IGNORED

Wok n Rok

Wok N Rok

Sounds like you have a one-in-a-million partner. You both deserve better than trying to swim upstream with staff whose values conflict with yours. 

Thanks for all the informative posts and mouth-watering pictures of your wife's creations. Best of luck to you and your family. 

Cheers mate. Yes, she's amazingly talented at Chinese cooking. And Western, Indian dishes for that matter. The Indian next door to the last Chinese she worked used to swap processes and recipes with Ouy. Lol, I don't think the Chinese knew:) Indian is my fave food. Why She did it.

Anyhow, I don't want the same thing to happen as before. She hires staff, finds out they can't learn wok skills or cooking but keeps them to help out. All the pressure back on her to cook. It's hot and fast work at that wok burner. While the others stood around and watched. We had a ridiculous situation going on. 5 in the kitchen and only Ouy cooking. 40,000 Baht wages for closing a takeaway container and cleaning up. Lol.

Looking at a few options that might come off. Since announcing this she's had 2 offers of possible business enterprises. If they fall through we shall most definitely leave. Looking at a few takeaways in England and one in Dublin that's up for sale.  

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheers mate. Yes, she's amazingly talented at Chinese cooking. And Western, Indian dishes for that matter. The Indian next door to the last Chinese she worked used to swap processes and recipes with Ouy. Lol, I don't think the Chinese knew:) Indian is my fave food. Why She did it.

Anyhow, I don't want the same thing to happen as before. She hires staff, finds out they can't learn wok skills or cooking but keeps them to help out. All the pressure back on her to cook. It's hot and fast work at that wok burner. While the others stood around and watched. We had a ridiculous situation going on. 5 in the kitchen and only Ouy cooking. 40,000 Baht wages for closing a takeaway container and cleaning up. Lol.

Looking at a few options that might come off. Since announcing this she's had 2 offers of possible business enterprises. If they fall through we shall most definitely leave. Looking at a few takeaways in England and one in Dublin that's up for sale.

Real shame

Your wife is a top cook

Eaten many times at W&R

I will miss not being able to go,to W&R for my English Chinese fix when in Patts

But onwards and upwards

I,m sure you will land on your feet somewhere

Man, that's just sad. Especially since the actual cooking where Chinese food is concerned only takes minutes. I mean, if I have to cook for a look of people, I'll do Chinese. Sure prep work takes a lot of time, but when it's time to cook you only need the stove going full nuclear heat and a pan/wok that can tolerate and spread that heat.

Can't get any staff mate. Nobody wants a 10,000 Baht basic here. Nobody wants a kitchen job here. 

The thing with Chinese food is there's so much preperation and time goes into the prep it's kind of unique. She's been taking sit in orders here, answering the phone. Doing all the prep and cleaning up, cooking, packing and delivering. She's been working an 80 hour week herself. 

She is a great Western Chinese cook but without a pair of hands helping out, it's impossible. It's not like flipping a burger at a hamburger stand. 

Anyhow, she is sickened by Her experience here and the attitudes of the locals. She wants to go Home as soon as She can. Maybe a miracle will happen but I doubt it. 

wouldn't in make sense if you are making say 150,000 baht a month and open to pay someone say 10,000 more a month to stay, you will still make 140,000 baht, which is still 140,000 more then you make closed. You admit it is a hard job and not everyone who wants to work hard can do it, the skill level is harder then people think. I really do not see you or your wife working for 10,000 baht a month or even close to that. So you had to be making closer to the 150,000 or more. back when I owned my pizza shop in the 90's I made 10,000 USD a month and if my main cook wanted a $500 raise or he was leaving, guess who go the raise. I could survive on $9500 a month. 

WHEN IN THAILAND NEVER TRUST YOUR FARTS. :68: 

IT MAY BE A SQUIRT NOT JUST A FART. :SoWhat1: 

esSY2m9.gif

My Facebook.

I like to play Jenga on the first date. So she knows my pull out game is strong  :LMFAO: 

• 2 weeks later...

Dear P.A. for your information.

We are building a box! A box that will become a mini Chinese takeaway kitchen. The Wok N Rok 'takeaway box' will be

stationed in a busy area with high foot traffic.

It will open until 3am.

The takeaway box will be selling the Chinese takeaway best sellers. But the good news is the meals will all be in large 650ml containers.

Which will include egg fried or boiled rice.

Here are a couple of examples what you will be able to buy and order from us.

I will keep you updated. Nearer the opening I will tell you the location and put a menu with prices up.

Cheers lads. 

CurryUse.jpeg

Saltchili.jpeg

SS_En.jpeg

Good news! I've been missing the food, but I leave in a week so I'm guessing I'll miss the grand opening.

Dear P.A. for your information.

We are building a box! A box that will become a mini Chinese takeaway kitchen. The Wok N Rok 'takeaway box' will be

It will open until 3am.

