IGNORED

Retirement Visa problem - New Rules

Billyboy294

I find this hard to believe but i was speaking to the Austrian Consul this afternoon and he said the British Embassy in Bangkok is no longer providing letters confirming your Pension/Income. If true you had better start saving your pennies to get 800,000 baht in the bank.

Anyone else heard this.

Sex without love is an empty experience;

But as empty experiences go, it is one of the best.

5 minutes ago, Billyboy294 said:

I find this hard to believe but i was speaking to the Austrian Consul this afternoon and he said the British Embassy in Bangkok is no longer providing letters confirming your Pension/Income. If true you had better start saving your pennies to get 800,000 baht in the bank.

Anyone else heard this.

Maybe he meant it’s not available in person. By post only.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

24 minutes ago, davidge said:

Maybe he meant it’s not available in person. By post only.

Yes i told him you now have to get it by post or email and he said  "not now".

I think possibly he misunderstood what he heard. I hope so.

Anyone else heard this.

Why does the Austrian Consul give advice on British Embassy matters ?

Sent from my SM-T535 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Billyboy294 said:

Anyone else heard this.

2 hours ago, gusincebu said:

Why does the Austrian Consul give advice on British Embassy matters ?

He wasn't giving advice. He was just passing on information he had heard as he knew it would be of interest to me. He lives in my Condo.

Fair enough .. not from " the horses mouth " then , just hearsay .

I checked the British Embassy link for downloading the forms to apply for the 'Letter' and there was no change.

You can still download the forms.

• 3 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Oukiva said:

Yes, I posted earlier today. I’d have started a new topic on it but I’m one of the BMs unable to do that at the moment due to technical issues.

image.png.f24d0886c179ec029e41ffda461ad790.png

Edited by Soi7
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

I have to keep reminding myself its a job :GoldenSmile1:
At Babydolls we are serious about fun

babydollsaddict.gif

23 minutes ago, Soi7 said:

image.png.f24d0886c179ec029e41ffda461ad790.png

That is not good .... Means more money for Visa Agency . 

Hi guys might be looking towards a retirement visa in a couple of years time, one of the criteria is 800bt/£20k in a Thai bank, I note Bangkok bank have a branch in London, would opening an account and depositing cash there qualify?

4 minutes ago, ronthebrummie said:

Hi guys might be looking towards a retirement visa in a couple of years time, one of the criteria is 800bt/£20k in a Thai bank, I note Bangkok bank have a branch in London, would opening an account and depositing cash there qualify?

No. Has to be in Thailand.

8 hours ago, ronthebrummie said:

I don't like commenting on these, but I will anyway. :-) For the American branch of Bangkok Bank that is in New York, an individual in the United States cannot open an account at the branch office in the United States. It's not the sort of bank branch that allows any individual accounts. 

However, an individual CAN open up a personal Bangkok Bank account from within Thailand. My Thailand Bangkok Bank account number is valid at the New York branch office of Bangkok Bank. So, with my Thailand account number, I can do direct deposits of my pension, or do domestic money transfers from another US bank, and have the funds automagically appear in my Thailand account. 

So, you sorta can. :-) Next trip to Thailand, open up a Bangkok Bank account at some location in Thailand. Then go read this link:

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Other-Services/Transfers/Transferring-Into-Thailand/Transfer-money-from-UK-to-Thailand-via-London-Branch

I wonder if/when the American Embassy will do the same in the near future... They require absolutely NO paperwork proving your income that you swear to in front of a consular officer... if they required paperwork, it would take additional time to process and it would be difficult to prove the authenticity of the paperwork provided as proof of retirement income...  

Retired in Pattaya, Thailand - arrived April 1, 2014... Ohhhhh yeahhhhhh... LiveN my dream!

:GrinNod1:  :GoldenSmile1:  :24:

So reading this correctly I can open an account in Thailand? (Im out in 3 weeks) can deposit Sterling via my UK bank to London and it will show up in Thailand? Will it automatically transfer to  Bht? 

What documents will I require in Thailand to open an account?

cheers thanks for your assistance.

