IGNORED

Smokin' Joe's BBQ on Soi Lengkee

Evil Penevil

Thank you for the feedback, here in Thailand the pork is the same price per kilo, Baby back would be cheaper as the tend to be under 800g  per rack VS the St Louis / Spare Ribs we serve which are 1.6 kilo and up!  I will look into it as an option, I'm glad you enjoyed the meal and hope to see you again.

Thx

Interesting to hear about how pork ribs are cost in Thailand. The St.Louis cut, even at a half rack, was a lot of food. Will be back regardless.

I suspect that my comment about the Mac and Cheese ties back to what type of cheeses you have to work with. Thought I tasted Gouda. I make a fairly mean Mac and Cheese myself back in the USA. I make a Bechamel Sauce then add sharp cheddar. guyere, and parm. Grated Reggiano on the later, which is expensive.  

That's a pimped up Mac and Cheese. I wouldn't be expecting anything like that at a standard BBQ restaurant. 

Edited by Kreggerz

Reckon there is an opening for Mr China Garden to open a joint Smoking Joe/Steak & Co on the Darkside.

There are some really good and busy places on the Darkside, like Pepper & Salt, Aroy and De Marcos.

Guess rents would be a lot cheaper also.

Sadly I have limited ambitions as to location, a few people have suggested Steak & Co in Bangkok would work well. I did live in Bangkok for 4-5 years too but alas any future expansion would be in Soi Lengkee or around Soi Baukaw, I know and like the area and pooling all your resources (staff, manager, stock etc) makes sense to me. 

• Like 2

Interesting to hear about how pork ribs are cost in Thailand. The St.Louis cut, even at a half rack, was a lot of food. Will be back regardless.

I suspect that my comment about the Mac and Cheese ties back to what type of cheeses you have to work with. Thought I tasted Gouda. I make a fairly mean Mac and Cheese myself back in the USA. I make a Bechamel Sauce then add sharp cheddar. guyere, and parm. Grated Reggiano on the later, which is expensive.  

To be honest it's two kinds of cheddar, we do make a bechamel sauce mother sauce and throw in the two types of cheddar, it would be a lot nicer if we used Parmesan, some things come down to cost but i'll look into it.  

• Like 2

That's a pimped up Mac and Cheese. I wouldn't be expecting anything like that at a standard BBQ restaurant. 

Absolutely true. I am a copy cat home cook making dishes for a few family members and friends. I do nothing that approaches the rigors of running a restaurant. Just a musing comment on my part. I hope no offense was taken.

• Like 1

To be honest it's two kinds of cheddar, we do make a bechamel sauce mother sauce and throw in the two types of cheddar, it would be a lot nicer if we used Parmesan, some things come down to cost but i'll look into it.  

One minor thought. I might try an experiment of going with a sharper cheddar for one of those two cheeses. 

• Like 1

One minor thought. I might try an experiment of going with a sharper cheddar for one of those two cheeses. 

We do use red (sharper) & white cheddar, thanks for the input. I think the best way to raise the over-all quality would be to use Parmesan as a third cheese and replace one of the cheddar's with Gouda. 

We do use red (sharper) & white cheddar, thanks for the input. I think the best way to raise the over-all quality would be to use Parmesan as a third cheese and replace one of the cheddar's with Gouda. 

Not too sure what it costs comparatively in Thailand, or if it is available at all, but I have found in my home level experimentation that Gruyere works well. That would be a Parm, Sharp Cheddar, and Gruyee combo. Just saying.

Edited by ChiFlyer

• 1 month later...

This is a must for my next vacation...since my hotel will be on SOI LK

I can't wait to try this place!

I usually try to go to Smokin Pug in Bangkok at least once every trip. I just love their ribs and brisket.  

But its location is not all that convenient for me as I stay in Sukhumvit.  I am not all that interested in Patpong and its far to go all the way out there just for BBQ (no matter how good it is).

I will try this place a substitute next trip. Pics and review look promising. 

Dropped by this afternoon for a 1/2 rack of the ribs on special.  Great sauce, meat was fall off the bone done, and the Mac and Cheese was pretty darn good for non-North American milk I'm sure :)   Also really liked that they had both vinager and mayo  Coleslaw options!   Worth a visit for sure to get a bbq fix.  Also i have heard the steak place next door (it looks like 1 big place from the front, but there are two sides) is good as well so I may have to try that out too :)

On 4/18/2017 at 2:46 PM, Man7 said:

Dropped by this afternoon for a 1/2 rack of the ribs on special.  Great sauce, meat was fall off the bone done, and the Mac and Cheese was pretty darn good for non-North American milk I'm sure :)   Also really liked that they had both vinager and mayo  Coleslaw options!   Worth a visit for sure to get a bbq fix.  Also i have heard the steak place next door (it looks like 1 big place from the front, but there are two sides) is good as well so I may have to try that out too :)

The good reviews keep rolling in on this place. I will definitely try it week after next.

Steak and C. next door is just OK IMHO. Steaks don't have a whole lot of flavor. I think they have fallen off a bit and used to be better. 

Oddly enough, the best thing on their Menu for me is the Tom Yam Goong. Good fresh ingredients, nice big piece of shrimp and just the right heat..

• 3 weeks later...

I had dinner there with a friend last week. Awesome ribs and brisket for me and ribs and chicken for him. The meat was smoked and grilled perfectly and KC BBQ sauce awesome too. Tasty sides too. We both loved it.

Portions are GINORMOUS., A half rack would be enough for me but I really wanted to taste the Brisket too. Leftovers made a great snack next morning after my Ibar girl left (I was too greedy to share them with her - 555) 

In the future I will probably go for the daily specials which are an absolutely amazing deal at 300 baht or so (if memory serves) for a half rack. They change by the day.  

