Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Tourist SIM Packages - June 2017

Sick Water Buffalo

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what is the best tourist package for a 2 weeks stint, to cover local calls, line and internet, for hotspot if needed, thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...

Heading to Thailand for a few weeks next week. Starting out in Samui. And good packages on now that anyone can recommend?

i got the TRUE TOURIST package for 2 weeks, works great for internet and streaming, you can top up for calls in 7/11 so i would recommend,no issues at all.

On 15/03/2018 at 03:06, Man7 said:

Heading to Thailand for a few weeks next week. Starting out in Samui. And good packages on now that anyone can recommend?

Packages for what? How can we know how you intend to use the data?

Thanks for the advice on not buying the tourist Package. For my feb trip I just did a 300 baht top up then picked the package that looked right. This gave me everything I needed for my 3 week trip for half the price I would have paid if I’d taken the lazy option.

On 3/15/2018 at 04:03, iron said:

i got the TRUE TOURIST package for 2 weeks, works great for internet and streaming, you can top up for calls in 7/11 so i would recommend,no issues at all.

I did a True 1 week package last visit and had no problems.  It was plenty enough for me.

How much did you pay for the 2 week pack?

i think i paid 599 baht,got it in central festival mall,on the left as you go in to the mall,second road.

Indeed. I do have a dual-SIM phone but both SIM slots are already in use, hence my desire to get this package with my existing True number (with or without changing SIM).
What I would need for this is a triple-SIM phone.
Couldn't you transfer your number to a new SIM?

I don't get these tourist SIM things. I just saw one guy say he paid 600B for 2 weeks. My AIS is 300B for one month's unlimited data. Think it's only 2mb speed but that's fine for the essentials, particularly with WiFi pretty much everywhere.

You can set the same deal, 4Mb speed, unlimited data, one month, for 500B.

1 hour ago, Bobby137 said:

I don't get these tourist SIM things. I just saw one guy say he paid 600B for 2 weeks. My AIS is 300B for one month's unlimited data. Think it's only 2mb speed but that's fine for the essentials, particularly with WiFi pretty much everywhere.

I did that because it was my first time in Thailand and I didn't wan't any extra things to do in the airport :)

So I paid the 600B and got enough data with unlimited speed for the two weeks I was there.
For me, the "extra" 300B (that was under ½% of my spending budget) was for the higher speed and that they did everything for me. Just like I took Nam's taxi instead of the bus that would have saved me a lot more :rolleyes:

And for me, the 2-4Mbps is just too slow for anything else than chatting, it's like returning to dial up modem era :Hello5:

:Flying:4th trip - "The Afterwork" is finally happening in May :Cheers9:

4 hours ago, Bobby137 said:

Things are more complicated... some places charge you for a SIM, others are free.  I'm not going to squabble over 3 to 4 dollars over 2 weeks, on vacation.  Just have one less beer at a bar if you feel you got ripped off on a phone plan. 

You could have passed on a phone plan and just used free WiFi 'pretty much everywhere', right?  I've read that some do this...

I just have a cheap phone plan at home and my speed is around 50MB/s on LTE, 4MB isn't fast... unless they are measuring it differently.

been doing a bit of research for myself as need a good back up for Wifi ,  and arriving next week as well  for 18 days and have to work  so think is what I am going to for

AIS 4G NET.    http://www.ais.co.th/one-2-call/simcard/en/netsim4g.html  and stick 400 baht on it cover further weekly charge  & cover the odd call...as most communication will be via apps like Line etc, 

99 baht for the simm and 99 baht per week which gives 2GB per week.   So little over a £10 and think I will be well covered. 

This article seems a good guide

https://www.locationindependent.co.uk/sim-card-thailand-ais-super-wifi-guide/

12 hours ago, hioctane said:

Couldn't you transfer your number to a new SIM?

I could do that if moving to a different provider, but apparently you cant do it with this very cheap 2,000B/2,500B True one-year unlimited data package: they only work with new(ish) numbers. Some sort of promo for new users, I suppose.

