Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

England Australia Ashes 2019

mikeyboy

Main event of the cricket summer for me ,   Ashes Test Series    England Australia  starting at Edgbaston 1 st August .

Two closely matched teams , should make for a good series weather permitting  .

Captain Root and Captain Paine both looking for a fast start , who will blink first ?

Hoping all the players behave themselves also  :)

Let the games begin .

Mikeyboy

• Like 2

Looking forward to it. After Aussie women dominated the Pommy girls hope we can make it a double

Was lucky enough to be Edgbaston for the last 2 days of the 2005 test. and hope this one is as good

• Like 2

www.sugarcanemafia.com

Two teams with lots of batting problems. I fear all the pantomime booing of the sandpaper trio will help motivate them, two of them are proven performers and Bancroft has done well over here in his county spell.  The rest of the Aussie batsmen dont seem nearly as good to me. We are often 30-3 but the lower order gets us out the poo poo. I am not so sure they will this time as I think the Aussie bowling is strong. That said we tend to do well at home.  Unless the weather intervenes there probably arent going to be many draws.

I am normally a glass half full person but this time I will go for the Glenn McGrath type approach so will pick 8 0 to England :D . Okay 3 2 to England, come on boys.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, mikeyboy said:

should make for a good series weather permitting  .

Yeah this, going to be a factor for sure starting today / tonight. 

England win a weird 1st hr. Think Ussie looks comfortable. 

www.sugarcanemafia.com

The Australian batting has been so bad it’s even made the umpires look good. :rolleyes:

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

24 minutes ago, davidge said:

The Australian batting has been so bad it’s even made the umpires look good. :rolleyes:

Peter Siddle is a fierce competitor , showing some of his team mates how to bat .  I'm pleased England rate him more than Australia seem to , as he doesn't seem to play many test matches .    Big call by Australia to leave out Starc and Hazelwood .  

Mikeyboy

• Like 1

Smith leads a recovery with a remarkable innings. Brilliant batsman.

Great days cricket all round. Sets up the series

www.sugarcanemafia.com

11 hours ago, froddo said:

Great days cricket all round. Sets up the series

Yes , brilliant cut and thrust first day , where would Australia be without Steve Smith  ?    Stuart Broad and Chris Woakes did well also

Umpires had a day to forget , lots of pressure on them.

Englands top four have to make runs , no good relying on Buttler Stokes and below baling them out .

• Like 1

Second day was just as good as the first i thought , although i'm biased .

More umpiring mistakes , and captains review mistakes as well , Pattinson not having the pace to knock the bails off (Joe Root )  :)

Australia bowled well but no luck at all .  They also made a mistake by only picking 4 front line bowlers , with the reserve wicket keeper bowling in front of Steve Smith ??     England need a good first innings lead as this pitch will be tough to bat on  4th 5th day .

Mikeyboy

That forgotten old man Siddle again....brilliant reflex caught and bowled.   He’s made many a critique eat humble pie already.

Looking forward to tonight.  

Great headline

The GOAT, his bunny and a duck: Lyon gets Moeen again

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

www.sugarcanemafia.com

5 hours ago, mikeyboy said:

Australia bowled well but no luck at all .  They also made a mistake by only picking 4 front line bowlers ,

People keep saying this but if you look back at the good sides they tended to pick 4 front line bowlers & a part timer unless you had a Flintoff Sobers Miller & the South African whose name escapes me who could do anything. What you see below is the Ashes bowling 17/18.
Aust basically had the same 4 bowlers with J Bird playing one as a replacement for a injured player & M Marsh playing as an allrounder taking  0 wkts & scoring as many runs.

Great game poised at lunch

Most wickets
Player Mat Inns Overs Mdns Runs Wkts BBI BBM Ave Econ SR 5 10
PJ Cummins (AUS) 5 9 197.1 43 567 23 4/39 8/119 24.65 2.87 51.4 0 0
MA Starc (AUS) 4 8 162.3 32 518 22 5/88 8/137 23.54 3.18 44.3 1 0
JR Hazlewood (AUS) 5 9 190.5 49 544 21 5/48 8/140 25.90 2.85 54.5 1 0
NM Lyon (AUS) 5 9 260.1 61 614 21 4/60 6/105 29.23 2.36 74.3 0 0
JM Anderson (ENG) 5 8 223.3 70 473 17 5/43 6/117 27.82 2.11 78.8 1 0
SCJ Broad (ENG) 5 8 195.0 55 525 11 4/51 5/95 47.72 2.69 106.3 0 0
CR Woakes (ENG) 4 7 167.0 32 495 10 4/36 5/120 49.50 2.96 100.2 0 0
C Overton (ENG) 2 3 59.0 4 226 6 3/105 4/116 37.66 3.83 59.0 0 0
MM Ali (ENG) 5 8 169.2 27 575 5 2/74 2/97 115.00 3.39 203.2 0 0
JE Root (ENG) 5 6 28.3 6 78 2 1/1 1/1 39.00 2.73 85.5 0 0
TK Curran (ENG) 2 3 66.0 14 200 2 1/65 1/82 100.00 3.03 198.0 0 0
JT Ball (ENG) 1 2 26.0 4 115 1 1/77 1/115 115.00 4.42 156.0 0 0
MS Crane (ENG) 1 1 48.0 3 193 1 1/193 1/193 193.00 4.02 288.0 0 0
SPD Smith (AUS) 5 4 9.0 1 33 0 - - - 3.66 - 0 0
DJ Malan (ENG) 5 3 21.0 3 54 0 - - - 2.57 - 0 0
JM Bird (AUS) 1 1 30.0 5 108 0 - - - 3.60 - 0 0
MR Marsh (AUS) 3 5 32.0 4 132 0 - - - 4.12 - 0 0
Records includes the following current or recent matches:
Australia v England at Sydney, 5th Test, Jan 4-8, 2018 [Test # 2291]
Australia v England at Melbourne, 4th Test, Dec 26-30, 2017 [Test # 2289]
Australia v England at Perth, 3rd Test, Dec 14-18, 2017 [Test # 2288]

