are you allowed to have in Thailand in one year on visa waivers ... 3, 5, 7 ... ?

Will the airlines have to police this, like the onward ticket without a visa?  Immigration could make them fly you back!

A 1000 Baht Visa, as for Cambodia, would seem to be the obvious solution and it wouldn't put many people off.

Presumably they could still made exceptions for some nationals?

Will the airlines have to police this, like the onward ticket without a visa?  Immigration could make them fly you back!

I think without further clarification from Immigration to cover the airlines they won't let you board from 12th August without a Visa.

Archived