IGNORED

Best Sunday roast these days?

On 13/11/2023 at 06:41, Petesie said:

Had my Sunday at Nicky's recently, Veg was 50-50, some excellent others half cooked. Beef was tough & a poor cut and I'm reluctant to sit & chew it for 30 minutes so I left it, disappointed.

Would I go back? Yes but I'll try the chicken next time. 🤫

Agree about their beef, poor quality but, must say, their lamb is outstanding.

• Like 2

So, what makes for a 'best' Sunday Roast?
For some it is about the cost, whereas for others cost isn't the priority. but it counts.
For me, I don't want an all in price including soup and dessert but I know some do.
I do not want everything on my plate to be itemised and I refuse to fill in a form to order.

It all starts with the meat IMO,
Roast Beef would be the choice of many, including me, except that it is so variable (local hybris vs Australian etc perhaps?).
Lamb seems to be more reliable, though it can also vary and be fatty sometimes.
Pork can be very good.....or very ordinary. It must surely have crackling?
Chicken doesn't really qualify as a Sunday Roast where I came from, but......up2u..

Next up for me are the Yorkshire puddings and Roast Potatoes.
They must be oven roasted and proper.
I avoid those who think it's OK to throw frozen yorkies and par boiled potatoes in a basket fryer and call them Roast.....and that is quite a long list, including some who are said to be the best.

Finally the vegetables.
I prefer them to be freshly cooked and 'al dente' rather than left to stew in those heated (or not) pans they usually use for buffet style carveries.

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Edge said:

About 6 months ago I walked past Nicky's to try another (The Nest) and regretted it.

I haven't tried another since but a FB post caught my eye.

Screenshot_2023-12-03-19-23-48-849_com.facebook.katana.thumb.jpg.fbf1304239af27fcad4b1869eb95b22f.jpg

I was not disappointed this time.

IMG_20231203_190358.thumb.jpg.5cb5794be41589a8f824b5b37b455b80.jpg

There were +es and -es, but overall they were comparable IMO......except the Devonshire included Soup of the Day and it was 100 Baht cheaper.

I had the roast lamb 279 baht yesterday in the Devonshire  ,I thought it was excellent and very good value with plenty of lamb I have paid more many times for a Sunday roast in Pattaya which did not compare.

Also the Tomato soup starter was a nice touch and was delicious 

I will be back next Sunday for a repeat Start serving the Sunday roasts at 1.00pm I be there at 12.45 pm fresh out the oven 

IMG_0168.jpeg

Edited by Pheat

• 2 weeks later...

Back to Nicky's this week.

Small Lamb.

IMG_20231217_172626.thumb.jpg.388037cd7116134ac8f95f6fd4a91f8a.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Some good choices up there at differing price points.

I went to Sportsman once... top quality ingredients for sure but..... I don't want/need dessert, so 495 it is. 

Nicky's Lg Lamb 415.

Way too much but I coped.

IMG_20231231_150506.thumb.jpg.69ea5a8f60eb707e4b236cbf25fd9a05.jpg

16 hours ago, Edge said:

Nicky's Lg Lamb 415.

Me too

23 hours ago, Edge said:

Some good choices up there at differing price points.

I went to Sportsman once... top quality ingredients for sure but..... I don't want/need dessert, so 495 it is. 

Nicky's Lg Lamb 415.

IMG_20231231_150506.thumb.jpg.69ea5a8f60eb707e4b236cbf25fd9a05.jpg

The dessert at the Sportsman's is a token gesture, normally a small tartlet that the kitchen have prepared.

I do have dessert but don't want a soup starter.

You paid 415 baht for a lamb dinner, an extra 80 baht offers you the choice of stuffed chicken crown, honey roast ham, boiled ham, pork, medium roast beef, well done roast beef and lamb at the Sportsman's.

As well as an alcoholic drink and choice of today's live sports.

It's a bit of a no brainer for me but each to their own.

18 minutes ago, PeterStewart66 said:

..............You paid 415 baht for a lamb dinner, an extra 80 baht offers you the choice of stuffed chicken crown, honey roast ham, boiled ham, pork, medium roast beef, well done roast beef and lamb at the Sportsman's.

As well as an alcoholic drink and choice of today's live sports.

It's a bit of a no brainer for me but each to their own.

Sounds good and, as I said, I went once and now the 'buts'......

