IGNORED

Who’s Going To Win The World Soccer Cup

WalterA

1 hour ago, wadman said:

Those countries have/have had better teams. A bit more recent than 50 years ago. 

England have also had very decent teams in the World Cups more recently than 50 years ago.

As I'm sure you really know.

But my point is, why is it only England that is critisised for supporting their team with colour, noise and passion,

whereas nobody else gets this?

The Scots - as I know only too well have had some dreadful teams over the years, but I don't recall

any brickbats thrown at their passionate support. 

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, faust said:

croadia is more dirty than england. england deserve better result.

Well they certainly played to their greater experience and the ref was rather lenient, to say the least,

but I make no complaint about the result.

I actually - despite last night - have a soft spot for Croatia as I lived there for 6 months in the mid 80's

standing by two ships being built in a shipyard at a quite small place called Kralyevica. 

I remember a very beautiful Country with mountains and Islands as well as warm and welcoming people. 

I still have a small smattering of Serbo-Croat.

So I wish them well in the final, though my head says France will win.

That team was several quality players short of being top notch, and deserving to be world champs. Sterling has had the best manager in the world trying to teach him the basics...it just doesn't stick, he is a busted flush. 

Please Croatia to win, I couldn't bear the surrender monkeys bagging the cup.

36 minutes ago, faust said:

the injustice turk ref, why not a ref from afrace or asia. the fjfa wanted the england out

Well as an England fan I'm willing to believe FIFA capable of any infamy!

4 hours ago, Captain Dave said:

There have been many voices - including Roy Keane on TV last night demanding that the English not get

enthusiastic and visibly enjoy their teams run in the WC or noisily demonstrate their passion. 

"Pull your necks in" was one comment I've heard over the last week.

I'm sorry, but when have I ever heard anyone demand the same of Brazil? (not noted for cool detachment in matters football)

or Italy or Germany, Argentina, whoever?  

Despite last night we had a great WC, are deeply proud of what our team achieved and will remember

the last few weeks of excitement, joy and drama for a long time.

Not only England. Holland is famous for this as well. How pathetic nowadays as they don't even qualify anymore.

Saw the footy mostly on a Belgian chanel and they acted the same. When beating Brazil they believed France was more easy to win and after that the worldcup would be theirs.

Deeply proud of beating Tunesia, Panama and Sweden ?  Drawing against Columbia ? Losing to Croatia and possibly losing twice to Belgium ?  Really ?

6 hours ago, vimto66 said:

I dont personally go along with this train of thought, i cant see how playing 30 mins extra time in successive games alters things that much, if you have ability and experience you always have a chance, croatia had both these traits!

Home of football, ask any true football where the home of football lies, and them with  any idea at all will say England!

Physically it shouldnt effect the Croats at all

Mentally it might take the edge off them a few % which it did

You could see that in it took them probably 60 mins to get to grips with England and get their own game into effect

Going to be a hard battle for them v France though

France have been solid throughout and will be more than "ready" for the occassion

8 hours ago, Captain Dave said:

I enjoy the banter and as I've said as someone who lived most of my life supporting England while

living in Scotland I am all too well aware of the Anglo/Celtic frictions on such occasions, but there is one thing that puzzles and frankly annoys me.

There have been many voices - including Roy Keane on TV last night demanding that the English not get

enthusiastic and visibly enjoy their teams run in the WC or noisily demonstrate their passion. 

"Pull your necks in" was one comment I've heard over the last week.

I'm sorry, but when have I ever heard anyone demand the same of Brazil? (not noted for cool detachment in matters football)

or Italy or Germany, Argentina, whoever?  

Its only the English who get brickbats for the natural impulse to get over-excited and less than sober in backing their

National team in a major tournament and rallying round to support their boys through thick and thin.

So, to anyone who feels that, I'm afraid I say - get knotted you're probably just jealous you couldn't share it,

Despite last night we had a great WC, are deeply proud of what our team achieved and will remember

the last few weeks of excitement, joy and drama for a long time.

Well maybe you should ask yourself why people from all over the planet take grwat delight in England getting knocked out of major tournaments??

Might have a lot to do with the attitudes of England to their place in Football and their lack of respect towards opponents

Modric was interviewed after the SF and even said how much motivation the Croats took from the English comments about the SF and WC etc

When it comes to football England have a reputation similar to how clued up USA citizens are on glabal affairs

6 hours ago, vimto66 said:

I dont personally go along with this train of thought, i cant see how playing 30 mins extra time in successive games alters things that much, if you have ability and experience you always have a chance, croatia had both these traits!

Home of football, ask any true football where the home of football lies, and them with  any idea at all will say England!

I say this because compared to Ali, Kane, Jesse & Sterling, the Croat midfield is much older, Modric, Rakitic in their 30's, so an extra 60 minutes plus two back to back penalty shoot-outs ought to affect their stamina more, however, as the match progressed the English lads looks more weary on their feet.

................................................................................................................

2DF6429B-2276-47DD-9A07-E33FF6985107.jpeg

12 hours ago, Captain Dave said:

Pathetic.

I also note you've been very quiet the last ten days.

Been scared shitless?

PS: Remind us again how your team fared - last time qualified for the finals last Century wasn't it?

