IGNORED

Smokin' Joe's BBQ on Soi Lengkee

Evil Penevil

We have extended our Early Bird Specials to ALL DAY !!! And returned to a wider selection of dishes on different days after many requests. 

18581980_1688643688099328_6313293881877543959_n.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, steak&co said:

We have extended our Early Bird Specials to ALL DAY !!! 

.... and increased the prices of them from the first iteration of the EBS.  I wish you'd return to a lower-priced afternoon offer, closing at 5pm or 6pm.  Here are the EBSs from a few months ago:

SmokinJoesEBS1.jpg

• Like 3

Plus no longer a choice of two sides.

I guess you could say not-as-special specials.

31 minutes ago, Kreggerz said:

Plus no longer a choice of two sides.

I guess you could say not-as-special specials.

Well in fairness the Specials are more special for evening diners, but less special for daytime diners.  It's a shift in emphasis of who the restaurant wants to attract.  I'd imagine this change will reduce the number of daytime visitors, and since I was only ever going to be daytime I'm disappointed.

I wish Smokin' Joes would have two sets of Specials, an all day Special with a small reduction, and an Early Bird Special ending at 5pm or 6pm with steeper reductions.

To me, the competition for ribs is the Beefeater Saturday and Sunday Mexican buffet at (can't remember price exactly) about B350, where the ribs come as part of a buffet with several other dishes, and to me that seems more attractive.

On 1/13/2017 at 1:17 AM, StrikeEagle said:

Texans don't generally do pork ribs. Most Texas BBQ is Beef (brisket or beef Ribs) with only a thin mop sauce applied to help keep the meat moist during the cooking process. Asking for sauce on the side in Texas is considered an insult as it implies that the meat is dry.

I'm from Texas and actually pretty much every BBQ in Texas I ever went to had a huge BBQ sauce pot out on the condiments bar, along with dill pickles, sliced onions, sliced jalapenos and bread.  Most BBQs you walk up, order your meat and sides at a long counter cafeteria style, and take it to a table after hitting the condiment bar.

But your right about that in Texas is beef brisket, beef ribs, sausage and chicken at the BBQs.

Anyway I'll be giving Smokin Joe's a try.

I'm from Texas and actually pretty much every BBQ in Texas I ever went to had a huge BBQ sauce pot out on the condiments bar, along with dill pickles, sliced onions, sliced jalapenos and bread.  Most BBQs you walk up, order your meat and sides at a long counter cafeteria style, and take it to a table after hitting the condiment bar.
But your right about that in Texas is beef brisket, beef ribs, sausage and chicken at the BBQs.
Anyway I'll be giving Smokin Joe's a try.

Ask for sauce in Texas, and you've told the cook that the meat is dry.

StrikeEagle
"When you care enough to send the Best in the World"

Pussy Prices IMO, Beach Road (Coconut Bar) ST 500 - 800; LT 1000-1500, May be similar in Bamboo and PBG or slightly dearer: Bars and some massage places, bar fine 300-400; ST 800 - 1000; LT 1000-2000, may be cheaper later in the evening: Agogos, bar fine ST 700 - 1000 bar fine  LT 1500 ST 1500-2000, LT 2000-3500: IBar, Insomnia, other Discos, early  expensive getting cheaper as sunrise approaches but 1000-3000 depending: Feel free to PM me with updates

Just now, StrikeEagle said:

Ask for sauce in Texas, and you've told the cook that the meat is dry.

1) You usually don't have to ask for sauce in Texas, it's in a giant pot on the condiment bar.  If not they give you a cup with your meat.

2) I've had BBQ in Grand Prairie, Arlington, Dallas, Fort Worth Sugar Land, Stafford, Richmond, Katy, Houston, Austin, Midland, Centerville and probably a few other places I don't remember.  Almost everyone adds sauce, and no one is insulted by it.

So they now only give you one side?

Still a pretty good deal. That's $8.50 for a 1/2 rack of ribs. Where could I find that in the US? (Not even in a rib shack in the seedier parts of town). 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Uncle-V said:

So they now only give you one side?

Still a pretty good deal. That's $8.50 for a 1/2 rack of ribs. Where could I find that in the US? (Not even in a rib shack in the seedier parts of town). 

Thats right, one free side dish with the specials, exactly the same as the menu items. I think it's still a great deal too.

• Like 1

... I've had BBQ in Grand Prairie, Arlington, Dallas, Fort Worth Sugar Land, Stafford, Richmond, Katy, Houston, Austin, Midland, Centerville and probably a few other places I don't remember.  Almost everyone adds sauce, and no one is insulted by it.

It's an old saying from Texas. It's a well worn joke in the BBQ community.

Today, I'd agree with you that it's common to have sauce available in Texas. American tastes have changed and thus restaurants cater to those changes.

Even in IBCA competitions, which are almost all held in Texas, sauce is served with most meats. The exception to this would be Brisket, which almost never sees sauce in Texas.

