Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Best Fish & Chips in Pattaya

onlyonetwo

48 minutes ago, Edge said:

Friday was not good.

Maybe try Golden Ferret next week.

I had the F/C special from the Queen Victoria Soi 6 /249 baht couple of days ago 
The fish (cod)was decent and well cooked with a nice batter chips were ok came with peas

I would repeat if I was in the area 

• Like 2

Ate twice at Sharples this trip, the battered jumbo-sausage was excellent, the haddock too, the batter is something they get right there  ...  chips tasted right, but getting slightly too-chunky IMO, I guess that's a hazard of them being hand-cut ?

4 hours ago, semi-retired member said:

Ate twice at Sharples this trip, the battered jumbo-sausage was excellent, the haddock too, the batter is something they get right there  ...  chips tasted right, but getting slightly too-chunky IMO, I guess that's a hazard of them being hand-cut ?

Which outlet?

Not been to the Jomtien one yet because initial reports were not good, but I can say that the franchise outlet by the Lake is much more impressive than the owned one in New Plaza....and IMO is doing a much better job.

7 minutes ago, Edge said:

Not been to the Jomtien one yet because initial reports were not good, but I can say that the franchise outlet by the Lake is much more impressive than the owned one in New Plaza....and IMO is doing a much better job.

Unfortunately Jomtien seems to quiet ( or empty ) a lot .from my observations passing by daily. 

3 hours ago, splitpin said:

Which outlet?

Soi New-Plaza

• 3 weeks later...

I finally tried Hemminway's on Soi Honey tonight for the fish & chips special. Nice to see the option of baked beans to peas and mushy peas, though I'm not really a fan of any of them. In any case, I had the haddock, batter was nice and crisp, fish done quite well and had a wedge of lemon and tarter sauce to accompany. The chips were what I'd call steak fries, and they were pretty decent.

My only complaint was that it came with some bread but no butter, and after looking at the last few pages of this thread prior to going, I was looking forward to trying the chip butty, but with no butter was not happening. Not being one to complain, I guess I've lived here long enough that I pretty much take whatever is put in front of me in a restaurant no matter what I really ordered or expected so no butter on the plate, TIT is what it is. Perhaps the judgement was made that I looked too pumpui to be eating fish and chips anyhow and so I really didn't need butter; I can almost accept that they were looking out for my health 555. However I was mildly disappointed that I was unable to experience the chip butty, so a bit of a no bueno on that score.

I still am also trying to wrap my head around why what seems to be a British Pub Grub place is named after an American author.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Much as I prefer the Loin cut, I decided to give Golden Ferret a try in New Plaza..... I wished I hadn't bothered.

Tails as expected same as next door  :rolleyes: but I opted for Haddock and they leave the skin on....can be OK if the oil is hot enough but this wasn't.

Chips also a disappointment as they're using frozen steak cut same as Hemingways.

IMG_20240329_140958.thumb.jpg.f54147f7af37ddfa1a98d1e38e84da82.jpg

Location not the best for me but regardless I won't be back....just have to keep moaning about the chips at 'spoons.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Srirachapocalypse said:

I finally tried Hemminway's on Soi Honey tonight for the fish & chips special. Nice to see the option of baked beans to peas and mushy peas, though I'm not really a fan of any of them. In any case, I had the haddock, batter was nice and crisp, fish done quite well and had a wedge of lemon and tarter sauce to accompany. The chips were what I'd call steak fries, and they were pretty decent.

My only complaint was that it came with some bread but no butter, and after looking at the last few pages of this thread prior to going, I was looking forward to trying the chip butty, but with no butter was not happening. Not being one to complain, I guess I've lived here long enough that I pretty much take whatever is put in front of me in a restaurant no matter what I really ordered or expected so no butter on the plate, TIT is what it is. Perhaps the judgement was made that I looked too pumpui to be eating fish and chips anyhow and so I really didn't need butter; I can almost accept that they were looking out for my health 555. However I was mildly disappointed that I was unable to experience the chip butty, so a bit of a no bueno on that score.

