Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

what is your camera

mmm606

Bought a Sony A5100 which does a great job of 1080P videos and pics.  It's a little bit bigger than my P&S but I'll try to bring it out.  I'm trying to acquire some used lenses online to keep in budget with my trip, which is less than 2 months away.

Sony-A5100-image-front.jpg

DSC0166.jpg

Best of both worlds, DSLR quality photos in a smaller package.  Hopefully I take it with me and get some shots.  It has a selfie screen, although I'm not into selfies.  Maybe I can get some bargirls to take selfies with it.

Edited by Gibsons1
  • Like 1

If you simply want the best opt for a full frame reflex . Canon 6D , even at 5000 ISO  at 1/50 sec , 50% natural light and 50% artificial light still perfect color balance and hardly any grain . 
The 6D might be the cheapest full frame from Canon but probably the best of the serie in low light . 

Absolutely. But then a lot of people, like me, have given up on carrying DSLRs around - just too big and heavy. In fact I don't even want to carry mirrorless, what with the need to carry lenses around which most times I don't even get to use!

So a compact makes good sense for people like me - a decently sized sensor which gives me the option of having a pocketable camera which is reasonably good in low light and gives me shots which are pretty good at web resolutions - I'm not viewing these on large screens not am I making 10X12 prints!

If I had the money, I would get the best of both worlds, either a Leica Q or a step down to a Sony RX-1, but since I don't, my RX-100M3 does fine for me...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

9 people can't make a baby in one month

3 hours ago, jerry said:

If you simply want the best opt for a full frame reflex . Canon 6D , even at 5000 ISO  at 1/50 sec , 50% natural light and 50% artificial light still perfect color balance and hardly any grain . 

The 6D might be the cheapest full frame from Canon but probably the best of the serie in low light . 

IMG_2996-8.JPG

Lovey, a beautiful looking natural Thai girl:)

Edited by SteveB

Canon PowerShot SX280 HS Compact Digital Camera - Black (12.1MP, 20x Optical Zoom) 3 inch LCD

IMG_0327.JPG

IMG_0329.JPG

IMG_0334.JPG

41kT82wEFEL.jpg

Edited by SteveB

The real photographers, I am not one, not even close, will tell you the most important part of the package is the Mark 20 Eyeball.  Knowing how to use light, how to move the subject ever so slightly to get a better light and taking 15 photos and keeping one is much of the magic.  

That and learning to use a decent post photo program.

Equipment is easy to talk about but great photographs can come from any machine if there is a great photographer behind it.

I am still really happy with my latest M4/3 Panasonic...

Joker...

• Like 3

9 hours ago, SteveB said:

Lovey, a beautiful looking natural Thai girl:)

A natural lovely Cambo girl ... :WinkGrin1: . 

She's my girlfriend and i send this pic to my mother ... 'oh nice dress' ... 'mum , that's a towel' ... 555 . 

• Haha 3

It is less the camera than the sensor size...a full frame will allow you to shoot in darker surroundings such as a hotel room with less noise, and I would say your lens selection.  A 50mm 1.8 lens will do wonders for your bedroom shots.

12 hours ago, Gibsons1 said:

Bought a Sony A5100 which does a great job of 1080P videos and pics.  It's a little bit bigger than my P&S but I'll try to bring it out.  I'm trying to acquire some used lenses online to keep in budget with my trip, which is less than 2 months away.

Sony-A5100-image-front.jpg

Best of both worlds, DSLR quality photos in a smaller package.  Hopefully I take it with me and get some shots.  It has a selfie screen, although I'm not into selfies.  Maybe I can get some bargirls to take selfies with it.

Been selling cameras for 25 years but don't really get this trend . 

The package is only slightly smaller than a DSLR but most are ridiculously priced . You still have to bring several lenses ... lenses with F numbers like 3.5/5.6 ... really ? IME if you don't want to carry around a DSLR you also don't want to carry around a slightly smaller camera with several lenses in a 5 cm smaller bag .  

Just opt for one of the top of the line compacts like Sony RX100 , Canon G7XII , Panasonic LX10 and the like . Cheaper , no hassle changing lenses , really compact and build in lenses with F numbers like 1.4/2.8 . Perfect for low light situations and sneaky quick shots . 

