IGNORED

Wok n Rok

Wok N Rok

to be fair the owner did post here saying they would be closing between 5&7 to prepare for the buffet night.. most thai responses would just be.. food finish.. lol

I work hard to support those on benefits! :Banghead2:

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

to be fair the owner did post here saying they would be closing between 5&7 to prepare for the buffet night.. most thai responses would just be.. food finish.. lol

Yes, but the customer is always right. One of biggest bullshit phrases ever invented imo.

i'd rather eat a fishes face than a steak and kidney pie

We advertised the fact that the kitchen would close between 5pm-7pm. On here, other forums and our Facebook page.

They had fresh sauces to make and ten trays of food to cook. It was the correct thing to do.

The buffet itself went well. The attendance was less than anticipated but it was a very enjoyable night.

The kitchen at Wok N Rok will close at 17:00 (5pm) today. And re-open at 19:00 (7pm) for tonight's Buffet.

We arrived at 5:30pm and were told, "no food."

[...]

Incredibly stupid, but this is Thailand.

They were preparing for a major event and you think they should hold all horses to cater to you?

What did you expect?

Hold the event Brian needs food now?

We advertised the fact that the kitchen would close between 5pm-7pm. On here, other forums and our Facebook page.

Mr WnR, you sure did.

There must be a reason his girl (avatar) wears a helmet ... maybe as protection when knocking her head against the wall.

Glad the buffet went well.

Sir, it would appear that you are ramping up to manage one of the best businesses in town.

It will be a while, but I for one cannot wait to dine at your place.

Sent from my old clunker with a defective keyboard

Wish I have never visit Wok N Rok last Xmas because they are better than several Chinese take aways in my town , now I can't find any that is better than Wok N Rok, hope they are still in business when I come over again before this Xmas. Too fucking long wait. Hang on there for me .

You've stood up to and gave great responses to all of the negative comments to the guys hiding behind their avatars....good on you mate, I'll see you for my usual later.

for good accommodation at sensible prices located on Soi Chaiyapoon www.englishrosepattaya.com

"Tis better to be silent and thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt"  Abraham Lincoln.

Wel advertise it on board and fora is ok but i think your signing at the bar was less clear. On the other hand does the utilisation warrant the creation of big banner? Or would with a big banner the utilisation been higher. Maybe if it becomes a recurring event it would be wise to do good signage on the bar

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Tapatalk

You've stood up to and gave great responses to all of the negative comments to the guys hiding behind their avatars....good on you mate, I'll see you for my usual later.

+1

A board like this can be a heaven sent or it can be a mine field

WnR seems to have handled both equally well

+1

Seems to be lot's more positive reviews than what the China Garden gets. Bodes well.

+1

I really enjoy posting on this board. It has a lot of traffic and people who are not afraid to heap praise or criticize bars, restaurants etc.

Good people running it and also very good customers to Wok N Rok I'm pleased to say.

We don't run away from any type of review.

Seems to be lot's more positive reviews than what the China Garden gets. Bodes well.

Have eaten in China garden and got takeaways from Wok/Rok several times

In my opinion w/r is the better option but I have only tried a few dishes on each menu

But I do not really come to Thailand for English style chinky food

Thai food wins hands down every time

But sometimes a chinky hits the spot after a few beers

Wish I have never visit Wok N Rok last Xmas because they are better than several Chinese take aways in my town , now I can't find any that is better than Wok N Rok, hope they are still in business when I come over again before this Xmas. Too fucking long wait. Hang on there for me .

I hope Wok N Rok is still in business at Xmas.

Your comments have been said by many of our customers and that's what makes a business worth doing.

I believe we are the first to bring Western standard Chinese food to Thailand. And probably the last. It's all down to one person though, it's her experience, knowledge and skill, cooking in UK Chinese restaurants that has made this possible.

When she's had enough we will bow out gracefully.

We take one day at a time and I'm happy to say on Saturday the 15th of March we are open for business.

Please come along and enjoy. 

Have eaten in China garden and got takeaways from Wok/Rok several times

In my opinion w/r is the better option but I have only tried a few dishes on each menu

But I do not really come to Thailand for English style chinky food

Thai food wins hands down every time

But sometimes a chinky hits the spot after a few beers

Yeah, on a 2 week holiday one can easily have 40 to 60 meals and something besides Thai is often coveted. CG was heralded as an 'English Chinky' and if that's typical fare you can fucking take it back. Nothing wrong with the place except no flavour whatsoever.

Thai food in Canada is terrible. What I've found anyway.

When she's had enough we will bow out gracefully.

We take one day at a time and I'm happy to say on Saturday the 15th of March we are open for business.

Please come along and enjoy. 

I want you to make me a promise. When she has had enough (and I hope she never does)  I need her Vinaigrette recipe. The one she sends out with salad in a bag on takeaway orders. 

Simply delicious. 

The GF and I went and had another excellent meal tonight.

I still miss the crunchy, string cut onions on the sweet 'n sour chicken. Is that being picky?

Interesting how some dishes seem so different (not necessarily bad as you have to try them).egg-foo-young.jpg?w=765

Foo Young always looks more like this back home.

I love that stuff, exactly how it looks in restaurants here in the U.S. also.

GFE: Gull Friend Experience

Official Pattaya Song

The GF and I went and had another excellent meal tonight.

