IGNORED

Retirement Visa problem - New Rules

Billyboy294

On 12/10/2019 at 06:46, Ludhamlad said:

What will an agent charge for doing it?  I assume one would still have to have the insurance even if an agent takes care of it or will they get around that too?

Spoke to an agent in July who was confident it would make no difference- and they would still charge the same. However, we’ll have to see just how wide the requirement is made. 2 things come to mind, as Soi 7 said, what happens if you go to hospital and they see you don’t have insurance. Will they tell the authorities or can you just tell them you want to pay cash and so no problem. The other is whether there will be a check on insurance on entry into the country. If so, you can’t really get away with it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

PSC have sent an email around about a group discount for Pacific Cross. It seems much better coverage than I've seen before with them. Also with a 40k deductible the premium reduces further 25%.

One problem which is common is it doesn't include 40k outpatient which is a requirement of the new police order. Maybe there's a way around that.

https://pattayasports.org/psc-featured-news/privileged-membership-health-medical-insurance-exclusive-to-psc-members/caf6c1150f85b86e33f90dcbf905525a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Pacific Cross has an expat plan that includes the outpatient requirement. Cost for age 71-75 is about 70K baht. You can find it on their website.

Pacific Cross has an expat plan that includes the outpatient requirement. Cost for age 71-75 is about 70K baht. You can find it on their website.
better to just get a non imm O rather than O-A

7 minutes ago, Scuba+ said:
54 minutes ago, blix99 said:

better to just get a non imm O rather than O-A

If that's to get around the proof of insurance requirement, I don't think it will work. I visited the agency you recommended on Thursday and asked about proof of insurance requirement and who it applied to. Reply was everyone staying long term, even those on extension to stay. Wasn't surprised to hear them say, not a problem for those using an agent. If the goal with all the changes this year was to push more into using agents, they've succeeded with me. 

If that's to get around the proof of insurance requirement, I don't think it will work. I visited the agency you recommended on Thursday and asked about proof of insurance requirement and who it applied to. Reply was everyone staying long term, even those on extension to stay. Wasn't surprised to hear them say, not a problem for those using an agent. If the goal with all the changes this year was to push more into using agents, they've succeeded with me. 
I don't think they are right on that, it only applies to O-A not O. Surprisingly they aren't experts, i often tell them the rules on number of border runs allowed

1 minute ago, forcebwithu said:

Yes and I know someone that went down to jomtien and questioned the new requirement being only for OA visas and not the O Visa the lady at desk 8 which is the retirement desk told him it was for any retirement extensions he explained that the police order shows it only to be in effect for those with OA Visas. He asked to speak to a supervisor a gentleman came out that said he was the straw that stirs the drink or the boss in other words and verify that they were going to be looking for medical insurance for all retirement extension. Believe it if you will or don't if you won't we're going to know for sure in about a week how they're handling it cuz the reports will be coming back hard and heavy

• Like 1

I have to keep reminding myself its a job :GoldenSmile1:
At Babydolls we are serious about fun

babydollsaddict.gif

Just now, Scuba+ said:

It's quite clear in the police order to so I suggest that anybody that wants to argue with him take a copy of that link that you just sent to show them they're wrong down at immigration good luck with that. 

babydollsaddict.gif

The insurance may well be a waste of money as conditions you are most likely to claim on will be exclusions, so it's money down the toilet. Immigration don't understand that or don't care. That money could be spent on hospital bills

16 minutes ago, Soi7 said:

It's quite clear in the police order to so I suggest that anybody that wants to argue with him take a copy of that link that you just sent to show them they're wrong down at immigration good luck with that. 

Thankfully, people are reporting on TV that Jomtien IO are saying that insurance is not required for extensions of stay.

1 minute ago, Bazle said:

Thankfully, people are reporting on TV that Jomtien IO are saying that insurance is not required for extensions of stay.

Hope you're correct

babydollsaddict.gif

17 hours ago, blix99 said:

May I suggest to stay away from Pacific Cross and look for other insurance programs. About 4 years I spent plenty of time checking up programs and Pacific sounded good and insurance agents were pushing it. After I did plenty of checking and hearing the complaints, I will stay away from Pacific Cross. Yes, they will do a good job and cover you  bills, but the next time you renew???  Your premiums will go pass the moon and some more.  I know a few guys who have it  and none are happy with the new renews.  They all pay cash now and not even tell pacific cross anything.  

If I apply for an OA in my home country and:

Enter Thailand and get 1 year to stay

Then do the out and in towards the end of the 12 months to get another 12 months

Then prior to the 2nd 12 months running out I go home and make another OA

Do I need the insurance?

My understanding is it is only needed if you want to extend the OA within Thailand?

FWIW I too can't see why eventually it won't apply to all extensions but that's to be seen.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

1 minute ago, kane666 said:

Then do the out and in towards the end of the 12 months to get another 12 months

Do I need the insurance?

My understanding is it is only needed if you want to extend the OA within Thailand?

