IGNORED

Tourist SIM Packages - June 2017

Sick Water Buffalo

Images below of the various Tourist SIM packages on offer from the main service providers at their kiosks in the Arrivals Hall of Suvarnabhumi (BKK airport) on 3 June. Per usual, I purchased from DTAC and the service girl had my phone online in perhaps 3-4 minutes.

DTACdtac.thumb.JPG.df60579b90e600a64ed91ce4fce6d2b0.JPG

AIS

ais1.thumb.JPG.387acf09c3947d8dadbb9988bf28a8ba.JPGais2.thumb.JPG.910aa7bd3ea4f8ebd99b40059cac8f6d.JPG

True

true1.thumb.JPG.2170abf7dc2ea355de8e8d90f00fa9f7.JPGtrue2.thumb.JPG.9fae4095a59844ce480d962bac6da440.JPG

(I uploaded these right-side-up, and don't see how to rotate images when editing under the new forum software)

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Sick Water Buffalo said:

Images below of the various Tourist SIM packages on offer from the main service providers at their kiosks in the Arrivals Hall of Suvarnabhumi (BKK airport) on 3 June. Per usual, I purchased from DTAC and the service girl had my phone online in perhaps 3-4 minutes.

DTACdtac.thumb.JPG.df60579b90e600a64ed91ce4fce6d2b0.JPG

AIS

ais1.thumb.JPG.387acf09c3947d8dadbb9988bf28a8ba.JPGais2.thumb.JPG.910aa7bd3ea4f8ebd99b40059cac8f6d.JPG

True

true1.thumb.JPG.2170abf7dc2ea355de8e8d90f00fa9f7.JPGtrue2.thumb.JPG.9fae4095a59844ce480d962bac6da440.JPG

(I uploaded these right-side-up, and don't see how to rotate images when editing under the new forum software)

Thanks - useful updates. 10 Days TRUE SIM is closest to what I'll need. You know where's the TRUE booth in Swampy?

11 hours ago, Candy77 said:

You know where's the TRUE booth in Swampy?

They're all in the Arrivals Hall (2nd floor) center-east area, DTAC and AIS are adjacent and True booth is a bit further along heading toward the lower numbered exits.

Seems like they only sell the higher end SIMs.

Or you can go to Central Festival mall in Pattaya to get your SIM.  DTAC 1 month 2.5 GB for 320 baht.  No minutes, but then I don't call anyone anyway.  Use LINE to call if you need voice.  Also keep in mind that even after you have used up your 2.5 GB data, you can still get online for the remainder of the month, at 128 kbps.

Tourist SIM packages are poor value. Only for those who rate convenience over value and flexibility.

Why use your brain if you don't have to do so? Let someone else do your thinking for you is what allows them to take your money for old rope.

If your from the US then most carriers have good international service included. If your only in Thailand for a couple weeks then it works great. I dont talk on the phone much anyway. I have Tmobile. It includes unlimited text and data for free. Calls are .20 cent a minute. 

16 hours ago, wadman said:

Seems like they only sell the higher end SIMs.

Or you can go to Central Festival mall in Pattaya to get your SIM.  DTAC 1 month 2.5 GB for 320 baht.  No minutes, but then I don't call anyone anyway.  Use LINE to call if you need voice.  Also keep in mind that even after you have used up your 2.5 GB data, you can still get online for the remainder of the month, at 128 kbps.

No. They are only tricking you. You can often just get the basic SIM at the airport and add your own package.

Expect them to give you some BS about there being no credit/data on the SIM. That's the whole point of it. They expect that the tourists approaching their booths don't know any better.

This thread only encourages that behaviour.

1 hour ago, GreyMan said:

No. They are only tricking you. You can often just get the basic SIM at the airport and add your own package.

Expect them to give you some BS about there being no credit/data on the SIM. That's the whole point of it. They expect that the tourists approaching their booths don't know any better.

This thread only encourages that behaviour.

Not fair mate, some people can't be arsed to scour shops and google to save a few satang here and there. 

You are clearly knowledgeable on the subject, tell us all what sim to buy and what package to add. I love PA but get slightly miffed by the endless , this is a rip off and you can buy and get cheaper elsewhere posts .....without the important follow up information.

Just get a 30 day 20GB sim from the DTAC stand in BKK airport. Simple, no fucking about, set up within minutes and my signal never once dipped below 4G on full bars. Used it to tether on a laptop, make video calls, upload to Facebook, make whatsapp calls etc and signal was always crystal clear. Even on Koh Samet the signal was perfect and I've heard people have had problems with some networks on Samet.

