IGNORED

Smokin' Joe's BBQ on Soi Lengkee

Evil Penevil

So our 4th visit, the our being my manager David and me. On this occasion we wanted to sample it all to see what improvements had been made. Therefore we foolishly ordered the Smokin Joe's Feast at something like 999 baht, it consisted of half a smoked chicken, a half rack of ribs, pulled pork, brisket plus 4 sides = potato salad, BBQ beans, chips and onion rings. The minute it arrived we knew we were in trouble;

attachicon.gifsmokin joes.jpg

Now the picture may not show it but this was a large plate and the ribs were supported by an abundance of pulled pork and even more brisket. David as people who have been to the Den will certify is a substantial man but we both sat back in awe. This plate held enough meat to feed 4 hungry men, without the sides.

Ok to the subject in hand, the ribs had if it were possible improved on our last visit SJ's get an "A" on the ribs. The chicken was moist and full of flavour and my American friend declared it on par with the ribs, "A". The pulled pork was so delicious we both wanted to get a french loaf, fill it with the pork and we would have been well satisfied with just that, "A" The beans of which there has been much debate were a 100% improvement from when we last tried them, they were too sweet for my taste but there were none left by the time we finished, "B-" as it was to sweet for me and I was paying.

Now to the brisket, last time we found it tough and felt it needed cooking longer as there was still too much fat in it, at the time we gave it a "C-" This time it would have made a healthy "A" except it was cut to thick, some of it was cut thinner and the difference was very noticeable, due to that we dropped the brisket to a "B"

Everything that was suppose to be hot was piping hot so another "A"

David took enough away in a box to cover his late night dinner when watching a movie at home later.

The place was full the whole time we were there and the staff were busy but seemed to get everything right with a smile.

It does not need it but I wholly recommend Smokin Joe's

Now Skalliwag you are so going to crush those ribs when you get here, how about a rib crushing with my proxy champion David :Evil_Grin2:

Jesus Christ.

I think I'm in a world of hurt.

Mate,I'm not one to back down from a challenge.Lets get it on.:)

Great review BtW.

Edited by Skalliwag

Returned for another go and like another member mentioned, yes the BBQ beans have improved. They are not soupy anymore and the flavor is getting there, but as another member mentioned too much sugar. American beans with BBQ should just not be that sweet. People are used to sugary beans from cans but that's a different thing.

The portion of BBQ sauce has not increased and definitely not enough.

Returned for another go and like another member mentioned, yes the BBQ beans have improved. They are not soupy anymore and the flavor is getting there, but as another member mentioned too much sugar. American beans with BBQ should just not be that sweet. People are used to sugary beans from cans but that's a different thing.

The portion of BBQ sauce has not increased and definitely not enough.

I love ribs, and I love bbq sauce.  If there is not more than enough sauce I am not a happy camper.   Love them at RMPM, loaded with great sauce.   I will give this place a try, menu and food looks great.... I love bbq

Yes, I had thought the owner said he was going to increase the sauce portion. I can't see every plate but in my case, very recently it was exactly the same absurdly tiny portion. That doesn't mean that's going to be everyone's experience. How could anyone know unless they were watching the kitchen all day? It's not about the cup size (which I don't even notice) but the actual portion of sauce in whatever size cup it's served in.

Also the owner had said that orders that aren't Memphis style (supposedly dry rub but really not authentic) the ribs would be given a last dip step in some sauce before serving. Well, in my case the ribs were just as dry as the Memphis and that step obviously wasn't done. So not only a tiny portion of sauce but no trace of sauce whatsoever on the ribs.

Details matter. 

It's a potentially great place for sure, but wow, those details need some work. 

Yes, I had thought the owner said he was going to increase the sauce portion. I can't see every plate but in my case, very recently it was exactly the same absurdly tiny portion. That doesn't mean that's going to be everyone's experience. How could anyone know unless they were watching the kitchen all day? It's not about the cup size (which I don't even notice) but the actual portion of sauce in whatever size cup it's served in.

Also the owner had said that orders that aren't Memphis style (supposedly dry rub but really not authentic) the ribs would be given a last dip step in some sauce before serving. Well, in my case the ribs were just as dry as the Memphis and that step obviously wasn't done. So not only a tiny portion of sauce but no trace of sauce whatsoever on the ribs.

Details matter. 

