IGNORED

Wok n Rok

Wok N Rok

A review!

Here are my impressions of Wok N Rok, which I recently visited, as well as "the chow box" on Thappraya.

I also visited China Garden in Soi Lengkee a long while ago, I have to go back to taste it again.

Please forgive me if I don't choose my words too well, I'm not a native English speaker and often lack the right word or expression, and sometimes what I write sounds harsher than I intended.

Wok N Rok is a bar with a handful of restaurant tables at the back, open air, no decoration.

There is a big TV hanging from the ceiling at the place where the bar ends and the restaurant begins. There was a soccer game on, it was a bit noisy but not too much.

I ordered pork sweet & sour, egg fried rice, egg soup, shredded duck in peking sauce and beef szechuan.

What I really wanted to order was my favorite meal of spare ribs, crispy duck and cantonese rice, but I've already long given up on asian spare ribs in Thailand (instead of the longer crispy baby ribs they often serve short-chopped bones with some soft meat around), and crispy duck and cantonese rice were not on the menu.

One good thing at Wok N Rok is the price of beverages, my Chang was 55 baht, my mate's Singha was 65 baht. This is nice, because I hate it when some places charge prices near or above 100 baht for a small bottle, because it makes me nurse a beer for the whole meal, while at prices like 55 baht I drink and order more liberally.

The best dish was the sweet & sour pork, it tasted as it should and portion was ok.

All portions are fair for the price.

The most disappointing dish was the egg fried rice. I expected the rice to come white, a bit oily, and fried really hot, chinese-style, with one or two rice grains and some egg being slightly burnt and some spring onion, but instead I got dry brown-colored rice that tasted almost curry-flavoured.

Definitely not my taste.

BTW, the "chow box" served similar rice, minus the curry flavour... I don't know what's the deal with fried rice in Pattaya, but when I toured Scotland some 25 years ago, I was a regular at Chinese restaurants, lacking better food options, except a couple of steakhouses and finer restaurants I sometimes stumbled upon (hmmmmmm.... grilled fresh salmon). The fried rice I got in Scotland was quite different!

About the other dishes:

Strangely enough, all the other dishes' colors were dominated by red! The egg soup was orange, the beef szechuan too, and the duck in peking sauce was purple.

Didn't enjoy the egg soup too much. I was puzzled what would give the orange color, maybe carrot, as the soup's taste seemed dominated by some sort of cooked vegetable, maybe carrot, which covered all other tastes, so that the egg and the chicken also tasted like carrot.

Both the duck in peking sauce and the beef szechuan were enjoyable, but too sweet. The peking sauce did not look at all like the heavy dark brown gravy I am used to. The beef szechuan was ok, but could have been more spicy and less sweet for my taste.

Flavors were too simple for my taste.

All dishes except the rice and soup had an excess of capsicum (i.e. red/green/yellow pepper), but I missed spring onions, sesame, shiitake, black pepper, soy/oyster gravy, chinese spices, etc.

Summary:

Wok N Rok offers good value for the price.

Beverages are priced very fairly, portions are ok and most dishes are enjoyable.

I especially recommend the fried springrolls and sweet & sour pork.

Whoever in Pattaya gets the crispy dusk and the cantonese rice right first will win the Chinese restaurant race!

Haven't seen one yet!

You should have tried the spare ribs. They are a huge seller here.

Regarding the 'egg soup' I take it you mean the hot and sour? This uses a Szuchuan base that's why it is this colour. No carrot in this soup.

There is no curry in Scottish Chinese fried rice. These are spices added. What people don't realise is it's very easy to cook 'perfect' Chinese dishes in the West because there are Chinese cash and carries, supermarkets everywhere.

Where the Chef of Wok N Rok worked they got their supplies from SeeWoo Chinese supermarket in Glasgow. It's all there for Chinese Chefs. Pastes, ready made sauces. The rice the chips, the vegetables, even the perfect cooking oil. 

None of these ingredients are available in Thailand. She has to mimic these products and from the feedback we get She does this very well.

Our style is obviously different to what you are used to. This is UK (Glasgow style) Chinese. We appreciate your custom and your review and take your feedback on board.

Cheers.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You should have tried the spare ribs. They are a huge seller here.

Regarding the 'egg soup' I take it you mean the hot and sour? This uses a Szuchuan base that's why it is this colour. No carrot in this soup.

