IGNORED

Retirement Visa problem - New Rules

Billyboy294

8 minutes ago, davidge said:

There’s a form on the official insurance website that has to be completed by the overseas insurance company and signed by 2 directors confirming the coverage meets the Thai Government requirements.

Good luck to anyone who tries to get that done!

In any case, the implication on the site is that is only acceptable for the first year in any case and there must be one of the Thai company policies thereafter.

There’s an awful lot in this that we’ll just have to wait and see about. A real mess tbh.

I would prefer a Thai insurance policy but had heard that they don't provide coverage if you're over 70.  I'm currently paying  a little over $500 USD a month which will increase Jan 1st ( last year it increased $70 a month) so a Thai policy should be cheaper.

21 minutes ago, usexpat46 said:

I would prefer a Thai insurance policy but had heard that they don't provide coverage if you're over 70.  I'm currently paying  a little over $500 USD a month which will increase Jan 1st ( last year it increased $70 a month) so a Thai policy should be cheaper.

I posted the costs from one of the ‘approved’ policies in post 653. That company covers you up to 100 - as long as you took out the policy before 75.

I’m not sure these policies are really very good value but you can take out higher coverage by increasing the premium.

Here’s the link to all companies providing approved plans:

https://longstay.tgia.org/home/companiesoa

The prices I posted earlier are from Thaivivat. The higher coverage isn’t available once you’re over 70 but the basic coverage can be continued- as long as you take it out before 75. You’ll need to check what the other companies offer.

Honestly, I’m not sure how many of these policies are really any good at all.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

Here’s the form I mentioned:

C7FED0A9-9C71-4939-A285-63E54971EA5D.jpeg

From a quick look, Pacific Cross & Thaivivat say you can renew up to 99/100yo as long as you start before you’re 75.

3 minutes ago, davidge said:

From a quick look, Pacific Cross & Thaivivat say you can renew up to 99/100yo as long as you start before you’re 75.

Thanks, I noticed that it states for Aliens applying for Non-Immigrant Visa type O-A.  I have the Non  Ö" visa so I wonder if that's included or would I have to get the Non O-A  visa?

11 hours ago, sulu said:

My understanding is that the Non O-A is a long stay visa, obtained in one's own country, with the intent to retire in Thailand. That now requires health insurance.

The Non O, obtained in Thailand is essentially the same thing. Can someone offer an opinion as to why this visa would NOT require health insurance ?

TIA

9 hours ago, Oukiva said:

So false...  :(

The Non-O is completely different of the Non-O-A !

The Non-O-A is only for +50 yo and give 1-year stays

The Non-O is for "anyone" for all kind of reasons (marriage, retirement, child, sport, voluntary, spectacle, …). It gives 90-days stays. It can be single or multiple.

Same as ALL visas, you can only get it outside Thailand, in its Consulates or Embassies. You are not restricted to those in your country as for the O-A.

(The only exception (that I know) about visa obtained in Thailand is when you "transform" your current visa to a Non-O in the aim of obtaining a 1-year extension (retirement, marriage, …))

3 hours ago, Oukiva said:

That's unsurprising seeing that they added that in the Rules for Retirement Extension :

health-O-A.jpg.c4128b8553c002954932d840e

(see posts #642-#643 on previous page)

The important point to notice is  that the rule clearly concern

those who get Retirement Extension based on an initial Non-O-A visa ONLY,

and most of us have their Extension based on a Non-O Visa.

"So false" ? :laugh:

Firstly, I understand there are all sorts of flavors of the Non O, used for a number of different reasons.

Secondly, thank you for clarifying/supporting my point, however unintentional. That is, there are MANY retirees OVER 50 in Thailand using the Non O for retirement purposes. So the Non O, for those over 50, actually is essentially the same thing as the Non O-A.

So perhaps I didn 't phrase my post quite right but the my question remains. Why wouldn't Thailand require health insurance for those over 50 that have ANY long stay visa, whether it's a Non O-A, with the intent of retiring in Thailand or "only" a Non O ? 

"When somebody shows you who they are, believe them" - Maya Angelou

45 minutes ago, usexpat46 said:

Thanks, I noticed that it states for Aliens applying for Non-Immigrant Visa type O-A.  I have the Non  Ö" visa so I wonder if that's included or would I have to get the Non O-A  visa?

There is no insurance requirement for a Non-O only a Non O-A and a Non O-X. Whether that changes in the future is anybody’s guess. 

To borrow a very old joke, this entire situation is like watching 3 monkeys trying to figure out how fuck a football (American version of football).

3 hours ago, davidge said:

I posted the costs from one of the ‘approved’ policies in post 653. That company covers you up to 100 - as long as you took out the policy before 75.

I’m not sure these policies are really very good value but you can take out higher coverage by increasing the premium.

Here’s the link to all companies providing approved plans:

https://longstay.tgia.org/home/companiesoa

The prices I posted earlier are from Thaivivat. The higher coverage isn’t available once you’re over 70 but the basic coverage can be continued- as long as you take it out before 75. You’ll need to check what the other companies offer.

Honestly, I’m not sure how many of these policies are really any good at all.

