IGNORED

Who’s Going To Win The World Soccer Cup

WalterA

1 minute ago, Taptap said:

English people must be really proud of their football heritage!

That's one thing about these idiots I don't get ........... its PRIVATE property....... what if the tables are turned and someone (which you cant identify later coz there so many of them) destroys your car/house/neighbourhood.

Ding Ding ...... Please remember to like and subscribe.

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, froddo said:

Debate away, perhaps in a different thread:Number1a:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_golf

Well I know Tolkien insisted Hobbits invented golf - 'The Hobbit', page 24.

But then a Froddo would know that.

20 minutes ago, Taptap said:

English people must be really proud of their football heritage!

We have our share of drunken idiots, something in common with a lot of places.

Hopefully football is coming home

On Wednesday night I'll be in the pub cheering on England

Belgium :Number1a:

6 minutes ago, blue1878 said:

Hopefully football is coming home

On Wednesday night I'll be in the pub cheering on England

Yes, I'll be in Retox on Soi Lengkee, it will be rammed despite a 0100 kick-off time.

Fingers firmly crossed.

3 minutes ago, warmn40s said:

Belgium :Number1a:

Belgium are a good side, their tussle with France should be a cracker.

2 hours ago, Captain Dave said:

Just get back to that silly version you lot love, where the shorts are homo-erotic and you get points for missing the goal.

No true Football fan calls it soccer.

Didn't you Poms originally call it soccer?

1 minute ago, Convict said:

Didn't you Poms originally call it soccer?

Not that i'm aware of, its always been Football.

1 hour ago, mmaaarrrkkk said:

Another hands game that is called football. Don't understand this at all..... why not call golf or tennis  ; even Fomula1 , football as well?

Derp derp , because it's kicked by the foot and played with a ball

16 minutes ago, Captain Dave said:

Not that i'm aware of, its always been Football.

I think you'll find the word 'soccer' was first used at Oxford to describe association football

21 minutes ago, Convict said:

I think you'll find the word 'soccer' was first used at Oxford to describe association football

True, according to Oxford dictionary. But it also proves this game was originally called "Association football" or "football" in brief. Soccer is just a nickname.

"

What is the origin of the word soccer?

The word soccer comes from an abbreviation for Association (from Association Football, the 'official' name for the game) plus the addition of the suffix –er. This suffix (originally Rugby School slang, and then adopted by Oxford University), was appended to 'shortened' nouns, in order to form jocularwords.

1 hour ago, Captain Dave said:

Belgium are a good side, their tussle with France should be a cracker.

The English will disagree but I think this should be the final

23 minutes ago, Taptap said:

True, according to Oxford dictionary. But it also proves this game was originally called "Association football" or "football" in brief. Soccer is just a nickname.

"

What is the origin of the word soccer?

The word soccer comes from an abbreviation for Association (from Association Football, the 'official' name for the game) plus the addition of the suffix –er. This suffix (originally Rugby School slang, and then adopted by Oxford University), was appended to 'shortened' nouns, in order to form jocularwords.

How the hell does anyone get sockher from Association? Doesn't even sound or spell similar? Again why not call the americian version , 'Shoulder Padded Game with Helmets and Four  Times The Players You Need' or The Haha game for short?

2 hours ago, Captain Dave said:

Yes, I'll be in Retox on Soi Lengkee, it will be rammed despite a 0100 kick-off time.

Fingers firmly crossed.

I'd love to be watching the game in a bar in Pattaya

BUT

A pub in England full of English fans and drinking Cask Bitter is a good alternative

17 minutes ago, blue1878 said:

I'd love to be watching the game in a bar in Pattaya

BUT

A pub in England full of English fans and drinking Cask Bitter is a good alternative

+1....

I think this year is England's year.

I did not know her name, I did not know her name but I sure did love the way she laughed and called me honey.

I did not know her name, I did not know her name but I sure did love the way she laughed and took my money.

39 minutes ago, padfoot said:

I think this year is England's year.

I keep hearing that every 4th year :D

6 hours ago, gandt said:

Wiki says otherwise:

"According to FIFA, the Chinese competitive game cuju (蹴鞠, literally "kick ball") is the earliest form of football for which there is evidence.[4] Cuju players could use any part of the body apart from hands and the intent was kicking a ball through an opening into a net. It was remarkably similar to modern football, though similarities to rugby occurred.[15][16] During the Han Dynasty (206 BC – 220 AD), cuju games were standardised and rules were established.[15]"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_football

You didn't even read your own wiki link, lol

Notwithstanding any similarities to other ball games played around the world FIFA has recognised that no historical connection exists with any game played in antiquity outside Europe.[29] The modern rules of association football are based on the mid-19th century efforts to standardise the widely varying forms of football played in the public schools of England.

So as I already pointed out, other cultures / countries at various times played with a spherical object using feet, the wiki you linked even has an urn from Greece with a depiction from around the same period as the Chinese were purported to be playing their ball game,  the aboriginal tribes of Australia played ball games despite not having been influenced by other cultures. Marn Grook or marngrook, from the Gunditjmara language for "game ball" wfich in itself is distinct from the indigenous ball game Woggabaliri.

6 hours ago, Captain Dave said:

Maybe, but not the modern game, as codified in England in the 1800's

FIFA are notoriously anti-English (we keep pointing out the corruption) and are clearly embarrassed at its modern roots.

Football was illegal for several hundred years in England - to encourage Archery practice.

i believe theres a law on the books that says you can be fined 2p if you don,t practise with your longbow on sunday.

England would have to be the weakest team to make a semi in years

Beating Panama & Tunisia to get out of the group

Colombia on pens who were missing their best player

Sweden who were as flat as a tack

But no dumb cunts reckon it is coming home??

They are the luckiest fuckers in the comp.

The other teams have had to beat a "name" team or two to get to the Semis

They have had the softest run in many a year

Best part about all this is the hype that is going on will see them think they can actually play in the future and they will go into the Euros and Qatar thinking they are going to win it

Reality will still say they are not that good

What name team have Croatia beaten and does a name team mean anything i guess germany would be a name team and out in the group stages,Italy would be another name team and they didnt even qualify, Holland would be a name team and didnt qualify both these teams came across Sweden who progressed to the qtr finals then they met england

Its a funny old game isnt it

ITS COMING HOME

1 minute ago, Footymadstreams said:

What name team have Croatia beaten and does a name team mean anything i guess germany would be a name team and out in the group stages,Italy would be another name team and they didnt even qualify, Holland would be a name team and didnt qualify both these teams came across Sweden who progressed to the qtr finals then they met england

Its a funny old game isnt it

ITS COMING HOME

Argentina

Archived