IGNORED

Tourist SIM Packages - June 2017

Sick Water Buffalo

5 hours ago, GreyMan said:

AIS has always charged 9 baht + VAT for International SMS.  Never 20 baht + VAT. Perhaps you sent a long text message.

"- Type message (Maximum cap is 160 alphabet)"

Yes, max 160 caps cost 10b and 161 20b, counted as 2 SMS.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have now two sim cards that I tried to extend once I was back, but it wouldn't let me (they needed to be 3 months active or have spent 200 bhts on each)

Is there a way to reactivate them without having to buy again sim cards?

2 hours ago, Mishko said:

I have now two sim cards that I tried to extend once I was back, but it wouldn't let me (they needed to be 3 months active or have spent 200 bhts on each)

Is there a way to reactivate them without having to buy again sim cards?

Once you were back where? I guess you mean U.K. 

Depends on how much out of date. Have they already expired?

2 hours ago, GreyMan said:

Once you were back where? I guess you mean U.K. 

Depends on how much out of date. Have they already expired?

Yes, from my trip in the summer this year. When I was back I tried to extend the sims but got an SMS saying I needed to wait three months. It turns out the credit I had put expired in two! I didn't know that, and after the three months I couldn't top it up. I don't really know if they are expired, I see crosses on the coverage bars, maybe they are.

31 minutes ago, Mishko said:

Yes, from my trip in the summer this year. When I was back I tried to extend the sims but got an SMS saying I needed to wait three months. It turns out the credit I had put expired in two! I didn't know that, and after the three months I couldn't top it up. I don't really know if they are expired, I see crosses on the coverage bars, maybe they are.

What did you do to try to top it up earlier? When are you back in Thailand? 

I stopped getting sim cards when I switched to T-Mobile in the USA. It provides free data roaming in 119 countries, including Thailand, and 20c/minute phone calls. They also allow free wifi calling, so calls from your hotel etc are free.

The free data roaming is supposed to be limited to 2G speed, but it seems fine for me.

28 minutes ago, Biennial said:

I stopped getting sim cards when I switched to T-Mobile in the USA. It provides free data roaming in 119 countries, including Thailand, and 20c/minute phone calls. They also allow free wifi calling, so calls from your hotel etc are free.

The free data roaming is supposed to be limited to 2G speed, but it seems fine for me.

20c per minute is a lot more than 3c per minute and 128 kbps is just enough to keep you connected to the outside world, but not much else.

On the other hand I also have a SIM that gives me free worldwide Roaming and it's most useful for being able to keep in contact wherever I go. But I still need local SIM for streaming etc.

9 hours ago, Mishko said:

Did you mean top-up or add validity?

11 hours ago, GreyMan said:

What did you do to try to top it up earlier? When are you back in Thailand? 

4 days before I left Thailand at the end of August I put about 300 bht to extend both sim cards (I had bought a dual sim phone from True)

I did this in a 7/11 and they gave me a receipt but didn't realise the credit also had a expiry date (either 45 days or 2 months IIRC)

I am planning to hit Pattaya again either in July or August 2018

3 hours ago, GreyMan said:

Did you mean top-up or add validity?

Yes add validity, but I reckon neither top up the expired credit, the phone I bought is a Lenovo from True, I think it's locked but don't know for sure.

1 hour ago, Mishko said:

Yes add validity, but I reckon neither top up the expired credit, the phone I bought is a Lenovo from True, I think it's locked but don't know for sure.

Send me the numbers via PM. Will try a nominal top up to see if it revives them.

1 hour ago, Mishko said:

4 days before I left Thailand at the end of August I put about 300 bht to extend both sim cards (I had bought a dual sim phone from True)

I did this in a 7/11 and they gave me a receipt but didn't realise the credit also had a expiry date (either 45 days or 2 months IIRC)

I am planning to hit Pattaya again either in July or August 2018

A top up of 300? Split between the two? Is this a Truemove H SIM? If it's a Truemove H Tourist SIM, it's not extendable beyond three months validity beyond the current date anyway, unless you change it from the Tourist SIM promotion.

13 hours ago, GreyMan said:

20c per minute is a lot more than 3c per minute and 128 kbps is just enough to keep you connected to the outside world, but not much else.

On the other hand I also have a SIM that gives me free worldwide Roaming and it's most useful for being able to keep in contact wherever I go. But I still need local SIM for streaming etc.

You can stream and get high bandwidth hopefully from wifi at your hotel or bar.

With T-Mobile, you can get free wifi calling, so 0c/minute. Of course, only if you are from the US.

