IGNORED

Warning about Pattaya Beer Garden

10-15% of the cost of the meal is normal practice. If the meal cost 400 baht it should have been at least 40-60 baht. Would you give a Western waiter a 2 dollar tip for a 40 dollar meal? You're only asking to get screwed over with stinginess like this.

The average waiter earns 200 baht a day. A 20 baht tip from (each) customer represents 10% of his daily pay. In the west a waiter might earn $150 a day. Would he complain about a $15 tip?

10-15% of the cost of the meal is normal practice. If the meal cost 400 baht it should have been at least 40-60 baht. Would you give a Western waiter a 2 dollar tip for a 40 dollar meal? You're only asking to get screwed over with stinginess like this.

Normal practice where? only fools tip 15% in Thailand

Normal practice in Europe or USA. Are you trying to say Thais are not worth it and should only be given the crumbs from the table? Why go to Thailand at all if you hate the Thais so much? You're only asking to be ripped off with an attitude like that. What goes around comes around.

Normal practice where? only fools tip 15% in Thailand

Have lunched at PBG a number of times & have enjoyed it. Service wasn't too slow, but in the early afternoon the place was never busy enough to challenge the Service. Have never had a male server there, but have always found the attitudes of the female servers to be the best I have experienced in Pats. One minor bin discrepany onetime, but the service girl fixed it straightaway.

Most menu items are, IMHO, overpriced.

BTW, I am a great fan of the club sandwich; & I find that dish at PBG to be second to none I have ever had. A walkaway, IMHO, at a mere B100.

Edited by sandman

Normal practice in Europe or USA. Are you trying to say Thais are not worth it and should only be given the crumbs from the table? Why go to Thailand at all if you hate the Thais so much? You're only asking to be ripped off with an attitude like that. What goes around comes around.

your ignorance is really shining. Don't bring your western values to Asia. They are not welcome.

i went to Pattaya Beer garden for Loy Kratong. Place was packed. Food was good and much better than the last time i was there (free beer night maybe 18 months ago).

will be back soon

You're such a cheap minded idiot don't know why I'm even wasting precious time replying to your gross ignorance. It's morons like you that give all farang a bad name.

your ignorance is really shining. Don't bring your western values to Asia. They are not welcome.

I stay at Honey Lodge around the corner, and spend the better part of my afternoons at PBG eating the food (which I really like - the green curry is fantastic!) and using the free wifi. I have never had a problem there and have befriended a few of the waitresses (especially Tee, who is one of the nicest Thai women I have ever met).

The freelancer seen has never been as good as advertised, but then again i don't go there to look for girls.

Here is to hoping that the OP's post was outside of the norm, as I plan to continue my habits of wasting away the afternoon looking out at the water during my next trip in January.

You're such a cheap minded idiot don't know why I'm even wasting precious time replying to your gross ignorance. It's morons like you that give all farang a bad name.

you see the world in your narrow perspective. Thai's don't tip 15%, why should foreigners ? What right to do you have to enforce your culture on Thailand? Are you better than the Thai's? You seem to think so.

you must be either a waiter or an imperialist. Do you think Ireland should invade Thailand and impose your culture on them?

try a google on Ethnocentrism, your photo should appear.

OK here's my last word on this, not going to bother replying to what will obviously be an ill-informed, bigoted reply from your good self. Do you honestly believe being a 'cheap charlie' and tipping 20 baht for a meal is going to endear you to the Thais? Your attitude reminds me of the Raj in India who treated the local Indians with scorn and racist attitudes. Heaven forbid anyone should give a generous tip to a Thai waiter. Hey they may get contaminated by Western values if you do. Take a look around Pattaya my friend and witness the 'Coca Cola' culture which is omnipresent. Western music, clothes, the English language used profusely, etc. My guess is you're an ex-pat who yearns for a Pattaya long gone, when you could throw a few baht to a girl and be indifferent to Thai culture. Now that the Thai economy is booming and their currency is getting stronger it is putting a dent in your lifestyle. I come from a country which still bears the scars of colonization and imperialism. I'm even speaking a foreign language as our indigenous one was suppressed by fear of death. So don't even try the ethnocentric ruse with me. On my visits to Thailand I have, for the most, part only met kindness, gentleness and a great sense of humour. If I feel like giving a 1-2 euro tip rather than a 50 cent tip I will, and would never lower myself to your standards, as you obviously view the Thais as being beneath you and not worth a fair 10% tip. Why go there if you feel such scorn for the locals?

