IGNORED

Tourist SIM Packages - June 2017

Sick Water Buffalo

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/international_service/visit_thailand/en

As I wrote before, you can just ask for the 49 baht SIM. They will try to tell you that it doesn't have any credit or data. Just lies.

But it doesn't matter, as you are buying credit. Just tell them that you do not want any packages, just to add credit once they've set up the phone.

They can take a look around on this page http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/topping/4g_topping_en.html to find a package that suits them best and either click on the Apply Online button or tap in the code and click send.

Newbies are Newbies. it doesn't mean that they are too dumb tap in a code or to open a page and click on a tab. They can save the page above as a favourite.

Capture9.JPG

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Bonkabit said:

TG fixed it for me. For 100 bahts we bought SiM card with credit worth 100 minutes talk time. Sales booth installed it in my phone and put the Australian SIM card in an envelope so I would not lose it. Can top up at any 7-11 store if you need it.

In the plane on the way home I exchanged the SIM cards. Next trip reinstalled the Thai SIM card and It worked fine. (Think it 'dies' if unused for six months).

You can add validity to keep the number alive for up to a year. Though not with TRUE H Tourist SIMs. They only give up to three months ahead unless you change the promotion.

12 hours ago, GreyMan said:

How can I tell you what to buy? That is nonsense. Scour shops? Why would you have to do that?

One man might use 5GB per day and another 1GB per month. Another no data at all, but just calls.

One might need unlimited Internet at a minimum speed, another unlimited Internet but happy with a relatively low speed.

How does a Tourist package cater to those people?

So that is where flexibility comes in. It's not just about "saving a few satang" as you so insultingly put it, following it up with "tell us all what SIM to buy", as if one thing fits all.

The point is to get what you actually need, rather than paying for things that you don't actually use and paying way over the odds for it. 

Exactly the behaviour that I described. 

If you can't be bothered, that's fine. But others may need help in getting what they need without throwing their money down the drain.

My reply was in answer to your hint at scam, being fair you have since followed it up with some informed info.

Saving a couple of hundred baht while on a three week holiday is only a few satang in real terms after spending thousands

Nothing I wrote was or was intended to be insulting.

1 hour ago, SLEUTH said:

My reply was in answer to your hint at scam, being fair you have since followed it up with some informed info.

Saving a couple of hundred baht while on a three week holiday is only a few satang in real terms after spending thousands

Nothing I wrote was or was intended to be insulting.

The hint of scam was created in your mind and once again, saving money is only one aspect of it.

It's about purchasing the product that you actually need, rather than a product that is packaged to make a profit for the network.

Nonsense about a few hundred baht equalling a few satang is just that...nonsense. No, a few hundred baht is a few hundred baht. Why throw it away for nothing?

So give your taxi driver 2000 baht instead of 1500. After all, it's only a few satang.

What the point of giving away a few hundred baht or even thousands of baht for nothing? I'd rather save it and give it to someone down on their luck.

It's about using your intelligence, not leaving them at home because you are on holiday.

Going on holiday shouldn't equate to being careless.

If the tourist package exactly fits your needs, then by all means purchase it.

But if there are better options out there for you, why wouldn't one go for the better option?

When I travel I bought the cheapest dtac sim card they had... Can't remember if it was 49 or 99 baht...

Then topped it up with whatever I needed.. At moment I am using Net lite weekly package 79 + 7%

https://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/products/3g-non-stop.html

I usually top up with dtac website.

Additional it is also possible to buy "days" so it doesn't expire... Can't remember the price... But it was dirt cheap.

I don't tether so for me this is good enough.

Sent from my EVA-L19 using Tapatalk

“See, the problem is that God gives men a brain and a penis, and only enough blood to run one at a time.â€

43 minutes ago, Jame Taber said:

When I travel I bought the cheapest dtac sim card they had... Can't remember if it was 49 or 99 baht...

Then topped it up with whatever I needed.. At moment I am using Net lite weekly package 79 + 7%

https://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/products/3g-non-stop.html

I usually top up with dtac website.

Additional it is also possible to buy "days" so it doesn't expire... Can't remember the price... But it was dirt cheap.

I don't tether so for me this is good enough.