I still am also trying to wrap my head around why what seems to be a British Pub Grub place is named after an American author.

Ask for butter. 555

They might have just missed it and don't get into the routine of just accepting what they bring you here. You're also not helping them when they do mess up. 

I was next door to @Edge today at Sharples and even though I was happy with the meal (especially the fries cut thick and cooked perfectly), they didn't bring tartar sauce with the meal. No chance I'm just gonna accept the fuck up and eat my f&c without one of the main staples in f&c. Took a couple times asking for it from them to realize what was missing. All good after that and my current favorite. 

• Like 2

I'm probably going to give up on this quest for a while, unless I happen to be on DS or somewhere.....it's just depressing.

The thread title is fair enough, but to me 'The Best...' just means as good as it gets here, which isn't always even good. For those who actually believe that much of this compares with truly traditional back in UK....sorry, nowhere close.

Anyway, back to W'spoons for the Cod Loin, which was OK, but the chips are hopeless and have been for a while....maybe I should try mash?  :rolleyes:

IMG_20240405_180955.thumb.jpg.d847a750c816cb010bc3d1d329c13fc9.jpg

49 minutes ago, Edge said:

I'm probably going to give up on this quest for a while, unless I happen to be on DS or somewhere.....it's just depressing.

The thread title is fair enough, but to me 'The Best...' just means as good as it gets here, which isn't always even good. For those who actually believe that much of this compares with truly traditional back in UK....sorry, nowhere close.

Anyway, back to W'spoons for the Cod Loin, which was OK, but the chips are hopeless and have been for a while....maybe I should try mash?  :rolleyes:

IMG_20240405_180955.thumb.jpg.d847a750c816cb010bc3d1d329c13fc9.jpg

I have pretty much given up on ordering F/C  now in Pattaya last F/C I had was a few weeks ago from  Queen Victoria Soi 6 which was a 6.5/10 .Can not handle the disappointment any more ,always something major not right ,Witherspoons was my go to for F/C but the chips are terrible 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Pheat said:

I have pretty much given up on ordering F/C  now in Pattaya last F/C I had was a few weeks ago from  Queen Victoria Soi 6 which was a 6.5/10 .Can not handle the disappointment any more ,always something major not right ,Witherspoons was my go to for F/C but the chips are terrible 

You seemed satisfied and even said you'd repeat if in the area...

On 09/03/2024 at 22:22, Pheat said:

I had the F/C special from the Queen Victoria Soi 6 /249 baht couple of days ago 
The fish (cod)was decent and well cooked with a nice batter chips were ok came with peas

I would repeat if I was in the area 

20 minutes ago, LuvThaiPussy said:

You seemed satisfied and even said you'd repeat if in the area...

Oh well spotted LTP....how is he going to explain this.

4 hours ago, Edge said:

the Cod Loin, which was OK, but the chips are hopeless and have been for a while

Same experience that I had last year - the chips are just disappointing, at best.  I have tried a few different meals at Witherspoons and they have been very acceptable or better, but the fish and chips just doesn't cut it.

The nearest I ever had was in Bangkok many years ago, there was a chippy on Soi 23 just before you got to Cowboy, went there many times, it even smelt right as you walked in

6 minutes ago, splitpin said:

The nearest I ever had was in Bangkok many years ago, there was a chippy on Soi 23 just before you got to Cowboy, went there many times, it even smelt right as you walked in

Ian at Jolly Friar (see OP) got it right at the beginning, as did Goose's on Second Road, but they didn't last.

Ian at Frydays did OK for a basket fryer, but he's long gone too.

Nobody is likely to replicate the deep fat friers the traditional chippies in UK have, nor will they heat the oil (beef dripping hmm?) to the same temperatures.

• 3 weeks later...

Had the large cod and chips for 299b at Devonshire today. Fish was fresh and flaky. Let down by the batter which was really hard and impervious to seasoning. Vinegar and lemon juice simply slid off.  Chips were ok but not seasoned at all. Tartare sauce was not good either. Did not taste fresh at all. 

IMG_7077.jpeg

'Spoons are claiming they have improved their chips...and that they're still not frozen.

