Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Wok n Rok

Wok N Rok

There's a double special on today. Wok N Rok kitchen at Mates bar.
This is the third Kung Pao chicken version that Ouy knows how to cook. Popular in the UK. It is spicy, sweet and has a full, smokey flavour to it. The first time She's cooked this in Thailand as the recipe uses sauces not available here.
Chicken curry. Made with the Wok N Rok curry sauce. Both specials come with egg fried rice or chips.
205 Baht.
Tel: 092 969 4119

Kung_Pao.jpeg

Curry_USE.jpeg

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes to the first question and I'll bet you anything they ar NOT Chinese Sichuan peppercorn.

The 'Hand' brand manufactures most Chinese copies here. And it is a copy. For sure. Nothing like the real deal mate.

Thanks. I may buy a bag someday and check it myself. Yes, I know the difference. 

The Wok N Rok kitchen on Soi Baukhao is closed today. It will be closed until further notice. Ouy doesn't want to continue this herself. Cooking, cleaning, ordering and delivering.

Unless She finds a kitchen help soon I don't think She will cook Chinese food again in Pattaya. Or maybe Thailand for that matter.

Thanks to everybody on the forum who supported Wok N Rok. I really appreciate it. And so does Ouy.

Cheers guys.

The Wok N Rok kitchen on Soi Baukhao is closed today. It will be closed until further notice. Ouy doesn't want to continue this herself. Cooking, cleaning, ordering and delivering.

Unless She finds a kitchen help soon I don't think She will cook Chinese food again in Pattaya. Or maybe Thailand for that matter.

Thanks to everybody on the forum who supported Wok N Rok. I really appreciate it. And so does Ouy.

Cheers guys.

That is sad to hear, your wife's food is fantastic.

As a stand alone restaurant, I think she would make a killing. It's seriously a shame you are unable to get decent staff, get her out from a small bar kitchen into a nice big one, and have a much bigger customer base.

That is sad to hear, your wife's food is fantastic.

As a stand alone restaurant, I think she would make a killing. It's seriously a shame you are unable to get decent staff, get her out from a small bar kitchen into a nice big one, and have a much bigger customer base.

Can't get any staff mate. Nobody wants a 10,000 Baht basic here. Nobody wants a kitchen job here. 

The thing with Chinese food is there's so much preperation and time goes into the prep it's kind of unique. She's been taking sit in orders here, answering the phone. Doing all the prep and cleaning up, cooking, packing and delivering. She's been working an 80 hour week herself. 

She is a great Western Chinese cook but without a pair of hands helping out, it's impossible. It's not like flipping a burger at a hamburger stand. 

Anyhow, she is sickened by Her experience here and the attitudes of the locals. She wants to go Home as soon as She can. Maybe a miracle will happen but I doubt it. 

Can't get any staff mate. Nobody wants a 10,000 Baht basic here. Nobody wants a kitchen job here. 

The thing with Chinese food is there's so much preperation and time goes into the prep it's kind of unique. She's been taking sit in orders here, answering the phone. Doing all the prep and cleaning up, cooking, packing and delivering. She's been working an 80 hour week herself. 

She is a great Western Chinese cook but without a pair of hands helping out, it's impossible. It's not like flipping a burger at a hamburger stand. 

Anyhow, she is sickened by Her experience here and the attitudes of the locals. She wants to go Home as soon as She can. Maybe a miracle will happen but I doubt it. 

Yes it certainly must be disappointing for your wife, especially seen this has unfolded for her in Thailand.

Good luck to your family.

i have eaten there many times and intended doing so again in a few weeks . it is a pity that you have closed .

i wish both your wife and yourself the best !

Cheers guys.

Really, really sorry to hear this.

Only thing I can write to you, at this juncture is a old saying:

"When one door is closed, God opens a new one"

Best of Luck, I'm sure you will do well, maybe just a little more patience.

God Bless you and your wonderful wife-Ouy.

She is not alone!

You and your wife have my symphaties.

Good luck where you ever get settled.

"Anyhow, she is sickened by Her experience here and the attitudes of the locals. She wants to go Home as soon as She can. Maybe a miracle will happen but I doubt it."

All the best with your futures. Seems to me, its getting harder to run a business in this town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daryle

Maybe offer 15k?

Well, for what? It was only a vegetable cutter and helper (dishes etc) She wanted. For 15K I'd expect them to want to learn to cook and to show they have some ability. We tried everything. An experienced cook from a Darkside restaurant. A cook from Bangkok etc. After a few days they bowed out.  

