Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Smokin' Joe's BBQ on Soi Lengkee

Evil Penevil

Another plus I like about this place are their mixed drinks (Bacardi coke).

Most bars/restaurants in Pattaya serve weak drinks with flat coke in a tiny glass.

This place serves a generous portion of rum in proper size glass, plenty of ice and an unopened can of coke.

They let me pour the coke so I can control the strength of the cocktail. Just like I do at home.

On my next trip in a few weeks I plan to return for happy hour drinks as well as dinner.

IMHO the best place for mixed drinks in town.

I doubt you read my post. Instead you go on the attack.

I am pointing out a real problem that really should be fixed.

The menu says that all flavors of ribs (except Memphis) are slathered with sauce before serving.

That's a totally separate thing from the side cup of sauce. 

That impacts on the flavor of the dish itself in a significant way. 

On the owners thread, the owner clearly confirmed this important detail -- that all rib flavors (except Memphis) go through this step of slathering directly on the ribs before serving.

I have had ribs twice there.

One time Memphis which was dry ribs as expected (but not really a visible dry rub as expected). 

Forget the Memphis and focus on what I'm saying.

The second time I had ribs there, not Memphis, they were also served totally dry. 

That is not how the owner said is their policy.

So there is likely a problem in the kitchen, right?

The owner can't watch all orders.

As it happened to me, there is no way I am the only person that ordered a non-Memphis flavor and didn't get what the menu (and owner) has promised.

I want others to report in their reviews whether their (non-Memphis) order came with the slathering step or totally dry, as I got it.

Again, I realize many people don't like my attitude, and think the owner is always right. Think about this some more. The owner himself said they're doing this. That means the owner wants them to do this. I'm  suggesting that customers deserve what they're paying for and what the owner says is their process.

I don't see any excuse going forward for this not to be fixed, unless the owner does a 180 and says they've changed their minds and won't be slathering the ribs as the menu promises. 

What's negative about trying to get customers what's promised on the menu and confirmed by the owner that it is indeed their policy to slather all ribs directly (except for Memphis)?

In my view, that's positive and helpful.

It's a new restaurant. 

There are always staff and inconsistency issues especially in Thailand. 

This isn't hard to fix. Why not support in encouraging the owner to fix it instead of focusing on dislike of my style, without even considering specifically what I'm saying?

OMG give it a rest you are like a stuck CD

555555555 Some people just need to get a life.

Yep

I have eaten in Smoking Joes about 10 times in the last few weeks.

The meals I have had have all been spot on

The restaurant is a very welcome addition .

I personally think the owner has done a brilliant job getting his restaurant up to scratch in such a short time scale.

You get one poster whinging about no Frigging bread with the ribs

You couldn't make it up

Funny shit 555

Edited by Pheat

Yep

I have eaten in Smoking Joes about 10 times in the last few weeks.

The meals I have had have all been spot on

The restaurant is a very welcome addition .

I personally think the owner has done a brilliant job getting his restaurant up to scratch in such a short time scale.

You get one poster whinging about no Frigging bread with the ribs

You couldn't make it up

Funny shit 555

Don't forget more sauce.......for the bread.
  • Like 3

Went in there twice when I was in town last week.Had the daily specials could just about finish them.The BBQ Chicken was the best,perfectly cooked and a lot of meat.Thought it was great value.I hope this place does well,I would definitely go back.

• Like 3

Assuming you got a flavor other than Memphis, were your ribs served with a slather of sauce as promised on the menu and confirmed by the owner as their policy, or were they served dry? Again, not talking about the side cup of sauce but the ribs themselves.

Thanks for the information. 

I want to ask everyone providing reviews of the ribs (not Memphis) to say whether their order had the slather or whether they experienced the same kitchen mistake that happened to me. I can't believe I was the only one.

I got the side cup. It was enough for me and they were tasty. No complaints

I can't remember which ones I ordered but I couldn't finish my meal.

I got ribs, onion rings (proper rings) and sweet corn.

We still cannot find this place?

where is this Legkee road?

the map does not expand enough to get a bearing or landmark.

We still cannot find this place?

where is this Legkee road?

the map does not expand enough to get a bearing or landmark.

turn right at kiss foods on second road, walk to soi buckhow, cross the street, 100 meters on the left, can't miss it.

• 2 weeks later...

Eating here now, delicious big juicy ribs, 1/2 rack two sides 295 baht. Yum d45166bfd57523f14c054e8c07b49fed.jpg

• Like 3

Eating here now, delicious big juicy ribs, 1/2 rack two sides 295 baht. Yum d45166bfd57523f14c054e8c07b49fed.jpg

try that again, just wanted to say the staff are excellent especially waitress nate. Very attentive and skilled waitress thanks!

