IGNORED

Best Fish & Chips in Pattaya

onlyonetwo

I know I will get some backlash for this but any fish and chip shops that do good grilled fish?  :07:

• 3 weeks later...

Found myself wrong side of Suk today so thought I should try Sharples Darkside.
Service a tad tardy as a group of 6 seemed to over stretch them?
The venue itself was superb...far surpassed the New Plaza location.
The meal, tails as expected 😞 was spot on. 299 Baht.
Am I allowed to say? The franchisee taking it to the next level.
.IMG_20240126_151235.thumb.jpg.488913008ee327c8bb38fbf04d9ec71d.jpg

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Edge said:

Found myself wrong side of Suk today so thought I should try Sharples Darkside.
Service a tad tardy as a group of 6 seemed to over stretch them?
The venue itself was superb...far surpassed the New Plaza location.
The meal, tails as expected 😞 was spot on. 299 Baht.
Am I allowed to say? The franchisee taking it to the next level.
.IMG_20240126_151235.thumb.jpg.488913008ee327c8bb38fbf04d9ec71d.jpg

Looks better than what they dish up in Jomtien

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, splitpin said:

The chips in Jomtien are awful.  Apparently if you ask them to cook them for longer they will end up ok.  Maybe that's just how the Pommies like them, but soggy and oily is not for me.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, splitpin said:

1 hour ago, Love_to_eat_Thai said:

The chips in Jomtien are awful.  Apparently if you ask them to cook them for longer they will end up ok.  Maybe that's just how the Pommies like them, but soggy and oily is not for me.

The one in Jomtien is also a franchise, so up to whoever runs it.....read mixed reports, not been there and not planning to.

The chips in the Lakeside pic were pretty good, though I would have cut them less chunky and double/treble dipped them to make them more crispy.

It would be nice if they offered Loin as an option, but anyway much better than New Plaza IMO.

Edited by Edge
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Love_to_eat_Thai said:

The chips in Jomtien are awful

I have had chips from Jomtiem branch 3 times over the past month and have been great each time

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Back to the 'spoons

IMG_20240301_152739.thumb.jpg.23075c233096c110cf071632af45018d.jpg

IMG_20240301_152749.thumb.jpg.bcf66cff69cfb63b7389436b16a1cc71.jpg

On 01/03/2024 at 11:47, Edge said:

Back to the 'spoons

People forget just how essential that slice of bread and butter really is with fish and chips...

On 01/03/2024 at 18:47, Edge said:

Back to the 'spoons

Last couple of times I have had the F/C from Witherspoons half the chips were undercooked and the batter was really thick and greasy.

Had the F/C special from the Robin Hood yesterday much better than Witherspoons in my opinion bit more expensive 349 baht but worth the xtra baht

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tdh1991 said:

People forget just how essential that slice of bread and butter really is with fish and chips...

Why essential? I'm not English but find it completely unnecessary with the battered fish and fried chips already. I tell whoever serves it that way to take the bread back as I won't eat it. 

Edited by LuvThaiPussy

5 minutes ago, LuvThaiPussy said:

Why essential? I'm not English but find it completely unnecessary with the battered fish and fried chips already. I tell whoever served it that way to take the bread back as I won't eat it. 

We like our chip,(and fish sometimes), butties (sandwiches).😊

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Pheat said:

Last couple of times I have had the F/C from Witherspoons half the chips were undercooked and the batter was really thick and greasy.

Had the F/C special from the Robin Hood yesterday much better than Witherspoons in my opinion bit more expensive 349 baht but worth the xtra baht

Four happy chappies there, no complaints......had a couple of known moaners on board so maybe Dean told the kitchen to get it right.  :Dunno1:

RH is still Tails right?

Best fish and chips is subjective...same as which beer is best here...up to the individuals taste 👍

• Like 1

On 06/01/2024 at 13:05, TNTucker said:

I know I will get some backlash for this but any fish and chip shops that do good grilled fish?  :07:

I thought the grilled haddock at Hemingways on Soi 11 was pretty good.  Came with a good portion of steamed veggies and potatoes, some butter sauce and some other sauce, as well as some tartar sauce. It was one of their Friday specials last week for around 250b.  Not sure if they will continue doing that on Fridays or not.

Edited by Kale
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, petermik said:

Best fish and chips is subjective...same as which beer is best here...up to the individuals taste 👍

Deja Vu ?    :rolleyes:

If it was objective eg Tails vs Loins, then we could decide which was best on a given day.....but they might fcuk up the cooking next day?

So many threads are subjective reports, including obviously which girls are stunners or a good shag etc etc etc

Would you have all those threads closed?

BTW - Sorry my post confused you.  :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Edited by Edge

4 hours ago, LuvThaiPussy said:

Why essential? I'm not English but find it completely unnecessary with the battered fish and fried chips already. I tell whoever serves it that way to take the bread back as I won't eat it. 

Kind of answered it yourself there mate, your not English, what we tend to do is make a chip butty (sandwich) butter the bread, throw the chips onto it and fold over... bliss 

Regards

11 hours ago, Edge said:

Four happy chappies there, no complaints......had a couple of known moaners on board so maybe Dean told the kitchen to get it right.  :Dunno1:

RH is still Tails right?

I have had the Witherspoons F/C Friday special at least 50 times and has always be ok just the last couple of times has been terrible undercooked Chips and really greasy thick batter .

But the last visit was about 5/6 weeks ago so the issues must have been resolved now if you have visited recently and all was ok .

40 minutes ago, Pheat said:

I have had the Witherspoons F/C Friday special at least 50 times and has always be ok just the last couple of times has been terrible undercooked Chips and really greasy thick batter .

But the last visit was about 5/6 weeks ago so the issues must have been resolved now if you have visited recently and all was ok .

That would be a brave assumption indeed.
One of our party was there 2 weeks ago and not happy....but this week he was.
You can never be sure it will go right in the kitchen....but a yakyak may help.

RH kitchen may be more consistent (:Dunno1: I haven't been for quite a while) but I try to avoid Tails anyway.
Tails were basically a waste product when I was in the trade, whereas Loins were prime cuts and I don't understand why more places don't offer them, given they are apparently the same price ffrom the supplier.

On 03/03/2024 at 08:30, LuvThaiPussy said:

A nice piece of bread and butter to make a chip butty.It’s all part of the fine dining experience 😁

15 hours ago, rizzle said:

Robin Hood.  Haddock + Chips fried in beef drippings....for the win. 

Had the Cod & Chips in beef dripping at Robin Hood last week and it was excellent. My buddy from Stoke immediately gathered the chips in bread and had the "butty" before anything else. 555

image.png

5 minutes ago, Jebb said:

Had the Cod & Chips in beef dripping at Robin Hood last week and it was excellent. My buddy from Stoke immediately gathered the chips in bread and had the "butty" before anything else. 555

I had the same couple of Fridays ago was excellent and the chips were Off The Charts 

3 hours ago, Gaztop08 said:

A nice piece of bread and butter to make a chip butty.It’s all part of the fine dining experience 😁

3 hours ago, Jebb said:

3 hours ago, Pheat said:

I had the same couple of Fridays ago was excellent and the chips were Off The Charts 

Pigs...the lot of you.....:Laugh1:

From Nicky’s.  Perfectly acceptable fish. Chips were not proper chips but edible and I was hoping they would have the Chinese style curry sauce which they unfortunately did not. 

IMG_6987.jpeg

On 03/03/2024 at 20:45, Pheat said:

Friday was not good.

Maybe try Golden Ferret next week.