Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Tourist SIM Packages - June 2017

Sick Water Buffalo

Thanks GreyMan, I see a few packages that may work for me. (AIS weekly package for 203 baht)

I guess the big question is whether I can tether to my other devices as tethering is not something I've used previously.   I have an android phone/tv box and will be running a Windows laptop, if that makes any difference.  Do the carriers or even android build restrict the use of tethering?   Is it as easy as pairing bluetooth?  Anyone with practical knowledge on tethering in Pattaya?

Sorry this is a bit off topic.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The dtac Website is completly available in english. It lists all the packages, prices and codes to activate.

D

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

29 minutes ago, dirkdeee said:

Thanks GreyMan, I see a few packages that may work for me. (AIS weekly package for 203 baht)

I guess the big question is whether I can tether to my other devices as tethering is not something I've used previously.   I have an android phone/tv box and will be running a Windows laptop, if that makes any difference.  Do the carriers or even android build restrict the use of tethering?   Is it as easy as pairing bluetooth?  Anyone with practical knowledge on tethering in Pattaya?

Have never come up against an option that didn't allow tethering. I travel with a MiFi expressly for the purpose of connecting all of my devices.

15 hours ago, GreyMan said:

xmr_taxi_to_pattaya.jpg.pagespeed.ic.n3b

Prices may be 100 baht more now. Ask for confirmation. Book at least two days in advance, with flight number.

Thanks, I was aware of that, I referred to how many people I could see on the phone booths at that time, as to have an idea when to book it, as I am landing at 18:05 h. I think 19 h should be okay, I hope?

I am aware of Mr T and Meow. Booked Nam once, more details I'll give on the other thread, as I want to book everyone to see what they're like...

10 hours ago, Mishko said:

Thanks, I was aware of that, I referred to how many people I could see on the phone booths at that time, as to have an idea when to book it, as I am landing at 18:05 h. I think 19 h should be okay, I hope?

I am aware of Mr T and Meow. Booked Nam once, more details I'll give on the other thread, as I want to book everyone to see what they're like...

If the queues are too long at the airport, get a SIM when you arrive in Pattaya....or just get a 49 baht SIM from the booth with the shortest queue. All 49/50 baht SIMs at the booths come with at least 15 baht worth of calling credit. Though they'll all try to tell you otherwise.

AIS have similar options to TRUE. Same package for 213 baht *777*984# then to press the Dial button. Though you don't get the free access to HotSpots.

They have free WiFi at the airport if you need to send a message to a friend.

Hey guys I just arrived at the airport. True had a 15d/8gb /599 baht and 30d/6gb/600 30/10g/850 so the packages have changed since the original post. Was too lazy to take a photo sorry.

:) bangkok - 2 months :D chiang mai - 5 months :P pattaya - 6 trips and counting 
ผมไม่พูดภาษาไทย...ไม่เป็นไร!!

On ‎11‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 10:39 AM, GreyMan said:

If the queues are too long at the airport, get a SIM when you arrive in Pattaya....or just get a 49 baht SIM from the booth with the shortest queue. All 49/50 baht SIMs at the booths come with at least 15 baht worth of calling credit. Though they'll all try to tell you otherwise.

AIS have similar options to TRUE. Same package for 213 baht *777*984# then to press the Dial button. Though you don't get the free access to HotSpots.

They have free WiFi at the airport if you need to send a message to a friend.

I had to leave it because I landed half an hour after schedule and the driver was already waiting for me. I'm here at Wongamat Residences and their internet connection is a joke. I hope the manager can give me some light tomorrow but I'll probably need something to replace the wifi altogether. I also forgot to bring the charger for my laptop so I'll be looking for a cheap adapter if there is such thing here. The only place I know is the Central Festival but if you guys know a better place . I'll give TrueMove a go with the SIM

I have never had problems tethering with an android phone. That said I wouldn't tether with that package. 6Mbps is hardly fast enough to tether.

Also, unless the only thing you plan to do is messaging, I wouldn't get any plan with less than 100Mbps speed. That is the biggest difference with the cheaper plans. If you are used to 4G/LTE speed, you can't live with anything less!

32 minutes ago, hioctane said:

I have never had problems tethering with an android phone. That said I wouldn't tether with that package. 6Mbps is hardly fast enough to tether.