Can anyone confirm?

Screenshot_2024-04-25-04-52-19-516_com.facebook.orca2.jpg.7a66a5ac7cf3fbab1c003d993f3f3ba2.jpg

Two weeks ago I enjoyed cod and chips at Sharples on Thappraya Road Jomtien, large protion, very nice as I recall with real chips and a good crispy batter, cost 300+bht including a bottle of water.

image.thumb.jpeg.3842e73a5a7f29a7de169782e7a67356.jpeg

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Edge said:

'Spoons are claiming they have improved their chips...and that they're still not frozen.

Can anyone confirm?

Screenshot_2024-04-25-04-52-19-516_com.facebook.orca2.jpg.7a66a5ac7cf3fbab1c003d993f3f3ba2.jpg

From the photo hard to tell, but if it helps looks like McCann Frozen Chips :Laugh1:

4 minutes ago, FROST MEDIC999 said:

From the photo hard to tell, but if it helps looks like McCann Frozen Chips :Laugh1:

Asking folk on the ground.....we know how reliable photos can be 

Dean said def not frozen.   :rolleyes:

McCain's could be a plus.............  McCain Frozen Triple Cooked Gastro Chips Image 1

42 minutes ago, Edge said:

Asking folk on the ground.....we know how reliable photos can be 

Dean said def not frozen.   :rolleyes:

McCain's could be a plus.............  McCain Frozen Triple Cooked Gastro Chips Image 1

Am on the Ground just not in Pat's as yet 555

I looked at the Bag you attached Triple cooked, but are they not then cooked/heated to serve so actually making them Quadriple cooked 😘

Guess only way to really be sure is slink into the kitchen and see what they up to.

• Like 1

IMG_6804.jpeg

Have to say I haven’t heard of them but apparently a popular and longstanding US chain of fish & chip restaurants is opening a branch in Megabangna Mall in Bangkok.

• Like 1

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

^^^   so not Pattaya.

I was persuaded to cross the Great Divide (AKA Sukhumvit) to visit Craig's Bistro, Darkside, for the Friday special FnC....270 Baht incl a soft drink.

A little reluctant, knowing that the fish used is Pollack (AKA Coley in UK). The main attraction of Pollack is availability (no quotas) and low price. Back in the day Coley was about half the price of Cod and Haddock and some naughty FnC shops passed it off, esp late Fri/Sat nights when the pubs turned out. lt is probably factory farmed, perhaps from China. I assume it is cheaper than the offcut Tails from Bkk others are using.

The fish was actually OK...batter crisp and tasty. The Chips were the highlight...the mushy(?) peas sadly not.

Overall OK esp for the price.

IMG_20240426_144555.thumb.jpg.700f08c230a0c4ee36b558fab9308397.jpgIMG_20240426_144655.thumb.jpg.714d1f32d4d8a7a4c3f5f3fc1b980b18.jpg

28 minutes ago, Edge said:

^^^   so not Pattaya.

I was persuaded to cross the Great Divide (AKA Sukhumvit) to visit Craig's Bistro, Darkside, for the Friday special FnC....270 Baht incl a soft drink.

A little reluctant, knowing that the fish used is Pollack (AKA Coley in UK). The main attraction of Pollack is availability (no quotas) and low price. Back in the day Coley was about half the price of Cod and Haddock and some naughty FnC shops passed it off, esp late Fri/Sat nights when the pubs turned out. lt is probably factory farmed, perhaps from China. I assume it is cheaper than the offcut Tails from Bkk others are using.

The fish was actually OK...batter crisp and tasty. The Chips were the highlight...the mushy(?) peas sadly not.

Overall OK esp for the price.

IMG_20240426_144555.thumb.jpg.700f08c230a0c4ee36b558fab9308397.jpgIMG_20240426_144655.thumb.jpg.714d1f32d4d8a7a4c3f5f3fc1b980b18.jpg

I see you made it a 4some 5555

No Condoms again :rolleyes:

Looks a lot of batter so the question is will you go back or is it Withys next week again ?