IGNORED

Smokin' Joe's BBQ on Soi Lengkee

Evil Penevil

4 minutes ago, Uncle-V said:

Haven't been to this place in ages. I was always happy with the food. Are they still keeping up the quality? 

I ate there a few times in March/April. Always great 

Went here last trip one evening in April about 6pm,had the ribs and brisket combo. Very tasty and a return visit will be on the cards in December.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

Will reach Pattaya in 3 weeks, first place to try! pics look really good.

Going in September, will stop by then. 

Going to try ribs, had the burger last year. Liked it, so will go again

So will I have the burger with bacon and cheese or the ribs? Think I will go there more than 1 time. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Just about to try the smokin Joe burger, smells amazing in here right now, love the beer selection aswell.

Will report back when I finish 

On 7/14/2018 at 16:52, TREX7 said:

Just about to try the smokin Joe burger, smells amazing in here right now, love the beer selection aswell.

Will report back when I finish 

Gee you're a slow eater!

Gee you're a slow eater!
My apologies, l forgot to report back, I'll start with the service was great, waiter was lovely.

burger was great, but not sure it was the one I ordered, as it came with some extra ingredients that some I did like and some I dont, so I referred back to the menu and did not have them listed on my burger.

Not a deal breaker, but would be good to have exactly what I'm going to have on my burger. Anyways, chips and dip were great.

The beer collection was what I liked, a lot to choose from, was great to see.

I'll be back to try the ribs.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Went there tonight with a friend.

We both got the smoked 1/2 chicken which was very good the last time my same friend got it a few weeks ago (it was so huge he shared some with me).

Back then it was hot and juicy and still steaming. This time it was obviously reheated parts of it still cold) and rather dry.   Yesterday the same dish was a special so maybe we were served reheated leftovers. 

This is the third meal I've had there this trip and all have been different levels of disappointing. Brisket way too chewy and ribs were kind of dry with the pulled pork being damned near inedible.  I think SJ's has really fallen off since it opened.

I hate to be this critical but tonight really took the cake. 

Thursday the chicken is on special so if you went on Friday, very well could have been leftovers.

I've had the chicken numerous time. Usually good but one time it was atrocious, texture really weird, and I did mention it to the wait staff and they didn't seem surprised. 

Suggest going on Thursdays for the chicken, earlier than later. 

Another tip -- don't order the mashed potatoes. 

Edited by Kreggerz

I actually stopped by this place while looking for some decent BBQ. I would not recommend the pulled pork; it was incredibly dry and tough. The sauce selection also left a lot to be desired.

At least the ribs were edible

On 7/4/2017 at 20:52, navidnavid said:

Incredible value here folks.... in BKK my bill would have been well over 1000 baht...

The big question is “did the pretty waitress fuck you for free in the men’s room “ ?

I like their mac n' cheese. Not really American style but quite good. 

On 20/07/2018 at 22:12, Kreggerz said:

Thursday the chicken is on special so if you went on Friday, very well could have been leftovers.

I've had the chicken numerous time. Usually good but one time it was atrocious, texture really weird, and I did mention it to the wait staff and they didn't seem surprised. 

Suggest going on Thursdays for the chicken, earlier than later. 

Another tip -- don't order the mashed potatoes. 

Thanks for the feedback, I will check that they are following the same process about brine the chicken before smoking, it's possible that our supplier gave us an old chicken I guess, either which way sorry and I'll personally taste the next batch we brine & smoke, like you said its 'usually spot on' ... I will taste the mashed potatoes tonight, the type available in Thailand (waxy) doesnt make the best mash but it should be 'pretty acceptable' 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, tenpro said:

I actually stopped by this place while looking for some decent BBQ. I would not recommend the pulled pork; it was incredibly dry and tough. The sauce selection also left a lot to be desired.

At least the ribs were edible

Thanks again for the feedback, low season things don't sell through as quickly and the pork butt's we use for Pulled pork are pretty large, that or the check potentially re-heated it too long (It's smoked for many hours, rested, shredded and portioned) .. again I'll check they are resting the pork butt. Sorry about that :-(   

BBQ really is best off the smoker and kept warm, thats why BBQ joints in the States have very limited menu's ... here in Pattaya we don't have enough people / demand thus we have diversified into Tex-Mex and things get portioned and reheated.  

• Like 2

Check the mashed potatoes, seems they was 'hand mashing' the potatoes rather then using the 'mashed potato mouli' which makes a much smoother mash and not adding a little butter, it should be better going forward. The pulled pork is left wrapped for 3-4 hours before shredding, so I guess it was re-heated too long, they have been told to be more careful / consistent. 

• Like 2

Following the recommendations I gave it a try too. Sorry to say, nothing special for the price.

12 hours ago, Mike056 said:

Following the recommendations I gave it a try too. Sorry to say, nothing special for the price.

Thanks for the feedback, I'm gonna take a look at the menu and 'reduce' it by 30% which will give the chef's more time to focus on the detail, I'm considering cutting all the Mexican dishes and introducing fried chicken instead, over-all we haven't had complains about the food and the business has grown 30%-40% since opening 18 months ago but we do need to make some changes before high-season comes.     

Do less but do it better.... thanks again for trying us and the feedback, we will aim to do better.  (BBQ, Burgers & Fried Chicken) 

Edited by steak&co
  • Like 3

I tried this place in Nov last year after noticing it while on a walk one day.

I wasn't in the mood for a full size meal so opted for the appetizer of chicken tenders with a side of fries and coleslaw. Glad I didn't order a main meal as this was more than enough for me.

I returned 3 more times during my trip and never disappointed each time.

Lovely clean place, happy staff and a nice touch with the plate of nachos to snack on while looking at the menu.

Thumbs up from me.

Have just good things to say about the Baconcheeseburger.

Will have it in September. And maybe  try the ribs another day.

Edited by jones78

14 hours ago, Mike056 said:

1 hour ago, Mike056 said:

It was not a complaint. Yes, it was Mexican.

Given that Mexican food, as experienced close to Mexico, requires Mexican cooks and appropriate ingredients, why does Mexican food served abroad (or other food) have to be "special for the price?" What's wrong with an honest offering for the price? 

I've had Mexican food while traveling in Spain and Hong Kong and while "OK" it isn't quite the same as the Tex Mex I prefer. Personal choice to order it or not.

If living abroad I'd take what Mexican food is available (or fix it at home myself) and refrain from unrealistic expectations. 

Edited by CyberPro