you see the world in your narrow perspective. Thai's don't tip 15%, why should foreigners ? What right to do you have to enforce your culture on Thailand? Are you better than the Thai's? You seem to think so.

you must be either a waiter or an imperialist. Do you think Ireland should invade Thailand and impose your culture on them?

try a google on Ethnocentrism, your photo should appear.

OK here's my last word on this, not going to bother replying to what will obviously be an ill-informed, bigoted reply from your good self. Do you honestly believe being a 'cheap charlie' and tipping 20 baht for a meal is going to endear you to the Thais? Your attitude reminds me of the Raj in India who treated the local Indians with scorn and racist attitudes. Heaven forbid anyone should give a generous tip to a Thai waiter. Hey they may get contaminated by Western values if you do. Take a look around Pattaya my friend and witness the 'Coca Cola' culture which is omnipresent. Western music, clothes, the English language used profusely, etc. My guess is you're an ex-pat who yearns for a Pattaya long gone, when you could throw a few baht to a girl and be indifferent to Thai culture. Now that the Thai economy is booming and their currency is getting stronger it is putting a dent in your lifestyle. I come from a country which still bears the scars of colonization and imperialism. I'm even speaking a foreign language as our indigenous one was suppressed by fear of death. So don't even try the ethnocentric ruse with me. On my visits to Thailand I have, for the most, part only met kindness, gentleness and a great sense of humour. If I feel like giving a 1-2 euro tip rather than a 50 cent tip I will, and would never lower myself to your standards, as you obviously view the Thais as being beneath you and not worth a fair 10% tip. Why go there if you feel such scorn for the locals?

so do you work as a waiter or another service industry that receives tips?

Hesitate to intrude on this,

Last time I was there with my TGF the bin was just under 500 baht I recall,

I had paid, got the change back and was going to leave a 20 baht note tip, my TGF looked over my shoulder and without speaking gently took another 20 baht note from the change in my hand to add to the tip,

She just smiled at me, took my hand and we left for Walking Street,

Guess she thought that 40 baht was right and not my 20 baht in this case,

On the other hand did notice that a group of farang (four I think) on the neighbouring table left no tips at all - perhaps they are the ones we should be having a go at?

Hesitate to intrude on this,

Last time I was there with my TGF the bin was just under 500 baht I recall,

I had paid, got the change back and was going to leave a 20 baht note tip, my TGF looked over my shoulder and without speaking gently took another 20 baht note from the change in my hand to add to the tip,

She just smiled at me, took my hand and we left for Walking Street,

Guess she thought that 40 baht was right and not my 20 baht in this case,

On the other hand did notice that a group of farang (four I think) on the neighbouring table left no tips at all - perhaps they are the ones we should be having a go at?

Thai's are usually very generous....with a Farangs money.

I'm breaking my promise of not replying already. But here goes, NO I don't work in a service industry or get tips! Actually I'd never tip for bad or indifferent service and I certainly don't subscribe to the American model where tipping is expected everywhere. I was in Las Vegas last year and everyone expects a tip there, which is a joke to be honest. This, however, is more the fault of the employers who pay a minimum wage, and the only way to make anymore is by getting tips. Hence the great service you'll receive in Vegas. All I was saying in my commentary here is that if you're unfair with your tips then you shouldn't expect great service either. Pay what is right and just and the next time you go there expect to get a service above and beyond the norm. This is basic human nature and has nothing to do with race or culture. Being mean denigrates both you and the recipient.

so do you work as a waiter or another service industry that receives tips?