• Like 2

On 7/28/2017 at 01:15, MrLek said:

I am using a Nikon Df for a full frame camera along with a myriad of lenses 85mm 1.4d 105 DC and 180mm 2.8 nikkor the main ones but I sometimes use a 60mm macro for portraits if the room is small and the 85mm makes me stand too far back making me run out of room. I have way too many lenses still took a 58mm voigtlander last trip which i never used and also a 70-210 f4 nikkor which i used sparingly plus a 20-35mm D series nikkor which i meant to use as a walkabout lens but never did. 

As for a pocket camera I use a Ricoh Gr11 which I like for its sharp images and its compact size plus the easy menu system. I am a bit of a gear junkie and am eagerly awaiting the specs of the new Nikon D850 which I might buy but more interested to see if Nikon actually release a mirrorless full frame camera later in the year. 

Once you fall in love with certain lenses it is hard to leave a system and parting with my 105DC would be like tearing off an arm. 

I almost went with the DF, great camera, one of the best sensors out there!

15 hours ago, Billyboy294 said:

As this is a mongers board It would be fine if we could see sample photos of girls in the room so we can judge if a camera is worth buying..

I know Jerry posts/posted many photos of girls. I  was referring to page after page of "great cameras' but not one photo of a girl in the room.

This board has several topics inviting photos of girls.

If you just want to take sunsets etc, a simple Lumix TZ5 will do.

PS: I down-sized my photo to 1200 x 800 but it has posted here as 670 x 420 so the foreground  which was bright and clear is  now dark with no detail. Is that the best the forum can do.

So i will delete the photo because it doesn't show what  i was intending to show.

Edited by Billyboy294

Sex without love is an empty experience;

But as empty experiences go, it is one of the best.

7 minutes ago, Billyboy294 said:

I know Jerry posts many photos of girls. I  was referring to page after page of "great cameras' but not one photo of a girl in the room.

These were my favorite customers Billy when i had a few shops back in the days ... they bought all the most expensive gear and not a clue on how to use it . Traded it in like new as soon a new camera came out . 

Thanks to these guys for setting me up for Thailand ... 555 . 

1 hour ago, jerry said:

Been selling cameras for 25 years but don't really get this trend . 

The package is only slightly smaller than a DSLR but most are ridiculously priced . You still have to bring several lenses ... lenses with F numbers like 3.5/5.6 ... really ? IME if you don't want to carry around a DSLR you also don't want to carry around a slightly smaller camera with several lenses in a 5 cm smaller bag .  

Just opt for one of the top of the line compacts like Sony RX100 , Canon G7XII , Panasonic LX10 and the like . Cheaper , no hassle changing lenses , really compact and build in lenses with F numbers like 1.4/2.8 . Perfect for low light situations and sneaky quick shots . 

It's barely larger than those you've mentioned... and with detachable lenses a faster lens can be acquired.  Just got a used 2.8 16mm on Ebay for $100.

Cheaper???  G7XII is $799 here and my Sony was $595.  The RX100 v.5 is $1200 and has a smaller sensor.  You are talking about the v.1 which is 6 years old... no thanks.  RX100 v.5 is an awesome camera but I don't have the money to spend on a compact camera.

I also have a smartphone and a P&S.  I think I have everything covered.

Thanks for your advice.  My package will outperform anything you've listed there with a DSLR sized sensor and compact size.

Might want to check your prices and facts before you spout off next time.  Not everyone is buying a camera to be the next Bangkok112 and secretly film red light districts.  Maybe your country has different pricing, but what you say isn't correct over here.

Edited by Gibsons1

55 minutes ago, Billyboy294 said:

I know Jerry posts/posted many photos of girls. I  was referring to page after page of "great cameras' but not one photo of a girl in the room.

This board has several topics inviting photos of girls.

PS: I down-sized my photo to 1200 x 800 but it has posted here as 670 x 420 so the foreground  which was bright and clear is  now dark with no detail. Is that the best the forum can do.

So i will delete the photo because it doesn't show what  i was intending to show.

In fairness the thread asks to state which camera you use it really is more of a discussion piece rather than show and tell. Also the photographer will have way more influence on the quality of the image than the camera will. 

