IGNORED

Smokin' Joe's BBQ on Soi Lengkee

Evil Penevil

I've had Smokin Joes and I was thoroughly impressed by the whole experience and food.... does anyone know how the food compares to the Smokin Pug in BKK?

I had the Louisiana ribs a coupe of days ago. Wasn't impressed, it was quite dry and expensive as fuck at 395 or so for a half set with mashed potato.

I ate in there several times my last trip ( just go back yesterday :-( 

tried the brisket sandwich . Absolutely Beautiful ( pic is from another bm) I'm sure he won't mind.

i also had the ribs a few nights. Half portion is loads.

I tried the chicken by mistake. I went in slightly shook from the night before and looked at the specials boards. I just pointed and said I will have the special. 

Out comes the chicken dish ten minutes later. I look at her and said I ordered today's special. I said I wanted the ribs ( Tuesday is rib special) she just looked at me and say today WEDNESDAY. LOLOL

anyways the chicken was lovely, I went back the following night for my ribs 

IMG_0639.JPG

• Like 2

1 minute ago, westie1 said:

I ate in there several times my last trip ( just go back yesterday :-( 

tried the brisket sandwich . Absolutely Beautiful ( pic is from another bm) I'm sure he won't mind.

i also had the ribs a few nights. Half portion is loads.

I tried the chicken by mistake. I went in slightly shook from the night before and looked at the specials boards. I just pointed and said I will have the special. 

Out comes the chicken dish ten minutes later. I look at her and said I ordered today's special. I said I wanted the ribs ( Tuesday is rib special) she just looked at me and say today WEDNESDAY. LOLOL

anyways the chicken was lovely, I went back the following night for my ribs 

IMG_0639.JPG

Good thing you weren't flying out on Thursday.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, navidnavid said:

I've had Smokin Joes and I was thoroughly impressed by the whole experience and food.... does anyone know how the food compares to the Smokin Pug in BKK?

I've never eaten at the Smokin' Pug in Bangkok, so I can't offer an opinion.  I  don't get much closer to Bangkok these days than Suvarnabhumi Airport and when I am in the capital city, I generally go for Chinese food, as that's the one major cuisine which is lacking in Pattaya.

But here's what some other BMs said earlier in this thread about SJ vs SP:

On 5/12/2017 at 0:45 PM, Uncle-V said:

Two thumbs up from me and my friend. Not quite as good as Pug in BKK but damned close.

On 6/4/2017 at 5:54 AM, Kbj said:

My thoughts exactly;)

I  have dined with Uncle-V on several occasions and he knows his food.  A very informed opinion!

8 hours ago, westie1 said:

I tried the brisket sandwich . Absolutely Beautiful ( pic is from another bm) I'm sure he won't mind.

No, I don't mind at all. :ThumbUp6:  The pic appeared in the OP of this thread and you simply "quoted" it, which is fine by anyone's standards.

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Like 3

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

7 hours ago, Evil Penevil said:

I've never eaten at the Smokin' Pug in Bangkok, so I can't offer an opinion.  I  don't get much closer to Bangkok these days than Suvarnabhumi Airport and when I am in the capital city, I generally go for Chinese food, as that's the one major cuisine which is lacking in Pattaya.

Evil

So Evil - Always good to read your opinion on Pattaya/Jomtien restaurants. Staying closer to home how would you compare Smokin Joes's to BBQ Prime Time over in Jomtien. I suspect you will say two different animals. 

I have tried Smokin Joes once last February. Have not been to BBQ Prime Time just yet, but will probably do so in September. With regard to Smokin Joe's, I was wow'ed by the beans, ok with the ribs (probably will go for the pulled pork sandwich next time), and underwhelmed by the mac and cheese.

7 hours ago, Evil Penevil said:

Evil

So Evil - Always good to read your opinion on Pattaya/Jomtien restaurants. Staying closer to home how would you compare Smokin Joes's to BBQ Prime Time over in Jomtien. I suspect you will say two different animals. 

I have tried Smokin Joes once last February. Have not been to BBQ Prime Time just yet, but will probably do so in September. With regard to Smokin Joe's, I was wow'ed by the beans, ok with the ribs (probably will go for the pulled pork sandwich next time), and underwhelmed by the mac and cheese.

8 hours ago, Evil Penevil said:

I  have dined with Uncle-V on several occasions and he knows his food.  A very informed opinion!

thanks for the kind words Evil! It's nice to hear coming form the undisputed master food critic here on this board. 

I will be back in late August. Would love to grab a meal and a drink if you are around :)

I will be spending a few days in BKK first, so if you can provide  some recommendation for Chinese food I'd be much obliged. 

Popped in last Tuesday to sample the daily special (ribs).

went for the Tennessee sauce which was a little too sweet for my liking.

my fault entirely, I read the description on the menu, saw Bourbon and thought that's the one for me, without seeing sweet at the bottom. Next time I will choose a different sauce.

Food was fantastic, I went for the mashed potato as a side and ordered the most excellent coleslaw as an extra.

very relaxing place to be in, the interior reminds me of being inside a ship, very pleasant staff, and Wilson Pickett singing away at a very reasonable level.

special mention for the iced lemon tea. The tea is served in a carafe and the lemon juice and sugar/water is served separately so you can adjust it to your taste.

excellent idea.

the Soi hounds also gave a big thumbs for the bones on the walk/stagger home.

excellent place to eat and I hope it continues to do well.

I tried the BBQ beans for the first time in a long time.

They were shockingly too sweet. I guess more for British tastes. You would never get BBQ beans with that much sugar at a self respecting BBQ joint in the U.S.

I understand giving customers what they want such as off the bone meat. But sugar sauce beans? Do the owners really think most customers prefer that? I doubt it. 