It's a potentially great place for sure, but wow, those details need some work. 

this is where so many restaurant owners go wrong, not much money for some more sauce and yet they hold it back, and then lose a customer.  Sauce goes with ribs, lose 10 baht on giving more, rather than lose a customer Very silly. 

very hard to get a customer, very easy to lose one

Here are the ribs I eat often, plenty of sauce

Ribs Mac & cheese.JPG

I will definitely try this place out, looks fantastic, but if I go and the ribs are dry I wont be back. 

Edit:  Just thinking about this, 4 of us went to American BBQ on threpprasit a few years ago.   We each ordered a full rack of ribs.  They came out and hardly any sauce on them, and we asked the waitress for more.  The owner than came to the table, looked at our ribs and said "you have enough" and walked away.  We never went back and we would have gone weekly.   That place is now an aquarium store, som nam na

Edited by just hanging

Can somebody, please, explain to me why is is so difficult to simply ask the wait staff for an extra side of sauce?

Given the responses Ian has given on the subject of sauce, I'm quite certain that such a request would be quickly accommodated.

StrikeEagle
"When you care enough to send the Best in the World"

Pussy Prices IMO, Beach Road (Coconut Bar) ST 500 - 800; LT 1000-1500, May be similar in Bamboo and PBG or slightly dearer: Bars and some massage places, bar fine 300-400; ST 800 - 1000; LT 1000-2000, may be cheaper later in the evening: Agogos, bar fine ST 700 - 1000 bar fine  LT 1500 ST 1500-2000, LT 2000-3500: IBar, Insomnia, other Discos, early  expensive getting cheaper as sunrise approaches but 1000-3000 depending: Feel free to PM me with updates

Can somebody, please, explain to me why is is so difficult to simply ask the wait staff for an extra side of sauce?

Given the responses Ian has given on the subject of sauce, I'm quite certain that such a request would be quickly accommodated.

Hahahahaha,it's fucking amazing isn't it?

Ding,ding,ding...give this man a cigar.

Fuck me.I'm exasperated.

• Like 3

Hahahahaha,it's fucking amazing isn't it?

Ding,ding,ding...give this man a cigar.

Fuck me.I'm exasperated.

Yep we asked, we received, didn't think anyone had to be told that. Better portion control to give those in need more whilst others like myself find the original portion ample. As opposed to giving portion with a high waste ratio adding to costs and therefore ultimately charges.

Edited by Cerberus
  • Like 3

Yep we asked, we received, didn't think anyone had to be told that. Better portion control to give those in need more whilst others like myself find the original portion ample. As opposed to giving portion with a high waste ratio adding to costs and therefore ultimately charges.

No shit hey?

Wow,who woulda thought?

if they give you more when you ask all good.   reading post #29 it looked to me like he wanted more sauce and they said thats it.   I could have read it wrong, so maybe the poster can let us know

"Also the owner had said that orders that aren't Memphis style (supposedly dry rub but really not authentic) the ribs would be given a last dip step in some sauce before serving. Well, in my case the ribs were just as dry as the Memphis and that step obviously wasn't done. So not only a tiny portion of sauce but no trace of sauce whatsoever on the ribs"

if they give you more when you ask all good. reading post #29 it looked to me like he wanted more sauce and they said thats it. I could have read it wrong, so maybe the poster can let us know

"Also the owner had said that orders that aren't Memphis style (supposedly dry rub but really not authentic) the ribs would be given a last dip step in some sauce before serving. Well, in my case the ribs were just as dry as the Memphis and that step obviously wasn't done. So not only a tiny portion of sauce but no trace of sauce whatsoever on the ribs"

This particular BM seems to be the only one to experience an issue with lack of sauce being cooked onto his order.

As for his criticism regarding authenticity, I would suggest he is simply mistaken. Memphis Style Ribs are dry rubbed and served with either no sauce or with a small amount of sauce on the side. Tennessee style sauce is similar to KC style but thinner.

Kansas City style ribs are dry rubbed and then have a sweet/spicy sauce cooked onto the ribs as a final glaze. This sauce is generally a thick, tomato based sauce.

The Carolinas have either a Mustard based or Vinegar based sauce variation, and the ribs normally have a dry rub applied during cooking as well. The sauces are most frequently applied as a thin mop sauce during cooking, with a portion served on the side at the table.