I am relatively new to photography and just an amateur so my images will be of lesser quality than someone who has been shooting for years regardless of the camera they use. 

I also sometimes see images posted by experienced photographers and think they are a bit crap so it is worth remembering photography is an art form of sorts and one persons style may talk to you and another persons won't but in the end we use what we use because it suits us at the time. 

This is an in room shot I took with the DF and an 85mm 1.4 D series Nikkor lens. Only had one light so there is a bit of unwanted shadow behind her and really should of had the light coming more front on but that is user error and no fault of the camera. Still don't think it is a bad shot.

DSC_4895.jpg.0c2252fbd8a287586d7e74ad3cfbd354.jpg

Post deleted.

Edited by Billyboy294

2 hours ago, Billyboy294 said:

As  matter of interest , the other Pattaya forum, after getting some complaints,  have now set posting size to 1200 x  1200. So now can see better quality photos.

3 hours ago, Gibsons1 said:

It's barely larger than those you've mentioned... and with detachable lenses a faster lens can be acquired.  Just got a used 2.8 16mm on Ebay for $100.

Cheaper???  G7XII is $799 here and my Sony was $595.  The RX100 v.5 is $1200 and has a smaller sensor.  You are talking about the v.1 which is 6 years old... no thanks.  RX100 v.5 is an awesome camera but I don't have the money to spend on a compact camera.

I also have a smartphone and a P&S.  I think I have everything covered.

Thanks for your advice.  My package will outperform anything you've listed there with a DSLR sized sensor and compact size.

Might want to check your prices and facts before you spout off next time.  Not everyone is buying a camera to be the next Bangkok112 and secretly film red light districts.  Maybe your country has different pricing, but what you say isn't correct over here.

Cool down , cool down ... wasn't personal . It's not a pissing contest , just used your post to put up my thoughts about these cameras . 

Besides that you're comparing apples to oranges now , second hand e bay stuff compared to new model cameras . I agree with you that prices for the newest cameras are crazy ... $1200 for a Sony RX100 M5 is just madness . I bought that Sony MK1 for $350 in a sale and it was without doubt the best camera in that price range at that time . Would never pay over a thousand U$ for a compact .

A Sony APS-c with several lenses (especially low F lenses are pricy) will set you back a couple of thousand U$ , my remark about price was based on that scenario . The 16/2.8 is nothing more than a 25.6mm/2.8 on an APS-c and will not hold up against the 24/1.4 from for example the Panasonic LX10 ($650) as it needs 4 times more light ... the difference between shooting 800ISO and 3200ISO . Let alone the hassle of taking these lenses with you and changing them all the time . Pretty sure i wouldn't take such a camera with lenses out for street photography as a real compact with build in 24-72/1.4-2.8 is so much more convenient IMO . 

Horses for courses and the mentioned compacts will outperform your Sony in several areas that are important for me , like camera size (especially with several lenses) , depth of field , low light performance , flexibility and value for money ... i can live with the small difference in pic quality in some areas . 

Rather spend my money on a full frame with L glass if i want the best possible quality and have an all in good quality compact to carry everywhere . Different thoughts , different needs , different people ... 

As long as you're happy with your choice who am i to tell you different . Again it wasn't a personal 'attack' , i just see things a bit different after shooting hundreds of thousands of pics and selling/handling thousands of cameras over the years . Ask any pro what his 'walk around' camera is and 9 out of 10 will come up with one of the compacts i mentioned . 

Peace brother ... 

^^^ This!

May I add that convenience sometimes is more important than quality - I agree that I'll probably get the best quality from a full frame top end DSLR with a fast prime, but I just don't have the strength or inclination to carry one of those around anymore.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Like 3

9 people can't make a baby in one month

10 hours ago, jerry said:

These were my favorite customers Billy when i had a few shops back in the days ... they bought all the most expensive gear and not a clue on how to use it . Traded it in like new as soon a new camera came out . 

Thanks to these guys for setting me up for Thailand ... 555 . 

Regarding guys who claim their camera is the greatest but never post any photos of girls,  I took into account some of your pics taken with the Sony RX100 Mk1 when i bought my one in May 2015..