Sent from my EVA-L19 using Tapatalk

2 baht per month. 

http://help.mobiletopup.com/knowledge-base/how-do-i-extend-the-expiry-date-validity-of-my-sim/

• 1 month later...

because i dont need speed whatsoever i just use the always on connection from true for a month forget what it costs around 207 baht give or take few satang works fine all month for less than a fiver

On 5.6.2017 at 06:44, Sick Water Buffalo said:

Plenty of members don't want to be fussed with walking around, getting a SIM, doing the top-up, et cetera from a street shop (especially on holiday). It's also an easy and simple service for 'newbies' to take advantage of - one less thing to worry about in a new and perhaps confusing situation for them. Also, convenience sometimes trumps saving a few baht, it only takes the kiosk workers a couple of minutes to set up, and personally I definitely want to be online during the ARL/taxi/bus ride into Bangkok or Pattaya, for example.

This! I can already imagine that after 10h flight, immigration and luggage carousel, I will be happy to just choose the package that suits me and let them to activate it. After all, I don't think that average BM can save hundreds bahts in few weeks holiday by first trying to get the plain SIM and then topping it and then finding and adding codes etc..

:Flying:4th trip - "The Afterwork" is finally happening in May :Cheers9:

5 hours ago, Mr_Peace said:

This! I can already imagine that after 10h flight, immigration and luggage carousel, I will be happy to just choose the package that suits me and let them to activate it. After all, I don't think that average BM can save hundreds bahts in few weeks holiday by first trying to get the plain SIM and then topping it and then finding and adding codes etc..

I've heard that people leave their brains behind when they go to Thailand....is it really true?

Allow me to explain it to you. You got to the airport booth, but instead of buying a useless Tourist SIM bundle, you ask them for the basic 49 baht SIM and get them to register it and top it up for you.

So you will be at exactly the same airport booth, buying a SIM. The only difference is that before you have even left your country, you check for the package that suits you best. Many people just ask here.

So if you want 4Mbps unlimited for a month, you already know that you need to ask them to top up 500 baht for you whilst you are at the counter. You can even hand them the code that you want to apply, if you are unable to tap in a short code for yourself.

Though if you are unable to carry out such a  rudimentary action by yourself, you shouldn't be travelling alone. You aren't ready.

It's not just about saving money, it's about buying the package that suits you in the first place.

6 hours ago, GreyMan said:

I've heard that people leave their brains behind when they go to Thailand....is it really true?

Allow me to explain it to you. You got to the airport booth, but instead of buying a useless Tourist SIM bundle, you ask them for the basic 49 baht SIM and get them to register it and top it up for you.

So you will be at exactly the same airport booth, buying a SIM. The only difference is that before you have even left your country, you check for the package that suits you best. Many people just ask here.

So if you want 4Mbps unlimited for a month, you already know that you need to ask them to top up 500 baht for you whilst you are at the counter. You can even hand them the code that you want to apply, if you are unable to tap in a short code for yourself.

Though if you are unable to carry out such a  rudimentary action by yourself, you shouldn't be travelling alone. You aren't ready.

It's not just about saving money, it's about buying the package that suits you in the first place.

I've heard that people leave their brains behind when they write to the forums....is it really true?

Allow me to explain it to you. You go to the airport booth, but instead of checking multiple half thai half english SIM provider sites looking for offers etc. then buying plain SIM and explaining that you only want that, then topping it, and then inputting those codes, you can just choose Tourist SIM bundle that they will setup for you.

So you will be at exactly the same airport booth, buying a SIM. The only difference is that you only need to choose the provider and package they'll do everything for you.

So if you want 6 GB data with unlimited speed for two weeks holiday, you only go to dtac counter and choose 15 days package for 599 and they set it up for you.

Though if you are unable to understand that others may prefer different choices than you, you shouldn't be using internet alone. You aren't ready.

10 hours ago, Mr_Peace said:

I've heard that people leave their brains behind when they write to the forums....is it really true?

Allow me to explain it to you. You go to the airport booth, but instead of checking multiple half thai half english SIM provider sites looking for offers etc. then buying plain SIM and explaining that you only want that, then topping it, and then inputting those codes, you can just choose Tourist SIM bundle that they will setup for you.

So you will be at exactly the same airport booth, buying a SIM. The only difference is that you only need to choose the provider and package they'll do everything for you.

So if you want 6 GB data with unlimited speed for two weeks holiday, you only go to dtac counter and choose 15 days package for 599 and they set it up for you.

