what is your camera

mmm606

I dont work for fuji

haha but spending more time with my xt1 I love it

and its weather resistant, so a LOS shower isnt going to ruin your camera

they are coming out with x series lens that are also WR

so if anyone here still partakes in the water festivals

you can still take high quality photos and not have to worry about your gear

Weather resistant, maybe, but are you really sure that somebody throwing a bucket of water over it would not harm it at all?

For such a relatively expensive camera, I'd still be rather careful during Songkran...

Weather resistant, maybe, but are you really sure that somebody throwing a bucket of water over it would not harm it at all?

For such a relatively expensive camera, I'd still be rather careful during Songkran...

Yep, there's a hell of a difference between a camera getting sprinkled on during a light shower and copping the whole 9-yards at Songkran. 

Women are made to be loved, not understood.

• 8 months later...

Sony DSC HX60V. Just under AU$400.

+ iPhone 6S. AU$1,290. The "Live Photo" feature is amazing.

I remember years ago I would carry a camera for pics wherever I went; but nowadays I find my iPhone camera is more than sufficient so I normally just use that. If I really care about taking some good pictures, I will bring a long my Canon camera. I've always had good results with Canon and I'm not much of a photographer at all.

Canon EOS 6D.  Why?  Buy a professional camera first so that you aren't going through 2 or 3 until you find the one that you want.  Also, WI-FI ability comes in handy when trying to get those pesky macro shots!

Paul Freitas

Caliente Group Co. Ltd.

Thailand Stories, Blogs, News and More:  The Neverland Post

-Bryan Flowers - An Interview with the Original Pattaya Addict - Empty The Bank - Five Reasons To Invest in Pattaya - My Photography Page - PF Click

• 4 weeks later...

Canon EOS 6D.  Why?  Buy a professional camera first so that you aren't going through 2 or 3 until you find the one that you want.  Also, WI-FI ability comes in handy when trying to get those pesky macro shots!

I'd actually disagree with that, and here's my reasoning. My opinion, if you're going the dSLR route, is to buy a mid-range camera, and work on getting off the automatic setting. That may or may not take some time. And while that is happening, the never ending march of technology is improving camera bodies. For example, my Nikon D70 was groundbreaking when it came out quite a while ago. It was good enough then to take National Geographic photos (though not by me.) Here's a secret, that old, antiquated D70 takes just as good photos today, as it did 10 years ago, and I still use it on occasion. If someone were looking for a D70, they could pick one up for next to nothing now.

My primary camera now is a Nikon D300s, which was only recently superseded in Nikon's lineup. Still a great camera, even though now it's not the latest and the greatest. I expect the price on the used market to get very attractive if someone were looking for one. It too still takes the same technically excellent photos it did before, even though it's not at the top of it's heap anymore. (And if a D300S is good enough for someone like Joe McNally, it is way, way good enough for me.) :-)

Where I would put my money, rather than in a pro body, is pro glass. Bodies come and go, but good glass lasts forever. Picking up a low f stop prime lens, which isn't cheap, will last for decades, and be well worth it. The internal differences between camera bodies over the course of a few years is remarkable. They're sort of like computers, obsolete as soon as you buy them if you're a cutting edge type of person. 

It's a fact that someone who knows what they are doing, can take a better composed photograph with a pocket camera than someone else, who doesn't know what they are doing, could take with a Nikon D5. Or in other words, the person behind the camera matters far more than what the camera is. That's why, for someone new, I'd rather suggest a used mid-range camera, and great glass. Learn how to use exposure, aperture, and ISO settings on something that isn't going to break the bank. If you manage to stay interested long enough to learn all that, then go out and spring for a pro grade body. :-)

(especially while learning if you decide it's all too much hassle and you go back to using your iPhone as your primary camera because it's handy and takes okay photos.)  :-D

Agree the Nikon D70 was a great camera. Only recently sold mine after using it for 9 years.

Agree the Nikon D70 was a great camera. Only recently sold mine after using it for 9 years.

I'm keeping mine. Still have in the back of my head doing the mod where you pull out the IR filter and turn it into a dedicated IR camera. Maybe someday. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Ive recently  added a Samsung Note 3 to my bits n bobs, its my phone now and my first smartphone . , apart from My Fuji F200 and especially of course my Nikon D40 it does perhaps not such a good job,  but its the thing that's  in my pocket most of the time , and good enough in good light to take a few photos if needed , surprised me how good ...

I have the same phone and I think the phtos suck ! My Note 2 was much better... :)

Regards, Atlas.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

I had a friend who is a professional photographer tell me that very early.  Buy glass and ignore the latest body.  I am using Micro 4/3's due to their lightness but have good primes 1.4, 1.7 and a 2.5 wide angle.  Never use the kit lens, give that to my girlfriend to use on my second body...  Great glass will last forever.

Joker...

Moved onto the Sony A5100. Just need a 20mm 2.8 pancake to supplement the kit lense and should cover what I want it to on next trip. 

I came, I saw, I mongered!

• 1 month later...

Canon EOS 5D Mark II. I prefer prime lenses. 200 mm is my favourite lens. With it it's easy to capture your sexy thai lady from distance, like my avatar but she's not thai girl.

