Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Steak & Co. in Soi Lengkee (formerly China Garden)

China Garden

I believe the owner stated steaks will be served in a skillet but cooked on a grill.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

grill or a char broiler?

Sent from my GT-I9200 using Tapatalk

I have to keep reminding myself its a job :GoldenSmile1:
At Babydolls we are serious about fun

babydollsaddict.gif

Good luck with your new venture! And good riddance to Lone Star next door!

I work in the middle east without pork, so enjoying good food is an important part of my holiday. I usually go to Tequila Reef for pork ribs a couple times each trip but tried Lone Star last month for the first time and it was awful! The pork ribs were half burnt, the macaroni and cheese looked like runny tapioca pudding, and the mashed potatoes weren't fresh and lukewarm.

I am definitely looking forward to trying your restaurant when there in June. You seem to certainly be on the right track to being  the best new steakhouses in town.

He ran Lone Star but is a smart operator and works hard.

But you can't be there 24/7 and a business in the hands of

thai staff can turn to shit in a nanosecond.

Edited by ertert

Good luck with your new venture! And good riddance to Lone Star next door!

I work in the middle east without pork, so enjoying good food is an important part of my holiday. I usually go to Tequila Reef for pork ribs a couple times each trip but tried Lone Star last month for the first time and it was awful! The pork ribs were half burnt, the macaroni and cheese looked like runny tapioca pudding, and the mashed potatoes weren't fresh and lukewarm.

I am definitely looking forward to trying your restaurant when there in June. You seem to certainly be on the right track to being  the best new steakhouses in town.

to each his own, I like Lone Star better than Tequila Reef, my ribs there were overcooked, too soft, no taste and covered with a reddish sauce vaguely related with tabasco.

good luck to steak & co. , although I don't like hand-cut french fries much, I like them thin and well fried with oil that contains a hint of bacon taste.

McDonald's does very good fries when the potatoes are right, the oil is fresh and the employees don't let the fries "season" too long waiting for a customer.

to each his own, I like Lone Star better than Tequila Reef, my ribs there were overcooked, too soft, no taste and covered with a reddish sauce vaguely related with tabasco.

good luck to steak & co. , although I don't like hand-cut french fries much, I like them thin and well fried with oil that contains a hint of bacon taste.

McDonald's does very good fries when the potatoes are right, the oil is fresh and the employees don't let the fries "season" too long waiting for a customer.

McDonald's ? Are u kidding me? There fried taste like wallpaper paste.

Jeez there is no hope for us

http://www.undergroundhealth.com/mcdonalds-reveals-17-foul-ingredients-in-their-french-fries-including-gmos/

Edited by alanhass

Neither are great, but Lonestar was awful, which is why I am really looking forward to this restaurant.

Best of luck and I look forward to stopping by. :GoldenSmile1:

How do you get there?  I live in Jomtien...

Will you be having jacket potatoes and salads on the menu?

Yes jacket ootato & house salad all part of the side orders, we have other salads available as appetisers

Staying at CG for 2 weeks next month and look forward to trying the new restaurant out if the work is done. I am not much of a steak eater anymore (especially in hot weather) but will try the breakfast and the mexican dishes since the chef is Mexican....and I also live in Southern California with great mexican food everywhere. Chorizo/egg burritos along with huevos rancheros would be great breakfast menu items to soak up the alcohol from the night before. If your coffee is really good that would eliminate my daily fix from Loaf every morning. Looking forward to my stay and best of luck Ian

Yesterday I was trying samples, I have never tried so delicious black beans in all my life, he topped it with some freshly made cheese... as a fool I ate it before taking a picture. There was freshly-made guacamole ... but wow it was spicy! He said that was the traditional Mexican way....  Its not like anything I have tasted before and dont know people will like the "original" compared to the more bland creamy style. 

As a ex Army and Royal Chef, I am looking forward to your new adventure! My birthdays on the 19th June so hopefully you will be open by then? Am sure from what I have read on the previous threads that you are already well respected and got great ideas! Once again good luck.

My cooking times for a juicy sirloin roughly 1inch cut

Blue: 1 minute each side

Rare: 1½ minutes each side

Medium rare: 2 minutes each side

Medium: 2¼ minutes each side

Medium-well done: 2½ - 3 minutes each side.

Thats a good guide, we hard using digital thermometers to check the core temperature to ensure consistency. I need my chefs to get used to the cooking & resting process properly.   

Same general question I had, in regards to all places that serve steak in Thailand.

Thai beef is generally cheaper right? Must be of a lower quality/breed than those imported I assume.

I bought the best Thai beef I could from "Pon Yang Kham", they breed the cattle in Chiang Mai and have a chain of "buffet steak restaurants" (http://www.thaifrenchbeef.com/index.html), I have to say I was disappointed with the best and took the decision to sell "only imported steaks", there will be no Thai beef on the menu. You come us for a good steak not a 50/50 chance of a good steak. 

• Like 1

Im with you on the cooking thing but I think they look terrible.

There is nothing wrong with a warm plate with the food presented well.

