IGNORED

Retirement Visa problem - New Rules

Billyboy294

With the new insurance rule i have been doing basic research getting a O-A from Australia for the 2 years i can get out of it.

Is just not economical viable for me. Am i  right in saying for a 50 to 55 year it is in the ball park of 40 k to 60 k a year.

The old total cost would have been 300 AUD application fee $42 police check + a  trip home $700  for the 2 years + basic travel insurance for  peace of mind for the 2 years will be 1 k at most.

The 800 k equivalent is no issue  so a max cost of $2500 AUD for the 2 years.Now i will have to add another 4 k  AUD so now it id 130 000 BHT k .

I am better of with a METV and getting 11 month out of it and going home for 2 months and do it again. + peace of mind only basic  travel insurances  max 2.2 k AUD that save me 50 k a year 

Or hoking up with a Thai girl with a non migrant O 

Ask a silly question and i'll leave a silly answer  

Would have been easier if you googled it yourself.    

Thanks spelling and grammar checkers for being a ?%6433%#E

Quote if you expect a reply.  

THE THING ABOUT COMMON SENSE IS THAT IT'S THAT NOT COMMON                                                                        

IT'S NOT ROCKET SURGERY       quote from Anna Nicole Smith.

Pacific Cross have a number of policies that they say are ‘approved’. At the bottom end the quoted premiums are:

image.jpeg
They also allow deductibles that can reduce the premiums by up to 50% - though that makes the actual insurance pretty useless for anything other than getting your Extension of Stay.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

2 hours ago, davidge said:

Pacific Cross have a number of policies that they say are ‘approved’. At the bottom end the quoted premiums are:

image.jpeg
They also allow deductibles that can reduce the premiums by up to 50% - though that makes the actual insurance pretty useless for anything other than getting your Extension of Stay.

Do you know if they offer a rebate if you don't have any medical problems during the year as I've heard some Thai health insurers provide this option?

2 hours ago, davidge said:

image.jpeg

yes i got the ball park figure from link in Thai embassy website Sydney and looked at a few https://www.axa.co.th/SmartCare-Executive-Individual-Long-Stay-Visa

• An original copy of the health insurance policy from an Australian insurance company OR an original or a copy of the health insurance company from one of the participating Thai insurance companies listed in https://longstay.tgia.org which covers the whole period of stay in Thailand with a minimum coverage of THB 400,000 (in-patient) and THB 40,000 (out-patient)
  • Download and complete Foreign Insurance Certificate

Some where in all of this i am missing something get a O-A in Australia get 1 years insurance arrive that part OK

Then exit county arrive back   before expiry date that  will extend visa for a other year ?? with a new insurance policy or any re entry will need to extend a insurance policy if there adding a 1 year stamp in passport if i am a country hopper.

27 minutes ago, usexpat46 said:

Do you know if they offer a rebate if you don't have any medical problems during the year as I've heard some Thai health insurers provide this option?

Not sure to me you can find your own as long as it fits in the guide lines above 

i think the issue is you need to go to a brick and motor store to get the foreign insurance Certificate  completed 

Edited by talung66
  • Like 1

Ask a silly question and i'll leave a silly answer  

Would have been easier if you googled it yourself.    

Thanks spelling and grammar checkers for being a ?%6433%#E

Quote if you expect a reply.  

THE THING ABOUT COMMON SENSE IS THAT IT'S THAT NOT COMMON                                                                        

IT'S NOT ROCKET SURGERY       quote from Anna Nicole Smith.

1 hour ago, usexpat46 said:

I’ve not heard of that - but I’m not really up on all the ins and outs of insurance. I believe they are allowed to increase premiums by up to 25% if you do claim though.

1 hour ago, talung66 said:

yes i got the ball park figure from link in Thai embassy website Sydney and looked at a few https://www.axa.co.th/SmartCare-Executive-Individual-Long-Stay-Visa

• An original copy of the health insurance policy from an Australian insurance company OR an original or a copy of the health insurance company from one of the participating Thai insurance companies listed in https://longstay.tgia.org which covers the whole period of stay in Thailand with a minimum coverage of THB 400,000 (in-patient) and THB 40,000 (out-patient)
  • Download and complete Foreign Insurance Certificate

Some where in all of this i am missing something get a O-A in Australia get 1 years insurance arrive that part OK

Then exit county arrive back   before expiry date that  will extend visa for a other year ?? with a new insurance policy or any re entry will need to extend a insurance policy if there adding a 1 year stamp in passport if i am a country hopper.

Not sure to me you can find your own as long as it fits in the guide lines above 

i think the issue is you need to go to a brick and motor store to get the foreign insurance Certificate  completed 

Sorry, I don’t really understand your post. This is, obviously, all new and it’s still being worked out. It’s very likely that different Embassies/Consulates will apply different rules. IF your Australian insurers will complete the official form (this may be an issue) then you should be able to get an O-A using that. Some Consulates may even accept without the form.

The rest is still very uncertain. In theory, Immigration will only stamp you for the duration of insurance. So if there only a month left on the insurance you only get a month in Thailand. How this will be enforced is anybody’s guess.

After the first year, they expect you to get Thai Insurance NOT renew the foreign insurance. So this is likely to be an issue.