Though if you are unable to understand that others may prefer different choices than you, you shouldn't be using internet alone. You aren't ready.

On reading your post, yes it is true.

Someone with even a modicum of intelligence can ask for "SIM 49 baht".

Then they will ask you how much you want to top up. You reply.

It is what they do and exactly what they used to do before they introduced the Tourist bundles for the ones unable to understand and would hold up the queue for those who do understand. (Put zero dollar Chinese tourist in that category especially since there is no Chinese translation on official websites).

But the supposedly intelligent Westerner has a website in English. Can decide exactly what they want. So can request SIM 49 baht, 300/500 baht top up and tap in code. I can assure you that the girls can do it just as efficiently as preparing a Tourist bundle for a water buffalo.

If it is all beyond you, refer to the first line of your post in reply to mine. The answer, in your case, is yes.

Let me give you a mini example:

Someone arrives in Thailand for a two week trip. The Tourist SIM package that covers that period is 550 to 600 baht.

But you can add a 15 day data package to a 49 baht SIM for as little as 107 baht. 

So the water buffalo paid 600 baht simply because he doesn't have the intelligence to buy what he actually wants. Instead he has to pay over the odds because he is too stupid and/or lazy to spend five minutes asking here or perusing a website for the best package.

Don't be embarrassed. If you are one of those who prefers to not switch your brain on before and during your trip, that is your prerogative.

But don't imagine there is some virtue in doing so. The networks aren't doing you a favour. They are just targetting the people who don't know better and the plain lazy.

It's your money, do with it what you will. 

Nothing personal. It takes all sorts...

3 hours ago, GreyMan said:

But you can add a 15 day data package to a 49 baht SIM for as little as 107 baht. 

So the water buffalo paid 600 baht simply because he doesn't have the intelligence to buy what he actually wants.

Please show me how I can get unlimited speed, with at least 6GB data for 15 days with 156 baht and I'm happy to admit that I have been a fool, otherwise you're just saying that people paying barfines are stupid since you can get it much cheaper from bush mountains...

1 hour ago, Mr_Peace said:

Please show me how I can get unlimited speed, with at least 6GB data for 15 days with 156 baht and I'm happy to admit that I have been a fool, otherwise you're just saying that people paying barfines are stupid since you can get it much cheaper from bush mountains...

Do you need 6GB of "unlimited speed"(you do know that even their fastest speeds are limited and there is no guarantee that you can attain them) of Internet data for 156 baht ?

If you only have 156 baht, then perhaps you shouldn't expect 6GB of full speed data over 15 days.

I don't need to demonstrate that you've been a fool if you are doing a very good job of it for yourself.

But I can help you to choose a package that suits your needs

But in answer to your query, if it were genuine, I can find 10 GB full speed over 15 days for 199 baht. So 213 + 50 baht for the SIM. 263 baht for 10 to 11GB over 15 days. Much better than 550 to 600 baht for a Tourist bundle that you don't need and won't utilise.

As I stated, it's your money and up to you if you are happy to waste it. I'm sure that the networks are grateful for your donation.

I was wondering at what time in the evening that the kiosks close?  I will be arriving in BKK in the evening.  Any alternatives in Pattaya if they are closed?

Thanks for posting, interesting for me anyway that all providers have landed on the same price point 550/30/4.5 850/30/9. Seems like oligopoly behaviour. 

Personally prefer True for their coverage, got signal even on top of a mountain in the far north. AIS has more wifi spots but that's almost redundant on big data plans. Their super wifi is very good if you happen to be tethering to a laptop to download game of thrones (legally of course).

:) bangkok - 2 months :D chiang mai - 5 months :P pattaya - 6 trips and counting 
ผมไม่พูดภาษาไทย...ไม่เป็นไร!!

Can someone suggest a package for light use, on a Nokia Lumia 520 (pretty basic phone that I think only takes 3G)

I would use it for 19 days, 3G for LINE use, maps and minor browsing on phone.  Wi-fi I will use the one in condo hotel for my laptop.

2 hours ago, Mishko said:

Can someone suggest a package for light use, on a Nokia Lumia 520 (pretty basic phone that I think only takes 3G)

I would use it for 19 days, 3G for LINE use, maps and minor browsing on phone.  Wi-fi I will use the one in condo hotel for my laptop.