Also, unless the only thing you plan to do is messaging, I wouldn't get any plan with less than 100Mbps speed. That is the biggest difference with the cheaper plans. If you are used to 4G/LTE speed, you can't live with anything less!

Why are you writing this nonsense? Everything in bold is utter nonsense. 

Most streaming services recommend at least 2Mbps. If you are running Netflix in HD, 5 Mbps is recommended.

So stating that 6 Mbps is hardly fast enough to tether is just....nonsense.

Stating that 6 Mbps is only good for messaging is just....nonsense. Utter nonsense.

Stating that cheaper plans are slower is just.....nonsense.  No one streaming will notice the difference between 20 Mbps or 60 Mbps. The only time you will notice is if actually downloading a large file to one's hard drive.

Your post is really just nonsense. The only bit that hold water is that tethering with an Android phone should be fine. The rest....utter nonsense. :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Mishko said:

I had to leave it because I landed half an hour after schedule and the driver was already waiting for me. I'm here at Wongamat Residences and their internet connection is a joke. I hope the manager can give me some light tomorrow but I'll probably need something to replace the wifi altogether. I also forgot to bring the charger for my laptop so I'll be looking for a cheap adapter if there is such thing here. The only place I know is the Central Festival but if you guys know a better place . I'll give TrueMove a go with the SIM

Personally I prefer AIS, but since you need a new adaptor for your laptop, you will need to go to Tukcom, on Pattaya Tai(South Pattaya Road)  Perhaps on the third floor. 

Tukcom

Right next to Tukcom is a TRUE outlet. So you can pick up a normal SIM from there. If you are facing Tukcom on the South Pattaya road, you will note a Kasikorn Bank branch to your left, on the next block. Next to the Kasikorn bank, is the TRUE outlet.

They should have a wider range of promotions to offer; http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/package/prepaid?ln=en

For instance, the 49 baht Social SIM;

1.JPG

2.JPG

If you need to replace the WiFi altogether, and you are tethering with your Windows phone, you can buy the 1GB GB unlimited package and then perhaps the 10GB add-on.

If you intend to download films and such and need larger amounts of data, I would abandon TRUE altogether and get an AIS SIM.

Most streaming services recommend at least 2Mbps. If you are running Netflix in HD, 5 Mbps is recommended.
Stating that 6 Mbps is only good for messaging is just....nonsense. Utter nonsense.
Stating that cheaper plans are slower is just.....nonsense.  No one streaming will notice the difference between 20 Mbps or 60 Mbps. The only time you will notice is if actually downloading a large file to one's hard drive.
Your post is really just nonsense. The only bit that hold water is that tethering with an Android phone should be fine. The rest....utter nonsense. :rolleyes:
All speeds are theoretical maximums. In real life, the actual speed is only a fraction of that due to many factors such as location and signal strength. You can run speed tests to see from yourself. Based on personal experience, 6Mbps was slow as sh*t. Now it might have been due to location, but it was pretty slow all over Pattaya meanwhile 4G was super fast for the same places I frequented. I will be glad to test again this upcoming holiday. I am all about saving money, but not at the expense of speed!

24 minutes ago, GreyMan said:

Thanks GreyMan, I was going to ask for a clarification from hicotane as I get about 10mbps via wifi for my tv box here at home and it streams fine, along with all the other internet requirements.  If the speed runs too slow to stream, I can always just download the show to watch later.  I'm not in Pattaya to watch tv, but want the option to follow a few shows that may be in season.  In any case I can certainly try it out as it's only 200 baht and only for a 7 day plan, after which I assume I can just top up the same again or switch to another option.

6 minutes ago, hioctane said:
32 minutes ago, GreyMan said:

All speeds are theoretical maximums. In real life, the actual speed is only a fraction of that due to many factors such as location and signal strength. You can run speed tests to see from yourself. Based on personal experience, 6Mbps was slow as sh*t. Now it might have been due to location, but it was pretty slow all over Pattaya meanwhile 4G was super fast for the same places I frequented. I will be glad to test again this upcoming holiday. I am all about saving money, but not at the expense of speed!

So, let's get this clear.....are you suggesting that you actually subscribed to the AIS 'capped at 6 Mbps' package? 

The difference with a capped package, it that you get a speed close to the cap. Whereas with an up to 300 Mbps package, you can end up with less than a capped package, dependent on the variables.