Texans don't generally do pork ribs. Most Texas BBQ is Beef (brisket or beef Ribs) with only a thin mop sauce applied to help keep the meat moist during the cooking process. Asking for sauce on the side in Texas is considered an insult as it implies that the meat is dry.

IMHO Smokin Joe's is making a Herculean effort to offer an incredible variety of authentic American BBQ options to a market that is Thousands of miles from it's homeland. As a KCBS AND IBCA Member, I applaud the efforts being made by Ian and his staff. And, I'm excited to give this new restaurant a visit on my next trip.

StrikeEagle
"When you care enough to send the Best in the World"

Pussy Prices IMO, Beach Road (Coconut Bar) ST 500 - 800; LT 1000-1500, May be similar in Bamboo and PBG or slightly dearer: Bars and some massage places, bar fine 300-400; ST 800 - 1000; LT 1000-2000, may be cheaper later in the evening: Agogos, bar fine ST 700 - 1000 bar fine  LT 1500 ST 1500-2000, LT 2000-3500: IBar, Insomnia, other Discos, early  expensive getting cheaper as sunrise approaches but 1000-3000 depending: Feel free to PM me with updates

I will try again but let me clarify because people seem very confused and in irrational denial that there is a real problem at this restaurant, when actually there really is. 

The Memphis on the menu is just the exact ribs that are served with all other flavors.

Actual Memphis style rubs dry style would have a visible rub.

They don't at Joes.

The Memphis flavor on their menu is promoted as a dry Memphis style.

In Memphis you get a choice of wet or dry.

If you order dry, you would expect a visible rub (which I showed a picture of before on the owner's thread.)

That's OK, now people know what they serve. You're not going to get an authentic visible dry rub. Not the menu crime of the century. Just information for you. 

Nobody is expecting full authenticity here and there are lots of other choices.

I think it would have been better to not offer Memphis dry at all if it's not being done, but that's up to the restaurant of course.

Later I ordered another flavor of ribs, and on the owner's thread the owner said all flavors except Memphis get a last step where some sauce is directly applied to the ribs.

What I'm saying is if that is really true, then watch out, because there are obviously problems with consistency in the kitchen, because on a non-Memphis flavor (where you wouldn't expect that extra step) the kitchen didn't do it. 

I can't possibly know how often they make that mistake.

I can't possibly know how often they serve a ridiculously tiny portion of side sauce. Can I?

Multiple other members have also experienced tiny portions of side sauces on non-Memphis orders. 

If you didn't, either you were lucky or those who got the micro portions were unlucky.

But it's obvious to me, as happens so often in Thailand, that there is an inconsistency problem in the kitchen there.

It's a new restaurant still and problems are to be expected.

But hopefully in future everyone that orders a non-Memphis flavor of ribs will get ribs that get the last saucing on the ribs step that the owner said they do.

I will try again for sure. The rib meat is good. These are relatively minor problems with relatively easy fixes. Serve more sauce. Make sure the kitchen doesn't mess up and get lazy with the promised saucing step. 

I do ask the owner to fix this. The prices aren't cheap there and people deserve to get served what they ordered. Ribs with the flavoring. 

Numerous posts on wanting free bread and now its more sauce, all though if there isn't enough guys can ask for more and will get it at no extra charge.

This is the business owners thread    http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/307246-smokin-joes-bbq-in-soi-lengkee/page-4                and seems to have been ditched in favor of this one now.

Why was it ditched ?, maybe it was because us guys stopped reading it due to all the "helpful advice" that we were not reading it for but was monopolising it.

If it continues here the result will be the same.

This is a restaurant review topic of Smokin Joes and that's all virtually all of us want to see here. Direct reviews of the food they ate there and with photos of it really helps.

Just to remind people, because it seems to have been snowed in, this is the menu

post-38345-0-18610900-1480948621.jpg 

post-38345-0-33106100-1480948660.jpg

post-38345-0-38594100-1480948698.jpg

post-38345-0-34772300-1480948732.jpg

post-38345-0-89183800-1480948761.jpg

Looks great !

I was in for lunch last week on Tuesday, and had the special. And damn, I did not realise a "half rack" meant that much meat.

It was so horribly tasty that I simply had to finish, though. And then I spent half a day feeling off and having weird sweats on account of eating far too much. But it was completely worth it.

• Like 4

Right.