There is no curry in Scottish Chinese fried rice. These are spices added. What people don't realise is it's very easy to cook 'perfect' Chinese dishes in the West because there are Chinese cash and carries, supermarkets everywhere.

Where the Chef of Wok N Rok worked they got their supplies from SeeWoo Chinese supermarket in Glasgow. It's all there for Chinese Chefs. Pastes, ready made sauces. The rice the chips, the vegetables, even the perfect cooking oil. 

None of these ingredients are available in Thailand. She has to mimic these products and from the feedback we get She does this very well.

Our style is obviously different to what you are used to. This is UK (Glasgow style) Chinese. We appreciate your custom and your review and take your feedback on board.

Cheers.

Thanks, I will be back to try the spare ribs then :)

Yes, maybe I ordered the hot and sour soup not the egg soup.

Didn't know there was a specific Glasgow Chinese style, 555.

As I wrote, I ate almost every day at Chinese restaurants during my 3 week Scotland tour, but that was 25 years ago.

I know nothing about preparing cantonese rice, but maybe you can tell why I haven't yet found any in Pattaya?

Is it very difficult or are the ingredients simply unavailable?

Thanks, I will be back to try the spare ribs then :)

Yes, maybe I ordered the hot and sour soup not the egg soup.

Didn't know there was a specific Glasgow Chinese style, 555.

As I wrote, I ate almost every day at Chinese restaurants during my 3 week Scotland tour, but that was 25 years ago.

I know nothing about preparing cantonese rice, but maybe you can tell why I haven't yet found any in Pattaya?

Is it very difficult or are the ingredients simply unavailable?

I'm happy to say because of your post She is in the kitchen trying to adapt the rice slightly.

Please try the ribs and I'll send you a P.M.explaining as to why you haven't found the 'exact' tasting rice in Thailand that you get in the UK.

Thanks...

P.M. sent.

Probably bit unfair to demand the chef to change the cooking method , my town completely different from Wok N Rok but I likes their own type of cooking better than my town , Glasgow must be great to eat, It is a pity I was not born in Glasgow. Lol .

Probably bit unfair to demand the chef to change the cooking method , my town completely different from Wok N Rok but I likes their own type of cooking better than my town , Glasgow must be great to eat, It is a pity I was not born in Glasgow. Lol .

It's top class the food in Glasgow mate. The City where Tikka Masala was invented.

Her style suits most pallets. The quality and taste she achieves is very good.

But as a result of feedback and that's what we look for - genuine feedback. The Peking sauce on the ribs is now changed to a dark brown colour. This is in line with most, but not all Glasgow Chinese restaurants. The taste is still the same. Great on the ribs.

Open until 02:30 every night now. Including phone in orders and deliveries.

well I've eaten there probably 3 times a week for the past month.. not had a bad meal yet.

I work hard to support those on benefits! :Banghead2:

Tomorrow March 30th Wok N Rok is open from 12pm-02:30am. Serving food and take aways, soft drinks etc.

Wok N Rok is starting a weekly drinks promotion.

From today 31st March until close of play on Sunday the 6th April

Buy two bottles of Singha Light for 85 Baht. If you buy three you get two at 85 baht and the third you pay the normal bar price of 60 Baht. (Happy hours times 55 Baht)

Buy four and you pay 2 x 85 Baht.

Get the idea.

Cheers.

seen today at villa market

:)20140331_182312.jpg

DISAPPOINTED!

Lastnight went with a friend and really looking forward to eating here to be told ''closed, have party'', no signs or posts on forum, as done previously, to inform customers.

lntroduction of drinks promotions, parties - no food service, are you running a chinese restaurant selling alcohol or a bar selling chinese food? seems to be changing to the latter.

Also standards beginning to drop, last couple visits service staff more interested in watching thai 'soaps' on tv or playing on fones, and been same daily special for about a week.

You have built up a good reputation and customer base for a restaurant serving good chinese style food, lf you dont sort it out now your def going to lose regular, repeat customers, (like myself).

Hi Geo,

Thanks for your post.

I just checked my posts here and my mistake for not advertising the Anniversary party on this forum. It's been on Facebook and 3 other Pattaya based forums since the 19th March.

What time did you call in at? She probably stopped serving around 6pm to prepare the buffet for 8pm.