Apart from that, I have an LTE capable MiFi. I subscribe to normal 3G/4G packages. Using AIS, I get around 20 Mbps. With DTAC and TRUE, I get around 2 Mbps with their 4G packages.

So, one's mileage can vary enormously. A solid 6 Mbps package is not slow. Slow is slow.

1 minute ago, dirkdeee said:

Thanks GreyMan, I was going to ask for a clarification from hicotane as I get about 10mbps via wifi for my tv box here at home and it streams fine, along with all the other internet requirements.  If the speed runs too slow to stream, I can always just download the show to watch later.  I'm not in Pattaya to watch tv, but want the option to follow a few shows that may be in season.  In any case I can certainly try it out as it's only 200 baht and only for a 7 day plan, after which I assume I can just top up the same again or switch to another option.

Yes. Definitely test the SIM before adding credit and choosing a package. One network's SIM in your location might be superfast, the other, deadly slow. Usually a 49 baht SIM will be supplied with some free data. So test the SIM at your location first. the AIS Play SIM gives you 1GB for three days for free. Same with the TRUE Social SIM. Not sure about DTAC.

Personally I prefer AIS, but since you need a new adaptor for your laptop, you will need to go to Tukcom, on Pattaya Tai(South Pattaya Road)  Perhaps on the third floor. 

Tukcom

Thanks GreyMan, I would need the cheapest adapter I can get away with cause I forgot mine at home. I want one of those universal ones and not the brand (dell latitude)

Since I'm planning to buy a Microsoft Surface at some point next year, would be nice if it worked on it too, instead of having to bring over this crappy old clunk on my next visit

21 hours ago, Mishko said:

Thanks GreyMan, I would need the cheapest adapter I can get away with cause I forgot mine at home. I want one of those universal ones and not the brand (dell latitude)

Since I'm planning to buy a Microsoft Surface at some point next year, would be nice if it worked on it too, instead of having to bring over this crappy old clunk on my next visit

You'll need to check, using the DELL model number, as to whether you need a 65 watt or 90 watt power supply.

You'll need to check, using the DELL model number, as to whether you need a 65 watt or 90 watt power supply.

Well I went to True outlet with a Thai lady, next to Tukcom, they wanted 200 BHTS just for the SIM alone, I said stuff it. Then in Tukcom was more or less the same thing, so ended up asking in 7/11 where they had the Sims at 49 bhts but they wanted to see a Thai ID card in order to sell it, so couldn't buy. Lady will try again tomorrow as she's to go somewhere with that card.

The adapters after many attempts with different sorts, one was selling for 500 bhts but when I told him my model DELL latitude D630 he said too small, then most only wanted to push the original for 2000 bht or universal at 1000 bht, one selling a used one for 800 bhts, I said what.

Finally found one on the third floor selling a new one for 590 Bhts, he tried the plug on a dell d620 he was selling 2nd hand and it fit, I'm still to check the voltage and if it works

POST EDIT: and it doesn't work.. It plugs in but does not charge I'm not sure what the problem is but the voltage and current is what I would use at home. Will have to go again later.

9 hours ago, Mishko said:

Well I went to True outlet with a Thai lady, next to Tukcom, they wanted 200 BHTS just for the SIM alone, I said stuff it. Then in Tukcom was more or less the same thing, so ended up asking in 7/11 where they had the Sims at 49 bhts but they wanted to see a Thai ID card in order to sell it, so couldn't buy. Lady will try again tomorrow as she's to go somewhere with that card.

The adapters after many attempts with different sorts, one was selling for 500 bhts but when I told him my model DELL latitude D630 he said too small, then most only wanted to push the original for 2000 bht or universal at 1000 bht, one selling a used one for 800 bhts, I said what.

Finally found one on the third floor selling a new one for 590 Bhts, he tried the plug on a dell d620 he was selling 2nd hand and it fit, I'm still to check the voltage and if it works

POST EDIT: and it doesn't work.. It plugs in but does not charge I'm not sure what the problem is but the voltage and current is what I would use at home. Will have to go again later.

I've never seen nor heard of a 200 baht SIM. Now I'm really wondering about your theory of those things happening to you. I don't get why an official TRUE outlet would say a SIM is 200 baht. Perhaps something is being lost in the translation.

Even in Tukcom you can buy a SIM for 50 baht on the first floor, but for 100 baht they will register it for you. 

The SIM is 29 or 49 baht.  Go to the AIS store in the basement of Central Festival, adjacent to McDonalds. 50 baht SIM there.

