IGNORED

Leeds United Thread

gazO

Can not believe some of these so called "fans" comments on various sites questioning the manager just because in ONE game things did not work out.

Have these moron "fans" forgot so quickly where we have come from and some on the dross we have watched for years and some clueless managers and owners.

GET real we are in the premier league FIRST season sometimes we will lose !!!!!!

Keep the faith MOT

On 04/11/2020 at 01:41, gazO said:

Can not believe some of these so called "fans" comments on various sites questioning the manager just because in ONE game things did not work out.

Have these moron "fans" forgot so quickly where we have come from and some on the dross we have watched for years and some clueless managers and owners.

GET real we are in the premier league FIRST season sometimes we will lose !!!!!!

Keep the faith MOT

Some of those `fans` having a go will only have had their interest peaked over the last 2 seasons, some of them wont even know Leeds even spent a spell down in the third tier, fans are fickle and every club has them.

You`ll lose more games this season, but you`ll win  more games too, Leeds have done enough to show they have what it takes to do ok but we`ll see, its a long season.

Well did not see that score coming by Palace, what can you say they took them and we did not create many.

Patrick Bamford: Did Leeds United striker have goal ruled out for pointing?

A screengrab of the Patrick Bamford offside decision Had the goal stood it would have made it 1-1

A goal ruled out for pointing to where you are going to run.

It sounds unbelievable but that is what appeared to happen to Leeds United striker Patrick Bamford in the 4-1 defeat by Crystal Palace on Saturday.

The 27-year-old was comfortably onside when he raised his arm to tell Mateusz Klich where to play the ball and he ran on to score, seemingly equalising for his side.

However, after a video assistant referee (VAR) review, the goal was ruled out - prompting a furious reaction from many fans and pundits.

'The worst decision in the history of football'

"That is the worst I've ever seen. The worst in the history of football," said former Wales midfielder Robbie Savage, who was watching the game for BT Sport at the time.

"Absurd," Match of the Day host and ex-England striker Gary Lineker posted on social media. "That's another ridiculous VAR offside decision to disallow Bamford's goal. I actually loathe the way it's being implemented."

Former Tottenham midfielder Jermaine Jenas said on BBC Radio 5 Live: "It was an absolutely disgusting decision not to give Bamford the goal. He's been done for having long arms and for pointing where he wants the ball played.

"It's ridiculous - we've lost our minds in our sport at the moment. There's no doubt that would have had an impact on the game."

Patrick Bamford scores for Leeds against Crystal Palace Bamford did manage to score a legitimate goal later in the match but it was only a consolation

'Even the referee couldn't make sense of it'

Bamford himself was still none-the-wiser after the game as to why it was ruled out.

"I don't understand the rule," he said. "You can't score with your arm. It doesn't make sense.

"It's happened with me today but I've seen it on numerous occasions. It's ruining football. You want to see goals. To have it ruled out for something like that is daft.

"Even the referee couldn't make sense of it. When the players and the officials can't make sense of it, does it make sense?"

Was it the wrong decision?

Premier League The Premier League is taking a more strict approach to handball this season

By the letter of the law, it was the correct decision to rule it out.

While the action of pointing itself was not the reason for ruling it out, it was the fact his arm was deemed to be in an offside position, regardless of its motion.

A change in the handball rule means that the top of the arm, a part of his body that a person can score with, can be offside.

The question is, will Bamford point for balls in the future?

"It is a tough one," said the Englishman.

"You are giving handballs for jumping with their arms up, which is a natural jump. You are giving offside for when someone points where they want the ball, which is part of the game.

"If you asked me what the offside rule is I couldn't tell you. It is my job to stay onside but I just don't know.

• 2 weeks later...

A repeat result of this game would be great. The day we helped the team from Lancashire.

How did Leeds not win this game. But we did not lose so 1 point better than none.

Leeds United are to name the East Stand at Elland Road in honour of former defender Jack Charlton.

Charlton, a World Cup winner with England in 1966, died in July aged 85.

He joined Leeds aged 15 in 1950 and spent his entire playing career with them, making a joint club-record 773 appearances before retiring in 1973.

"The contribution made by Jack Charlton to Leeds United and the game of football is immeasurable," said Leeds chief executive Angus Kinnear.

"It is only right that we name a stand in his memory - he is an icon."

Charlton, whose managerial career included a successful spell in charge of the Republic of Ireland, was part of the Leeds side that won the 1969 league title and the 1972 FA Cup.