The takeaway box will be selling the Chinese takeaway best sellers. But the good news is the meals will all be in large 650ml containers.

Here are a couple of examples what you will be able to buy and order from us.

I will keep you updated. Nearer the opening I will tell you the location and put a menu with prices up.

Cheers lads. 

attachicon.gifCurryUse.jpeg

attachicon.gifSaltchili.jpeg

attachicon.gifSS_En.jpeg

Will your delivery service be available in March?

It will open until 3am.

Sounds like a great idea. Best of luck on that. :) 

Sounds like a great idea. Best of luck on that. :)

I hope so. It's not a lot of investment and it just might do well.

We thought long and hard about this. We don't want the same problems we faced with a restaurant. Ouy has been in touch with friends back Home that has a Chinese restaurant and they have told her step by step how they do their buffet preparation. She will do all the prep in the day time and this will make for a very fast meal service. Just a flash cook in the wok and the food will be in the container.

Low overheads and She will have an assistant but will be able to operate it by herself if not.

That's the plan.

The meals will cost between 149 - 165 Baht.  It's a big eat. A 650ml box tightly packed with your favourite Chinese food. The quality will be high. No cutting corners.

The menu is not complete but all the favourite dishes will be there. And if it's not there, customers can request what they want if they give notice and buy in bulk. They can freeze the meals.

So u decided against moving to Ireland then mate?

Glad to see your giving it another shot. Hopefully you have better luck with the pop up take away than the fixed one.

Great to see you guys are getting up and on your feet and have given away the stress of the kitchen. I can not imagine how frustrating it would be for both you and your wife to have to deal with the revolving door of lazy disinterested staff. I really hope the new venture is a total success and, as always, feel free to pm me if you need absolutely anything at all. Next trip will likely be June.

Cheers Mate.

Over the next few day's I'll be posting images of some of the menu. What will be available when the takeaway stand opens.

Number 16 and number 21 from the 'ribs n rice' and 'ribs n chips' section.

Spare ribs in Chinese BBQ sauce. Salt and chili  spare ribs with boiled rice, topped with curry sauce.

The meals with chips priced at 165 Baht. The meals with boiled rice priced at 149 Baht.

BBQ_Sauce.jpeg

ribsenh.jpeg

BBQ_Sauce.jpeg

ribsenh.jpeg

So u decided against moving to Ireland then mate?

Glad to see your giving it another shot. Hopefully you have better luck with the pop up take away than the fixed one.

Haha, well almost. We were ready to book flights Home after a planned holiday and my friend called me. Told me it was frozen and stormy. Bins blowing around the place. I thought 'bugger that' maybe we'll stick around a while:)

Nothing's permanent here though, I understand that. If the stand does well it can be sold. Should we want to go Home. 

Another three takeaway favourites that will be om the menu.

Sweet and sour chicken balls with chips. Chicken satay. Salt and chili chips.

3baefe69_o.jpeg

satayENH.jpeg

Chili_EN.jpeg

Another three takeaway faourites that will be om the menu.

Sweet and sour chicken balls with chips. Chicken satay. Salt and chili chips.

attachicon.gif3baefe69_o.jpeg

attachicon.gifsatayENH.jpeg

attachicon.gifChili_EN.jpeg

Roll on next month

Great takeaway food early into the morning, sounds good to me. As you say low overheads and no liqueur licence.

My Pattaya budget is perfectly adequate as long as I don't spend any of it

Great takeaway food early into the morning, sounds good to me. As you say low overheads and no liqueur licence.

I never said no drinks licence:)

The idea is to try and give the customers a decent size portion, at a great price. With the quality (if not better) than they get back home. And of course it could be a one person operation should She struggle to find a helper. As before.

These are called 'quick meals' amongst other names in Chinese takeaway's back home and retail around £5.

We plan to sell these between 149 - 165 Baht for the main meals.

Hopefully with the location and quality of the food she will be busy! But, let's wait and see.

The takeaway box will open from 7pm - 3am and customers can of course take the food into the surrounding bars and eat, drink at the same time.

Haha, well almost. We were ready to book flights Home after a planned holiday and my friend called me. Told me it was frozen and stormy. Bins blowing around the place. I thought 'bugger that' maybe we'll stick around a while:)

Nothing's permanent here though, I understand that. If the stand does well it can be sold. Should we want to go Home.

It's shit here at the moment. Spring my arse.

It's like winter.

So you can get a SML whilst ordering ?

My Pattaya budget is perfectly adequate as long as I don't spend any of it

seems a decent idea ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, id guess you will set up either near Made in Thailand complex or soi diana/bauckow corner !

let me know , i hope to be there next month

best of luck !

( if i am right with the location , do i get the prize ??) :hello09: :hello09: :hello09:

You shouldn't be allowed to post photos like that until your open... It's just a tease

I work hard to support those on benefits! :Banghead2:

Archived