Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Under 300 Baht ... And Good! (updated for 2024)

Evil Penevil

5 hours ago, Ohyesuare said:

Did any of the stalls have Isan food? Like Nam tok, Laab moo etc..?

My knowledge of Issan food is almost zero , I think Nam tok is the same as Pork Waterfall dish in the pic , correct me if that's wrong.

Screenshot_2018_08_22_18_36_07@2x.jpg

x3.jpg

Edited by Syco

Did any of the stalls have Isan food? Like Nam tok, Laab moo etc..?
Nam tok? you mean pork noodle soup with blood? If so the best place in Pattaya is Soi 13/2 Post Office22c1b7fc050929c5c9c8385a730e01d6.jpg

Im still searching for that perfect Laab Moo in Pattaya. Hope someone can recommend something. 

5 hours ago, Syco said:

My knowledge of Issan food is almost zero , I think Nam tok is the same as Pork Waterfall dish in the pic , correct me if that's wrong.

Screenshot_2018_08_22_18_36_07@2x.jpg

x3.jpg

Looks like that’s a soup. But the spicy salad with herbs looks like laab so they will probably do nam tok moo as well as it’s almost the same dish.

Two specials are worth mentioning.  The pics come from the restaurants' Web sites.

Kilkenny on LK Metro:

porkchop.jpg.6a4847a4507324b7651d28997a7a8b9c.jpg

At Retox Game On for 199 baht:

Untitled-1.jpg.f4e1a945c93745e9c72f57d18dbaf208.jpg

The description from the Retox Facebook page:

"Another new Retox Special. 
Pepperoni pizza angus beef burger 
Chargrilled angus beef burger then oven baked and topped with pepperoni and melted mozzarella, lettuce, tomato, onion rings , brioche bun and topped with a pepperoni aricini (sic)
Skinny fries 
Warm side of pizza sauce 
Only 199 baht."

Arancini are stuffed and deep-fried rice balls.  No one can fault Retox for a lack of originality.

I'm in more of a pork chop than burger mood, so I'll try the Kilkenny special this evening.

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

46 minutes ago, Footymadstreams said:

1AFLAPS.jpg

thats a good multibuy saving. Well spotted. 

• Haha 3

22 hours ago, Iamkanga said:

Im still searching for that perfect Laab Moo in Pattaya. Hope someone can recommend something. 

Same here. I'm actually still looking for the proper Isan restaurant in Pattaya. In Hua Hin there were few very good ones but in Pattaya no luck this far.

1 hour ago, jpmelville said:

Same here. I'm actually still looking for the proper Isan restaurant in Pattaya. In Hua Hin there were few very good ones but in Pattaya no luck this far.

There was one in central festival - where carls jr is located but on a different floor. 

Very nice, cheap too. I'm sure they have the laab and nam tok moo etc.

IMG_0397.JPG

3 hours ago, taylor1975 said:

There was one in central festival - where carls jr is located but on a different floor. 

Very nice, cheap too. I'm sure they have the laab and nam tok moo etc.

IMG_0397.JPG

i think it's called Tam Lae or something like that. They definitely have Nam Tok Moo and other Isan food, was pretty good too.

Last Sunday I went back to the Marquee on Soi Buakhao to try the 100-baht roast dinner again. I had the chicken dinner this time at about 4.00 p.m.

16.jpg.8a297083f2878f2387ea9fe1b6e4934e.jpg

I certainly couldn't complain for the price.  The chicken breast had been baked and was juicy.  The Yorkshire pudding was crisp and light, not at all chewy.  The vegetables and roast potatoes were fine as well.  

_MG_0010.jpg.f6604970535e161dfc08eb039e1fcbad.jpg

I had a cup of coffee (40 baht) after the meal and it came in a larger cup than you usually get.  All in all, I was happy with the meal.  It's not a huge portion, but certainly enough for me.   

15.jpg.5b9a702f25918fe0dcdfb6ac0a580a28.jpg

I've been to the Marquee several times on Sundays at 6.00 p.m. or 7.00 p.m.  and they had already run out of roast dinners.  It appears to be a popular Sunday option, even in low season.  Like with every carvery or fixed-plate roast dinner,  the earlier you get to the restaurant, the better it will be.