4 hours ago, SLEUTH said:

Not fair mate, some people can't be arsed to scour shops and google to save a few satang here and there. 

You are clearly knowledgeable on the subject, tell us all what sim to buy and what package to add. I love PA but get slightly miffed by the endless , this is a rip off and you can buy and get cheaper elsewhere posts .....without the important follow up information.

How can I tell you what to buy? That is nonsense. Scour shops? Why would you have to do that?

One man might use 5GB per day and another 1GB per month. Another no data at all, but just calls.

One might need unlimited Internet at a minimum speed, another unlimited Internet but happy with a relatively low speed.

How does a Tourist package cater to those people?

So that is where flexibility comes in. It's not just about "saving a few satang" as you so insultingly put it, following it up with "tell us all what SIM to buy", as if one thing fits all.

The point is to get what you actually need, rather than paying for things that you don't actually use and paying way over the odds for it. 

Exactly the behaviour that I described. 

If you can't be bothered, that's fine. But others may need help in getting what they need without throwing their money down the drain.

4 hours ago, DAKLING1987 said:

Just get a 30 day 20GB sim from the DTAC stand in BKK airport. Simple, no fucking about, set up within minutes and my signal never once dipped below 4G on full bars. Used it to tether on a laptop, make video calls, upload to Facebook, make whatsapp calls etc and signal was always crystal clear. Even on Koh Samet the signal was perfect and I've heard people have had problems with some networks on Samet.

It takes but a few seconds to apply the package you want by short code.

What about those who use 3GB to 5GB per day? I certainly do. So that is 1349 baht gone in less than a week.

Do you spend £30 a week for mobile data in the UK? That would be £120+ a month for me. Not sensible.

3 minutes ago, GreyMan said:

It takes but a few seconds to apply the package you want by short code.

What about those who use 3GB to 5GB per day? I certainly do. So that is 1349 baht gone in less than a week.

Do you spend £30 a week for mobile data in the UK? That would be £120+ a month for me. Not sensible.

It runs at a lower speed once the 20GB has ran out. What else would you suggest?

4 hours ago, SLEUTH said:

But if you want an example. You can get unlimited Internet for 30 days at a maximum of 4Mbps from TRUE at 650 baht + VAT. Unlimited TRUE to TRUE calls included.

In fact they advertise the same deal without TRUE calls for 450 + VAT. 

The Tourist ready to go bundle offers you 4GB or 6GB for 600 baht. Poor value in comparison.

Their basic 49 baht Tourist SIM comes with 90 MB of data and 20 baht for calls. So you are already up and running right away. You can then add the pack that suits your needs, instead of buying a suit that doesn't fit you.

2 minutes ago, DAKLING1987 said:

It runs at a lower speed once the 20GB has ran out. What else would you suggest?

If running at a lower speed was ok, then why not buy a SIM with a low speed in the first place?

I just posted an example with TRUE. There are much better options for the heavy user, but that might involve a little bit of user input, like having to buy more credit in order to add more data.

For some, that might be a step too far. :)

I use 50 to 80GB per month. Tourist SIM useless for that and a waste of money on top.

4 minutes ago, GreyMan said:

If running at a lower speed was ok, then why not buy a SIM with a low speed in the first place?

I just posted an example with TRUE. There are much better options for the heavy user, but that might involve a little bit of user input, like having to buy more credit in order to add more data.

For some, that might be a step too far. :)

I use 50 to 80GB per month. Tourist SIM useless for that and a waste of money on top.

It's not ok. I don't think I've ever managed to use the full 20GB in a months trip. I think I managed to use 18GB once. I just get the DTAC one for piece of mind knowing that I won't run out of data and won't have to keep topping up. Works for me 

The code for the TRUE packages were thus;

Unlimited 4Mbps over 7 days 150 baht + VAT *900*1975# Send

Unlimited 4Mbps over 30 days 450 baht + VAT *900*1976# Send

Unlimited 1Mbps over 7 days 100 baht + VAT *900*1973# Send

Unlimited 1Mbps over 30 days 300 baht + VAT *900*1974# Send

This was a promo. They might have changed the price since I left.

7 minutes ago, DAKLING1987 said:

It's not ok. I don't think I've ever managed to use the full 20GB in a months trip. I think I managed to use 18GB once. I just get the DTAC one for piece of mind knowing that I won't run out of data and won't have to keep topping up. Works for me 

Not a problem if it suits you. But for those who have different needs it might be useful for them to know there are flexible options.

There is no need to top up more than once. The point is to tailor the package to you. Not just to fill the boots of the mobile company.