Things are better now at Smokin' Joes. :ThumbUp6:

Short version. If you like American BBQ food ... y'all visit. 

They now have two kinds of slaw, one with mayo, one without. Both are good.

To me, the BBQ beans tastes less sweet than before, which to me is a great improvement. 

Even the mac and cheese recipe seems to have changed. Before and after both good. 

Last order of ribs did go through the step of saucing directly on the ribs before serving. Hard to see it but I could taste it.

The portion of BBQ sauce on the side considering the ribs are being sauced directly (if yours aren't like happened to me once, ask them to fix it) is enough for sure considering there is no bread served for soaking it up.

One flavor, Memphis style, is supposed to come without the direct saucing last step, but you should expect that step on all the other choices. 

I respect the decision of the owners not to include some white bread with the plate (as would be traditional in most places in the U.S.). That's their business decision and I assume it's final. 

Clearly the pork ribs are the star of this place, and it was ambitious going for such a robust choice of sauce styles. Overall, I think the execution is quite good.

Congratulations on what looks to be a successful new restaurant launch and see no reason why based on the food that the place can't continue to thrive.

Edited by Kreggerz
  • Like 2

The Margaritas are fantastic.

IMG_20161208_223344260_zpswxprqea3.jpg

Nice and strong and will put you well on your way after a couple of them! I like to mop my Margaritas up with a slice of white bread but unfortunately they didn't come served with bread. Gutted ;)

IMG_20161208_221406262_zps4qqfuj9s.jpg

The ribs were great as well, I'll definitely be back again!

IMG_20161205_195603450_zpswixthhxu.jpg

• Like 1

:Party1:

Things are better now at Smokin' Joes. :ThumbUp6:

Short version. If you like American BBQ food ... y'all visit. 

They now have two kinds of slaw, one with mayo, one without. Both are good.

To me, the BBQ beans tastes less sweet than before, which to me is a great improvement. 

Even the mac and cheese recipe seems to have changed. Before and after both good. 

Last order of ribs did go through the step of saucing directly on the ribs before serving. Hard to see it but I could taste it.

The portion of BBQ sauce on the side considering the ribs are being sauced directly (if yours aren't like happened to me once, ask them to fix it) is enough for sure considering there is no bread served for soaking it up.

One flavor, Memphis style, is supposed to come without the direct saucing last step, but you should expect that step on all the other choices. 

I respect the decision of the owners not to include some white bread with the plate (as would be traditional in most places in the U.S.). That's their business decision and I assume it's final. 

Clearly the pork ribs are the star of this place, and it was ambitious going for such a robust choice of sauce styles. Overall, I think the execution is quite good.

Congratulations on what looks to be a successful new restaurant launch and see no reason why based on the food that the place can't continue to thrive.

S&C must be absolutely thrilled that you think the execution is quite good 555

S&C must be absolutely thrilled that you think the execution is quite good 555

I'm no medical doctor but all of the meats I've had there so far have been properly dead.  :Crazy1:  

• 3 weeks later...

Made it in for the first time tonight. The place is good, no doubt. The BBQ Beans were very tasty. The Mac and Cheese was good, but a little bland IMO. I would probably try a different second next time.

Oh, my main order was the KC Pork Ribs. Really very good. No complaints. The reason I am coming off as a little luke warm is that I am a Chicago guy and we are very partial to Baby Back Ribs. The ribs that I was served were not Baby Backs. They were good, meaty, and flavorful. I have no complaints. Just that they are not Baby Backs. Would hope to see that option added to the menu, but I would expect that to be more expensive as well.

Edited by ChiFlyer
  • Like 1

Made it in for the first time tonight. The place is good, no doubt. The BBQ Beans were very tasty. The Mac and Cheese was good, but a little bland IMO. I would probably try a different second next time.

Oh, my main order was the KC Pork Ribs. Really very good. No complaints. The reason I am coming off as a little luke warm is that I am a Chicago guy and we are very partial to Baby Back Ribs. The ribs that I was served were not Baby Backs. They were good, meaty, and flavorful. I have no complaints. Just that they are not Baby Backs. Would hope to see that option added to the menu, but I would expect that to be more expensive as well.

Thank you for the feedback, here in Thailand the pork is the same price per kilo, Baby back would be cheaper as the tend to be under 800g  per rack VS the St Louis / Spare Ribs we serve which are 1.6 kilo and up!  I will look into it as an option, I'm glad you enjoyed the meal and hope to see you again.

Thx

Reckon there is an opening for Mr China Garden to open a joint Smoking Joe/Steak & Co on the Darkside.

There are some really good and busy places on the Darkside, like Pepper & Salt, Aroy and De Marcos.

Guess rents would be a lot cheaper also.