8 hours ago, Gibsons1 said:

I just have a cheap phone plan at home and my speed is around 50MB/s on LTE, 4MB isn't fast... unless they are measuring it differently.

It isnt fast but it is fast enough for everything that I would need to do while travelling and staying in hotels. Things like Spotify in my car, live traffic data for my GPS app, and watching streamed video on my phone in the evening. The 1Mbs package would be OK for use in the car but not for watching video.

Only staying in Thailand for a week and just need data for use of social media sites and a few websites. No video streaming, calls or texts needed. 

I’ll come back in 3 months to live there. 

Can anyone tell me what would be best to buy? Perhaps I could use the same sim when I come back and get a proper package on it then? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/03/2018 at 14:45, Cosa1717 said:

Only staying in Thailand for a week and just need data for use of social media sites and a few websites. No video streaming, calls or texts needed. 

I’ll come back in 3 months to live there. 

Can anyone tell me what would be best to buy? Perhaps I could use the same sim when I come back and get a proper package on it then? 

What is best for you depends on your usage and location.

Both True and AIS have six month duration packages offering non-stop data; 1 Mbps for 642 baht or 4 Mbps for 1498 baht. Effectively 107 baht and 249.67 baht per month respectively.

Not sure if DTAC has something similar.

3 hours ago, NotASexTorist said:

5-04-2018 7-43-22 PM.png

6 hours ago, birdhaus said:

5-04-2018 7-43-22 PM.png

I think you've grabbed the wrong end of the stick there.  I quoted six month duration packages.

Apart from that, hose are not "no slow down speed capped unlimited data" packages, but packages with a fixed amount of data that slows down considerably when depleted.

No relation to what you have posted, at all.

On 2018. 4. 5. at 17:09, NotASexTorist said:

What is best for you depends on your usage and location.

Both True and AIS have six month duration packages offering non-stop data; 1 Mbps for 642 baht or 4 Mbps for 1498 baht. Effectively 107 baht and 249.67 baht per month respectively.

I checked on AIS homepage, but I could not find 642 baht 6 months package.

Can you please let me know the link or how I can get it from the airport? just tell 6 months package for 642 baht? 

In addition, I already have Thai Sim that I bought about 1 month ago, which was Data only.

If i re-use this sim would be the cost cheaper?

10 hours ago, Xfreak0000 said:

Can you please let me know the link or how I can get it from the airport? just tell 6 months package for 642 baht? 

In addition, I already have Thai Sim that I bought about 1 month ago, which was Data only.

Top up at least 650 baht and then click https://m.ais.co.th/ontop-package and then choose the second tab and you will see the package there.

The problem with this method is that you will use some credit whilst navigating and may not have enough for the package, so it may be better to top up at least 700 baht.

One way to avoid this is to save the direct link to the package and click through to it immediately once you have added the correct amount of credit. The link is here; https://m.ais.co.th/oZHBVxZU4  Click through it and then confirm. That way topping up 650 baht should suffice.

Make sure it's the correct package before confirming, as I haven't tested that it's the correct link since I'm not in Thailand.

One way that you can do it without having data on at all and therefore not waste credit before the package is applied, is to utilise the USSD code; *777*7267#

The problem with this method is that you'll have to trust that it is the correct USSD code. :)

10 hours ago, Xfreak0000 said:

Yes, you can just use your existing SIM if it is still active. No need for you to interact with the airport booth at all if there is a queue, as you can buy topups at the Family Mart at the airport too.

On 05/04/2018 at 15:09, NotASexTorist said:

I dont see the True one written down anywhere, though it wont be the first time they have had packages that they never advertise or mention.

The AIS one is here: http://m.ais.co.th/ontop-package?lang=en&intcid=getpage-en-header_menu-consumer_menu-prepaid_submenu1-add_ons_submenu2-add_ons_internet_submenu3

and they have a 12-month package that works out a little cheaper.

Archived