My direct reviews of the food I ate there included two experiences with the ribs.

The Memphis style was not as described on the menu.

Referring to the menu the Memphis style is described:

No sauce just our Memphis dust BBQ rub

which to those that don't understand is a dry rub.

It also came with a tiny portion of side sauce which I assume was the Tennessee flavor which is another menu choice as it tasted of Bourbon.

The owner later explained there is nothing special done on the Memphis choice. All of the ribs have the exact same dry rub as the Memphis choice.

The dry rub is not visible as it would on an authentic version of Memphis style dry rub BBQ ribs.

Actual Memphis dry rub would be a distinctive dry rub of Memphis style spices. It wouldn't be the same "dry rub" as you'd get for example as the base ribs South Carolina style. 

That's fine. Now people know what they will get when they order that choice at this restaurant.

I don't think the fact that they really don't serve Memphis style dry rub ribs is a big deal at all. That is, unless, you order it and expect to get it, which you won't.

So I'm helping y'all know what you will get there if you order Memphis style.  

The second time I got another flavor.

Refer to the menu. 
See the word slathered on all the rib flavors except Memphis?

As the owner explained, non-Memphis choices are supposed to receive the step of the slathering before being served.

My choice (the non-Memphis) time most certainly received no slather. 

I am curious for everyone reviewing the ribs there, when they order any choice but Memphis.

Please share your review about whether your order ribs were slathered with sauce. Keep in mind they shouldn't be with their Memphis choice, but should be for all other choices.

As far as the side cup of BBQ sauce served with all flavors (including Memphis in my experience) both times the portion was very tiny. Multiple people have mentioned that exact same thing in their reviews.

I am also looking forward to further reviews and also of course more consistency from this restaurant. Doesn't everyone agree that if the menu says the ribs are slathered and the owner says they're supposed to be slathered (confirming the menu) they should bloody well be slathered? Is that really such a big ask?

Easy to fix you would think!

I thought the sauce portions were fine. If the ribs are not smoked then I need them to be drenched in sauce. If the ribs have a nice smokey flavor I prefer tasting that more then BBQ sauce. Everybody is different on that I guess.

I went back in and had the brisket and ribs. The brisket was decent but I think the ribs are better. I'll be back on Sunday for the ribs brisket 499 special.

Right.

My direct reviews of the food I ate there included two experiences with the ribs.

The Memphis style was not as described on the menu.

Referring to the menu the Memphis style is described:

No sauce just our Memphis dust BBQ rub

which to those that don't understand is a dry rub.

It also came with a tiny portion of side sauce which I assume was the Tennessee flavor which is another menu choice as it tasted of Bourbon.

The owner later explained there is nothing special done on the Memphis choice. All of the ribs have the exact same dry rub as the Memphis choice.

The dry rub is not visible as it would on an authentic version of Memphis style dry rub BBQ ribs.

Actual Memphis dry rub would be a distinctive dry rub of Memphis style spices. It wouldn't be the same "dry rub" as you'd get for example as the base ribs South Carolina style.

That's fine. Now people know what they will get when they order that choice at this restaurant.

I don't think the fact that they really don't serve Memphis style dry rub ribs is a big deal at all. That is, unless, you order it and expect to get it, which you won't.

So I'm helping y'all know what you will get there if you order Memphis style.

The second time I got another flavor.

Refer to the menu.

See the word slathered on all the rib flavors except Memphis?

As the owner explained, non-Memphis choices are supposed to receive the step of the slathering before being served.

My choice (the non-Memphis) time most certainly received no slather.

I am curious for everyone reviewing the ribs there, when they order any choice but Memphis.

Please share your review about whether your order ribs were slathered with sauce. Keep in mind they shouldn't be with their Memphis choice, but should be for all other choices.

As far as the side cup of BBQ sauce served with all flavors (including Memphis in my experience) both times the portion was very tiny. Multiple people have mentioned that exact same thing in their reviews.

I am also looking forward to further reviews and also of course more consistency from this restaurant. Doesn't everyone agree that if the menu says the ribs are slathered and the owner says they're supposed to be slathered (confirming the menu) they should bloody well be slathered? Is that really such a big ask?

Easy to fix you would think!

You sure are a pessimistic chap

Just ask for more sauce maybe?

++ look on the positive small amount of sauce you do not need any bread.