On 6/3/2017 at 9:35 PM, Sick Water Buffalo said:

They're all in the Arrivals Hall (2nd floor) center-east area, DTAC and AIS are adjacent and True booth is a bit further along heading toward the lower numbered exits.

Is this located after you exit the baggage pick-up area, or is it in the baggage pick-up area? 

34 minutes ago, DAKLING1987 said:

Since you are a fan of DTAC, they also have a 30 day 4Mbps unlimited bundle for 649 baht + VAT

https://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/products/go-no-limit.html

Might not be for you but might suit someone else perfectly. especially if they use more than 20GB per month.

I should add that DTAC have the same packages for 500 baht and 150 baht respectively. But I don't have those links to hand.

oohoi4e2m3POV9Lw4wV-o.jpg

1 minute ago, Sexyfarangman said:

Is this located after you exit the baggage pick-up area, or is it in the baggage pick-up area? 

Once you exit and go through Customs.

Just now, Sexyfarangman said:

Arrivals Hall is where everyone is milling about, after going through baggage and customs and you are 'free'. 

GreyMan

Plenty of members don't want to be fussed with walking around, getting a SIM, doing the top-up, et cetera from a street shop (especially on holiday). It's also an easy and simple service for 'newbies' to take advantage of - one less thing to worry about in a new and perhaps confusing situation for them. Also, convenience sometimes trumps saving a few baht, it only takes the kiosk workers a couple of minutes to set up, and personally I definitely want to be online during the ARL/taxi/bus ride into Bangkok or Pattaya, for example.

For someone who lives or stays long-term in Thailand (or has heavy use edge-cases like yours), sure, it makes sense to seek out the 'better deals'. I'm sharing this information for the short-term holiday or newbie visitor (i.e. many board members) who will find it helpful to already know what is on offer to get back online as soon as possible after their journey, without first discovering their options while standing in front of the service desk, or have the concern of looking around for a shop and figuring out which packages might serve them well. (And also, much more likely to get 'ripped off' at some random mobile shop, than at the actual provider kiosk at the international airport!)

1 hour ago, Sick Water Buffalo said:

Plenty of members don't want to be fussed with walking around, getting a SIM, doing the top-up, et cetera from a street shop (especially on holiday). It's also an easy and simple service for 'newbies' to take advantage of - one less thing to worry about in a new and perhaps confusing situation for them. Also, convenience sometimes trumps saving a few baht, it only takes the kiosk workers a couple of minutes to set up, and personally I definitely want to be online during the ARL/taxi/bus ride into Bangkok or Pattaya, for example.

For someone who lives or stays long-term in Thailand (or has heavy use edge-cases like yours), sure, it makes sense to seek out the 'better deals'. I'm sharing this information for the short-term holiday or newbie visitor (i.e. many board members) who will find it helpful to already know what is on offer to get back online as soon as possible after their journey, without first discovering their options while standing in front of the service desk, or have the concern of looking around for a shop and figuring out which packages might serve them well. (And also, much more likely to get 'ripped off' at some random mobile shop, than at the actual provider kiosk at the international airport!)

A long and totally unnecessary post since you didn't bother to read what I have written repeatedly in this thread.

Once again...."No. They are only tricking you. You can often just get the basic SIM at the airport and add your own package."

In case you don't understand what that means.....you can just request the basic 49 baht SIM at the very same airport booths and buy the credit from them too. So no different from buy a partially useless tourist package from the same booth.

Request 49 baht Tourist SIM, let them set it up for you, ask them to add the amount of credit that you want. Say thank you and walk away. Where is the difficulty in that??

Once again, for example, the TRUE H 49 baht Tourist SIM comes with 90 MB of data and 20 baht of call credit. So even without the credit you will be online and can make calls.

Then it's just a matter of navigating to a page or tapping in a code.

So the long winded imagining of going to a street shop etc is just your fantasy, not the reality.

Then all you need to do is to tap in the code that you want, Therefore obtaining the package that suits you.

If that is too much for you, I don't know what to tell you.

So encouraging people to just buy expensive "Tourist Packages" just encourages 'dumbing down".

Apologies for sounding irritated, because it seems that you didn't bother to read what has been written before, so I have to repeat it so that you can see it.

TG fixed it for me. For 100 bahts we bought SiM card with credit worth 100 minutes talk time. Sales booth installed it in my phone and put the Australian SIM card in an envelope so I would not lose it. Can top up at any 7-11 store if you need it.

In the plane on the way home I exchanged the SIM cards. Next trip reinstalled the Thai SIM card and It worked fine. (Think it 'dies' if unused for six months).

Archived