IGNORED

England Australia Ashes 2019

mikeyboy

Steve Smith. Statistically the best player since Bradman. He might need to win this series on his own. What is the record for the most centuries by a single batsman in an ashes series? That must be under threat!

Half empty stands at Fortress Edgbaston rats and sinking ships springs to mind.

• Haha 2

Wooohooo oi oi oi.     Easy catch for Lyon off Cummins.  It’s started.

Edited by keepitfun
  • Haha 1

85 - 4 at lunch with not much fight, featuring a pathetic brain fade from roy and good bowling from australia.

the fortress has crumbled one -nil coming up 

• Haha 1

Merged two threads.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

Someone has edited the Umpire’s Wikipedia page:

AB2AB08D-CD49-4086-9D7B-0C8E5F1B4280.jpeg

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

Well done Steve Smith , dragged Australia off the floor in the first innings and really turned the screws in the second .

In the end 250 runs is a massive winning  margin

Doesn't disguise the fact that Australia have as many problems as England  in their lineup .   Should make for an up and down series .

Expect England to bring in Leach and Archer  for  Ali and Anderson  .   Bairstow appears to still be in ODI mode and Foakes should play but i dont think they will change keeper .    Jason Roy is not a test opener all the time he has a hole in his arse , and was a desperate pick .

All in all a horrible loss for England who have to find a way to dismiss Smith , but easier said than done !

Mikeyboy

• Like 3

1 nil up great start but still 4 hard tests to go so i'm not crowing yet but england losing anderson has built up my hopes.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the weather is going to have a big part pity bloody english summer 555

On 14/08/2019 at 10:03, stubby said:

Looks like the weather is going to have a big part pity bloody english summer 555

Yes , looks like today they will get the morning session in and that's about it if the forecast is right . 

Saturday and Sunday look much better so maybe a chance for a result .

Mikeyboy

Can not see any play after 12am. It’s rain all day and it’s pissing down here now 09am

Morning session only play possible today        Aus  80/4  will just be under a bit of pressure first thing Saturday morning , but with only 2 days left ,  draw most likely result .

Mikeyboy

• Like 1

I think a definite draw. I am sorry to say but new Zealand vs srilanka test is much more interesting to watch than ashes 2nd test. 

Not much backbone in this England team, this could easily go completely and utterly tits up, currently 18/2.

4 hours ago, jollygumpster said:

Not much backbone in this England team, this could easily go completely and utterly tits up, currently 18/2.

Have to say the batting on both teams doesn't stand up to the bowling attacks ( Steve Smith excluded )   meaning it will  be an up and down series.

Too much limited overs stuff eroding batting techniques ??

Mikeyboy

What a session that was in the afternoon, Archer tearing in and putting real fear into the aussies. Shame Smith got hit, it was a great battle until that point and first time he has looked rattled this tour. Good to hear he will be back out on the field tomorrow, he'll know whats coming though when he comes out to bat, get ready to duck a bit quicker!

• Like 1

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png                                                                                      

In the first innings, I saw a bloke called Denley come in at number 4. He had an average of 21 point something.  Really, a four who averages 21?  Both Pommy openers are not up to scratch for test cricket... Roy is a beast in the ODI's, but at test level is all at sea.  Sure Burns scored a ton in the first test, but it was messy with numerous chances including an LBW not given and not reviewed early on in his innings... Root can't buy a run.

The top order of Australia, except for Smith, are not much better. None of them are firing...

The Poms tried a bit of short stuff, and it worked... but at what cost?  Archer will want a very sturdy helmet if he gets to bat. Bowl short at Broad and he goes to water as well... I think Cummins, Hazelwood will intimidate these blokes, and if Langer had any sense he would pick Starc for the next 3 tests.

So, we head into the final day.... most likely a draw coming up, but you never know.  England a 4/90 odd. Lead by about 100.  But I think if the Aussies snare a couple early, England will be 6, for which in reality will be 6 out, all out. I don't think they will make the mistake of pitching up to the last 4. I hope our fast bowlers pitch short of a length  and let these blokes know they are there.. then hopefully, the GOAT will pick them off from the other end..

Should be fun!!

• Like 1

Great fun watching real test cricket. Looks like a draw but England will have to bat well & OZ must take their chances to have a chance of going 2 - 0

www.sugarcanemafia.com

2 hours ago, dave01 said:

The top order of Australia, except for Smith, are not much better. None of them are firing..

I think this an understatement, our (Aussie) Top Order has so far proved almost useless in test cricket. There was so much build up via the World Cup that we seem to have just picked who performed well in the short form and ignored the fact the 5 day game is a very different beast. 

Warner is possibly one of the best one day openers but he’s proving form in one format does not necessarily translate to form in another. 

I hate to think where we’d be without Smith. 

• Like 2

Thought is was a very low act form the English supporters booing Smith when he can back on after his injury. Very low.

:ThumbDown1:

• Like 3