Edited by Pheat
  • Like 2

I was in for lunch last week on Tuesday, and had the special. And damn, I did not realise a "half rack" meant that much meat.

It was so horribly tasty that I simply had to finish, though. And then I spent half a day feeling off and having weird sweats on account of eating far too much. But it was completely worth it.

Just had the brisket sandwich was absolutely delicious

+The side order of French fries and coleslaw were spot on

I paid just over 300 Baht inc a soda fantastic value for the quality of the meal

• Like 4

You sure are a pessimistic chap

Just ask for more sauce maybe?

++ look on the positive small amount of sauce you do not need any bread.

I doubt you read my post. Instead you go on the attack.

I am pointing out a real problem that really should be fixed.

The menu says that all flavors of ribs (except Memphis) are slathered with sauce before serving.

That's a totally separate thing from the side cup of sauce. 

That impacts on the flavor of the dish itself in a significant way. 

On the owners thread, the owner clearly confirmed this important detail -- that all rib flavors (except Memphis) go through this step of slathering directly on the ribs before serving.

I have had ribs twice there.

One time Memphis which was dry ribs as expected (but not really a visible dry rub as expected). 

Forget the Memphis and focus on what I'm saying.

The second time I had ribs there, not Memphis, they were also served totally dry. 

That is not how the owner said is their policy.

So there is likely a problem in the kitchen, right?

The owner can't watch all orders.

As it happened to me, there is no way I am the only person that ordered a non-Memphis flavor and didn't get what the menu (and owner) has promised.

I want others to report in their reviews whether their (non-Memphis) order came with the slathering step or totally dry, as I got it.

Again, I realize many people don't like my attitude, and think the owner is always right. Think about this some more. The owner himself said they're doing this. That means the owner wants them to do this. I'm  suggesting that customers deserve what they're paying for and what the owner says is their process.

I don't see any excuse going forward for this not to be fixed, unless the owner does a 180 and says they've changed their minds and won't be slathering the ribs as the menu promises. 

What's negative about trying to get customers what's promised on the menu and confirmed by the owner that it is indeed their policy to slather all ribs directly (except for Memphis)?

In my view, that's positive and helpful.

It's a new restaurant. 

There are always staff and inconsistency issues especially in Thailand. 

This isn't hard to fix. Why not support in encouraging the owner to fix it instead of focusing on dislike of my style, without even considering specifically what I'm saying?

I tried this place out tonight.

The ribs are HUGE. I wanted to order the full rack but the waitress said half would be enough.

I Will definitely be back

I tried this place out tonight.

The ribs are HUGE. I wanted to order the full rack but the waitress said half would be enough.

I Will definitely be back

Assuming you got a flavor other than Memphis, were your ribs served with a slather of sauce as promised on the menu and confirmed by the owner as their policy, or were they served dry? Again, not talking about the side cup of sauce but the ribs themselves.

Thanks for the information. 

I want to ask everyone providing reviews of the ribs (not Memphis) to say whether their order had the slather or whether they experienced the same kitchen mistake that happened to me. I can't believe I was the only one.  

Numerous posts on wanting free bread and now its more sauce, all though if there isn't enough guys can ask for more and will get it at no extra charge.

This is the business owners thread    http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/307246-smokin-joes-bbq-in-soi-lengkee/page-4                and seems to have been ditched in favor of this one now.

Why was it ditched ?, maybe it was because us guys stopped reading it due to all the "helpful advice" that we were not reading it for but was monopolising it.

If it continues here the result will be the same.

This is a restaurant review topic of Smokin Joes and that's all virtually all of us want to see here. Direct reviews of the food they ate there and with photos of it really helps.

Just to remind people, because it seems to have been snowed in, this is the menu

post-38345-0-18610900-1480948621.jpg

post-38345-0-33106100-1480948660.jpg

post-38345-0-38594100-1480948698.jpg

post-38345-0-34772300-1480948732.jpg

post-38345-0-89183800-1480948761.jpg

Looks great !

the Beef ribs are not on that Menu but are on the Menu in the Restaurant at 1999 Baht for those interested

I have to keep reminding myself its a job :GoldenSmile1:
At Babydolls we are serious about fun

babydollsaddict.gif

I tell you what I am gonna have.

A Vanilla milkshake...with some Sambuca in it.

Sambuca shakes are the best.

Will definitely try this place out in 8 weeks.