Pattayalore

:Pervert1:

Edited by pattayalore

Have just pulled the trigger on a canon sx60HS.

Superb zoom  (65X)  and pretty good reviews for some great candid shots .

Big plus  is the wifi ability

You can lead a horticulture but you can't teach a prototype

• 1 month later...

hello all addict's

what is your camera Brand that you taken with in your trip

model and the price pleas

thanks

Multi........Sony NX, Go-pro, Fuji Point ad shoot................

• 1 month later...
LEICA X (Typ 113) currently retailing for $2,420.00 in Australia, with a 3 year warranty. Seen it for a similar price on Lavada ($AUD 2330) but that's without any warranty.

Thinking about getting one of these. Long ago I had the first ever Leica compact, the AF-CA, and there was something truly wonderful about the images it took. I did lots of work out on longtails off the Andaman coastline, so that camera, with its metal parts, rusted away in time. But I've always wanted another Leica.

m_Leica_X_silver_front.jpg
Edited by The Sly Fox

LEICA X (Typ 113) currently retailing for $2,420.00 in Australia, with a 3 year warranty. Seen it for a similar price on Lavada ($AUD 2330) but that's without any warranty.

Thinking about getting one of these. Long ago I had the first ever Leica compact, the AF-CA, and there was something truly wonderful about the images it took. I did lots of work out on longtails off the Andaman coastline, so that camera, with its metal parts, rusted away in time. But I've always wanted another Leica.

You should have a look at the LEICA X-U (Type 113) basically the same camera only they have made it more robust, you can even use it underwater up to 15m.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0765183018/leica-launches-its-first-rugged-camera-with-the-x-u-underwater-compact

Edited by kerso
  • Like 1

There are no chicks with dicks, only guys with tits  :D

You should have a look at the LEICA X-U (Type 113) basically the same camera only they have made it more robust, you can even use it underwater up to 15m.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0765183018/leica-launches-its-first-rugged-camera-with-the-x-u-underwater-compact

Yes thanks for the link. I had already read about this model, not yet released in Oz so no price for it yet, but should be about $4000 AUD. Getting up way more than I'd be prepared to pay to get into another Leica. 

Have just pulled the trigger on a canon sx60HS.

Superb zoom  (65X)  and pretty good reviews for some great candid shots .

Big plus  is the wifi ability

I was so disappointed  I returned  it  !

Settled  on a panasonic TZ 80

Much better value  

I am  rapt

You can lead a horticulture but you can't teach a prototype

Yes thanks for the link. I had already read about this model, not yet released in Oz so no price for it yet, but should be about $4000 AUD. Getting up way more than I'd be prepared to pay to get into another Leica. 

Total waist of money IMO ... i compared digital Leicas with other high end compacts and hard to see any difference in pic quality . 

• Like 2

Total waist of money IMO ... i compared digital Leicas with other high end compacts and hard to see any difference in pic quality . 

Interesting comment jerry, thanks I appreciate your opinion. There are many who say that Leica is not what it used to be back in the days of film cameras, would you agree?

Interesting comment jerry, thanks I appreciate your opinion. There are many who say that Leica is not what it used to be back in the days of film cameras, would you agree?

In the 'old film days' lens quality and quality + precision of the moving parts was much more important . 

Specially with the 24x36mm 'full size' format the lenses had to cover , Leica had these things nailed in

these days . 

Outside the shutter there are no moving parts anymore . Chip and electronics are 'made by Panasonic' .  

If you see now what quality a bit better phone with a tiny lens already delivers it becomes a bit hard to

stand out with only slightly better lens quality . In the digital world there's also a lot that can be done

with software afterwards while in the old days there wasn't much correction possible anymore . 

Leica still has the name but with these absurd prices they will be limited to a very small select group of 

hardcore users and snobs . 

• Like 1

Well I have had a tough year camera wise...

My 5D MKIII ended up in the bottom of a dinghy, lens separated and salt water got in.... Managed to get it going after putting in rice but did not last long... 

Got a 7D MKII purely for the fast shutter speed, and let me tell you it's fast !!! Great camera but miss the full frame for some wide shots...Crop factor is a killer on the 7... Anyway, got caught in a storm on the weekend, no problem I thought, in my bag, raincoat on it.. Damn water seeped in through bottom of bag... Camera kaput !! Still not sure why...  So it is off to BKK for repair...

Thank goodness for insurance... Though in 10 yrs of cameras I have never had trouble till I came here.. Mind you I am out of the studio now :D 

• Like 1

Regards, Atlas.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

In the 'old film days' lens quality and quality + precision of the moving parts was much more important . 

Specially with the 24x36mm 'full size' format the lenses had to cover , Leica had these things nailed in

these days . 

Outside the shutter there are no moving parts anymore . Chip and electronics are 'made by Panasonic' .  

If you see now what quality a bit better phone with a tiny lens already delivers it becomes a bit hard to

stand out with only slightly better lens quality . In the digital world there's also a lot that can be done

with software afterwards while in the old days there wasn't much correction possible anymore . 

Leica still has the name but with these absurd prices they will be limited to a very small select group of 

hardcore users and snobs . 

Cheers jerry, I think what you say pretty well sums it up.