I'm breaking my promise of not replying already. But here goes, NO I don't work in a service industry or get tips! Actually I'd never tip for bad or indifferent service and I certainly don't subscribe to the American model where tipping is expected everywhere. I was in Las Vegas last year and everyone expects a tip there, which is a joke to be honest. This, however, is more the fault of the employers who pay a minimum wage, and the only way to make anymore is by getting tips. Hence the great service you'll receive in Vegas. All I was saying in my commentary here is that if you're unfair with your tips then you shouldn't expect great service either. Pay what is right and just and the next time you go there expect to get a service above and beyond the norm. This is basic human nature and has nothing to do with race or culture. Being mean denigrates both you and the recipient.

I can't understand your logic. The only thing i can guess is you are saying since you have more money you should tip more than the Thai's?

Giving a tip is an insult and refused in some places around the world. Try to adjust to the local customs which is not 15% in Thailand

Likewise I can't understand your 'logic', so we'll leave it at that.

I can't understand your logic. The only thing i can guess is you are saying since you have more money you should tip more than the Thai's?

Giving a tip is an insult and refused in some places around the world. Try to adjust to the local customs which is not 15% in Thailand

Likewise I can't understand your 'logic', so we'll leave it at that.

your logic is upside down... Just like you reply to posts above the quote and not under it like 99.9% of the other forum members

Ah get a life Victor Meldrew!

your logic is upside down... Just like you reply to posts above the quote and not under it like 99.9% of the other forum members

I know ...funny though ...hope you don't mind me quoting above rather than below like 99% of the other forum members 555

:GoldenSmile1::GoldenSmile1::GoldenSmile1::GoldenSmile1::GoldenSmile1:

chill out boys, chill out!

:GoldenSmile1::GoldenSmile1::GoldenSmile1::GoldenSmile1::GoldenSmile1:

Do i need to put you two under mod watch or are you going to relax?

Regards:Matrix

When the life as you live it goes titts up, can you press Ctrl-alt-delete to remove it or is that only on the internet?

Posted Image

Do i need to put you two under mod watch or are you going to relax?

Nah ...safe enough ...as relaxed as a post-coital ladyboy (not that I'd know anything about that)

I would like to add my two cents on the tippng debate.My tgf works in a salon at jomtien,i asked her about tips,she says thais never tip her,ever, unless they are with a farang.She makes about 100bht a day in tips from farang customers, a 20bht tip from farang and this makes her happy,it means she has done a good job and the farang is pleased with the haircut.Once she got a 100bht tip from farang and was so happy,she took me out for dinner.I asked her how much should farang tip,she said 20bht ok,100bht too much,but makes me happy when i get.

The longer i live here,the more i realize,the thais who see us overpay and over tip,don't think we have a jai dee(good heart)but think we are kwai baa (crazy buffalo)

A waitress in a thai restaurant makes about 250bht a day,20 bht tip from every check bin she collects is good for her.

Edited by cairns8

Holy Moly!!

Ok, quick comments from Perthie......

This is a really old OP that got suddenly bumped. One BM had a bad experience at PBG a long time ago and somehow the debate has reopened.

Most of the PA crew, myself included, love the PBG for the relaxed atmosphere and reasonable prices (yes you can eat cheaper but compare the prices to home FFS). Service is generally good, and if sometimes it takes a couple of minutes to get your next beer, who cares, you're on holiday! Just look at the location! Worth an extra baht or two just for that view.

The Boss of the PBG is, I have noted, very proactive in dealing with any complaints promptly. He's also innovative, and seems to try very hard to make the place popular and farang friendly and to improve his trade. In any food related business there will be little hiccups on a daily basis. I hope this thread will die a quiet death now and not become a home for petty complaints, because it's surprising how quickly a business can suffer from such things and I'd like PBG to still be there when I make my next trip.

Tipping is an individual choice and not worth getting into a slanging match over, thank you Matrix for jumping in to settle things down. Tip what you think the service was worth and according to your own conscience, end of story.

Peace, love, and happiness my friends, chillGoldenSmile1.gif

Perthie

• Like 2

Perthie's PA Bash and Bikini/Glow Party 19th May 2017.  Bikini clad girls in body paint, great food including pig roast, free shots, games and prizes for the lads and lasses.

6pm onwards at Sexy In The City (Soi 6) under the hosting expertise of the magnificent Xylanic.

Edited by monkey01

A Thai girls arsehole is just like a 9 volt battery you know you shouldn't but sooner or later you will put your tounge in it