Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Steak & Co. in Soi Lengkee (formerly China Garden)

China Garden

I think there are certain similarities in the appearance of the two places.  Obviously, purely coincidental.   :WinkGrin1:

What's the weather like? Same same but different :GoldenSmile1:

You beat me to it..LOL  

Filibuster..Please give it a rest  :Think1:

Mr Trader,  I'm just making the observation that it bears a striking resemblance to the places in London which bear the same name.  If you think it doesn't, then that's absolutely fine by me.  That said, if you address me in your post, I'm likely to respond.

Mr Trader,  I'm just making the observation that it bears a striking resemblance to the places in London which bear the same name.  If you think it doesn't, then that's absolutely fine by me.  That said, if you address me in your post, I'm likely to respond.

Totally understand, But surely one post would have been enough to get your point across ;)

• Like 1

Thursday 21/08/14

Booking/Reception;  I stopped in around one o'clock in the afternoon to book for 3 people for an evening meal, good communication, I explained that there might be more than 3 people in our group and would be in touch with amble notice to book more seats.  We exchange phone numbers.  Steak and Co business card with contact details needed!

I arrived bang on time at 7.30 pm and was greeted by name,  once I decided to sit outside and wait for the rest of the party , the outside fans where immediately turned on and asked to order a drink.

The staff at this point and for the remainder  of the evening where very polite and eager to please, to the point of being annoying!  And to be fair when you have 3 blokes taking photos of everything, they could have felt under pressure to help the success of a new business.

Complementary Bread/Butter;  Two serves for 3 people, bread was of low quality and  not fresh!  The paprika butter I will get to later!

post-82617-0-03127600-1408704900_thumb.jpg

House Wine;  I had the cheapest glass of white wine @ 160B, I am not a big wine drinker and quality/price is lost on me in that regard!

Starters Norwegian Smoked Salmon @ 260B;  Fantastic, completely enjoyed it!  What let this dish down was the dill cream and the fact that the staff took my plate away while I was only a two thirds finished!

post-82617-0-66912600-1408706022_thumb.jpg

Main 250G Black Angus Sirloin @ 595B;  Good size portion and cooked exactly how I asked, but I found it tasteless!  I asked for the peppercorn sauce to be served as a side and was served on the steak as well!  Big fail for me as a good steak, should be tasted first before any thing is added!  A member of the dinner party had his steak served with a different sauce than he had asked for and the sauce he asked for served as a side!  

Vegetables with the main where great all detente, except for the cubed potato which was raw!

post-82617-0-58319900-1408707511_thumb.jpg

post-82617-0-28665600-1408707539_thumb.jpg

Sides;  One side is included in the price and an extra is @ 70B very well priced.  I had the Baked Potato which was average and dry and had to ask for some butter (see later).  A nice dob of sour cream would not have gone astray!  I had an extra side Salad which was perfect for me, a light dressing with plenty of onion, tomatoes and capsicum.

post-82617-0-71367300-1408708030_thumb.jpg

post-82617-0-01743100-1408708125_thumb.jpg

post-82617-0-74562900-1408708131_thumb.jpg

Sauces;  Head chef gave us a sample of each sauce before the main,  all where of low quality and salty! Head chefs response was there is no salt added!  IMHO if they are not adding salt, the stock is too salty!

No Worcestershire Sauce, head chef hab go 7!

Sides;  I ordered a salad and was served vegetables, this was rectified!  Once again cubed potato was raw!

Butter/Cream;  Absolutely fucking horrible, Crazy Dave serves butter/cream with more quality!  Having that severed at the beginning of the meal spells out cheap ingredients and puts a damper on the whole meal!

Head Chefs response was;  That is up to the owner he supplies the butter!, Well fuck me, if the Head Chef can not order quality ingredients and the owner is hindering that, they might as well pack up shop and go home!

post-82617-0-34458700-1408709708_thumb.jpg

post-82617-0-43092300-1408709752_thumb.jpg

IMHO Head Chef spent more time outside the premises on the street than he did in the kitchen doing any quality control and not receptive to any constructive criticism!  Three of us gave a rating of 6 out of 10 for the whole dining experience, I will be back as I want to see you succeed, but until things improves I would not recommend Steak & Co! 

