IGNORED

Best Sunday roast these days?

A lot of "Sunday roast" is about family/ friends Sunday dinner, as back home. Many diners are with a group or a friend. 

40 minutes ago, frantick said:

A lot of "Sunday roast" is about family/ friends Sunday dinner, as back home. Many diners are with a group or a friend. 

Not all...but still it's way too much trouble to DIY and get it right.

• Like 3

Had my first roast dinner this trip tonight in Hemingway’s in Jomtien. First, to be fair, I’m feeling a bit dodgy tonight so wasn’t in the best condition to enjoy it anyway.

However, I thought it was pretty poor tbh. If I’d cooked that at home I’d be really annoyed with myself.

It is a lot of food but the chicken was tough and rubbery, the Yorkshire pudding lousy, the pig in blanket very salty and the veg so lightly cooked that I could barely cut the broccoli, cauliflower and carrots with a knife. Roast spuds were ok, maybe a little underdone, I didn’t try the mash. Stuffing was fine as was the gravy - though about half the quantity I’d have liked. I think it was 270 baht.

If I’m tempted to try it again this trip when I’m feeling a bit livelier, then I’ll update the review. 

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

• 4 weeks later...

The best one for me at the moment is the Nest on Soi Diana. They do a great roast for 299 and if you are not too hungry the option of a 'junior" for 199.

• 3 weeks later...

Got to Nickey's yesterday back of 4, no lamb left-gutted. Had the large roast beef dinner, meat was crap.

57 minutes ago, jimboh said:

Got to Nickey's yesterday back of 4, no lamb left-gutted. Had the large roast beef dinner, meat was crap.

555  I only ever reco' the Lamb.

Y'day had the Turkey n Ham.... not the best.  😟

The Sportsman on Soi 13 has a huge Sunday carvery all you can eat 

1 hour ago, jimboh said:

Did you mention this to the waitress?

On 02/01/2023 at 17:41, petermik said:

Did you mention this to the waitress?

No, was for takeaway

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday, had a SR at Hemmingway's Jomtiem. Had the roast lamb and was really good, tender lamb. Everything was good.

Cost 350B. Only downside was the small portion of veg and both mash and roast potatoes. Not high dollar items. 

I and a couple of mates are considering doing a Sunday dinner tour so I put together a list of all of the usual recommendations. Any further suggestions are welcome, including some on the list which might not be so good right now.

Tropical Restaurant
Robin Hood
Sportsman
Killkenny
Time
Sports Lounge
Hungry Hippo
Cheap Charlies
Hemmingways
Dicey Rileys
Caddyshack
Nicky's
The Nest
Queen Vic
Baan Na Garden
Welcome Inn
Witherspoons
Peaky Blinders
Jimmy’s Restaurant and bar Jomtien
The Oasis Pattaya
Murphys Irish Pub
Irish Wolfhound
Suggestions
Marquee Bar

9 hours ago, jimboh said:

Yesterday, had a SR at Hemmingway's Jomtiem. Had the roast lamb and was really good, tender lamb. Everything was good.

Cost 350B. Only downside was the small portion of veg and both mash and roast potatoes. Not high dollar items. 

Smaller portions and higher prices is the modus operandi of the current Hemingway’s Manager.

Short term, the place is doing well. Long term, who knows?

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

Robinhood put there various plates up 100 baht and all you can eat up to 750 baht on their Sunday roast a few months ago.

Also increased prices across the menu.

Remember you have to add some tax on to these Robinhood prices. I stopped going because the consistency and quality of the every day meats was lacking.

I would rather pay a bit more and eat at Beefeater.

The standout value on Sunday roasts is the Sportsman. As Dave says for 495 baht "you can fill your boots."

Not as many starter and dessert options as Robinhood but the joints of meat are good.

Get in early or book ahead as The Sportsman is breaking precovid serving records.

For those looking just a set plate of roast, i would think Robin's Nest would be good.

Owned by Dave of the Sportsman's, i would think it would be same same.

On 09/03/2019 at 05:34, James023 said:

Dicey Riellys second road...........449 bht..........Little bit expensive but easily the most meat  choices and biggest and best  salad/ veg/ and desert selection

Their turkey is especially good.  Worth it just for that.  It's gone downhill a little bit though.  Not as many things as they used to have pre-covid but I think it's still better than the other places mentioned here.

Edited by Kale

On 31/01/2023 at 07:40, jaynewcastle said:

Just seen the annoying news that Kilkennys has closed  😞

New Indian owners i believe.

Being turned into a gentleman's club apparently.

Possibly another small sign of the changing demographic in Pattaya.

• Sad 1

On 31/01/2023 at 07:40, jaynewcastle said:

Just seen the annoying news that Kilkennys has closed  😞

Yes, being bought by Indians.

• Sad 1

On 31/01/2023 at 08:45, Kale said:

Their turkey is especially good.  Worth it just for that.  It's gone downhill a little bit though.  Not as many things as they used to have pre-covid but I think it's still better than the other places mentioned here.

Is that a buffet and is still on the go? And 449 seems reasonable. 

Last Sunday, had the roast lamb at Auld Rouges, was good and cant remember the price but sure it was under 300B.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys...any further suggestions on sunday roasts..?

Nickys was recommended lat night so that is my preferred choice so far

Preferably in Central pattaya 

Edited by Itsgazza
More info

1 hour ago, Itsgazza said:

Hi guys...any further suggestions on sunday roasts..?

Nickys was recommended lat night so that is my preferred choice so far

Preferably in Central pattaya 

As noted above, I have always been a big Sportsman fan.

Just finished my lamb roast at one of the highest rated venues in Sydney, but The Sportsman is much better. Actually the best roast I had while in LOS  was at the Royal Oak in Bangkok, really enjoyed it and available on Saturdays as well.

Bawdy by name, Bawdy by nature.

For those on the Darkside Tropical Restaurant is hard to beat for a Sunday roast.

image.png