www.sugarcanemafia.com

8 hours ago, froddo said:

Great headline

The GOAT, his bunny and a duck: Lyon gets Moeen again

Nice ,  Moeen Ali is anyone's bunny or duck to be honest .

Well played Australia, from 120/8 to long odds on favourites to win.

It looks like it’s back to the bad old days, praying for rain to save England. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jollygumpster said:

Well played Australia, from 120/8 to long odds on favourites to win.

It looks like it’s back to the bad old days, praying for rain to save England. 

Brilliant turnaround by Australia led by Steve Smith ,   England will have to fight long and hard to save this match now , but the pitch was offering very little to the seamers all of today once the ball had gone soft .  Lyon will be a threat , and may well bowl half the overs on day 5 . 

Whatever the outcome its been a good test match

Mikeyboy

• Like 3

Tonight should be very interesting for all cricket fans with an attention span of more than two minutes. The supposed Fortress Edgebaston is likely to crumble, the hodoo seems gone and the crowd has had no effect. Tip Lyon to start turning them square and panic to set in. 

It's been pretty to watch... Other boards and groups have been giving it to the Aussies  for first 3 days of the test.. But today?  Crickets...

Had Paine decided to have an LBW review on Burns early on in the first innings, this test would have been done and dusted.

I never saw Bradman, but geez he must have been good to be better than Smith. His average says he was...

Looking forward to tonight... give it to the Poms, and watch 'em choke as Smith is named man of the match,, 555

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mikeyboy said:

Whatever the outcome its been a good test match

What he said.

Thought we should have declared at 360 ahead but guess Paine goes by the philosophy of kick the bastards when they're down. If Aussie don't bowl them out the talking point will be Starcs ommission. With the size of the lead he can set attacking fields. Smith to take 2 wickets:P

If Au

www.sugarcanemafia.com

Can,t wait for the pommie press to start on the need to change the Dukes balls again, change the preparation of the pitches, change the songs that the barmy army sing and anything else they can think of.  

• Haha 1

big turnaround day only 2 possible results now  from the 3 available with australian loss highly likely before day 4 started.

Ask a silly question and i'll leave a silly answer  

Would have been easier if you googled it yourself.    

Thanks spelling and grammar checkers for being a ?%6433%#E

Quote if you expect a reply.  

THE THING ABOUT COMMON SENSE IS THAT IT'S THAT NOT COMMON                                                                        

IT'S NOT ROCKET SURGERY       quote from Anna Nicole Smith.

I was lucky enough to be at Edgbaston in 2005 when England won by 2 runs. The last morning I was suffering with a bad hangover & retired to the bar for a pick me up. The Aussies needed something like 105 or there abouts to win with Lee & Warne at the wickets so 2 wickets left. The Barmy Army were going off.

I can tell you things got very quiet when the target got to 50 then Warnie trod on his wicket, cue the Balmy Army to fire up again. Things started to quieten down at 25 to go & at 24 Jones let 4 byes thru. Cue dead silence except for a band of Aussie supporters who were faithfully counting down the runs. Started the day "105 runs to go Parlei Vou 105 runs to go Parlei Vou"  & everyone laughed at 20 to go no one was laughing, well I was but I was half pissed by then.

This occurred after the London bombers & I think had England lost all the grief counserlors employed in London would have been needed in Birmingham

The funny thing is that when Kasper was given out by Billy technically he wasn't out as the hand that was struck was off the bat. It was the greatest match that I have ever attended

www.sugarcanemafia.com

its very tough to survive a whole day trying to save a test match for any team. england  has no experienced blockers and i doubt they have the mental ability to even try and attempt to play the kind of innings needed so i am back to being a doom and gloom merchant. it is the kind of scenario where one bad session and its all over and with this team a calypso collapso is never too far away. i hope we find a hero or eleven and that  i am wrong (as usual). 

i fear thunder and lightning in birmingham surely play must be abandoned for the day :D

sadly i didnt see any of yesterday's play but i did hear that smith is averaging 100 the last six years, that's a fecking sustained period of freakdom, he's probably already scored more runs than a few england  front line batsmen will get in the entire series.

let's hope we have an enthralling day's play and england, at the minimum, make the aussies work hard.

test match cricket still the number one for me.

• Like 4