IGNORED

Retirement Visa problem - New Rules

Billyboy294

20 minutes ago, usexpat46 said:

- - - -  if you departed and returned LOS at BKK every 12 weeks you would never have to do a 90 day report, thus you wouldn't have to show your bankbook until you renewed your retirement extension.

I would be careful - the presentation of the bank book is a condition of the granting of a visa for retirement purposes. It has not as far as I understand it  been tied to the obligation to notify the Immigration every 90 days of your presence. Combing the two is a matter of administrative convenience.  Clearly,  if you are not in Thailand for the 90 day report then that obligation is extinguished.   However your absence does not remove the obligation to comply with the condition of showing the bank book. It merely changes the date you have to comply. You would be expected to comply within a reasonable period. I will confront this situation in early June. I intend  to go to Jomtien the day after I return to Thailand.  

Hi. Just read here from someone that just pay 12,500 for renewal for a year.  I think I'm going to do that instead.

Less hassle.

3 hours ago, usexpat46 said:

So if one exits LOS 4 or more times a year and they are about 12 weeks apart then you would never have to show your bankbook except at the time you renew your retirement extension.

As I’ve said (more than once) it’s going to be 12 months before we know exactly how this is all going to be implemented.

As others have said, in your position I would be hot-footing it to Immigration with an updated bank book on the very first day back in Thailand after the 3 months is up.

• Like 2

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

Hi. Just read here from someone that just pay 12,500 for renewal for a year.  I think I'm going to do that instead.
Less hassle.
Let us know how it goes

2 hours ago, Jarrod2518 said:

I would be careful - the presentation of the bank book is a condition of the granting of a visa for retirement purposes. It has not as far as I understand it  been tied to the obligation to notify the Immigration every 90 days of your presence. Combing the two is a matter of administrative convenience.  Clearly,  if you are not in Thailand for the 90 day report then that obligation is extinguished.   However your absence does not remove the obligation to comply with the condition of showing the bank book. It merely changes the date you have to comply. You would be expected to comply within a reasonable period. I will confront this situation in early June. I intend  to go to Jomtien the day after I return to Thailand.  

I don't think I made myself clear. I never mentioned about being absent from LOS.  I'm talking about never being in LOS for 90 consecutive days.  I've gone to Immigration in the past based on  the 90 day report date that is stamped on the "receipt of notification" that they staple to your passport.  However since I flew out of LOS and then flew back a couple weeks later that 90 day report day resets to a new 90 day date from the date on the new entry stamp. Last year I went to Jomtien Immigration based on the date on the receipt of notification to do my 90 day report only to be told by the Thai lady that work that station to come back 90 day from the date on the entry stamp.

On 18/03/2019 at 07:31, chang beer said:

Less hassle.

Pal of mine renewed his at the well known agency on soi Buk a little further down from Nature View hotel 14,000 baht last week....me I do it the legit way...what happens next year when he/they have to show their bankbook is anyones guess.....:Crazy1:

• Like 3

5 hours ago, petermik said:

Pal of mine renewed his at the well known agency on soi Buk a little further down from Nature View Hotel 14,000 baht last week....me I do it the legit way...what happens next year when he/they have to show their bankbook is anyones guess.....:Crazy1:

What happens when he has to show his bank book at 90 days  to confirm the 800,000 Baht minimum has been kept.

Sex without love is an empty experience;

But as empty experiences go, it is one of the best.

24 minutes ago, Billyboy294 said:

What happens when he has to show his bank book at 90 days  to confirm the 800,000 Baht minimum has been kept.

I think the point of using an agent is that he won’t have to. How that fits in with doing 90-day reports with, presumably, a less ‘sympathetic’ IO is less clear. Guess agent could do that as well, or it’s done online.

Edit: a couple of other things about the new system as well. It’s obviously easier for a check to be made if you’re brought to the attention of Immigration for any reason as they’d just need to look back through your bank book. Secondly, you can’t really stop using an agent either as it will be obvious you’ve not been compliant the previous year when you show your 800000. Only way really is to start all over again with an O-A in your own country.

• Like 3

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

Only way really is to start all over again with an O-A in your own country.

Can leave the country go to Savannakhet Laos and start the process with a Non imm O again.

As for the 90 day reporting using an agency, i have two friends who use agencies and neither do 90 day reporting

16 hours ago, petermik said:

what happens next year when he/they have to show their bankbook is anyones guess....

What happens when he is due to do 90 day report and they ask for his bank book?  I anticipate  it will be a trip back to the Agent  with a few baht to cover expenses. 

11 hours ago, Scuba+ said:

Can leave the country go to Savannakhet Laos and start the process with a Non imm O again.

As for the 90 day reporting using an agency, i have two friends who use agencies and neither do 90 day reporting

You seem to be mixing up the 90 day report of your address (TM 47) which everyone must do, and which you can do on the internet, with retirees having to show that they have kept a minimum of 800,000 Baht in their bank account for 90 days after the issue of the "Extension of stay" (Retirement Visa).

You seem to be mixing up the 90 day report of your address (TM 47) which everyone must do, and which you can do on the internet, with retirees having to show that they have kept a minimum of 800,000 Baht in their bank account for 90 days after the issue of the "Extension of stay" (Retirement Visa).
Nope not mixing them up. The two friends who use agencies don't seem to do 90 day reporting, but I'll double check when i see them

6 hours ago, Scuba+ said:

21 minutes ago, Billyboy294 said:

5 minutes ago, Scuba+ said:
21 minutes ago, Billyboy294 said:

Nope not mixing them up. The two friends who use agencies don't seem to do 90 day reporting, but I'll double check when i see them

The new Visa rules only came into effect from 1st March so it is not possible that your two friends (via an Agency) actually Reported to show 800,000 baht in the Bank for 90days.

