Who’s Going To Win The World Soccer Cup

WalterA

11 hours ago, bukone said:

Can someone go check on @Captain Dave he’s been a bit quiet this morning 555 

Give me a break, I was up until 5.30am.

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why did the English say ‘the World Cup is coming home’? When they’ve only won it once. To me it seems Brazil is its home with 5 wins. I’m just curious about this. 

2 minutes ago, whitespider said:

I thought he had a fantastic tournament, hopefully we have found our man. However, i agree about the distribution - I was having kittens in the Columbia game when he kept doing those short passes, even goal kicks, the Walker who was instantly under pressure.

Pickford and Trippier the best of the bunch and Maguire will have added a few Mill to his value too.

Yes..Maguire too had a good tournament. Proved he is good enough to play for any of the top clubs.

3 hours ago, Convict said:

They flew home a couple of weeks ago. Just to be there was a good effort considering its about the 3rd or 4th most popular sport in the country.

I can't be blamed for their obsession with silly non-sports.

2 hours ago, faust said:

Croatia's first ball is foot over, the goal should be  disallowed. 

I thought that, certainly in the Premier League it would probably be disallowed for dangerous play.

However, this is the WC and the VER lot didn't object to it - they will have seen the raised boot and could have told the ref.

2 minutes ago, Captain Dave said:

Arh but Davey old son our trophy cabinets are full to the brim, league, cricket, union, and you only have one World Cup trophy, and zero euros 555

I keep hearing we will be better next time blah blah blah but so will all the other top nations, problem is you English make so much noise with little results.

Also at the end of the day people don’t care if they make semi finals or finals it’s all about winning m8 :) 

7 minutes ago, Captain Dave said:

It's not a dick mate, don't take it so hard

12 minutes ago, LOTTELLEE WINNA said:

I take your point, but Southgate really didn't have the talent to change things around much. No Gazza, Hoddle or Waddle....oh and Kane is no Lineker (and no where near being Jimmy Greaves). The midfield lacked creative talent, someone (like DeBruyne) who could penetrate the tightest of defences with a killer pass. I thought Pickford had a decent tournament - but really needs to work on his distribution; Trippier did well too.  Many/most of the players will play in the forthcoming Euros and the next World Cup, so Russia 18 will stand them in good stead.

Yes, we all know they are an inexperienced team, the youngest in the finals, so hopefully they can only 

get better.

Good (to my eyes anyway) to see so many Yorkshiremen in the side, including two Leeds academy products in Rose and Dier,

that probably helped prevent any Prime-Donna behaviour which doesn't go down well east of the Pennines. 

The one thing that has impressed everyone is the way the team gelled and played together as a team, often England's 

Achilles heel, and Gareth Southgate oozed calm and confidence which helped the youngsters a lot.

As you say, the Euro's next - though WC Qatar in the Persian Gulf summer of 2022 doesn't sound nice.  

3 minutes ago, Convict said:

It's not a dick mate, don't take it so hard

Banter old boy, I thought you Colonial Convict's got that.

It'll be a while before I take too seriously comment from an Aussie on football.

Cricket another matter of course. 

7 minutes ago, bukone said:

Arh but Davey old son our trophy cabinets are full to the brim, league, cricket, union, and you only have one World Cup trophy, and zero euros 555

I keep hearing we will be better next time blah blah blah but so will all the other top nations, problem is you English make so much noise with little results.

Also at the end of the day people don’t care if they make semi finals or finals it’s all about winning m8 :) 

As I said, silly non sports for the most part. 

Though I do remember my sister telling me about Johnny Wilkinson when she was at a game in Sydney.

Apparently he skied it over the bar, but never mind.

Banter old boy, I thought you Colonial Convict's got that.

It'll be a while before I take too seriously comment from an Aussie on football.

Cricket another matter of course. 

My comment was banter:P

1 minute ago, Captain Dave said:

Though I do remember my sister telling me about Johnny Wilkinson when she was at a game in Sydney.

When is this on again??

IMG_20180712_173234.jpg

Nah sorry forgot that one, but I do remember the 4 zip drubbing in the cricket last year :) 

The only impressive thing I found from the english team was this guy. Snappy dresser

Surely he is not related to the great unwashed english guys we see walking around pattaya

aa.jpg.4fb7a2a262b43107cedbf1f21e406f0a.jpg

12 Pints in Know it all

1 hour ago, Dr No said:

Why did the English say ‘the World Cup is coming home’? When they’ve only won it once. To me it seems Brazil is its home with 5 wins. I’m just curious about this. 

