Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Best Fish & Chips in Pattaya

onlyonetwo

At witherspoon this Friday, still good. Very big, couldn't eat it all, too much for me.....but yummy

20230818_173332.thumb.jpg.6003043f9076b5bddfc8b1ef33a5459d.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Had Fish & Chips at Sharples three of the four Fridays of my last trip. Ordered cod the first time and haddock the other two. Not sure if I could tell the difference in a blindfold test. Both were good. The highlight of the meal were the chips. In the US we would call them steak fries. Large chunks of potatoes slightly crispy on the outside soft on the inside. Went for the fish came back for the chips.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sac Les said:

Had Fish & Chips at Sharples three of the four Fridays of my last trip. Ordered cod the first time and haddock the other two. Not sure if I could tell the difference in a blindfold test. Both were good. The highlight of the meal were the chips. In the US we would call them steak fries. Large chunks of potatoes slightly crispy on the outside soft on the inside. Went for the fish came back for the chips.

Which outlet?

• 1 month later...

Here we are again
Friday Special at Witherspoons 269 Baht.
Proper flaky butterflyed  Cod  Loins.... no tail end offcuts here.

IMG_20231103_154338.thumb.jpg.31f3a565af99ed5b61ffbbf6dfb19848.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Cod & Chips at O’Garas on Pratumnak Road. 

Not the cheapest at 380 baht but that seems the ballpark for pubs etc in a lot of Pattaya now.

Chips not bad for frozen.

Generous portion of tartare sauce, though the creamy style you tend to get in Thailand not the tangy U.K. style.

The highlight was the cod. Although a tail piece, it was thick and flaky with plenty of fish and it was well cooked. My photo doesn’t really do it justice. One of the better pieces of cod I’ve had in Pattaya for a while. (better than the flat pieces with leaking turmeric served in certain ‘traditional f&c places here :rolleyes:)

IMG_3830.jpeg

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

• 2 weeks later...

Just a head’s up, I had it again and it was very different. The fish was in bubbly batter not breadcrumbs, though it was still go. The ‘chips’ were thin fries and not as good.

They have 2 chefs so I guess it depends which one is working.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My usual Cod Loin from Witherspoons....

...plus a pic from Outback, cos they're also serving Cod Loin.

IMG_20240105_181044.thumb.jpg.e9d32570769865a07e084ced5218a27a.jpgIMG_20240105_181202.thumb.jpg.0089558a5770d549c0bcf3cdca01e9cb.jpgIMG_20240105_182626.thumb.jpg.1385c288cb2227849d4e78f5086f65a2.jpg

Both places are butterflying the Loin, but because my friend asked for very lightly battered, you can see how it's done more clearly.

Edited by Edge
  • Like 3

And another Addict in Sharples Jomtien yesterday. 

Friday haddock special…thumbs up from me! 

IMG_2376.jpeg

Almost all of the Cod and Haddock used by FnC restaurant is from the same source...a processing plant in Bangkok which receives whole fish from Norway, returning the prime cuts and disposing of the offcuts and trimmings here.
Both the Loins (Cod) and the Tails are classed as offcuts and I'm told they are sold at the same price. Tails are less Flaky as there is less muscle there.
This is a quirk to me, as in my time in UK  fish trade Tails (often used in Fish Cakes) were about 30% the price of whole fillets whilst Loins were at a premium. 
Loins at the same price is a bargain IMO.

In this photo you can see that both the Loin and the Tail have been removed.

image.thumb.png.a85b7876390467f572f17954f1960005.png

Therefore here in Pattaya, one portion of fish is not any different to another except for the cooking and the fact that it's either a Tail or Loin.
Of course, either is much superior to Pangasius/Dory, which sometimes appears in the thread.

Hope that helps

The loin of cod is the middle third of a cod fillet, and is especially moist and flaky. As with the rest of the fish, cod loin has a sweet, subtle flavour and pearly white flesh and is just at home in a full flavoured sauce as it is coated in batter.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Trevor said:

And another Addict in Sharples Jomtien yesterday. 

Friday haddock special…thumbs up from me! 

IMG_2376.jpeg

Looks ok, but for me, the batter is not the same as when it was in Tree Town. The batter on the fish above this, is my personal like

It may be that I have a jaded palate, I have found cut/portion type/taste varies little with fish in batter, I feel sometimes the batter has more influence?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Edge said:

IMG_20240105_181044.thumb.jpg.e9d32570769865a07e084ced5218a27a.jpgIMG_20240105_181202.thumb.jpg.0089558a5770d549c0bcf3cdca01e9cb.jpgIMG_20240105_182626.thumb.jpg.1385c288cb2227849d4e78f5086f65a2.jpg

Both places are butterflying the Loin, but because my friend asked for very lightly battered, you can see how it's done more clearly.

If you served that in my part of the UK you would be bankrupt within a week.

It looks dreadful.

A slither of fish covered in burnt batter. Expats here seen to have forgotten what a real fish supper looks like, let alone tastes like.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, PeterStewart66 said:

If you served that in my part of the UK you would be bankrupt within a week

Well good thing it's a thread about...

Best Fish & Chips in Pattaya :Crazy1:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PeterStewart66 said:

It looks dreadful.

A slither of fish covered in burnt batter. Expats here seen to have forgotten what a real fish supper looks like, let alone tastes like.

Well of course F&C shops in the UK are going bankrupt/out of business, I gave up using my local when it got to £9  (400thb at todays rate ) in the take away let alone what you could pay in a restaurant with some dire offerings. It can be the same here, hence why there are threads like this trying to be informative rather than just disparaging.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Edge said:

Looks good, will try next Friday, not been to Spoons for a while now, always consistent. BTW, do they still do the mini F&C, ideal size for the missus? Must say, like the vibe in Witherspoons, staff are good fun.

• Like 3

Just now, jimboh said:

Looks good, will try next Friday, not been to Spoons for a while now, always consistent. BTW, do they still do the mini F&C, ideal size for the missus? Must say, like the vibe in Witherspoons, staff are good fun.

Yes, they still do 2 sizes. 

• Like 2

Just now, jimboh said:

Last advert on FB a day ago? The mini was still on there.

2 hours ago, PeterStewart66 said:

I can only suggest you stay there then. :rolleyes:

It's a Cod Loin butterflied...if you don't butterfly it then it's too thick basically.

I'm well aware what FnC in UK is like, but as I often say, it's as good as it gets here currently... not as good as Jolly Friar or Goose's were, but they both closed.

Instead of vengeful trolling why not post a review of your own, presumably from your beloved Sportsman ? 

Screenshot_2023-10-31-17-17-57-126_com.facebook.katana2.thumb.jpg.8af59470bccdba296c8ea4929f1bbe7d.jpg

🥰🥰🥰

Edited by Edge

44 minutes ago, jimboh said:

Always good service.

I specifically ask for mine well done and love it when the batter has 'exploded' in the pan.

Too many have the oil temp' way too low (hot kitchens) and that's why you see so many smooth, insipid looking batter pics.

@geezerrb above.

Yes that was what I was implying, many here are only impressed by the batter and have no idea what was inside.

For those who want that I recommend the lady at SB end of LKM... but it ain't Cod or Haddock.

• Like 2