Beefeater has mastered this and would be the direction I would take.

Great quality steamed vegetables or garden fresh salad (not full of lettuce).

Fresh sauces made with cream instead of water.

Pepper, Chilli, Dianne or Red Wine (no cream).

Fries are good to have as an option but some other kind of potato is better.

You know, slice it, put a bit of bacon and cheese on it, grill and serve with some chivies or spring onion.

Just something different than the norm.

Maybe Im the only one who likes that kind of thing :)

Good luck with the venture.

Lb

Sauces are made fresh from scratch using cream & wine, we are not cutting any corners. Potatoes will be: jacket potato, mashes potato, potato au gratin, French fries & if I get the cedar planks from the USA in time there will be piped mash as well (grilled). 

Bacon makes everything better! The asparagus will be wrapped in bacon and anything else I can put it in... perhaps in the mac n cheese! 

I see your point with the cast iron skillets, there would be just kept "warm" not enough to keep cooking the steak.... BUT  I am going back for me testing and will keep my mind open regarding plate. 

The steak will be served on a small bed of ratatouille (same as beefeaters).

a new steakhouse in that area is just what we need,i will try you out in july,looking forward to trying an imported tender aussie steak with mashed potato,yum !

+1 lovely cream mash, I was trying it yesterday and we was passing it through a fine sieve to make sure no lumps... but we are going to buy a potato ricer. 

Curious about the cast iron plates myself. Some high end places do it this way but shouldn't they rest before serving?

Dunno.

You "MUST REST STEAKS", its a cardinal sin if you dont as once its cut the juices would just gust out. The steaks wont be cooked on the cast iron skillets just rested & served on them, they will be no more then warm the same as a plate... we were trying to go for a "rustic feel".

Best of luck with the new restaurant. I am sure it will be a huge success. Looking forward to a medium rare or two when I come to stay with you in November. Well done. Keep up the good work.

Wonderful..cheers

Gotta agree on the skillet idea. I have been in the business for years and no way would I serve a steak on one. You may as we'll just leave them in the pan for an extra 10 mins until they are cooked to shit. Any chef that thinks it's a good idea is not a good chef. Cast iron also breaks when dropped so not as hard wearing as u think. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am still open to the idea of plates, my idea was to "serve" the steaks on the cast iron skills... purely presentation. Cooked on The Grill, rested on the side then placed on the warm skillet for serving. But I am going to review it soon.... I do take advice & I thank you for helping me. 

Cheers,

Ian

Edited by China Garden

Thai beef is horrible because there is no real beef industry to speak of in Thailand.

In the U.S. it's big business. I'm assuming the same can bee said for Australia. You either do it right from the very beginning (the calf) or you go out of business.

I've tried to tenderize and marinate Thai ribeyes a few times with very little success.

Thai beef is cheap for a reason. 

I have been an idiot for even considering serving Thai beef, I was possessed by demons or something...... why would I serve something I would not enjoy eating myself!! 

"NO THAI BEEF", I tried the best yesterday and it was not suitable for a "Steak house".  

We will offer "frozen Australian beef"  (its much cheaper) as the entry level cut or "chilled Australian beef" ... we looked at several Australian farms with Choice Foods who have 20 years experience, they are recommending which farms produce consistently good beef.  

grill or a char broiler?

Sent from my GT-I9200 using Tapatalk

We are using a char broiler... eventually I want to buy Josper Over which are AMAZING (800k arggggg)

I will be honest with you guys, I walked down Soi Lengkee & Soi Diane and pretty much every restaurant was empty with just a few tables occupied at best. I arrived at Beefeater and had to wait for a table to be cleared in order to be seated, every time I have eaten there its been the same, I have never had a bad meal there.

I am trying my hardest to not "rip them offer" and copy everything but I also have to realise they have been running a successful steak-house in Pattaya for 8-10 years, they are a well oiled machine & "there are many things I can learn from them".  I have set my standards high by even attempting to rival Beefeater but put my money where my mouth is (renovations / training / new equipment / new manager), I will strive to get it right hopefully first time but only time will tell & your guys feedback is essential to that, so thank you now.

Ian

Edited by China Garden
  • Like 1

The bricks arrived yesterday, there will be installed in 4 days (Thai days so about 7 days) then sprayed with wax. I am trying to keep the restaurant feel as "warm" thus the terracotta look. Some nice LED lighting & lamps...

We are installing 2 x 45,000 BTU ceiling air-con units to make sure even when we are full (pray to god) there are no hot-spots... 

bricks.jpg

Edited by China Garden

Please don't skimp on the sides and sauces! One of my pet hates is not having enough to eat with the steak.

Some of the best steaks I have ever eaten have been at a Ruth's Chris Steak House - and they serve their steaks on a 500 degree ceramic plate (http://www.ruthschris.com/menu/steak/) - maybe instead of "cast iron" these ceramic plates can be used.

I look forward to trying out the new restaurant in September on my next trip.  I am fairly certain that service and quality of food will be just as good as when it was China Garden.  I'll post a review afterwards.

Cheers...