Evil

• Like 3

This is the pork chop special I had last night at Kilkenny on LK Metro for 175 baht:

Untitled-1a.thumb.jpg.ff2a133d8713089c43cec1f71ac4e369.jpg

Everything was good.  The pork had been fried properly and wasn't dry.  The mashed potatoes and gravy were fine and the vegetables weren't overcooked.

IMG_0018a.jpg.1d248568cdad524a792116ab2e81b395.jpg

My SML cost 60 baht, so I had a tasty and filling meal for 235 baht. BTW, the open bars and restaurants of LK Metro were doing a rousing trade last night.  Plenty of foot traffic as well.  I wouldn't have guessed it was low season judging only by the number of people  I saw out and about.  

Evil

I really think Jasmine on beach road is very good for the price. Thai or farang meals in a clean environment, freshly made with a nice air con atmosphere. 

1 hour ago, PBear66 said:

I really think Jasmine on beach road is very good for the price. Thai or farang meals in a clean environment, freshly made with a nice air con atmosphere. 

I don't know a Jasmine on Beach Road.

Or do you mean the Jasmines that is on Pattaya Klang ?

3 hours ago, PBear66 said:

Thanks for this always wondered what the Marquee dinner was like.

There is more information in this thread from 10 months ago:  Marquee  Bar's 100-Baht Sunday Roast  

Evil

9 hours ago, Taa_Saparot said:

Sorry, yes Pattaya Klang.

10 hours ago, Taa_Saparot said:

Pretty lame mediocre Thai food and fairly expensive for small portions is my experience of jasmines.

Did not try the Falang food

We will agree to differ. It certainly is thai food for a farang but i enjoy it and the staff and atmosphere as well.

Time for a healthy meal, or at least a healthier one, at Five Star J, Pattaya's leading restaurant for vegetarian and vegan food. It's located on the corner of Pattaya Tai and 3rd Road.  They don't have meat of any sort on the menu, nor do they use trans fats, palm oil, MSG or refined sugar in their dishes.  Vegan and Jain options without animal products of any sort are also available.  For less strict vegetarians, there are dishes with eggs, dairy and root vegetables.

IMG_0025.jpg.cdcb13f13824c9951bc4463a131c812a.jpg

I had one of my personal favorites, Swiss rösti with fried eggs, for 189 baht.  Rösti is essentially a big potato pancake made from grated potatoes.  At Five Star J, diners had the option of topping it with non-gelatine Parmesan cheese or vegan cheese. I took the Parmesan.  The rösti and eggs were fried in coconut oil,  Not much more to say than it was very good! It would have been better with an 8-oz. piece of rib eye cooked medium rare or at least a couple of slices of bacon, but that's impossible at Five Star J.

IMG_0027.jpg.29f403597b7812920bb978e00852474b.jpg

I also indulged myself with black sesame dumplings in ginger syrup (69 baht) for dessert.  The syrup had a much stronger ginger flavor than you usually get in Chinese restaurants.  Loved it!

ginger.thumb.jpg.0d0bd7916c92f525f64bd4e577003b95.jpg

One thing to note:  Five Star J does add 7% to the menu prices bur no service cha.  The rösti and eggs cost 189 baht, the dumplings 69 baht, which is 258 baht.  With the 7% VAT (18 baht), my total bill was 276 baht. Water is free.  I left 24 baht as a tip for the friendly service.

Five Star J has an extensive menu with vegetarian and vegan variations of many Thai, Chinese, Japanese, Chinese and Indian dishes. There are also several Western dishes including vegetarian versions of hamburgers, pasta and pizza. Prices are reasonable, with a lot of dishes under 200 baht. Everything is cooked to order, so you may have to wait longer than usual for your order to appear in front of you.

I did a longer review of Five Star J last year in this thread. (Link)

Bottom line:  If you want to give yourself a break from steaks, Western fast food, Sunday roasts, and Thai food from the stalls and carts as well as English breakfasts, Five Star J is a good place to start for tasty options. I'm not about to become a vegetarian, but in the interests of my digestive system, cholesterol level and waistline, I do try to eat at Five Star J a few times a week.  You can also order online and have the food delivered.

Evil

Great report. Do they serve beer/wine?

www.sugarcanemafia.com

1 hour ago, froddo said:

Great report. Do they serve beer/wine?

Yes, both beer and wine. Imported beer as well as the local stuff.

IMG_0055.jpg.3648dfc16e002dc572ed20f705b38048.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1