If Sheryl  (the Heath mod) on Thai Visa says these Thai heath policies are lousy  ....You can be sure they are bad......She  knows loads about health care in Thailand.....

High premiums and low cover is one of their shortfalls for starters....

Edited by fforest
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, fforest said:

If Sheryl  (the Heath mod) on Thai Visa says these Thai heath policies are lousy  ....You can be sure they are bad......She  knows loads about health care in Thailand.....

I read Thai Visa occasionally but am not a member there. Far too many tosspots.

As a Brit, I’m really not that familiar with Health Insurance options but seems very expensive for relatively little cover.

2 hours ago, fforest said:

Heath?

People like the idea of the thai health insurance because they are cheaper but the cover is mostly inadequate for a farang, far too low. I did look into one with greater cover but their exclusion rules go far longer back than non thai companies i.e. to birth vs 5 years

8 hours ago, Taa_Saparot said:

Visa Agents must be rubbing their hands.

Immigration Officers too. For the first time in nine years here I'll be going the agent route. Cheaper and easier for me to now use an agent, but hate the fact I know a good portion of the agent's fee will be going into others' pockets.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, davidge said:

There is no insurance requirement for a Non-O only a Non O-A and a Non O-X. Whether that changes in the future is anybody’s guess. 

9 hours ago, davidge said:

Thanks, I looked at both and it appears the Pacific Cross is the better of the two as the top option for Thaivivat isn't available for older expats.  The top option for Pacific Cross is a lot cheaper than my current Kaiser plan which will more than likely increase this January.

• Like 1

I’m wondering if Tricare (USA) would be acceptable for health insurance.  

Quite a few military retirees (USA) in Thailand.

Pay up front and then get reimbursed 75 or 80%.

In the past I was using the Embassy letter for extensions.  Originally OA visa.  I had valid pensions but never had to show proof.  No longer an option.

Recent SWIFT transfer of $30k to Kasikorn to cook for 90 days before re applying in December.  

Now health insurance.

Beginning to think if it’s really worth it. 

Or use an agent.

I only spend 6 or 7 months in country anyway, sporadically throughout the year.

A multiple entry tourist visa is looking better and better.  Could possibly get about 9 months out of one.  I spend summers in California anyway.

Time will tell.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, davidge said:

I read Thai Visa occasionally but am not a member there. Far too many tosspots.

The same could apply to many forums...just because one persons opinion/idea differs from others does not make them a tosspot...:WhoSaw1:

4 minutes ago, petermik said:

The same could apply to many forums...just because one persons opinion/idea differs from others does not make them a tosspot...:WhoSaw1:

Insisting white is black just to argue/"win" an argument with someone does though ... far too many wankers on there like that and the mods let it run.

• Like 2

Insisting white is black just to argue/"win" an argument with someone does though ... far too many wankers on there like that and the mods let it run.
True but the mods over there are part of the problem, they delete posts they don't agree with

I concur that forum is heavy on tosspots

Immigration Officers too. For the first time in nine years here I'll be going the agent route. Cheaper and easier for me to now use an agent, but hate the fact I know a good portion of the agent's fee will be going into others' pockets.
If they eventually bring in the compulsory insurance for non imm O extensions agents may have a problem, getting it in the passport is the easy bit but if immigration check for insurance every time you enter then it's an issue

21 minutes ago, petermik said:

While I agree with your post, TV has an unusually high number of complete nutters.

Sorry to get off topic.

Edited by typhoon42

5 minutes ago, Scuba+ said:

True but the mods over there are part of the problem, they delete posts they don't agree with

True, I can attest to that ... pulled them up on it once and got told "we only look at the post that was reported not what led to it" pointed out the flaws/issues with the posts I fired up about ... and they still left those posts up and mine hidden even when the mod agreed with me in the PM. :Dunno1:

Current standing on TV is approx 33% of my posts hidden, which is an improvement since earlier this year 555

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Scuba+ said:

If they eventually bring in the compulsory insurance for non imm O extensions agents may have a problem, getting it in the passport is the easy bit but if immigration check for insurance every time you enter then it's an issue

It might also be possible airport immigration will assume if you have the Non-O then you've met the insurance requirement to get the visa. No need to present the insurance paperwork again on entry to Thailand.

3 hours ago, typhoon42 said:

A multiple entry tourist visa is looking better and better.  Could possibly get about 9 months out of one.  I spend summers in California anyway.

But more and more stories of people getting pulled up at Suwanapoom and being accused of living in Thailand on Tourist Visas.

3 minutes ago, Taa_Saparot said:

But more and more stories of people getting pulled up at Suwanapoom and being accused of living in Thailand on Tourist Visas.

A guy just posted a day or two ago he was entering on a multi-entry Visa that was issued to him. He got to the airport they pulled him aside and said they thought he was not a genuine tourist but living here. They changed his multi-entry visa to a single entry and refused him entry. So one branch of immigration issues the Visa multi-entry and then another one as they're allowed to do what they think it's best changes it to a single entry and does not allow him entry unbelievable.

I have to keep reminding myself its a job :GoldenSmile1:
At Babydolls we are serious about fun

babydollsaddict.gif