Scared of england....haha good one. England are shit, serves you english shitebags right, talking about playing france before you've played croatia. English are a joke. We know we are shit we dont go claiming we are gonna win the euros or world cup before kicking a ball in qualifiers......no excuses for last night. You guys were shit.

VID-20180712-WA0003.mp4

1 hour ago, jimmy2sheds said:

Scared of england....haha good one. England are shit, serves you english shitebags right, talking about playing france before you've played croatia. English are a joke. We know we are shit we dont go claiming we are gonna win the euros or world cup before kicking a ball in qualifiers......no excuses for last night. You guys were shit.

VID-20180712-WA0003.mp4

I think the point that most England haters on here are missing is that most England fans are really happy with having made the World Cup semifinals and are looking forward to welcoming the team home.

If I was Belgian, I would be absolutely choked.

I think in their universe they won the cup. I agree, this "achievement" will fuel it for another 50 cupless years. They are still using "66" in the next century, actually in the next millennium.

I enjoy nationalistic enthusiasms when it comes to sports and supporting your country, but I am always open to friendly banters and teases when we fail, something to learn for them.

Enjoy Pattaya!

6 hours ago, MFKS said:

Well maybe you should ask yourself why people from all over the planet take grwat delight in England getting knocked out of major tournaments??

Might have a lot to do with the attitudes of England to their place in Football and their lack of respect towards opponents

Modric was interviewed after the SF and even said how much motivation the Croats took from the English comments about the SF and WC etc

When it comes to football England have a reputation similar to how clued up USA citizens are on glabal affairs

Well most Americans are clued up on global affairs enough to spell it right.

You are also quite wrong in your conclusion as to England's reputation in football, as a talk to anyone

who actually knows anything about football will tell you.

3 hours ago, javasumatra said:

I think the point that most England haters on here are missing is that most England fans are really happy with having made the World Cup semifinals and are looking forward to welcoming the team home.

If I was Belgian, I would be absolutely choked.

You're quite right, we entered the Competition well aware of our teams limitations and with

the lowest enthusiasm for a WC I can ever remember.

But the way the team and Manager has conducted themselves and the performances and enthusiasm of this young team of players, with their lack of the sort of Prima-Donna attitude all too common in the past, warmed the hearts of the Nation. 

Gareth Southgate, whatever his limitations as a tactical manager was dignity and calm assurance personified, he and his waistcoat is already a National icon.

They will return home to a heroes welcome.

Anyone who can't understand this is sadly handicapped by failure to be English.

1 minute ago, Captain Dave said:

You're quite right, we entered the Competition well aware of our teams limitations and with

the lowest enthusiasm for a WC I can ever remember.

But the way the team and Manager has conducted themselves and the performances and enthusiasm of this young team of players, with their lack of the sort of Prima-Donna attitude all too common in the past, warmed the hearts of the Nation. 

Gareth Southgate, whatever his limitations as a tactical manager was dignity and calm assurance personified, he and his waistcoat is already a National icon.

They will return home to a heroes welcome.

Anyone who can't understand this is sadly handicapped by failure to be English.

So with all that, what do you think should be the expectation for the next World Cup?

Four years on, players more mature and potentially the same manager. 

4 hours ago, jimmy2sheds said:

VID-20180712-WA0003.mp4

How charming, well they will - at worst  - be 4th in the World, so there's a hell of a lot of shittier teams out there.

Again, when was the last time your lot even qualified for the finals?

Last Century wasn't it?

Clearly you are an expert on shit.

1 minute ago, Dr No said:

So with all that, what do you think should be the expectation for the next World Cup?

Far to early to tell, I just note that we have last year won the World Cup's at both youth levels.

So there is clearly a rich vein of talent coming through. 

Fingers crossed.

England can salvage a little pride by beating Belgium tomorrow.

11 minutes ago, Explorer8939 said:

England can salvage a little pride by beating Belgium tomorrow.

England's pride in it's football team is about as plentiful as I have seen it since 1990. The country is delighted with them!!

I would like to see the 3rd place playoff as bit of a kickabout with both teams fielding a second 11.

42 minutes ago, Dr No said:

England 1990 - World cup semi finalists beaten on a penalty shootout by West Germany in Turin July 4th. England were the best team in the tournament,

USA 1994 - Didn't qualify.

No predictions from me.

I'm not sure if I'm more excited to root against the French or for Croatia.

Some of the shit the French pulled during their match against Belgium had me apoplectic.

2 hours ago, javasumatra said:

England's pride in it's football team is about as plentiful as I have seen it since 1990. The country is delighted with them!!

I would like to see the 3rd place playoff as bit of a kickabout with both teams fielding a second 11.

The third place match is often quite entertaining as a lot of the pressure is off.

Lets hope so anyway.

To all those having a go at the England team, and I haven't read any English fan suggesting they are Brazil 1970 re-born,

there wasn't exactly any stand-out teams outside the semi-final four.

Brazil, Germany, Spain, Argentina, Portugal, Uruguay among the fancied outfits with household stars all failed to 

set the grass on fire - which is what has made this WC so interesting and exciting. 

Not many will receive the warm welcome home that England will deservedly get.

Archived