This is not like making an English breakfast where they don't need to think too much. This is fast, flash flame cooking. Now, I know it's not easy it took Her years under 4 different Chinese chefs to learn this but all She wanted was a helper. Trust me, the mind set here and the attitudes are completely opposite to a Western Country.

About 45 people through the kitchen in 2+ years and not one having the ability to listen and want to learn. Brutal. Waste of our time.

Really, really sorry to hear this.

Only thing I can write to you, at this juncture is a old saying:

"When one door is closed, God opens a new one"

Best of Luck, I'm sure you will do well, maybe just a little more patience.

God Bless you and your wonderful wife-Ouy.

Thanks for your kind words.

Sure, we will do it somewhere else. I know now. I was told by a friend of the ex China garden chef (Moon) that He was pulling His hair out trying to teach them. They couldn't learn. It would have been harder for Him as I believe He couldn't speak Thai. At least Ouy could communicate and instruct. But they just walked out. One after the other.

This seems to be the way here. It seems like the thing they do if somebody tells them what to do. We had three teams of builders (for want of a better word) walk out during the downstairs re-fit of Wok N Rok. They wouldn't take instructions or be open to ideas. This is my game back home. It was a nightmare watching it unfold.

Alas, it wasn't to be. Sorry guys. 

Well, for what? It was only a vegetable cutter and helper (dishes etc) She wanted. For 15K I'd expect them to want to learn to cook and to show they have some ability. We tried everything. An experienced cook from a Darkside restaurant. A cook from Bangkok etc. After a few days they bowed out.  

This is not like making an English breakfast where they don't need to think too much. This is fast, flash flame cooking. Now, I know it's not easy it took Her years under 4 different Chinese chefs to learn this but all She wanted was a helper. Trust me, the mind set here and the attitudes are completely opposite to a Western Country.

About 45 people through the kitchen in 2+ years and not one having the ability to listen and want to learn. Brutal. Waste of our time.

10k is minimum wage. Pay peanuts and all that? The food is great and unique and I'd thought she could capitalize on that.

My Pattaya budget is perfectly adequate as long as I don't spend any of it

10k is minimum wage. Pay peanuts and all that? The food is great and unique and I'd thought she could capitalize on that.

Yep

I own a jewellery manufacturers based in Bangkok

Employ 8 Thais

Each one earns a minimum of 15K a month

If I only offered 10k I would have no staff

Kitchen staff is bloody hard work for minimum wage. Maybe take on an apprentice ?

Yep

I own a jewellery manufacturers based in Bangkok

Employ 8 Thais

Each one earns a minimum of 15K a month

If I only offered 10k I would have no staff

How can you manufacture jewellery? Don't you just dig it up 55

How can you manufacture jewellery? Don't you just dig it up 55

It just falls from the trees

No need to dig up

Sure. Add the tips on it and they were making 20K+ plus a Month. Tips shared daily. Free accomodation, electric etc.

Some days there was 100+ meals Ouy was cooking, going out the door. Tips varied between 20 - 300 Baht sometimes per order or delivery. They made damn good money. And all they did was prepare, and put the lid on takeaway containers. Ouy even put the finished order straight from the wok, into the container for them.

They also split the delivery money and shared the tips from the non eaters, the drinkers. And got ladydrinks bought for them nearly every night from customers ringing the bell.

Doesn't matter. None of them are capable of learning this. Fortune cookie in Bangkok is looking for a Filipino to train up. This tells me all I need to know.

Anyhow, time to move on.

Money grows on trees in UK just ask any Thai girl

Yep

My Thai wife certainty believe in this theory 555

Yep

My Thai wife certainty believe in this theory 555

I was at my Mums with the missus on her first visit UK and told her that the tree in corner of garden was the money tree but it needed certain temperatures to produce money which was rare these days

She looked at me and said "you divvy"

I taught her good English lol

She's been taking sit in orders here, answering the phone. Doing all the prep and cleaning up, cooking, packing and delivering. She's been working an 80 hour week herself. 

Sounds like you have a one-in-a-million partner. You both deserve better than trying to swim upstream with staff whose values conflict with yours. 

Thanks for all the informative posts and mouth-watering pictures of your wife's creations. Best of luck to you and your family. 

This is really sad. I had a number of lovely meals from the Wok when I visited last year and planned to repeat this again this year in May.

All good things come to an end, I guess.

Archived