He follows John Charles, Norman Hunter and Don Revie in having a stand named after him at Elland Road, while there is a statues of Billy Bremner and Don Revie outside the stadium

• Like 3

What a game could have been 5-4 but always in Leeds favour, one day many of these chances will go in. 

KP gave a masterclass performance. Man of the Match. Still not sure on the 3rd kit colour looks to close to another colour for my liking MOT

Well did not expect much from this game against money bags Chelsea. Got off to a good start with a great goal from Bamford still proving the doubters wrong. But the second half seem to lose our way and Chelsea ran out easy winners.

On to the next one ....

Former Leeds United midfielder passes away.

Leeds United have been saddened to learn of the passing of former midfielder Alejandro (Alex) Sabella at the age of 66.

The former Argentina manager joined the Whites from Sheffield United in 1980, before making 27 appearances and scoring 2 goals for the club.

Having started his career at River Plate, after a season at Leeds United, Sabella returned to Argentina with Estudiantes where he won back-to-back Championship titles.

His fine form led him to being called up to the Argentina national squad where he won 8 caps, including four during the 1983 Copa America.

Stepping into management with Estudiantes, he would lead them to win the 2009 Copa Libertadores and finish runners-up in the 2009 FIFA Club World Cup.

Stepping down from his role with the club, Sabella was named Argentina manager in 2011, before taking them to the 2014 FIFA World Cup Final in Brazil. 

Our thoughts are with Alex's family and friends at this time

• Sad 1

Well they knew the threat West Ham had from set plays and what do they do give away needless chances a corner and a free kick ( from 2 very disappointing players tonight Harrison and Costa). Free headers 2 goals could have had more not Leeds night so on to Newcastle game NEED a win.

A win at last , a game that the stats say Leeds dominated but was nervy viewing at times and another set piece goal conceded. The fitness showed in the last 15 minutes, out numbering the defenders on the break.

Now on toooooo the next one a team in red. 

Bielsa in top 3 managers 2020, Klopp the winner (money talks)

Can not believe what West Brom did this week and employed the crooked dinosaur.

Great words in this song Micky

On 25/08/2020 at 05:00, Captain Dave said:

I would say we are much better than Man Utd to be honest.

You’ve been on the Sherry again old mucker.

On 28/04/2020 at 03:42, Captain Dave said:

Chelski and Salford Rovers.

I make no attempt or pretense of neutrality when referring to those agents of The Devil!

Those evil merchants of capitalism, who ruined the FA cup .......... 6

Those lily-white hero’s of the proletariat, saviours of the North ....2

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, petemoss said:

Get your facts right won the championship not via play offs. All you reds in Croydon doing a lot of crowing you quickly forget Spurs SIX

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

No highlights today because it was X certificate stuff A bad day all round never recovered from minute 3.

1 minute ago, gazO said:

Get your facts right won the championship not via play offs. All you reds in Croydon doing a lot of crowing you quickly forget Spurs SIX

Easy to forget when we're ahead of Spurs in the table with a game in hand, whilst you're steadily heading for the relegation zone. A win on Boxing day will put us 2nd and chasing Liverpool with a game in hand.

It was a great game to watch yesterday especially if you hate Leeds (which many do :) )

Absolutely suicidal approach to defending should have been at least nine, if not more. Good luck with your pretty football, but Leeds are a busted flush with this playing system, easy to win against if you have any pace up front.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png                                                                                      

Personally i think Leeds are a great team to watch and i rarely watch any other games not involving Liverpool but i do watch and like how Leeds play.  :GoldenSmile1:

I for one hope they are around again in the Premier League next season as the Premier League is enhanced with them in it.

1 hour ago, overseas516 said:

Personally i think Leeds are a great team to watch and i rarely watch any other games not involving Liverpool but i do watch and like how Leeds play.  :GoldenSmile1:

I for one hope they are around again in the Premier League next season as the Premier League is enhanced with them in it.

Agree, they have made a good go of PL and although inconsistent at times it is good to see them back where they belong.

image.png

37 minutes ago, Jebb said:

Agree, they have made a good go of PL and although inconsistent at times it is good to see them back where they belong.

Dont be saying stuff like that, some will start believing it:rolleyes:, seriously though they are there on merit after winning the championship last season, this season if i`ve seen any of their games on telly they have impressed me at times but other times they can be quite fragile, been good to watch though, they did spend 16 years outside the top flight even spending three seasons in the third tier before getting back into the prem so back where they belong is pushing it a bit, in fact the last forty years or so as seen them spend more time out of the top flight more than they`ve spent in it, they do deserve they`re current status though.