The special was changed twice this week. Sweet and sour and now back to curries.

We also ran a drinks promotion last week.

Staff... yes, I'm not going to lie to you. You have to constantly be on their backs. It's nearly IMPOSSIBLE getting reliable. on the ball staff in Pattaya. If you know any Lady that wants a job and fits the description, please bring her around.

But in their defence they work long long hours and when busy are on their feet all day. They also do the local deliveries.

Anyhow, my mistake not putting the party date and description on this forum.

To answer your question. Wok N Rok is a bar/restaurant and it also hosts parties and caters etc. As has been advertised on here and elsewhere. This was a 6th Anniversary party for a couple who live in Wales and had booked this a long time ago. 

We cannot afford not to do events like these.    

Please also note that every table has a service bell. Don't be afraid to use them. That's why they are there.

Please don't use that Peanut Oil in previous pic as it would Kill me 55555555  Am allergic.

I was actually very pleased when I visited Wok N rok that the girl new exactly what I meant when I mentioned this and assured me no peanut oil would be used !

Food was great btw and very very close to a typical UK Chinese take away taste.

well I've eaten there probably 3 times a week for the past month.. not had a bad meal yet.

+1.

Good eats every time. About 2 months for me.

Pleasing to know Wok N Rok is still there in business ....Looking good for foreseeable future.

Hi Geo,

Thanks for your post.

I just checked my posts here and my mistake for not advertising the Anniversary party on this forum. It's been on Facebook and 3 other Pattaya based forums since the 19th March.

What time did you call in at? She probably stopped serving around 6pm to prepare the buffet for 8pm.

The special was changed twice this week. Sweet and sour and now back to curries.

We also ran a drinks promotion last week.

Staff... yes, I'm not going to lie to you. You have to constantly be on their backs. It's nearly IMPOSSIBLE getting reliable. on the ball staff in Pattaya. If you know any Lady that wants a job and fits the description, please bring her around.

But in their defence they work long long hours and when busy are on their feet all day. They also do the local deliveries.

Anyhow, my mistake not putting the party date and description on this forum.

To answer your question. Wok N Rok is a bar/restaurant and it also hosts parties and caters etc. As has been advertised on here and elsewhere. This was a 6th Anniversary party for a couple who live in Wales and had booked this a long time ago. 

We cannot afford not to do events like these.    

Please also note that every table has a service bell. Don't be afraid to use them. That's why they are there.

Thanks for reply and explanation, l do appreciate the difficulty with 'thai' staff and that you have to do private parties, events etc to keep the hard to get ££££££££££££'s coming in.

l have no probs with the standard of food and normally the service, as you will notice in all of my previous posts, maybe thats why l was dissappointed as hadn't been for about a week and was really looking forward to eating here.

Again thanks for the reply, keep up the good service, remember a notice a day or two in advance of next party/event cheers , see you again soon.

Thanks for reply and explanation, l do appreciate the difficulty with 'thai' staff and that you have to do private parties, events etc to keep the hard to get ££££££££££££'s coming in.

l have no probs with the standard of food and normally the service, as you will notice in all of my previous posts, maybe thats why l was dissappointed as hadn't been for about a week and was really looking forward to eating here.

Again thanks for the reply, keep up the good service, remember a notice a day or two in advance of next party/event cheers , see you again soon.

Thanks.

It's a nightmare mate. Thai staff that is. As soon as she tells them off they just walk away.

Looking back, Thailand was definitely the WRONG place to set up this kind of business. I never realised the difficulties in finding and retaining hard working people in Pattaya. Without doubt, doing a 50/50 Thai Chinese in a Spanish holiday resort would have been much better for us and our kids.

So far Her Family in the Kitchen have been great. At least that's a big positive.

Anyhow, we're still here and She has many regular customers who constantly come back.

At least She's given Pattaya a taste of UK Western Chinese food. And hopefully will continue to do for the foreseeable future.

I know a few people were 'upset' not to be served that night. But She made the call to stop serving after a certain time. Otherwise the eight tray buffet wouldn't have been ready for 8pm. The time the party started and the couple wanted the food for.

My fault for not putting it on this forum.

Please don't use that Peanut Oil in previous pic as it would Kill me 55555555  Am allergic.