Two thumbs up from me and my friend. Not quite as good as Pug in BKK but damned close.

We will be back!

IMG_20170508_151559.jpg

IMG_20170508_151548.jpg

The volume of food for the money is incredible.  I was a little underwhelmed with the ribs and especially the brisket.  Don't get me wrong...I love meat.  But this would pass as very low tier BBQ back home in the states.  The ribs should not be fall off the bone like they are here.  The brisket should not be flimsy like a spaghetti noodle.  The dry ribs were lacking flavor.  Dry ribs typically have a nice thick flavorful "bark" on them.  The "rub" that the menu said was on there was little more than SPG.  Definitely get sauce on your ribs when you go. 

I still recommend this place, but don't go expecting high quality BBQ.  This is just my opinion.  Even after writing this review I will still probably go again on my next trip.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, jerrygarcia said:

The volume of food for the money is incredible.  I was a little underwhelmed with the ribs and especially the brisket.  Don't get me wrong...I love meat.  But this would pass as very low tier BBQ back home in the states.  The ribs should not be fall off the bone like they are here.  The brisket should not be flimsy like a spaghetti noodle.  The dry ribs were lacking flavor.  Dry ribs typically have a nice thick flavorful "bark" on them.  The "rub" that the menu said was on there was little more than SPG.  Definitely get sauce on your ribs when you go. 

I still recommend this place, but don't go expecting high quality BBQ.  This is just my opinion.  Even after writing this review I will still probably go again on my next trip.

You are a tough critic but I think you gotta factor in location and price. I don't think I could get a half rack with 2 sides for under $10 anywhere in the US anymore. (their special is 300 baht on Tuesdays). 

Brisket was flavorful but a bit rubbery (I do agree with you there). I really liked the Ribs. My only complaint was that they could be more meaty. But this may have more to do with the local breed of pigs. 

I grew up in California so I guess I'm not as real connoisseur of BBQ. I can only think of one or two local joints that do better ribs than this place where I grew up (the SF bay Area).

You seem to be more of an expert. I'd be curious to hear what you think of Pug in BKK..

58 minutes ago, Uncle-V said:

You are a tough critic but I think you gotta factor in location and price. I don't think I could get a half rack with 2 sides for under $10 anywhere in the US anymore. (their special is 300 baht on Tuesdays). 

Brisket was flavorful but a bit rubbery (I do agree with you there). I really liked the Ribs. My only complaint was that they could be more meaty. But this may have more to do with the local breed of pigs. 

I grew up in California so I guess I'm not as real connoisseur of BBQ. I can only think of one or two local joints that do better ribs than this place where I grew up (the SF bay Area).

You seem to be more of an expert. I'd be curious to hear what you think of Pug in BKK..

I'm not a connoisseur either.  But I've had BBQ in the south a handful of times and am obsessed with watching this style cooking on Youtube.  My father in his retired age is also obsessed with smoking brisket and ribs low and slow.  My father's ribs from the Weber Smokey Mountain are 10x better than this....but then again it's not being mass produced for a restaurant.  The bark he can get on those things is incredible, while still having a super juicy yet firm bite on the rib.  Maybe I'm spoiled but when I bite into a rib, half of the thing shouldn't fall off and be slapping my chin.  Fall off the bone ribs are not the way it should be for this style of cooking (smoked low and slow).  Other styles, like boiled and then grilled, sure. 

I said that the value is very nice, almost hard to believe.  110% agree.  As "tough" as a critic as I sound I will go back on my next trip.  Mostly because low and slow BBQ does not exist in Japan.  There is one restaurant in Tokyo and the spread you get at Smokin' Joes would cost 60$ USD.

I'm overly critical about this style of cooking because it is by far the best thing I've ever had in my life as far as meat goes.

Edited by jerrygarcia
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Uncle-V said:

Those Weber smokers are amazing. I may need to get one!

Do it!  They are worth the money and not that hard to work after you use it a few times.  The ribs you can get out of those things are out of this world.  Smoking brisket takes forever....but ribs only a handful of hours.

19 hours ago, jerrygarcia said:

Regarding having ribs that fall off the bone versus those that have bite, I think it is a personal preference. I too prefer the ribs that have a bit of a bite, though the meat should be able to be pulled off the bone with little effort.

But my friends go on about "fall off the bone" ribs. So they might just be catering to the majority of customers. who "don't know better"...hehehe.

Having said that, I have eaten at SJs several times, and have been happy with the ribs each time I went. I didn't find they were fall off the bone. To me, fall off the bone means you can literally slide the bone out of the meat leaving all the meat behind. The ribs I had were far from that.

In the end,  you have to compare the restaurants with what's available in Pattaya, not what's available back home. Back home, the restaurants have access to cheaper better quality ingredients (meatier ribs, for example), than they do here. And better technological know how, so you can get the guy who has building smokers for 30 years to build you one that is perfect from the start. 

I think they may have expanded the blue plate specials too. I remember seeing a menu on the table that said specials went till 6 PM and that ribs were offered several times a week (instead of the one time a week as indicated on the street sign).

Or was I just dreaming all this? 555 

Daily specials4e90066cf9595740ceda19d9d0b4ddb1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

My girl is "different". A different one everyday.

8 hours ago, Syd Tybil said:

Daily specials4e90066cf9595740ceda19d9d0b4ddb1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

thanks!

Now those are some pretty damned good deals for good quality food. 

Had the Monday early bird special last week. Kansas City.

Excellent food. The coleslaw was that good I ordered an extra portion.

• 2 weeks later...

Korean hotties try American BBQ