I still miss the crunchy, string cut onions on the sweet 'n sour chicken. Is that being picky?

Brian, if it's a 'must have' for you then you will have. It's no big deal. Please just ask for stringy crunchy onions in your sweet and sour.

If they don't understand either ask for Ouy or ask your Thai Lady to pass on your request.

Cheers..

Just to update this. I spoke to Ouy, she remembers you ordering the sweet and sour. Just ask for Her and she's happy to cut the onions how you want.

Planned future changes at Wok N Rok.

Coming very soon.

The opening hours for food are going to be extended.

New menus and separate Thai menus included.

Our Western part of the menu to be improved. Additional Western meals, and offered as a separate choice.

Open 24 hours for alcohol.

Drink deals.

Hey Richard, it was good to catch up with you last night and we spoke spoke about your new ideas, bring it on! and Ryan, I really enjoyed our chat about things really big and scary and I look forward to our next talk.

Cheers

Alan.

By the way the shredded chicken with sweet chilli sauce was F..in fab

for good accommodation at sensible prices located on Soi Chaiyapoon www.englishrosepattaya.com

"Tis better to be silent and thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt"  Abraham Lincoln.

Hey Richard, it was good to catch up with you last night and we spoke spoke about your new ideas, bring it on! and Ryan, I really enjoyed our chat about things really big and scary and I look forward to our next talk.

Cheers

Alan.

By the way the shredded chicken with sweet chilli sauce was F..in fab

Cheers Alan.

The new menus have been sent round to English Rose as promised.

Feeling Hungry, longing for a Chinese and it's past Midnight?

Wok N Rok is now serving food and take-a ways until 02:30am.

Today's Special is chicken or beef curry with fried/boiled rice or chips.

Along with a Chang or Leo, or soft drink.

195 Baht.

A review!

Here are my impressions of Wok N Rok, which I recently visited, as well as "the chow box" on Thappraya.

I also visited China Garden in Soi Lengkee a long while ago, I have to go back to taste it again.

Please forgive me if I don't choose my words too well, I'm not a native English speaker and often lack the right word or expression, and sometimes what I write sounds harsher than I intended.

Wok N Rok is a bar with a handful of restaurant tables at the back, open air, no decoration.

There is a big TV hanging from the ceiling at the place where the bar ends and the restaurant begins. There was a soccer game on, it was a bit noisy but not too much.

I ordered pork sweet & sour, egg fried rice, egg soup, shredded duck in peking sauce and beef szechuan.

What I really wanted to order was my favorite meal of spare ribs, crispy duck and cantonese rice, but I've already long given up on asian spare ribs in Thailand (instead of the longer crispy baby ribs they often serve short-chopped bones with some soft meat around), and crispy duck and cantonese rice were not on the menu.

One good thing at Wok N Rok is the price of beverages, my Chang was 55 baht, my mate's Singha was 65 baht. This is nice, because I hate it when some places charge prices near or above 100 baht for a small bottle, because it makes me nurse a beer for the whole meal, while at prices like 55 baht I drink and order more liberally.

The best dish was the sweet & sour pork, it tasted as it should and portion was ok.

All portions are fair for the price.

The most disappointing dish was the egg fried rice. I expected the rice to come white, a bit oily, and fried really hot, chinese-style, with one or two rice grains and some egg being slightly burnt and some spring onion, but instead I got dry brown-colored rice that tasted almost curry-flavoured.

Definitely not my taste.

BTW, the "chow box" served similar rice, minus the curry flavour... I don't know what's the deal with fried rice in Pattaya, but when I toured Scotland some 25 years ago, I was a regular at Chinese restaurants, lacking better food options, except a couple of steakhouses and finer restaurants I sometimes stumbled upon (hmmmmmm.... grilled fresh salmon). The fried rice I got in Scotland was quite different!

About the other dishes:

Strangely enough, all the other dishes' colors were dominated by red! The egg soup was orange, the beef szechuan too, and the duck in peking sauce was purple.

Didn't enjoy the egg soup too much. I was puzzled what would give the orange color, maybe carrot, as the soup's taste seemed dominated by some sort of cooked vegetable, maybe carrot, which covered all other tastes, so that the egg and the chicken also tasted like carrot.

Both the duck in peking sauce and the beef szechuan were enjoyable, but too sweet. The peking sauce did not look at all like the heavy dark brown gravy I am used to. The beef szechuan was ok, but could have been more spicy and less sweet for my taste.

Flavors were too simple for my taste.

All dishes except the rice and soup had an excess of capsicum (i.e. red/green/yellow pepper), but I missed spring onions, sesame, shiitake, black pepper, soy/oyster gravy, chinese spices, etc.

Summary:

Wok N Rok offers good value for the price.

Beverages are priced very fairly, portions are ok and most dishes are enjoyable.

I especially recommend the fried springrolls and sweet & sour pork.

Whoever in Pattaya gets the crispy dusk and the cantonese rice right first will win the Chinese restaurant race!

Haven't seen one yet!

Good very fair review

I have had a few takeaways from the wok/Rok

I also find all the dishes I had to be to sweet and no depth in flavour

Typical English style Chinese food

Try the Lenkee restaurant does great duck and rice

Cheers. Wok N Rok is what it says on the tin. A UK Chinese restaurant. Although most Nationalities enjoy the dishes.

Archived