And, based on the description, Smokin' Joe's Texas Sauce sounds to be spot on for flavor profile. Again, I applaud the owner for making the effort to bring the authentic styles and flavors of American BBQ to Pattaya.
  • Like 2

StrikeEagle

Pussy Prices IMO, Beach Road (Coconut Bar) ST 500 - 800; LT 1000-1500, May be similar in Bamboo and PBG or slightly dearer: Bars and some massage places, bar fine 300-400; ST 800 - 1000; LT 1000-2000, may be cheaper later in the evening: Agogos, bar fine ST 700 - 1000 bar fine  LT 1500 ST 1500-2000, LT 2000-3500: IBar, Insomnia, other Discos, early  expensive getting cheaper as sunrise approaches but 1000-3000 depending: Feel free to PM me with updates

Stopped in yesterday and had the Taco Salad with pulled pork.  Really nice option and in a fresh tortilla shell.  I'll probably order double meat next time, but taste and size wise it's a great value IMO. 

This article truly demonstrates that the owner of Smokin' Joe's gets it when it comes to regional BBQ.

http://bbqworld.org/a-guide-to-american-barbecue-sauce-styles/

StrikeEagle

On 12/05/2017 at 06:45, Uncle-V said:

Not quite as good as Pug in BKK but damned close.

IMG_20170508_151559.jpg

IMG_20170508_151548.jpg

My thoughts exactly;)

Just came back from Pattaya last week.  Ate at Smokin' Joe's twice while there.  I loved it.  I think the specials are excellent value.  The half rack of ribs and side were more than enough for me.  I had trouble finishing it but made it through because I loved the flavour so much.

59334da6cc0b7_smokinjoesresize.jpg.6ecbb6057ce305cb60a401378db10263.jpg

This is with the potato salad as a side.  Yum!!!!

• Like 2

The specials do offer a nice value but if you order off special you can see they are definitely looking for the hi-so clientele, not cheap. Personally i think there are better options

11 hours ago, B-Man said:

The specials do offer a nice value but if you order off special you can see they are definitely looking for the hi-so clientele, not cheap. Personally i think there are better options

Please point me in the direction for better BBQ in Pattaya?

Only others I've seen are Rich Man Poor Man in Jomtien and BBQ soi 9 thats far as hell away. 

• Like 1

Both you mentioned are very good, not far for me :)

1 hour ago, expatdude said:

What is BBQ Soi 9?

This one, I couldn't remember the name before.

Oh. My friend had the ribs there and I tasted them. Not good at all to my taste. Maybe it was a bad day. It was like they were boiled and finished on The Grill.

Seems like to some people, fall off the bone is the only criteria (I'm not saying about you, just a general observation). I prefer my ribs like meat not mush, al dente as it were. Boiling or steaming is not barbecue.

I prefer my ribs like meat not mush, al dente as it were

1 hour ago, expatdude said:

Oh. My friend had the ribs there and I tasted them. Not good at all to my taste. Maybe it was a bad day. It was like they were boiled and finished on the grill.

Seems like to some people, fall off the bone is the only criteria (I'm not saying about you, just a general observation). I prefer my ribs like meat not mush, al dente as it were. Boiling or steaming is not barbecue.

Agree Meat that falls off the bone may be preferred by some but means it is overcooked

I have to keep reminding myself its a job :GoldenSmile1:
At Babydolls we are serious about fun

babydollsaddict.gif

Too bad they can't offer a choice of off the bone or not.

They definitely changed to off the bone based on customer demand as the owner said.

But can't please everyone. 

Most traditional BBQ mavens will hold that the meat shouldn't be off the bone. Personally, I agree with Soi7 that meat that literally falls off the is overcooked, but plenty of BBQ eaters would disagree.  Also, "fall off the bone" means different things to different people.  To some, it means what it says- you can lift the bone out of the meat.  To others, it's just another way of saying what my grandmother called "fork tender," i.e., it can be eaten without cutting off the bone but the meat doesn't fall off.

There are BBQ restaurants even in Texas that are proud there ribs fall off the bone. In Dallas:

offthebone1.jpg.9998e16c2592bdb4fed75a4da6c5f319.jpg

One explanation for the popularity of "off the bone" pork ribs is that it's the way most home cooks do spare ribs, so it's what most kids ate while growing up.  Slow cooking ribs over indirect heat takes hours and has to be monitored the whole time, which is difficult for a home cook to do.  As a shortcut, the ribs are parboiled, simmered, boiled or steamed in an oven, then finished over direct high heat.

What would be a three-to-four hour cooking process is reduced to 60 minutes or so.  There is a loss of flavor in the meat, but it isn't as noticeable when slathered in sauce.

As always, it comes down to personal preference.

Evil

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

Love the food at this joint & since the demise of BmB it has become my go to place when I'm in Patts. My only problem is my drinks bill is twice what my food costs. Not the restaurants fault I'm a weak cunt:Drunk1:

www.sugarcanemafia.com

On 2017-6-4 at 07:01, Mognam said:

Just came back from Pattaya last week.  Ate at Smokin' Joe's twice while there.  I loved it.  I think the specials are excellent value.  The half rack of ribs and side were more than enough for me.  I had trouble finishing it but made it through because I loved the flavour so much.

59334da6cc0b7_smokinjoesresize.jpg.6ecbb6057ce305cb60a401378db10263.jpg

This is with the potato salad as a side.  Yum!!!!

We are very glad you enjoyed the Smoked BBQ Ribs and found the portion size more then enough.