Thanks for the review from 1 to 10 how would you rate the whole experience?

Sent from my GT-I9200 using Tapatalk

I have to keep reminding myself its a job :GoldenSmile1:
At Babydolls we are serious about fun

babydollsaddict.gif

Totally understand, But surely one post would have been enough to get your point across ;)

It would have but some folk, including the owner and your good self, disagreed and chose to enter into dialogue.  I know this is the business owners forum, but I didn't think that precluded other BMs making observations.  If that's not the case, I apologise.

As an aside, if the scoff is as good as what's served up in London, the place will do well.

Edited by filibuster

China Garden please feel free to ask a Moderator to delete my posts and any others you want deleted  :Think1:  At the end of the day it's all about the STEAK  :GoldenSmile1:

(Please don't quote my post)   :LOL2:

Thursday 21/08/14

Booking/Reception;  I stopped in around one o'clock in the afternoon to book for 3 people for an evening meal, good communication, I explained that there might be more than 3 people in our group and would be in touch with amble notice to book more seats.  We exchange phone numbers.  Steak and Co business card with contact details needed!

I arrived bang on time at 7.30 pm and was greeted by name,  once I decided to sit outside and wait for the rest of the party , the outside fans where immediately turned on and asked to order a drink.

The staff at this point and for the remainder  of the evening where very polite and eager to please, to the point of being annoying!  And to be fair when you have 3 blokes taking photos of everything, they could have felt under pressure to help the success of a new business.

Complementary Bread/Butter;  Two serves for 3 people, bread was of low quality and  not fresh!  The paprika butter I will get to later!

attachicon.gif20140821_194524.jpg

House Wine;  I had the cheapest glass of white wine @ 160B, I am not a big wine drinker and quality/price is lost on me in that regard!

Starters Norwegian Smoked Salmon @ 260B;  Fantastic, completely enjoyed it!  What let this dish down was the dill cream and the fact that the staff took my plate away while I was only a two thirds finished!

attachicon.gif20140821_200105.jpg

Main 250G Black Angus Sirloin @ 595B;  Good size portion and cooked exactly how I asked, but I found it tasteless!  I asked for the peppercorn sauce to be served as a side and was served on the steak as well!  Big fail for me as a good steak, should be tasted first before any thing is added!  A member of the dinner party had his steak served with a different sauce than he had asked for and the sauce he asked for served as a side!  

Vegetables with the main where great all detente, except for the cubed potato which was raw!

attachicon.gif20140821_205353.jpg

attachicon.gif20140821_205645.jpg

Sides;  One side is included in the price and an extra is @ 70B very well priced.  I had the Baked Potato which was average and dry and had to ask for some butter (see later).  A nice dob of sour cream would not have gone astray!  I had an extra side Salad which was perfect for me, a light dressing with plenty of onion, tomatoes and capsicum.

attachicon.gif20140821_205405.jpg

attachicon.gif20140821_205439.jpg

attachicon.gif20140821_205535.jpg

Thank you Nixon for the review, the business cards for Gerry, Yuri & the restaurant are ordered... I'm surprised they haven't been put on display yet, I will definitely chase it up.

I am glad you enjoyed the smoked salmon, its Norwegian salmon smoked locally and hand cut by the chef, its very strange the service took it away part eaten! There's keen and there's zealous, sorry about that!

Having ordered 250g Sirloin the sauce should by default just be served on the side, only Steak Au Poivre (Peppered Steak) should come with the peppercorn sauce pre-pours, I will feed this back to Gerry tonight as well as the Baked potato / sauce issue. 

Thanks for coming in an posting

China Garden please feel free to ask a Moderator to delete my posts and any others you want deleted  :Think1:  At the end of the day it's all about the STEAK  :GoldenSmile1:

(Please don't quote my post)   :LOL2:

HaHa dont worry mate.... I decided not to pour petrol on the fire last night !  

I'm sure the scoff is good but "the decor" just looks like a straight rip-off of the Steak & Co place in London that was mentioned at the beginning of the thread ...  the frontage, the font used in the logo, the bare brick wall, the "quality" stamp, the button padded bench seating ...   :huh:

v

Now your getting to sound boring , I suppose your going to picket wetherspoons. !!

