IGNORED

Under 300 Baht ... And Good! (updated for 2024)

Evil Penevil

20 hours ago, Evil Penevil said:

I feel in the mood for lamb shank tonight.  This appears to be a good option at 249 baht.  From the FB of Retox on Soi Lengkee.

How was it in real?

24 minutes ago, Marcus85 said:

How was it in real?

Unfortunately, my plans changed suddenly last night and I couldn't visit Retox.  I'll wait the next time the lamb shank is on offer.

Evil

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

On 8/1/2018 at 19:55, Evil Penevil said:

IMG_0002.jpg.a2579be8f626af67b3c37bbf3b515797.jpg

For a late night snack or even a light meal, Yakuza burger on Soi Marine (aka Soi Lucky Star)  just off Walking Street has been a safe bet for a long time. It's open until 6.00 a.m. every day. While most noted for its burgers (beef, chicken and fish), it also serves up hot dogs, toasties, panini, fried shrimp, chicken nuggets and spaghetti. 

IMG_0003.jpg.581e7124d8170f2ba013a12a3700b364.jpg

Everything is cooked to order in front of the customer.  The grill, food preparation area and counter were very clean, which isn't always the case at hamburger stalls. You sit on a stool at the counter, but it was more comfortable than the butt-assaulting stools at similar burger stands.

IMG_0007.jpg.e78e8249d322589d2079cafc14790f6e.jpg

This morning at 3.15 a.m. I had the 99-baht cheeseburger.  It consisted of a thick beef patty, a slice of processed cheese, fried onion, tomato and lettuce on a toasted sesame bun.  The ingredients were fresh and it tasted fine.  It's not a large burger, but it was enough for me at that hour.

IMG_0005.jpg.7459d0d92355bb16bbee93eacfb7f0a9.jpg

The friendly cook asked me to take her picture.

Bottom line:  This is one of my go-to places for a quick hamburger or hot dog after a night on WS.  There was a steady stream past Yakuza burger of girls who' work in bars that close at 3.00 a.m.  Some of them smiled at me very invitingly.

Evil

Am I the only one having issues getting these photos to load?

The performance of my PC has been crap lately, so that very well could be the case

3 minutes ago, Luv2Phuket said:

Am I the only one having issues getting these photos to load?

The performance of my PC has been crap lately, so that very well could be the case

Not showing on my iPad either. Nor are the ones in the post about Gnocchi. All others seem ok.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

On 06/07/2018 at 20:43, striderman said:

for jean claude van damme  and his chums it is open

5b3f71cc23087_6july001(Custom).JPG.71a265d6efe4dfbeb1a3dd556f89fc75.JPG

soi lengkee near buakaow end

I tried this place yesterday , not sure about this twice cooked selling point ......the chips were EXACTLY like the frozen oven chips I get from the supermarket back home 

1 minute ago, Syco said:

I tried this place yesterday , not sure about this twice cooked selling point ......the chips were EXACTLY like the frozen oven chips I get from the supermarket back home 

i only take the pics

1 minute ago, striderman said:

i only take the pics

No offence intended , I realise you're pics are just providing info to the rest of us , not your fault if any of these places aren't up scratch.

13 minutes ago, Syco said:

If they are the same as the frozen oven chips then they will have been twice cooked!   They cook them a bit before they are frozen and then when you heat them up they are cooked again.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

I tried Wednesday's special at Retox Game On (Soi Honey near 2nd Road)  by accident.  I was walking past, it started to rain and I didn't have an umbrella, so I ducked in to have dinner while I waited for the rain to stop.

IMG_0093.jpg.2b1cc4fc45929bc7f41448ba63718cfa.jpg

Conceptually, the day's special sounded a bit weird to me.  Why serve Chinese chicken balls with chips and curry sauce?   Was that what made it "English style?" Anyway, I gave it a try. I asked if I could substitute extra fried rice for the chips and the waitress readily agreed.

IMG_0086.jpg.d0248c717d8dfffd443bc2813a3d7f4a.jpg

IMG_0088.jpg.4773655e57b6bcfa46189f416e6763f7.jpg

I'm including this in the "Good" thread because the chicken balls themselves were very nice- lightly battered pieces of chicken breast, fried crispy but juicy on the inside. 

IMG_0090.jpg.ba10e0a82bcd04446946d33c4eff9d8e.jpg

I was less impressed with the rest of the meal.  The curry sauce was the blandest I've ever tasted-  no heat and almost no curry flavor.  The egg fried rice couldn't have fried for long, if at all. It seemed to me it was boiled rice mixed with peas and bits of fried egg. It tasted OK, but could have done with some seasoning.

