IGNORED

England Australia Ashes 2019

mikeyboy

Steve Smith's performance in this series deserves to go down in history. And we are only 2 test matches in. The dumb pricks booing him can tell their grandkids one day that they were lucky enough to see the great man batting in this series, I wonder if they will tell them that all they did was to boo him.

I remember my father being proud that he got to see Don Bradman walk out to bat in a test match, even though it was a rare occasion when The Don got out cheaply. 

Any idiot who pays good money to go to a sports event and disrespect the millionaires whose pockets they are helping to fill is a twat. Aussies included. 

Would love to see him get a double ton and really rub those fans' noses in it. If the Aussies win the series from here it will be the sweetest victory imaginable. 

All respect to the Pommy test team. They are showing a lot of pride. I would not be at all surprised if they bounce right back and dominate the rest of the series. 

• Like 3

Posts still being hidden and Jennys Room is getting crowded. Unless you have something positive to contribute do not post.

image.png

To try once again to keep the thread on track:

Things got way out of hand over the last couple of days, some people got carried away and some posts were quite unpleasant in the end. If you’re coming to the thread now, you won’t see them as they’ve been removed.

As a result, Mods are having to keep a lid on even some of the usual ‘banter’ as it’s still getting one or two BMs worked up.

PLEASE stick to discussing the actual cricket and avoid hurling insults or making snide remarks - whether you think it’s just a joke or not.

Frankly, it’s a PITA having to dole out warnings or using Jenny’s because some people just ignore Mods who are trying to keep the thread from getting OTT again.

Thanks

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

Steve Smith has been ruled out of the third Ashes Test at Headingley.

England have named an unchanged 12.

• Sad 1

35 minutes ago, davidge said:

Mmmm sad for Steve.  I do hope he’s ok for the next one.  

The bright side is that the other batsmen will step up now that their failsafe crutch has been whipped out from under them.  Also think the pitch will favour stark, I’d even consider bringing back Johnson :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, davidge said:

Tough on Smith and Australia .   The substitute must play at Leeds as he's scored more runs in one innings than Warner and Bancroft in 2 tests between them .    Jason Roy has another chance to show he's hopeless at red ball cricket , although he might get lucky once if they give him enough goes at it . :Surrender1:

Not sure which top order batting line up is more fragile , both sides bowling looks fine .  England must not over bowl Archer , and Leach deserves an extended run .

Mikeyboy

Weather forecast for Headingley is good for the 3rd  test , dry but mainly overcast for the first couple of days .

Winning the toss and a tricky decision will have to be made , similar to Edgbaston when the ball may do plenty first up . 

Could go along the lines of a good toss to lose.

Bookies make England strong favourites to win the match , i don't know why .

Mikeyboy

Edited by mikeyboy

30 minutes ago, mikeyboy said:

Could go along the lines of a good toss to lose.

Bookies make England strong favourites to win the match , i don't know why .

Mikeyboy

Our bookies are the same OZ is about 5 - 2

Agree about the toss. Unless it is a green top hope we bite the bullet & bat first if we win the toss. Think Root may send us in anyway. Word is Harris is in & Bancroft out. Not sure bowling lineup but I would have Starc Pattison & Cummings.

Still think Root will over bowl Archer & he will breakdown. Back to back is hard enough for a seasoned bowler but he is virtually a virgin.

Can't wait:25:

www.sugarcanemafia.com

I’ve read Harris for Bancroft likely as well. Also, maybe Pattison for Siddle.

Can’t believe Starc hasn’t played yet. 

Since 2008 England have lost five out of nine tests played at Headingley, easily our worst home venue in that time. 

England win toss and bowl.

same team for us. Australia bring in Harris and pattinson.

1 hour ago, jollygumpster said:

It’s raining, toss delayed.

Started 70 minutes late , i guess the drizzle in Leeds passes for good weather up there !

Warner and Harris in the middle   Broad with the new cherry 

Mikeyboy

• Haha 1

Today should certainly offer the best bowling conditions - if they can stay out there!

Forecast is hot & sunny on Saturday & Sunday so guess there’s a chance the pitch on Monday will suit spin - if it gets that far.

England need to try to keep Australia well under 250 I think.

root's decision to bowl not looking too clever now,  the clouds have gone and runs coming easily. 

some crap bowling but its still doing something on the rare occasion the ball is put in the right place. 

Edited by jollygumpster

7 down makes it England’s day - despite the Glamorgan batsman’s efforts.

Need to finish off now and then bat well.

thank you england, i like to be wrong, wrong, wrong.

the change bowlers were shit, going for over 70  in 12 overs but this is now a good day for england.

That’s why Test cricket is still by far the best form of the game. It can swing one way and then the other in a short time. Batsmen can grind it out, fielding side can slowly apply pressure. Great!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

yes, test match cricket, especially with the contest between genuinely fast bowlers and batsmen, is just about the greatest theatre sport has to offer, imo.

i am not convinced by the technology there at all.

labuschagne must be in for the rest of the series even if smith comes back, wade has done feck all.

pmsl, i hexed him brilliantly there.

not quite the ball of the century.

well played anyway.

That was quite a day’s test cricket. 

Now England need to bat well tomorrow.

OZ need to restrict England to no more than 280 to have any hope as there will be no draw in this one. 

• Like 1

www.sugarcanemafia.com

38 minutes ago, froddo said:

OZ need to restrict England to no more than 280 to have any hope as there will be no draw in this one. 

England  very capable of messing this one up  , time and again the bowlers do well only for the batters to throw it all away .

Archer superb , but Root must be careful with his work load .  

This game is still very much open . 

Mikeyboy

• Like 1