Dell AC adapter spec.

Did you see it charge the D620?

Dell batt.JPG

3 hours ago, GreyMan said:

I've never seen nor heard of a 200 baht SIM. Now I'm really wondering about your theory of those things happening to you. I don't get why an official TRUE outlet would say a SIM is 200 baht. Perhaps something is being lost in the translation.

Even in Tukcom you can buy a SIM for 50 baht on the first floor, but for 100 baht they will register it for you. 

The SIM is 29 or 49 baht.  Go to the AIS store in the basement of Central Festival, adjacent to McDonalds. 50 baht SIM there.

Dell AC adapter spec.

Did you see it charge the D620?

Dell batt.JPG

I know what she said, and as she said it to me, the staff girl was listening and staring, so they indeed quoted that price. I asked, is that for every SIM? She said yeah. I walked straight out.

I didn't see it charge as at that very moment I was already having an argument with the lady. I had turned back already once after buying it as I remembered it only had one connector head and I had concerns it would not fit, so I asked to go back before leaving the store and she wasn't too impressed with that. The adapter on the back said it was valid for DELL models but I should have remained doubtful and question it, seeing the charging. That's what I got for trusting them and letting guard down only an instant, won't happen again

The DELL D620 was then there at a store close to theirs, being sold 2nd hand, didn't see it first time around. It wasn't his shop so I don't know how easy it would have been for him to ask permission and plug the thing in somewhere

So, let's get this clear.....are you suggesting that you actually subscribed to the AIS 'capped at 6 Mbps' package? 
The difference with a capped package, it that you get a speed close to the cap. Whereas with an up to 300 Mbps package, you can end up with less than a capped package, dependent on the variables.
Apart from that, I have an LTE capable MiFi. I subscribe to normal 3G/4G packages. Using AIS, I get around 20 Mbps. With DTAC and TRUE, I get around 2 Mbps with their 4G packages.
So, one's mileage can vary enormously. A solid 6 Mbps package is not slow. Slow is slow.

Yes, I subscribed to the 6Mbps capped package. I didn't realize it. Their shady advertising said max or unlimited speed. Anyways, it gets confusing.

I agree if you get 6 Mbps or the advertised speed it is great, but you never do. It is always much less.

All I know is that browsing Facebook was a chore. It felt like 3G speed.

I will test again this upcoming holiday.

8 hours ago, hioctane said:

Yes, I subscribed to the 6Mbps capped package. I didn't realize it. Their shady advertising said max or unlimited speed. Anyways, it gets confusing.

I agree if you get 6 Mbps or the advertised speed it is great, but you never do. It is always much less.

All I know is that browsing Facebook was a chore. It felt like 3G speed.

I will test again this upcoming holiday.

What "shady advertising" would that be? It would not have stated MAX unless it was the maximum speed package. It is unlimited, so nothing "shady" about that.

As to the "never do" statement, that is simply not true. I always got the full capped speed offered by DTAC. TRUE was more unreliable.

I can test the AIS  6 Mbps service if it still around when I'm there. One day is 37 baht.  *777*7209#

Though I won't use it in general as I download my media, so prefer more bandwidth.

51 minutes ago, GreyMan said:

Was this the TRUE outlet that you visited?

I find hard to shift the map around in this piece of s$&t I have for a phone.

But it looks like the one I went in. I know that it was in South Pattaya Rd and almost next door to Tukcom.

I just received a text from Thai girl saying she found me the social sim with the 1 GB for 7 days in the offer. So I hope I can be sorted.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just been looking at the various packages and noticed something interesting on the AIS 49thb travellers sim. In the fine print it states that any top up packages will throttle the speed to 384Kbps.

Just thought it might be worthwile to let others know as I consider this behaviour a bit of a scam.

However the other sims they offer for similar prices don't seem to attract this condition.

3 minutes ago, dead78 said:

I've just been looking at the various packages and noticed something interesting on the AIS 49thb travellers sim. In the fine print it states that any top up packages will throttle the speed to 384Kbps.

Just thought it might be worthwile to let others know as I consider this behaviour a bit of a scam.

However the other sims they offer for similar prices don't seem to attract this condition.

Before you jump to conclusions, have you considered that they mean that instead of some packages being throttled to 128kbps after the full speed data has been depleted, that you are instead throttled to 384 kbps?

Archived