Why in the world Retox didn't serve the chicken balls with a sweet and sour sauce on the side I can't begin to guess.  That strikes me as a more natural pairing than curry sauce and chips.  I livened up my chicken balls and rice with a few splashes of Tabasco and seasoning sauce from the condiment box. 

Portion size isn't a major concern for me.  I'd rather have a modest amount of good food on  my plate than a heaping portion of mediocre or poor food.  The special consisted of eight chicken balls and rice.  It was OK for me as I wasn't very hungry,  but I can imagine others would find it rather meager, even with chips.  There are farang restaurants nearby where you can get a bigger meal for 150 baht or under.

Retox Game On is offering Hanoi Beer from Viet Nam at 95 baht. It also has an "all-you-can-drink" offer on Tiger draft on Mondays between 6.00 p.m. and 8.00 p.m. for 499 baht.

IMG_0089.jpg.3eee1c46359ebc736b3af893edddf406.jpg....

IMG_0094.jpg.93fc97c4d175478ae6878f8658e7419b.jpg

Bottom line:  For me it was a good meal because of the quality of the chicken balls.  I'm less sure it was a good special at 149 baht.

Evil

Curry half fried rice/half chips is a late night takeaway old favourite here in Ireland.

The tiger promotion doesn't sound that good unless the draft is served in pint/litre glasses.

Still the alco's no doubt will love it. 

Good report again Evil.

If you had have walked to the soi at the back of Retox and looked to the right you would be at Everest indian restaurant.

Nice food and excellent service. You probably know about it but i'll mention it for others that may not.

Keep up the good work .

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Footymadstreams said:

One of the cleanest places in pattaya great food and  fantastic prices

Thanks for the suggestion.   I'm a big pasta fan and will have to try it, but on a market day when the Soi Buakhao baht bus turns left and not right on Pattaya Tai.

Evil

4 hours ago, Evil Penevil said:

Thanks for the suggestion.   I'm a big pasta fan and will have to try it, but on a market day when the Soi Buakhao baht bus turns left and not right on Pattaya Tai.

Evil

???? on a tuesday /friday almost all the baht buses running south along buakaow terminate at the market and turn round in the car park to go back north again

the place he is talking about is cala la pasta  off third rd

Edited by striderman

2 hours ago, striderman said:

???? on a tuesday /friday almost all the baht buses running south along buakaow terminate at the market and turn round in the car park to go back north again

the place he is talking about is cala la pasta  off third rd

Thanks striderman, the Facebook link is showing the restaurant being in Soi 14/1 off Pattaya Tai once I click on the map.

The address given in writing is Soi Bongkod which is where Google maps shows it once I searched on the app.

Cheers.

Edited by Gnorman

Two options to get there turn off the 3rd road at Cherry s and its about 300 m on your left after the turn off for soi bongkot or coming from pattaya tai down soi bongkot and turn right at the bottom  its about 50 to 70 m on the left

https://wego.here.com/directions/mix//Cala-La-Pasta-Pattaya,-Soi-Bongkod,-20150-Pattaya:e-eyJuYW1lIjoiQ2FsYS

Edited by Footymadstreams

17 hours ago, Evil Penevil said:

Evil

https://wego.here.com/directions/mix//Cala-La-Pasta-Pattaya,-Soi-Bongkod,-20150-Pattaya:e-eyJuYW1lIjoiQ2FsYS

I'm on foot. Is there a chance i might be bailed up by soi dogs when coming from 3rd road to get to this place during the day.

I have eaten a few times at Cala La Pasta, its cheap, popular in the evenings with lots of what appear to be Italians, all eating alone, there were about 8 single occupied tables last time I was in. They also have daily specials displayed on a board, worth checking out.

Portions, especially starters, are decent size, like I said, all cheap.  Quality wise, I would say average Italian food.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, superroo said:

I'm on foot. Is there a chance i might be bailed up by soi dogs when coming from 3rd road to get to this place during the day.

Ive never had a problem 

Don't know if this place has already been mentioned , it's on 2nd road in the Pattaya Avenue complex ,upstairs next to the Robin Hood Tavern.

There are various undercover Thai street food stalls , my meal was Shrimp with Garlic & Basil , plus Chicken Fried Rice . And it was very good , not a gigantic portion , but good if you want just a light lunch , great value for 110 Baht.

20180820_123606.jpg

20180820_121104.jpg

20180820_121048.jpg

a1.jpg

Screenshot_2018_08_22_12_41_52@2x.jpg

3 minutes ago, Ohyesuare said:

Did any of the stalls have Isan food? Like Nam tok, Laab moo etc..?

I don't know , but I'm going there now for lunch , and I'll will find out and post later .

30 minutes ago, Syco said:

I don't know , but I'm going there now for lunch , and I'll will find out and post later .

Cool, thanks.