There was only one other customer (the Breakfast Club guy Flack).
I had walked from TukCom so I was hot and sweaty and looking forward to some AC.
It was switched off.....I was offered a wet wipe instead.
The food (good quality) looked like it had been out for a while and the server lady was also sweating cobs and had turned off the overhead heater lamps, so cold Brussels it was.
I prefer my veg' a touch 'al dente', so the carveries where the veg' is pre laid out don't really appeal.
It was quite a while ago, but the memory lives on.

I always have Lamb, having the Large one was an exception and the Small (previous posts) is more than enough at 375 Baht, so 120 Baht more for me at Sportsman's 495.
The Lamb Roast at Devonshire 279 Baht (see above) is very good value.
 I have every sports channel on a big screen at home and try not to drink alcohol in the daytime.
I'm not obsessed with price, but I have zero interest in soup and dessert, so for me those are the numbers for a Lamb Roast.

Thanks for the info', maybe one day.

3 hours ago, Edge said:

Sounds good and, as I said, I went once and now the 'buts'......

There was only one other customer (the Breakfast Club guy Flack).
I had walked from TukCom so I was hot and sweaty and looking forward to some AC.
It was switched off.....I was offered a wet wipe instead.
The food (good quality) looked like it had been out for a while and the server lady was also sweating cobs and had turned off the overhead heater lamps, so cold Brussels it was.
I prefer my veg' a touch 'al dente', so the carveries where the veg' is pre laid out don't really appeal.
It was quite a while ago, but the memory lives on.

I always have Lamb, having the Large one was an exception and the Small (previous posts) is more than enough at 375 Baht, so 120 Baht more for me at Sportsman's 495.
The Lamb Roast at Devonshire 279 Baht (see above) is very good value.
 I have every sports channel on a big screen at home and try not to drink alcohol in the daytime.
I'm not obsessed with price, but I have zero interest in soup and dessert, so for me those are the numbers for a Lamb Roast.

Thanks for the info', maybe one day.

Same same I have tried the Sunday roast at the sportsman a few times  when friends want  to go

i don’t need all the extras soup,bread and butter pudding steak pie etc

The sportsman is great value if you want to eat so much you can not move555

I prefer getting a plated Sunday roast from Nickys,Devonshire,Witherspoons etc nothing to do with price I just want 1 plate of food

Anybody tried something other than the lamb at Devonshire?

My parents weren't fans of lamb, so I grew up not eating it and never turned the corner on it.

1 hour ago, Luv2Phuket said:

My parents weren't fans of lamb, so I grew up not eating it and never turned the corner on it.

Yes the half roast chicken cooked fresh on the rotisserie each morning absolutely delicious 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

I grew up eating mostly roast beef, but here I have found beef to be too variable as a roast. Maybe I've been unlucky?

• Like 2

The only half decent roast beef I have had in Pattaya was recently at Witherspoon's.

3 minutes ago, jimboh said:

The only half decent roast beef I have had in Pattaya was recently at Witherspoon's.

I had the roast beef Sunday roast from Witherspoons couple of days ago I thought it was decent and very good value at 229 baht with plenty of beef

• Like 3

On 02/01/2024 at 09:18, Edge said:

I grew up eating mostly roast beef, but here I have found beef to be too variable as a roast. Maybe I've been unlucky?

The Sportsman's roast beef is Australian and very good. Medium or well done are available.

They also have a roast beef dinner on the menu at 295.

The advantage of the carvery is you can see the joints in front of you.

I wouldn't touch beef in Pattaya but was very pleasantly surprised.

I told the Sportsman's manager your comment about a/c not working and he was interested to know when the last time you actually visited.

The Sportsman's does 170-210 carvery covers every Sunday, so it's also a bit of a mystery that there was no one there.

On 04/01/2024 at 13:32, PeterStewart66 said:

....The Sportsman's does 170-210 carvery covers every Sunday, so it's also a bit of a mystery that there was no one there.

Wow, is that 40 more than RHT did on Christmas Day?

Probably too crowded for me then 555

Good that you're happy there.... maybe one day.

Probably not in the same league, but has anyone sampled the roast they put on at Passion?

Bawdy by name, Bawdy by nature.

12 minutes ago, Bawdy said:

Probably not in the same league, but has anyone sampled the roast they put on at Passion?

Yes, decent quality, just pork and chicken, proper roast spuds and great gravy.

2 minutes ago, jimboh said:

Yes, decent quality, just pork and chicken, proper roast spuds and great gravy.

Glad to hear it, thanks, will check it out next month, cheers.

Bawdy by name, Bawdy by nature.