48 minutes ago, GreyMan said:

A top up of 300? Split between the two? Is this a Truemove H SIM? If it's a Truemove H Tourist SIM, it's not extendable beyond three months validity beyond the current date anyway, unless you change it from the Tourist SIM promotion.

Now that you mention, I think I topped up only the SIM 1, this was a TrueMove SIM Social 4G+ that I bought separately and chose as the main, cause they were running an offer that was fairly generous, can't remember the terms now. 

The other one was included in the purchase of the Lenovo A1000, I got this from the True shop in the Tesco Lotus shopping centre close to Naklua.

PM to be sent shortly.

20 minutes ago, Biennial said:

You can stream and get high bandwidth hopefully from wifi at your hotel or bar.

With T-Mobile, you can get free wifi calling, so 0c/minute. Of course, only if you are from the US.

I don't depend on hotel WiFi and bars for Internet . WiFi calling is normal within WhatsApp/Viber etc

I prefer to have my own high speed connection..

• 2 weeks later...

Ais 6mbit 30 day 550 baht plan has worked out well for me

Can stream 720p anywhere I've been in Pattaya

Used about 15 gigs of data according to my own tracking app.

:) bangkok - 2 months :D chiang mai - 5 months :P pattaya - 6 trips and counting 
ผมไม่พูดภาษาไทย...ไม่เป็นไร!!

7 hours ago, ryanh said:

Ais 6mbit 30 day 550 baht plan has worked out well for me

Can stream 720p anywhere I've been in Pattaya

Used about 15 gigs of data according to my own tracking app.

I will be in Pattaya in May/ June and this sounds perfect for me. I only use my phone for Line /Wechat and calls. Does that plan include a certain amount for calls (local and international).

I am really not up to date with phone company plans etc, so I hope my question makes sense. Many thanks in advance.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

On 29/12/2017 at 20:42, gentleenforcer said:

I will be in Pattaya in May/ June and this sounds perfect for me. I only use my phone for Line /Wechat and calls. Does that plan include a certain amount for calls (local and international).

I am really not up to date with phone company plans etc, so I hope my question makes sense. Many thanks in advance.

Actually the cost is 588 baht and 50 satang. I don't know why people just don't quote the price you actually pay.

If you are only using LINE etc, you can probably get away with a 30 day 1 Mbps unlimited data package for 321 baht. *777*7153# (send)

10 hours ago, GreyMan said:

Actually the cost is 588 baht and 50 satang. I don't know why people just don't quote the price you actually pay.

True and 3BB both advertise all their products ex-VAT. Presumably because it makes them appear better value. I expect that other telecom companies are similar though I've never looked closely enough to be sure about it.
550B + 7% VAT = 588.50B as you point out.

Of course it would be illegal to do this in the EU, but it is also common practice in most (all?) shops and for most (all?) goods in the US which I found very annoying when I was there. At least here most regular shops do include the VAT in the sticker price, and only telecom companies seem to be different.

9 hours ago, KittenKong said:

True and 3BB both advertise all their products ex-VAT. Presumably because it makes them appear better value. I expect that other telecom companies are similar though I've never looked closely enough to be sure about it.
550B + 7% VAT = 588.50B as you point out.

Of course it would be illegal to do this in the EU, but it is also common practice in most (all?) shops and for most (all?) goods in the US which I found very annoying when I was there. At least here most regular shops do include the VAT in the sticker price, and only telecom companies seem to be different.

Agreed that it is annoying in the U.S.A when it comes to added taxes and ridiculous expected hand-outs in the form of tips.

• 2 weeks later...

Are there any new SIM-plan specials/deals in this new year? I recall seeing an offer a few pages back (DTAC?) that expired on 31 December.

3 hours ago, Sticky Fingers said:

Are there any new SIM-plan specials/deals in this new year? I recall seeing an offer a few pages back (DTAC?) that expired on 31 December.

DTAC double speed needed to be registered by the 23rd of December. Truemove H 6 & 12 month promos by the 2nd of Jan.

Truemove H special may still be running until the 15th of Jan. if using Net SIM 4G.

180 days at 1 Mbps for 600 baht + V.A.T.  *900*9959#

365 days at 4 Mbps for 2500 baht + V.A.T

Can't remember all of the True short codes.

AIS have the same promo;  Both 1 Mbps and 4 Mbps for 180 days and 365 days etc

https://store.ais.co.th/en/sim-card/sim-net-marathon.html

2 hours ago, JamJar said:

AIS have the same promo;  Both 1 Mbps and 4 Mbps for 180 days and 365 days etc

No info about giga limits, if exists?

Archived