17 minutes ago, Scuba+ said:

Many of those using agents don't do 90-Days reports,

but it doesn't mean that there is no 90-Days reports done !

Agents often will do it for them. It's part of the "package"  (and 2 minutes on a computer...)

The new Visa rules only came into effect from 1st March so it is not possible that your two friends (via an Agency) actually Reported to show 800,000 baht in the Bank for 90days.
I'm not talking about the 800k reporting

1 hour ago, Billyboy294 said:

1 hour ago, Scuba+ said:
1 hour ago, Billyboy294 said:

I'm not talking about the 800k reporting

So what are you talking about?

The topic is about Retirement Visa problem- New Rules and the recent discussion is about if you get a Visa Agent to get you a RV on the basis of 800,000 baht in the bank. how do you deal with the requirement to Report  to Immigration after 90 days to show your bank book and confirm  you have kept a minimum of 800.000 baht for the last 90 days.

how do you deal with the requirement to Report  to Immigration after 90 days to show your bank book and confirm  you have kept a minimum of 800.000 baht for the last 90 days.

It's a new process but its likely that those people that use agencies for the 800k method won't need to go to Immigration except annually for the photo. That's why they are paying a premium. But feel free to go to an agency and ask or wait until a BM finds out and he can report back

On ‎18‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 14:31, chang beer said:

Less hassle.

I just pay the legal amount of 1,900 baht.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎07‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 01:09, Ru4Real said:

Getting off topic, although somewhat related, so last post to clarify for any other Aussies wondering. Your mate is getting confused/is misinformed and the above is just wrong.

• You can apply 13 weeks prior to your retirement date
  • You have to be in Australia to apply
  • If you are eligible you will be paid from the date of application/retirement age, whichever is the latter
  • To be eligible you need to have been an Australian resident for at least 10 years and have had at least one continuous period of 5 years
  • A full pension is based on your working life residence which at the moment is set to 35 years from the age of 16 (no need to have actually worked a day in your life, just been a resident)
  • If your working life residency is less than 35 years you will be paid pro rata
  • If you are deemed to be a resident you can bugger off overseas the next day and still be paid (portability) although after 6 weeks overseas you will lose the Pension Supplement
  • If you are deemed to have been a non-resident prior to applying (note there's a difference between the way Centrelink and the Tax Office define non-resident) then you need to convince them you are back for good and do a 2 year "jail term" before your pension becomes portable
  • During the jail term you can travel overseas but for how long and how many times is not specified (similar to the TiT concept, comes down to how the peeps that you deal with in Centrelink determine things on a given day)

Also a little off topic.  Was just recently told by an Aussie friend that he was recently informed by his government that he needs to be in the land of Oz 6 months out of the year to receive his pension. He's almost 66 years old,  is this a new policy for your country or was he misinformed? 

6 minutes ago, usexpat46 said:

is this a new policy for your country or was he misinformed? 

New one on me and pretty sure there'd be people bitching about it all over the web if the rules had changed. What government department does he reckon told him that and did he get informed of it 3 days ago?

Just now, Ru4Real said:

New one on me and pretty sure there'd be people bitching about it all over the web if the rules had changed. What government department does he reckon told him that and did he get informed of it 3 days ago?

I saw him about 2 weeks ago right before I headed back to the states to do my taxes.  Just got back to Pattaya yesterday and he told me about this new policy.  Some years back another Aussie friend who was living here and receiving a disability pension was told that he could only be out of the country a few months a year to continue receiving his pension.  Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to slam your country and I'll ask him about which department next time I see him. 

13 minutes ago, usexpat46 said:

Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to slam your country and I'll ask him about which department next time I see him. 

Like all countries, I'm sure there's a few things to slam us for 555

13 minutes ago, usexpat46 said:

Some years back another Aussie friend who was living here and receiving a disability pension was told that he could only be out of the country a few months a year to continue receiving his pension.

For normal pension: If you are out of the country for a certain amount of time they cut off the "pension supplement" (extra payment for drugs, telephone, utilities etc.). Used to be 26 weeks but they cut it to six weeks in 2017. 

For disability it depends on the severity e.g. permanent and can't work no issues full payment, if not total of 28 days payment in a year.

On 07/02/2019 at 21:31, biggles said:

"Yup more and more I keep thinking my future decision will end up an SRRV in The Philippines and then frequent 90 day stays in Thailand even though my preference would be to retire in Thailand when I finally pull the trigger on retirement."

I have had my SRrV for 7 years now, it gives me Residence in the Philippines, with an ID card and I have NEVER reported to immigration in that time. GF and I spend 5 months a year in Thailand (we keep a permanent place) 2X2 months and 1X30 days. Being Filipina she doesn"t pay for her visa, mine costs 1600pp.

i have never regretted my decision not to get involved in Thai retirement.

Hi Biggles Where in the Philippines did you decide to settle??

Edited by roderick

Just did a Euro transfer from my bank in Belgium for a one year living expenses here in Thailand as a senior retiree.

I waited as much as I could while hoping for the Euro vs THB exchange rate to improve. 

It didn't so I finally had to make the transfer at the Krung Thai TT atrociously low rate of 35.27.

I'm happy living here retired with my Isaan TGF but years back I thing going to Ecuador, Uruguay or Argentina would have been a better retirement choice.

Seeking the mythical My-Girl-is-Different

On 19/03/2019 at 17:58, petermik said:

Pal of mine renewed his at the well known agency on soi Buk a little further down from Nature View Hotel 14,000 baht last week....me I do it the legit way...what happens next year when he/they have to show their bankbook is anyones guess.....:Crazy1:

mareerat on soi 13/2 said no problem at all. Renew visa if you have the income or 800K in bank is 10 000 if they provide it  for you 16 500 Baht. 1st one however is 25K