I was actually very pleased when I visited Wok N rok that the girl new exactly what I meant when I mentioned this and assured me no peanut oil would be used !

Food was great btw and very very close to a typical UK Chinese take away taste.

Cheers Dan.

It's as close as She can get it. Considering there are no Chinese supermarkets here, with ready made sauces and pastes.

These sauces are all Her own recipes that She makes from scratch. She realised that the products used to cook with in the restaurants she worked in the UK, wouldn't be available here, so through trial and error came up with Her own recipes for all these sauces, over a period of about one year, before coming here.

Even so, a lot of the items are still hard to come by here. 14 different ingredients and a four stage process just to make one batch of curry sauce alone.

Gives you an idea about the work that goes into this.

Take into consideration She makes her own Sweet and sour, curry, kung pao, szechuan, black bean, oyster, lemon, orange, peking, black pepper, honey chilli sauces every morning, I'm happy how she keeps her standards up and how close it is to a UK Chinese.

She wont even let Her Family into the kitchen when making these sauces.   

Service staff WANTED. Must speak good English. Be presentable, hard working and friendly.

If you know of anybody that fits the bill, please call Ouy on 092 969 4119

Also trainee Chef required. Call Ouy for full details. Cheers.

The big review is in.

We knew Pattayamail was coming. Had no idea who they were or what they would make of Wok N Rok.

Now... before I post the link and parts of this review, let me say it's been a DAMNED hard week for Ouy.

The two 'Family in the kitchen' just walked out. 2 hours notice and said "We go two weeks for Songkran" After they had 5 days off recently.

OK...They shafted Her big time. She asked them repeatedly to think about their jobs. 14K Baht a Month. Free air con suite. Free food, electric, laundry, water, Wi-Fi Food and drink. Including alcohol. Plus daily tips. Amounting to a 30K plus a Month package. But no..."we leave to get pissed up the village"

Anybody that knows Ouy will appreciate She will NOT put up with this. They are gone for EVER.

Anyhow, She has a new helper in the kitchen and WILL employ a new trainee Chef. This will be a great opportunity for a HARD WORKING Thai to learn the ART of Chinese cooking.

I'm happy to say some service staff have been replaced too.

We have a new smiling English speaking cashier and new Ladies. I think they will in time be better than the others.

She came here a curvy 50kg Lady and has lost 10kg working non stop 15 hour shifts, with burn marks everywhere on her arms. None to be seen on Her previous helpers. Ha-ha.

She deserves this review and I honestly feel She has achieved what She set out to do. Give Pattaya, or Thailand the first Western Chinese standard food.

Where do we go from here? I don't know.

Business through staffing problems is more difficult here than ever imagined.

Anyway, this is a post from the heart. No promotion meant here, just honesty.

Enjoy the review.

This is what Pattayamail had to say.

http://www.pattayamail.com/diningout/wok-n-rok-36664

Wok N Rok advertises itself as “the best UK style Chinese food in Pattaya” which does mean that the owners have a great faith in their product, or perhaps deluding themselves!

We went along to see just for ourselves.

Mains are next up (B. 155-165) and in sections depending upon the type of cooking and includes curries, sweet and sour, kung pao, black pepper sauce, black bean sauce, honey chilli, orange sauce, lemon sauce, Peking, oyster sauce, chow mein, egg fu young, euro, sides and desserts.

In true Chinese fashion, we ordered numbers 5, 18, 46 and 54, which we shared - these were spare ribs, sweet and sour pork, chicken satay and batter chicken in lemon sauce.

They were all excellent and Rattana told me very proudly that the sauces were her own secret recipe.

We spoke with some of the other diners and all were repeat customers, and everyone gave Wok N Rok glowing reports.

After experiencing the food ourselves, we also give Rattana and her Wok N Rok top marks, and undoubtedly it was “the best UK Chinese Style Dining Experience in Pattaya,” that we have tried.

Something like that anyway, Grrrr tapatalk

Dear Pattaya Addicts

On the following dates the 13th, 14th and 15th of April the Wok N Rok kitchen will be open from 6pm - 12 Midnight.

The bar however will be open as normal on these dates from 12pm-02:30am serving drinks with friendly ladies to make it a happy Songkran!

On the 19th April there is a party planned. There will be music, fun and games involving water from 10am- 6pm.

Archived