Whether an Embassy/Consulate will issue a second O-A again with foreign insurance is anybody’s guess. No way of knowing yet.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BRIAN K said:

visited jomtien immigration today 29th at 11 left at 11.30 with 30 day extension to my visa for 1900 bht !

Sorry, but what does that have to do with the Retirement Visa rules?

I received my 9th retirement extension this week at changwattana.  This is the one day a year I wear dress shoes, socks, and long trousers.  I even wore a tie, the only one     for the second consecutive year.  The process went very smoothly and they treated me extremely well.  There was no mention of insurance, but my visa is Non-O B.

• Like 1

Retired

13 minutes ago, Piece Corp said:

This is the one day a year I wear dress shoes, socks, and long trousers.  I even wore a tie, the only one for the second consecutive year.  

I wear long pants and long sleeve shirts with some regularity now, and always when I go to the Immigration Office. It may or may not help, but it certainly doesn't hurt. :-)  I haven't worn I tie there yet, and not anywhere for the last nine years, but I do have a silk Book of Kells tie in my closet. Maybe someday. I'm still waiting on finding out about insurance. I came in on a Non-Imm O as an NGO volunteer. Thankfully mine isn't until August so there's time for things to settle down. (Hopefully)

And perhaps by then enough people will have asked the overseas liaison for American Blue Cross / Blue Shield about filling out the Thai insurance paperwork. Now they just go 'huh?'. 555

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry if this has been covered before but I have received conflicting info regarding retirement visa renewal-from bar stool lawyers mainly.

If you are renewing your retirement visa, here in Pattaya, do you need health insurance?

13 minutes ago, jimboh said:

Sorry if this has been covered before but I have received conflicting info regarding retirement visa renewal-from bar stool lawyers mainly.

If you are renewing your retirement visa, here in Pattaya, do you need health insurance?

Sorry to be pedantic, but it matters in this case. 
There is no such thing as a Retirement Visa and it is not possible to renew any visa.

Once your initial stay has ended so has the visa. From then on you are merely extending your Permission to Stay in Thailand ie getting an Extension of Stay.

Whether you need insurance under the new rules depends on what your initial visa was when you entered the country.

If you started with a Non Immigrant O-A visa (which are only available in your home country) then you will need insurance to get your next Extension of Stay.

If you started with a Non Immigrant O visa (which can be obtained in your home country, in Thailand by converting another visa, or in a third country) then you will not need insurance to get your next Extension of Stay.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, davidge said:

Sorry to be pedantic, but it matters in this case. 
There is no such thing as a Retirement Visa and it is not possible to renew any visa.

Once your initial stay has ended so has the visa. From then on you are merely extending your Permission to Stay in Thailand ie getting an Extension of Stay.

Whether you need insurance under the new rules depends on what your initial visa was when you entered the country.

If you started with a Non Immigrant O-A visa (which are only available in your home country) then you will need insurance to get your next Extension of Stay.

If you started with a Non Immigrant O visa (which can be obtained in your home country, in Thailand by converting another visa, or in a third country) then you will not need insurance to get your next Extension of Stay.

If your original Visa that you entered the country with was a non-immigrant OA then yes you will need insurance only if you are holding and non-immigrant OA will you need the insurance so far anyway I have no doubt they're going to make this mandatory for all long-term visas in the near future

Edited by Soi7
  • Like 2

I have to keep reminding myself its a job :GoldenSmile1:
At Babydolls we are serious about fun

babydollsaddict.gif

8 hours ago, Soi7 said:

If your original Visa that you entered the country with was a non-immigrant OA then yes you will need insurance only if you are holding and non-immigrant OA will you need the insurance so far anyway I have no doubt they're going to make this mandatory for all long-term visas in the near future

They know full well the severe hardship that mandatory insurance will bring to older expats especially those over 75.....Most older expats many who have been here for decades have nothing to go back to in the home country....

So lets call a spade a spade....A blanket mandatory insurance will not just be bad for many it will  just about be a act of evil.....

Their crappy insurance will be bad for every one else to....So I hope you are very wrong....

Edited by fforest

On 25/11/2019 at 17:41, usexpat46 said:

According to the Pacific Cross website they offer "No Claims" discounts of up to 20%

image.thumb.png.1fbca459fbc174e98ba2957dcdd18016.png

On 12/10/2019 at 09:05, typhoon42 said:

I’m wondering if Tricare (USA) would be acceptable for health insurance.   Quite a few military retirees (USA) in Thailand.

It appears there are efforts underway to try and persuade the Immigration Bureau and Ministry of Public Health to make an exception for TRICARE as an approved health insurance policy

4 minutes ago, G Baht said:

It appears there are efforts underway to try and persuade the Immigration Bureau and Ministry of Public Health to make an exception for TRICARE as an approved health insurance policy

Nope 

I have to keep reminding myself its a job :GoldenSmile1:
At Babydolls we are serious about fun

babydollsaddict.gif

Off-topic bickering removed. Don’t repeat it.

@G Baht that video you posted is from a ‘lawyer’ who has talked utter bullshit throughout the visa changes. He really needs to be completely ignored as he doesn’t have a clue.