• Like 1

On 04/08/2017 at 18:55, Kreggerz said:

I tried the BBQ beans for the first time in a long time.

They were shockingly too sweet. I guess more for British tastes. You would never get BBQ beans with that much sugar at a self respecting BBQ joint in the U.S.

I understand giving customers what they want such as off the bone meat. But sugar sauce beans? Do the owners really think most customers prefer that? I doubt it. 

THe home-made bbq beans are fairly sweet because of the tomato ketchup and a small amount of molasses but I will check they are following the receipt, thanks for the feedback. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steak&co said:

THe home-made bbq beans are fairly sweet because of the tomato ketchup and a small amount of molasses but I will check they are following the receipt, thanks for the feedback. 

Yes, please check it.

My serving wasn't fairly sweet. 

It was like a sugary bean soup and not in a good way. 

On 07/08/2017 at 21:07, Kreggerz said:

Yes, please check it.

My serving wasn't fairly sweet. 

It was like a sugary bean soup and not in a good way. 

We have halved the brown sugar and halved the molasses ... hope that helps (we make big batches so there's usually 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1/4 cup or molasses which is now half that amount). 

Edited by steak&co
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

After reading this earlier today and realising the ribs were the special today I decided to try them. I thought they were very good and the ice tea to your own taste is a great idea and all for 355 Bhat on Tuesdays.
I will be back for sure.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I had dinner in smokin joe's couple of nights back had the special brisket and ribs,first time I've eaten brisket and enjoyed it more than the ribs,in hindsight I wish I had of went for lunch instead as I was stuffed for hours and it hampered my drinking :) will be back for sure.

• 3 weeks later...
Oops I did it again.... so good and only 495 bahtc3d8cb8b3cfe1827841d7705fb697297.jpg cooked to perfection

Oooooh I've done it agaaain, it's even bigger than last time!! Will I be able to finish it?
3cc4e258e72484818838c877782e0ceb.jpgba381c68d53cb777f509092779a0dc9e.jpg

• Like 2

I love Smoking Joe's. Best ribs in town. They are huge for the price. Excellent chips on the side and a great coleslaw.

I have eaten here numerous times since this place opened,I enjoyed my meals the first few times, but, not sure what it is, I just dont seem to like any of the sauces on the ribs much, but the ribs themselves are ok, and definitely a generous serving for the half rack.

I think it was around Thursday last week when I ate there and requested the beans as the optional side, just too sweet for my taste, and the complimentary mayo coleslaw was. I suspect. more than a few days old, as it was quite sour and not fresh that day.

I have tried the dry rub thinking that may be better than the sweet sauces, but alas, it too was just ok.

Being Aussie, I obviously dont have the experience of the Americans in this department, but, I am accustomed to my ribs with far less of a sugary glaze to them.

Still, it is a generous meal for the price and quality of the product served.

On 21/09/2017 at 12:25, bukone said:

I had dinner in smokin joe's couple of nights back had the special brisket and ribs,first time I've eaten brisket and enjoyed it more than the ribs,in hindsight I wish I had of went for lunch instead as I was stuffed for hours and it hampered my drinking :) will be back for sure.

Brisket & Beef Short Rib are my favourite dishes, I'm glad you found something new to enjoy and that one of the main reasons we do the combo plates! Your dead right, it's a big meal. 

7 hours ago, tropicaloz said:

I have eaten here numerous times since this place opened,I enjoyed my meals the first few times, but, not sure what it is, I just dont seem to like any of the sauces on the ribs much, but the ribs themselves are ok, and definitely a generous serving for the half rack.

I think it was around Thursday last week when I ate there and requested the beans as the optional side, just too sweet for my taste, and the complimentary mayo coleslaw was. I suspect. more than a few days old, as it was quite sour and not fresh that day.

I have tried the dry rub thinking that may be better than the sweet sauces, but alas, it too was just ok.

Being Aussie, I obviously dont have the experience of the Americans in this department, but, I am accustomed to my ribs with far less of a sugary glaze to them.

Still, it is a generous meal for the price and quality of the product served.

Thanks for the feedback, I will check they are following the receipts for the sauces. Most are pretty sweet with even the tart-tangy vinegar based sauces requiring brown sugar to be added (per the receipt), the Louisiana sauce (Tabasco based)  and Carolina sauce (Yellow Mustard based) are probably the least sweet sauces but no the less I'm gonna check so thanks for the feedback .. and also the Coleslaw, it is low season and food turnover is lower but it should still be made fresh each day. Jason the manager is the every-day from 5pm - 23.00pm except Thursday and would welcome any feedback first-hand.  

13 hours ago, Bastos60 said:

I love Smoking Joe's. Best ribs in town. They are huge for the price. Excellent chips on the side and a great coleslaw.

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

29 minutes ago, steak&co said:

Thanks for the feedback, I will check they are following the receipts for the sauces. Most are pretty sweet with even the tart-tangy vinegar based sauces requiring brown sugar to be added (per the receipt), the Louisiana sauce (Tabasco based)  and Carolina sauce (Yellow Mustard based) are probably the least sweet sauces but no the less I'm gonna check so thanks for the feedback .. and also the Coleslaw, it is low season and food turnover is lower but it should still be made fresh each day. Jason the manager is the every-day from 5pm - 23.00pm except Thursday and would welcome any feedback first-hand.  

Thanks for your response,

To be fair, I was there early probably 12.20pm at lunch time, so possibly the coleslaw may not have been made yet, not sure, never tried the mustard sauce that might be an option.

Good work on your efforts to please everyone, must be hard.

That looks fucking delicious, I wish I ate that much, I will probably be eating of the kids menu if they have one 555555

• 8 months later...

Haven't been to this place in ages. I was always happy with the food. Are they still keeping up the quality?