FWIW I too can't see why eventually it won't apply to all extensions but that's to be seen.

It has been reported that you need it when applying for the Visa the OA it is on the website in the UK of the embassies and in the US somebody has posted it is on the Chicago Embassy website

babydollsaddict.gif

1 minute ago, Soi7 said:

It has been reported that you need it when applying for the Visa the OA it is on the website in the UK of the embassies and in the US somebody has posted it is on the Chicago Embassy website

Guess I could have Googled it first...from the Aus embassy website:

Additional requirement for Non-immigrant Visa “O-A” (for retirement long stay) application

As of 31 October 2019, visa applicant for Non-Immigrant Visa “O-A” (for retirement long stay) must have health insurance which covers the whole period of stay in Thailand.

Details of the requirement for health insurance are as follows:

• For In-patient: health insurance policy must have coverage at least 400,000 Thai Baht per policy year.
  • For Out-patient: health insurance policy must have coverage at least 40,000 Thai Baht per policy year.

In addition to the existing required documents, visa applicant for Non-Immigrant Visa “O-A” (for retirement long stay) must furnish a completed “Insurance Certificate” as attached, as well as an original health insurance policy. A copy of the health insurance policy may only be accepted, provided that the applicant purchases the health insurance from participating Thai insurance companies as listed here http://longstay.tgia.org/.

Agent here I come.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

2 minutes ago, kane666 said:

Do I need the insurance?

It is a requirement when applying for an O-A in your home country. That’s the one thing that’s absolutely clear so far.

It’s still not clear if it applies to extensions, different IOs seem to be saying different things, or how it will be enforced.

Things will begin to become clearer in the next couple of days as people start being affected by it.

Additional requirement for Non-immigrant Visa “O-A” (for retirement long stay) application   As of 31 October 2019, visa applicant for Non-Immigrant Visa “O-A” (for retirement long stay) must have health insurance which covers the whole period of stay in Thailand.
  • For In-patient: health insurance policy must have coverage at least 400,000 Thai Baht per policy year.
  • For Out-patient: health insurance policy must have coverage at least 40,000 Thai Baht per policy year.
In addition to the existing required documents, visa applicant for Non-Immigrant Visa “O-A” (for retirement long stay) must furnish a completed “Insurance Certificate” as attached, as well as an original health insurance policy. A copy of the health insurance policy may only be accepted, provided that the applicant purchases the health insurance from participating Thai insurance companies as listed here http://longstay.tgia.org/.

Agent here I come.

I'm not sure an agent will be able to help although they most likely will it's all about the money

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

babydollsaddict.gif

Agents in Pattaya will get a Non-O + Extension for him as they have been up to now as it’s only the Non O-A that requires insurance (at least so far).

23 minutes ago, Soi7 said:

I'm not sure an agent will be able to help although they most likely will it's all about the money

I was told by an agent, not a problem for them to "handle" the insurance requirement along with the other requirements for a visa or extension to stay.

I think we really should wait November and see what will happen, mainly in Jomtien Immigration, because way to many speculations on the Internet and - as for today - nobody really knows if and how extensions will be concerned...

If ever insurance is required, then it will be a serious problem for agents, as a "insurance stamp" will be needed in the passport, and it would be a lie... and so they could be caught for that.

Let's wait and see...

Additional requirement for Non-immigrant Visa “O-A” (for retirement long stay) application   As of 31 October 2019, visa applicant for Non-Immigrant Visa “O-A” (for retirement long stay) must have health insurance which covers the whole period of stay in Thailand.

Agent here I come.

If you don't want to get health insurance, an agent can get you a non imm O plus year extension for 21,000 (15 months total), 1000 baht for a re-entry permit.

Forget the O-A

Does anyone know if they will accept Thai Gov't insurance? (I don't know what the limits are for that).

EDIT: I just noted the phrase "From Thai Embassy". I am correct in presuming that this would not apply to someone who got their visa inside the country (decades ago)?

Edited by ex-pat

6 minutes ago, ex-pat said:

Does anyone know if they will accept Thai Gov't insurance? (I don't know what the limits are for that).

EDIT: I just noted the phrase "From Thai Embassy". I am correct in presuming that this would not apply to someone who got their visa inside the country (decades ago)?

Regarding the Thai government insurance that should be acceptable based on the limitations because it's virtually 100% coverage both in and out if you go to the hospital you're registered at. But that said I have a sneaking hunch that they're not going to accept it I guess we'll see in due time

babydollsaddict.gif

4 minutes ago, Soi7 said:

Regarding the Thai government insurance that should be acceptable based on the limitations because it's virtually 100% coverage both in and out if you go to the hospital you're registered at. But that said I have a sneaking hunch that they're not going to accept it I guess we'll see in due time

OK. thanks. Reading a bit more I understand now this is very much breaking news and as is typical nobody is really clear including the gov't about what the hell is going on. Still, a refusal to accept it would kinda be like saying it's shite, isn't it? - I think that kind of loss of face is unlikely.