This has been discussed already, it relates to the fact Football in its modern codified form was an English invention.

Specifically it was a lyric in a rather catchy song written to celebrate England hosting of the 1996 Euro Championships.

1 hour ago, MFKS said:

When is this on again??

IMG_20180712_173234.jpg

Before the Australia team do anything of note, that's for sure.

I enjoy the banter and as I've said as someone who lived most of my life supporting England while

living in Scotland I am all too well aware of the Anglo/Celtic frictions on such occasions, but there is one thing that puzzles and frankly annoys me.

There have been many voices - including Roy Keane on TV last night demanding that the English not get

enthusiastic and visibly enjoy their teams run in the WC or noisily demonstrate their passion. 

"Pull your necks in" was one comment I've heard over the last week.

I'm sorry, but when have I ever heard anyone demand the same of Brazil? (not noted for cool detachment in matters football)

or Italy or Germany, Argentina, whoever?  

Its only the English who get brickbats for the natural impulse to get over-excited and less than sober in backing their

National team in a major tournament and rallying round to support their boys through thick and thin.

So, to anyone who feels that, I'm afraid I say - get knotted you're probably just jealous you couldn't share it,

Despite last night we had a great WC, are deeply proud of what our team achieved and will remember

the last few weeks of excitement, joy and drama for a long time.

8 minutes ago, Captain Dave said:

Before the Australia team do anything of note, that's for sure.

This is a fact. But only because 99% of us have no interest in (what we describe as) soccer. Personally I follow Australian Rules, the other half of the population follow one of the two rugby codes. Soccer is pretty much non-existent. 

Most Australians enjoy their football codes full contact and with plenty of scoring. Soccer provides neither of these features and so suffers in comparison. Those that follow soccer are the ethnics who were mostly born overseas or are first generation and whose parents raised them on the round ball game. 

1 hour ago, Mr Wombat said:

The only impressive thing I found from the english team was this guy. Snappy dresser

Surely he is not related to the great unwashed english guys we see walking around pattaya

aa.jpg.4fb7a2a262b43107cedbf1f21e406f0a.jpg

One thing I Ioved was the spitting image of Gareth, down to the waistcoat and tie, among the Stadium crowd

last night - you really had to look hard to be sure it wasn't the real one.

As to us Pattaya English - the waistcoat's in the wash.

4 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

This is a fact. But only because 99% of us have no interest in (what we describe as) soccer. Personally I follow Australian Rules, the other half of the population follow one of the two rugby codes. Soccer is pretty much non-existent. 

Most Australians enjoy their football codes full contact and with plenty of scoring. Soccer provides neither of these features and so suffers in comparison. Those that follow soccer are the ethnics who were mostly born overseas or are first generation and whose parents raised them on the round ball game. 

I was of course being cheeky in reply to some comments, especially negative ones about England

from those whose own teams were nowhere to be seen, but actually Australia have had some

good players from time to time, my Club Leeds had Harry Kewell and Mark Viduka some years past

and they were both bloody good.

1 hour ago, Captain Dave said:

I enjoy the banter and as I've said as someone who lived most of my life supporting England while

living in Scotland I am all too well aware of the Anglo/Celtic frictions on such occasions, but there is one thing that puzzles and frankly annoys me.

There have been many voices - including Roy Keane on TV last night demanding that the English not get

enthusiastic and visibly enjoy their teams run in the WC or noisily demonstrate their passion. 

"Pull your necks in" was one comment I've heard over the last week.

I'm sorry, but when have I ever heard anyone demand the same of Brazil? (not noted for cool detachment in matters football)

or Italy or Germany, Argentina, whoever?  

Those countries have/have had better teams. A bit more recent than 50 years ago. 

14 hours ago, Mick Pattaya said:

Pity England resorted to the age old long ball tactics & just couldn't match up Croatia in the midfield. They should have done so more effectively given Modric, Rakitic & the other Croat players were coming from 2 back to back 120 minute matches.

Seems, somehow they lost that nerve to hold the ball & play.

I dont personally go along with this train of thought, i cant see how playing 30 mins extra time in successive games alters things that much, if you have ability and experience you always have a chance, croatia had both these traits!

4 hours ago, Dr No said:

Home of football, ask any true football where the home of football lies, and them with  any idea at all will say England!

Archived