Please see my edited post!  I 

clicked send instead of preview!

o'lawdy .. .  Looks like I'm going to be making a trip to Pattaya

v

Now your getting to sound boring , I suppose your going to picket wetherspoons. !!

It's Witherspoon's, son.  As per the actress.     :Think1:

your lucky you have posters like Nixonsbeat on the ground giving you an unbiased honest  review on your restaurant

If this was my business I would be well pissed after all the money and graft you have put in

To be let down by your imported chef

your lucky you have posters like Nixonsbeat on the ground giving you an unbiased honest  review on your restaurant

If this was my business I would be well pissed after all the money and graft you have put in

To be let down by your imported chef

I have just called Gerry to inform him of the review and my disappointment, I'm heading to Pattaya to have a face to face discussion. Thanks again for the feedback, it much easier to fix these "kinks" at the start before they become "bad habits"  

• Like 2

o'lawdy .. .  Looks like I'm going to be making a trip to Pattaya

I stewed on this for a day before I posted! Like many of us posting here we feel that we have contributed to your business and want it to succeed! 

I purposely decided that I would leave it until my next trip in October to try this place as I knew there would be teething problems

However I feel you should have invited a few of the well known reviewers in - pre-opening to sample and advise

I probably agree with Nixon on the bread and butter but the vegetables were fine, as noted previously I particularly enjoyed the spinach stuffed tomatoes. The gratin was good, i needed a little more salt for my taste but easily remedied. Aon had the baked potato and sour cream was provided later upon request, probably should have been standard issue or questioned by the staff on order if i wanted to be picky. I was pretty happy with the sauce, i had the pepper, I didn't find it over salty, at worst it was a little mild on the pepper for my preference. The hero as I would expect was the TBone cooked to a close to perfect medium rare. As always everyones interpretation varies.

Blue Sky Group Ban Chang 0861415944 

https://www.facebook.com/Blue-Sky-Group-Ban-Chang-110095910415280

I purposely decided that I would leave it until my next trip in October to try this place as I knew there would be teething problems

However I feel you should have invited a few of the well known reviewers in - pre-opening to sample and advise

Socrates don't sell your self short, get down there and form your own opinion, there is no point sitting on the fence!

I probably agree with Nixon on the bread and butter but the vegetables were fine, as noted previously I particularly enjoyed the spinach stuffed tomatoes. The gratin was good, i needed a little more salt for my taste but easily remedied. Aon had the baked potato and sour cream was provided later upon request, probably should have been standard issue or questioned by the staff on order if i wanted to be picky. I was pretty happy with the sauce, i had the pepper, I didn't find it over salty, at worst it was a little mild on the pepper for my preference. The hero as I would expect was the TBone cooked to a close to perfect medium rare. As always everyones interpretation varies.

I'm in Pattaya Sunday & going to stay the rest of the week until my flight back to the UK the following Sunday. Yuri the manager changed the butter today to salted rather then unsalted, I have told them to stop the "paprika butter" and I will find something with Chef on Sunday to replace it.... 

I admit we probably did cut a cost on the bread, sorry... We bought the French sticks from Makro because they were the cheapest, an error on my part and we will find a local better supplier (Loaf or Continental) 

The roasted vegetables on the plate shouldn't actually even include diced potatoes, it's meant to be turnip, carrot & Asparagus which might be why it was a little firmer then expected, I'm glad you liked the tomato stuffed with creamed spinach, these are all little touches on the place in addition to the Free side order / Free sauce.  

I stewed on this for a day before I posted! Like many of us posting here we feel that we have contributed to your business and want it to succeed! 

I know you do mate... I need to know this stuff, Gerry is a great chef with a wealth of experience but this can lead to complacency in the kitchen.... its only been 6 nights open and I have high hopes of getting back on track in the very near future.  

• Like 2

BrisbaneAl I did not compare my review to yours, so why do you feel the need to compare my review to yours?  You did not eat my meal or drink my wine, you stated your review and I have  mine!

Nixon, honest reviews like yours are gold for a business operator which Ian will no doubt get sorted.

The Crazy Dave reference was a bit harsh but fucking hilarious!

• Like 1

What was the problem with the dill cream? I see capers and that is a great plus in Pattaya, most places I had this dish looked at me like I was from Mars when asked about capers....