44 minutes ago, Garzan said:

I can do direct deposits of my pension, or do domestic money transfers from another US bank, and have the funds automagically appear in my Thailand account.

this will end as of April 1st 2019 that came straight from the horses mouth. But SS direct deposits will still be allowed

babydollsaddict.gif

7 minutes ago, ronthebrummie said:

Stopping Pension letters - how to open Thai bank account.png

7 minutes ago, Soi7 said:

this will end as of April 1st 2019 that came straight from the horses mouth. But SS direct deposits will still be allowed

Use of domestic ACH transfers will end, but if the US bank allows international ACH transactions (IAT) then you'll still have an easy, and inexpensive method of transferring money. Unfortunately for me, Chase bank responded to my inquiry that they will not support IAT. I'm hoping that will change by April 1.

Bangkok Bank has updated their website with more info on what is changing as of April 1st.

Advice to senders using US bank internet banking services

If you have a U.S. bank account, you can conveniently transfer funds to a recipient's bank account at Bangkok Bank in Thailand via the internet by completing the steps described below for an international ACH transaction (IAT). International ACH payments are processed in accordance with operating rules and formats developed by the Electronic Payments Association (NACHA).

The IAT is a special code (a Standard Entry Class or “SEC” Code) for ACH payments that enables financial institutions such as Bangkok Bank to identify and monitor international ACH payments and to perform screening to ensure compliance with Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC, U.S. Department of the Treasury) requirements.  The NACHA  rules require Bangkok Bank’s New York Branch which serves as intermediary, to ensure that payments that are transmitted to account of beneficiary in other country are appropriately classified as IATs and contain information as described below.

Bangkok Bank, New York Branch, is required to receive the ACH transactions in the required IAT format.  This means that we must require that senders who wish to transmit funds to recipients at Bangkok Bank in Thailand to provide certain identifying information.

source: https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Other-Services/Transfers/Transferring-Into-Thailand/Transfer-money-from-US-to-Thailand-via-Bangkok-Bank-NewYork-branch

3 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Unfortunately for me, Chase bank responded to my inquiry that they will not support IAT.

My bank wont as well and I have been told most will not seems too much paper work involved

babydollsaddict.gif

2 hours ago, ronthebrummie said:

So reading this correctly I can open an account in Thailand? (Im out in 3 weeks) can deposit Sterling via my UK bank to London and it will show up in Thailand? Will it automatically transfer to  Bht? 

Yes, you should be able to open an account but it’s become more difficult and varies from branch to branch. Many now require a long-term visa as well as a Residence Certificate so it can be difficult if you’re on a Tourist Visa. If you’re patient and try lots of branches then you can end up with an account eventually. May even get lucky first time! Alternatively, there are agents who can get one for you for a fee.

As for sending money, just do a normal International Transfer from your UK bank account. Fee varies. I pay £9.50 with Lloyds. It can be done on internet banking. You’ll get a routing number for your Thai branch when you open the account along with, obviously, your account number and ask for the SWIFT code for that bank. Recently, if I send money on a Monday it’s generally in my Thai account on Wednesday morning.

1 minute ago, davidge said:

Yes, you should be able to open an account but it’s become more difficult and varies from branch to branch. Many now require a long-term visa as well as a Residence Certificate so it can be difficult if you’re on a Tourist Visa. If you’re patient and try lots of branches then you can end up with an account eventually. May even get lucky first time! Alternatively, there are agents who can get one for you for a fee.

As for sending money, just do a normal International Transfer from your UK bank account. Fee varies. I pay £9.50 with Lloyds. It can be done on internet banking. You’ll get a routing number for your Thai branch when you open the account along with, obviously, your account number and ask for the SWIFT code for that bank. Recently, if I send money on a Monday it’s generally in my Thai account on Wednesday morning.

Good info. I'll also add they may try to sell you insurance as a requirement for opening an account, but that's just BS.

3 hours ago, ronthebrummie said:

41 minutes ago, davidge said:

Forgot to say, always send in £ not in baht. The UK bank will try to default to baht so they do the exchange before sending. You’ll get a worse rate if you do it this way. Make sure you have it set to send in £.

• Like 2