Edited by Billyboy294
  • Like 2

Hi if you want a nice little compact 20x zoom ideal for those candid shots,  have a look at the Canon SX280HS cheap as chips £60 as new on  EBay.

Just  bought one very pleased.

2 hours ago, Moonpig said:

Hi if you want a nice little compact 20x zoom ideal for those candid shots,  have a look at the Canon SX280HS cheap as chips £60 as new on  EBay.

Just  bought one very pleased.

Canon P&S do the job nicely and take good HD Video.  Don't have to spend a lot of money on a camera to get good results.

12 hours ago, MrLek said:

In fairness the thread asks to state which camera you use it really is more of a discussion piece rather than show and tell. Also the photographer will have way more influence on the quality of the image than the camera will. 

I am relatively new to photography and just an amateur so my images will be of lesser quality than someone who has been shooting for years regardless of the camera they use. 

I also sometimes see images posted by experienced photographers and think they are a bit crap so it is worth remembering photography is an art form of sorts and one persons style may talk to you and another persons won't but in the end we use what we use because it suits us at the time. 

This is an in room shot I took with the DF and an 85mm 1.4 D series Nikkor lens. Only had one light so there is a bit of unwanted shadow behind her and really should of had the light coming more front on but that is user error and no fault of the camera. Still don't think it is a bad shot.

DSC_4895.jpg.0c2252fbd8a287586d7e74ad3cfbd354.jpg

Photo with that shadow looks good, the lighting is off camera so the shadow is not directly behind the girl and with it off to the left along with the way you have it cropped, it looks good.

How do you like the focus system in your DF?

Mr. Jerry or someone with greater knowledge.  It is true that sensor size also reflects in true aperture for lens.  For example my M4/3 sensor is half the size of a full frame, so if I am shooting with a 1.7f lens it is actually a 3.4 for real light gathering????  I ask because if you are shooting a 1.4f but only on a 1in sensor, it is truly a 1.4? 

Also a good friend who is a real photographer gave me the other great piece of advice, buy glass not bodies.  Put you money into good lenses and don't worry about the latest and greatest body.  

Joker...

Photo of my favorite taxi girl: 1/100 sec. f/1.7 43mm on a Panasonic GX85.

P1010710.JPG

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, TheJoker said:

Also a good friend who is a real photographer gave me the other great piece of advice, buy glass not bodies.  Put you money into good lenses and don't worry about the latest and greatest body.  

I got the same advice years ago. "Bodies are always changing, but good glass lasts forever." :-)

13 hours ago, TheJoker said:

Mr. Jerry or someone with greater knowledge.  It is true that sensor size also reflects in true aperture for lens.  For example my M4/3 sensor is half the size of a full frame, so if I am shooting with a 1.7f lens it is actually a 3.4 for real light gathering????  I ask because if you are shooting a 1.4f but only on a 1in sensor, it is truly a 1.4? 

Partly true , the F number of the lens is the F number and doesn't change with the size of the sensor . Though the bigger the sensor the more light it catches resulting in being able to shoot at 800ISO were a smaller sensor needs 1200/1600ISO or even more if it's a real small sensor to get to the same shutter speed and/or F number . So yes , the size (sensitivity) of the sensor does make a difference . Also the reason that full frame cameras can shoot up to very high ISO without noise or grain showing . 

Downpoint of bigger sensors and 1.2/1.4 lenses on max aperture is often that the lenses aren't able to cover the whole sensor equally resulting in vignetting (images that are darker at the sides and corners) . 

A pro of the bigger sensors is that you're able to play with field of depth much more . 

On 3/12/2018 at 22:55, jerry said:

Got tons of pics i would like to post but as this is the open part i'm limited to the 'dressed' ones ... :P

Very simple Jerry, just put them in a thread in the closed part, we'll go there with you.....

BTW, nice towel.....

I'll throw another option in the ring for relatively compact, good quality for walk around, but also for "in room":
Fuji X-E3 with 18mm/2.0 (equivalent to 28mm) 
Good size APS-C sensor, 24 MB

Oh, sorry, also over US $ 1000........
The lens is pancake size, body very light, the images very high quality, joy to use with old fashioned shutter speed and aperture dial.

Edited by Encora