What network's SIM do you have currently?

For nineteen days, probably best to get a one month 1GB package that slows down to 128 kbps for 213 baht. Then you can just add a cheap add-on to top up the data if you are approaching the end of the full speed allowance.

13 minutes ago, GreyMan said:

What network's SIM do you have currently?

For nineteen days, probably best to get a one month 1GB package that slows down to 128 kbps for 213 baht. Then you can just add a cheap add-on to top up the data if you are approaching the end of the full speed allowance.

I don't have a Thai SIM yet, would have to prebuy and collect from the airport or buy there I guess 

I'll be in a condo that doesn't have internet connection and I'm in Pattaya for 30 days.  In addition to the usual text/call and browsing, I'd like to be able to stream to a android tv box.  I suspect 4mbs would work if I select SD feeds or if buffering, I'd download to watch later.

I won't be watching much tv but would like to option to follow a few shows in season via Kodi or watch Youtube.  I imagine 10G would be more than enough for the month.

So would I get a data package to my specs and then tether my phone to the tv box?  Does tethering make the most sense given my situation?  Any other options?

1 hour ago, dirkdeee said:

I'll be in a condo that doesn't have internet connection and I'm in Pattaya for 30 days.  In addition to the usual text/call and browsing, I'd like to be able to stream to a android tv box.  I suspect 4mbs would work if I select SD feeds or if buffering, I'd download to watch later.

I won't be watching much tv but would like to option to follow a few shows in season via Kodi or watch Youtube.  I imagine 10G would be more than enough for the month.

So would I get a data package to my specs and then tether my phone to the tv box?  Does tethering make the most sense given my situation?  Any other options?

If you aren't strapped for cash, both True and AIS offer full speed unlimited 4G packages for 1605 baht.  Don't bother if your smartphone or MiFi cannot utilise 4G in Thailand.

Truemove H: http://topping.truemoveh.com/campaign/18

AIS: http://www.ais.co.th/one-2-call/addon/en/nonstop.html

truemoveh-unlimited.jpg

AIS.JPG

Alternatively AIS have an unlimited 6 Mbps weekly package for 203 baht.

If you are into streaming etc. I would allocate perhaps 1GB of data per day. So perhaps 30GB as opposed to 10 GB.

I prefer to download my content. HD as a minimum, preferably Full HD. So usually around 3GB for the average film. Can't be doing with buffering.

So an example for you would be to pick up a 49 baht TRUE SIM at the airport booth and let them top it up with 300 baht for you. Then you can apply the 1GB 30 day package  *900*1801#  for 213 baht. You also get unlimited access to any TrueMove WiFi HotSpot with that package.

If you begin to run out of data or the WiFi in the apartment fails, you can apply a  2GB/5GB/10GB  3G Speed Topping data package for 107/213/320 baht respectively.

TRUE.JPG

TRUE1.JPG

Just make sure that you don't keep more than 100 baht in credit on the SIM when you leave. That way the packages won't auto-renew. 

Use some credit to extend the SIM validity to the maximum, to keep your SIM alive until your next visit.

TrueMove H –  “Quick Add” Extend your validity for up to 365 days at a cost of 2 Baht per month

• Press : * 934 * 30 # for 30 days extension.  Cost 2 Baht
  • Press : * 934 * 90 # for 90 days extension.  Cost 6 Baht
  • Press : * 934 * 180 # for 180 days extension.   Cost 12 Baht

That was crystal clear, Thank you GMan, as always :Bravo1:

As I need to book a taxi from the airport on my 2nd leg, what will the queues be like at these booths? 

I arrive at Suv. Airport about 18:05 h on Saturday the 12th so I have to try not leave my driver waiting too long

Great info. I got a true tourist SIM In June, so hopefully I should be able to have that topped up On my next trip  in Sept.

On 08/08/2017 at 10:49 PM, Mishko said:

That was Crystal clear, Thank you GMan, as always :Bravo1:

As I need to book a taxi from the airport on my 2nd leg, what will the queues be like at these booths? 

I arrive at Suv. Airport about 18:05 h on Saturday the 12th so I have to try not leave my driver waiting too long

xmr_taxi_to_pattaya.jpg.pagespeed.ic.n3b

Prices may be 100 baht more now. Ask for confirmation. Book at least two days in advance, with flight number.

Archived